Glasses Fogging

Started by DarklingAlice, January 19, 2012, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

Okay, this is driving me crazy and I am not sure that there is anyone here who can help but it never hurts to ask.

I spend a big chunk of my day wearing a surgical mask. This time is spent in a very dry, humidity controlled facility. I cannot take a breath without completely blinding myself with fog. It's really becoming a huge problem and I cannot figure out any way to mitigate it.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Kazyth

I do, actually.  Rain-X your glasses, inside and out.  I used to do that with paintball masks, actually, and it can help a lot.  Just be sure to follow the instructions on the bottle and give it a day to really air out.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Caeli

That's a solution I never considered. Do you think that would work for snowboarding goggles, too? /joking.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Autumn Sativus

Alternately, washing them with shampoo or shaving cream tends to work as a daily solution, at least I worked for me when I played paintball.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Kazyth on January 19, 2012, 09:23:40 PM
I do, actually.  Rain-X your glasses, inside and out.  I used to do that with paintball masks, actually, and it can help a lot.  Just be sure to follow the instructions on the bottle and give it a day to really air out.

Would that be a whole day I couldn't wear them?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Oreo

Be sure to check if any of those chemicals would affect anti glare treatment (if you had that added to your lens package).

I had the same problem this past week while wearing a mask to filter smoke in the air. I used a strip of butterfly tape just above the mask, across the bridge of my nose. It stopped all the fog and forced my breath out of the bottom of the mask.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Trieste

I second the butterfly tape. The RainX wipes are good if you're doing that to your glasses, but the best solution for me was the thing that didn't require me to put random chemical fumes near my eyes. >.> And yes, you'd have to do them on a day off or wear spare glasses for a day if you go the chemical route.

DarklingAlice

Next question being, what's butterfly tape?

Autumn Sativus

I believe any standard medical tape could be used, but butterfly tape (I think) is specifically shaped to go over the nose.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oreo

Butterfly tape was the original name of medical tape used in place of stitches for cuts and some surgeries. Something like this should work fine. It's what I used.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

DarklingAlice

Ah, gotcha! We have a ton of medical tape lying around, just had never heard it referred to that way.

EDIT: before I forget, thank you, all!

DarklingAlice

Aaand despite having tons of it I totally forgot it when I came to the barrier today. Oh well. No way I am going back now >_<

jouzinka

This might sound very dumb and redundant, but have you considered contact lenses/are they an option?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Trieste

Contact lenses are safety hazards in most lab environments. Contaminants and fumes can get stuck under the lenses and held against the eye, causing even more damage to the eye than would happen if you simply squirted something accidentally in your eye (which is still not good, it's just that contacts make it a thousand times worse).

Oniya

*nods*  If you look at most of your disinfectants (and this is just the household stuff), you'll see that the directions for action after eye contact will contain 'remove contact lenses' (usually after a certain period of rinsing).  If it can be an irritant to the skin, you can pretty much guarantee it'll be an irritant (or worse) to the eyes. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarklingAlice

Trie and Oniya hit the nail on the head. Not to mention that I work in ophthalmology and the lab down the hall has multiple grants to study horrifying bacteria that preferentially live under contact lenses. And one to study how contact lens induced hypoxia can induce neovascularization of the cornea leading to permanent blindness. We're all too paranoid to wear them...

Oniya

I just can't get my finger that close to my eyes.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

Quote from: Oniya on January 20, 2012, 10:06:41 PM
I just can't get my finger that close to my eyes.  ;D

+1 The mere thought makes me nervous.

Trieste

Quote from: DarklingAlice on January 20, 2012, 10:00:32 PM
Trie and Oniya hit the nail on the head. Not to mention that I work in ophthalmology and the lab down the hall has multiple grants to study horrifying bacteria that preferentially live under contact lenses. And one to study how contact lens induced hypoxia can induce neovascularization of the cornea leading to permanent blindness. We're all too paranoid to wear them...

We're never having a conversation about this. I happen to like my contact lenses, on the rare occasion I wear them.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Trieste on January 21, 2012, 12:53:52 PM
We're never having a conversation about this. I happen to like my contact lenses, on the rare occasion I wear them.

Noted. Though you should only seriously worry if you you wear them for really long stretches or store them improperly. Or when you are working in labs. It's not like the hordes of bacteria are just waiting for you to put on contacts for theater or date night so they can jump in and use your eye as a jacuzzi.

As far as the fogging goes it was still pretty nasty on Friday, I must remember to bring tape with me next time.

Trieste

It's a little gross, but when I'm swimming and my goggles fog up, I find that saliva helps with that, too. I mean, I'm not proposing it as a long term solution but if you need to see what you're doing, a little spitshine might be a good stopgap.

Oreo

>_> Or, put it in your purse or the car now while it's on your mind? ..unless you're posting from work.

DarklingAlice

Saliva would be good if it doesn't wear off. Once I am in the facility the mask has to stay on. Can't even blow my nose without going out to a special dirty area and then back in through an air shower. So getting more spit mid procedure is right out.

@Oreo: Posting from home! I can't really post from work that well...I so need a phone upgrade. The problem is that I am at home now, and the medical tape is in the lab...but I made a note in the day planner that I have outsourced so much of my memory to, so I should remember to try it out on Monday.

Oreo

I gmail myself calendar notes all the time. Thank goodness for the internet, or I'd have either: Post-its suck all over me, or my hands and arms covered in ink stained reminders.

Trieste

Pretty sure that if someone took my dayplanner right now, I'd forget my own birthday.