The Division (Espionage/Action)[Recruiting 1x Agent] Now Open!

Started by Lyndsey, January 18, 2014, 10:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndsey

Hello all! This game is now open, though we are always looking for new writers who would like to have their characters involved, feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in doing so!

Updates!

NEW We are looking for one more writer interested in playing an agent, preferably with the following qualities/skills:

• Intellectually gifted
  • Skilled with technology and gadgets
  • little to no combat experience

If you would like you character to have existing connections to any active characters, be sure to seek the owner of the character in question's permission beforehand.

Interested parties can submit a character sheet or discuss ideas via PM

Interested parties, feel free to go ahead and submit a character sheet, and it would be a good idea to differentiate your characters from those already in the thread.

I would now also like to open up recruitment to include side characters. Basically, this is for people who are not interested in playing agents, but would like to have their characters involved in a mission or two, or even the plot in general. Parties interested in this can contact me via PM to discuss their ideas.

The plot:

Set in 2014, a United States government reeling from the financial burden of fighting the recent wars has had to cut back on its spending. Several agencies are particularly hit hard by budget cuts, with the government preferring to pump most of its reduced defense budget into the regular military. Out of necessity, a new covert agency is created, simply called 'the division'. Picking a select few of the best individuals from the various agencies and military factions, this small group is intended to do the jobs of many, accomplishing whatever tasks their country requires of them around the world, while giving the government complete deniability at the same time. These agents are bound by no jurisdiction, and can go places and do things that no one else can within the boundaries of the law, however, should any of them be captured, the government will deny any knowledge of their existence.

The setting:

The division's headquarters is housed in the heart of Manhattan, New York in an upscale apartment building. The apartment consists of living quarters for all agents should they require it, along with a gym, a tech room and a work room which houses all the weapons and equipment provided.

Some pictures of the setting (75 Wall Street):

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Guidelines:

guidelines

• The expected posting rate for all players involved is at least once every three days. I understand some may be able to do multiple posts per day, while for others real life may get in the way sometimes. If you are unlikely to be available for an extended period of time, be sure to let me know. You may allow other writers to NPC your character if you wish, or simply have him/her uninvolved if you require an absence. I reserve the right to remove any character who has been inactive for an unreasonable period of time.

• While I don't think there is a reason to be strict on the posting length, please give your fellow writers enough to work with. I am confident that all parties involved have the ability to do so, and this is a just a friendly reminder.  :-)

• If for any reason you need to leave the game, do inform your fellow writers. It's only polite.

• No god-modding without other players' approval. You control only your character.

• NPCs. Various NPCs are expected to be involved throughout the course of this game, and all players are expected to share the load of creation and writing as necessary.

• Side threads. It is expected that side threads will become necessary over the course of the game, both to allow for interactions between smaller groups of characters and to keep the main plot moving along. Be sure to notify whenever a side thread is created so that it can be listed and linked.

Important links:

The Division IC Thread

The Division Character Sheets

The Division Recruitment Thread

Character sheet

Name:

Place of birth:

Physical description and picture:

Skills:

Personality:

Character background:

Foxy DeVille

Sounds like fun...

Name: Tesla Gage

Place of birth: Palmdale, CA

Physical description and picture: Stands 5' 7” and weighs 121 pounds. Brown hair and brown eyes. Measurements are 34C-23-33. Wears solid dark colors.

Skills: Brilliant at computer programming and hacking. Well-versed in surveillance technology. Has studied economics, political science and philosophy. Fluent in English, German, and Russian. Stays fit by training in kickboxing.

Personality: Tesla considers herself both an Objectivist and a libertarian. She strongly believes in personal freedom and distrusts the government. She has little regard for laws and societal rules that she considers restricting her individual liberty. The more “taboo” something is the more she likes it. Tesla can be arrogant, elitist, self-absorbed, and insensitive. Her lack of empathy and impatience with social norms can make her come across as cold and rude. On the other hand, she rarely acts out of malice.

Character background: Born to a middle class family, Tesla Gage was a very bright child with an intense desire to learn all she could. Reading Ayn Rand when she was eight years old helped shaped her personal philosophy. Tesla graduated high school when she was sixteen and earned degrees in computer science, economics, and political science when she was nineteen from Stamford University. She was also a notorious hacker. Calling herself “Argounova” after the protagonist of Rand's We the Living, she uncovered many dirty secrets of the government and leaked them to the media. This led to her arrest and she was prepared to be a martyr for her beliefs. Instead Tesla was offered the chance to be the hacker for "the Division" and uncover far darker secrets than she could imagine. She accepted the offer although her personal philosophy frequently clashes with those of her colleagues. 

Lyndsey

Thank you for the interest foxy! I suppose in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to post a bio for the character I would like to play while waiting to see if there's any more interest in this idea.

Name: Evangeline Rose

Place of birth: Jersey City, New Jersey

Physical description and picture: Evangeline stands at 5'6", with shoulder length blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. While not physically imposing, she is agile and light on her feet. While not on the job, she can come across as rather plain, and can usually found in jeans, t-shirts, tanks and sneakers. On the job, she is able to pull off many looks, picking whichever is best to suit her needs.

Skills: Expert marksman, Social chameleon, Quick and agile, Keen observational skills, intuition and intellect. Skilled driver, and knowledge of vehicles, gleaned from her time working with her father in his garage.

Personality: Cynical, cold and calculating, Evangeline has been dubbed the 'ice queen' at her old precinct. She is an extremely private person and rarely reveals her thoughts and feelings to anyone. She has trust issues and is only truly open with a small handful that she has let into her inner circle, though those that manage to make it that far will find a warm and kind-hearted individual. Usually quiet and reserved, she is very observant and quick-witted, and relies on her intelligence rather than physical prowess in a confrontation. She is an excellent liar, able to blend in effortlessly in a variety of social scenarios.

Character background:

Born Evan Rose, the only child to an average suburban family in New Jersey, Evan's early childhood was a happy one. Everything would change one fateful night when Evan was five however, when his mother was murdered in an apparent mugging gone wrong. Growing up without a feminine figure in his life, the child gradually became interested in the fairer sex to the point of obsession. Initially dismissing his child's behavior as just a phase, Evan's father did his best to raise him on his own, even though running the garage he owned took up most of his time. It would soon become apparent however, that what Evan had been going through was anything but a phase, and the man eventually relented and allowed his child to get the treatments and surgeries to became who he was both inside and out at the age of sixteen. Evan had become Evangeline.

A bright and intelligent child, Evangeline easily breezed through high school, graduating close to the top of the class. Everyone expected her to go on to study to become a doctor, or a lawyer like her mother. However, never one to conform to other's expectations, Evangeline decided instead to move across the Hudson and join the NYPD, determined to make a difference and not allow another child to suffer growing up without a parent, like she did. Discriminated against because of her unique past, Evangeline had to work doubly hard compared to her peers to prove herself, scoring top marks in the police academy while becoming one of the best shots the NYPD has ever seen, before racking up an impressive string of arrests to make the rank of detective at the age of twenty-four. However, she would eventually find that having a successful career in the department was not just about being a good cop, but about being able to play the game of office politics as well. Still plagued by discrimination and regarded as something of a joke by most around her, Evangeline's career stalled, and she began to take increasingly bigger risks in an effort to crack cases, her methods occasionally sliding into the realm of recklessness. Not that it made any difference. Evangeline found herself at a dead-end, unable to move forward. It was no surprise then, that she jumped at the chance when 'the division' came calling, seeing an opportunity to make a difference in the world yet.

TheLegionary

Lyndsey

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on January 19, 2014, 05:58:00 PM

Huh.

I was actually saw this Lyndsey's request thread the other week and thought about pitching something... But now that it's heeeere...

(Apologies to the Canadians. I date one of you and I like a lot of what you do, but I need to make my jokes.)

Name: Charlie Burton

Place of birth: Canada, wherever that is...

Physical description and picture: Five nothing, a hundred and nothing, Boy hipped, pear-ish around the thighs and having "tidy" breasts. Ms. Burton hacks her black hair down to "medium" length every so often and the pair of inkstain blue eyes staring out from her glasses never seem to end up meeting anyone else's. May be Irish, Japanese or Black, we're not quite sure.

Skills: Information Resource Management (Hyper Librarian-ism,) Multitasking, Memorization, Coffee Brewing

Personality: Aloof, good humored and a tendency to overshare personal details, "Charlie" is probably on the high functioning end of the autism scale, maybe a female case of Aspergers Syndrome. For most people this translates to Geeky, Technical and Trustworthy. She clearly enjoy routines and organizing things, but isn't exactly sure of what to do with herself around other people when there are no goals or defined activities.

Background (short):

Charlie Burton ran an intellectual property theft ring that did five billion dollars damage in textbook downloads alone.

There are two reasons you've never heard of her.

Reason number one: Canada is a backwater. Their mafia pulls maple syrup heists. They're also a hotbed of filthy, disgusting copyright infringers, who go about freely. Their capital, Toronto, is one of the most ethnically diverse cities anywhere. It's absolute hell on a foreign intelligence agency with a policy of racial profiling. It's even worse for agent Evan Evans, whose assignment to a research universty in the city with a population of more than sixty-thousand undergraduates was based on him having so called "Mathew Broderick" syndrome.

Evan was a poorly named, twenty-eight year old CIA agent who only shaved about once a week.

Like all genuine intelligence operations, his was low tech. Students came there for grad work, students did undergrad there and went elsewhere for grad work. Evan talked to them. He bought coffees, pointed them to resources, was their friend. Not a lot, but a little, making a network of contacts... mostly named Doug.

Charlie helped Evan infiltrate those meetings that a white, straight male just didn't pass mustard in and did it with alarming resources and professionalism, but it never occured to him she was the mastermind. Mastermind of what? A network of students with cells all over the world recording lectures, copying books and crowdsourcing their homework. He felt a bit bad about that. So, he turned up to one of her interrogations.

The twenty-year old was puzzled, almost curious, as if she couldn't understand why a pair of suits were rehashing the same points over and over again: The end of her life, prison forever, character assassination, the four or five people near the core of the non-organization getting the same treatment unless she gave up everything. They asserted she'd given nuclear secrets to terrorists, as if they couldn't get the same from a standard education or wikipedia. The oddest part of all was the point they finally came to... They wanted to offer her a job.

Hackers worked for internet security companies, safe crackers invented the next generation of vaults and

Charlie took it. Which is reason number two why you've never heard of her. Charlie has been shilling for the feds since twenty-twelve.

Why?

Because an agent named Evan Evans knocked for entry, came into a tiny concrete room, apologized for the mess he'd made... and said a magic word to the world's least infamous anarchist.

He said please.

And unless I'm wayyyyy off of game flavor (again, ugh) I guess I'll tack on a long intro and maybe some sample scene stuff.

*shrugs*

Um, I'll check in later with the thread I guess...

Ah you did?

Thank you for the interest by the way! Seems to be coming along nicely so far, would like to see a few male characters too!  ;D

Roxy Rocket

What? I thought you were keeping them all in freezer and were just going to thaw a few for our use later on.

*coughs*

I mean, cruelty to animals is wrong?

*looks shifty*

Aaaand I'll try to distinguish my gal from Foxy's a little more cause I didn't really read hers cause I'm clearly a self absorbed, horrible person.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on January 19, 2014, 06:33:39 PM

Aaaand I'll try to distinguish my gal from Foxy's a little more cause I didn't really read hers cause I'm clearly a self absorbed, horrible person.

In your defense, I added stuff to flesh out her personality after our Fearless Leader made some changes to the character sheet, so you might have read it before I did all that. And I personally didn't find our chicas too similar.

Roxy Rocket

Yup. But they're both next door to "the girl who uses computers."

And? Hilarious? I actually had a paragraph that referenced mine reading Ayn Rand. Not as a philosophical thingy, more like... the unlimited attention span of the odd geekazoid.

Also, I came up with Evan Evans as Codename: Wonderbread... then go back and find... "Evangeline Rose used to be Evan Rose."

*facepalms rothar a lot*

La. Can't win. Caaaaan't win.

Ace Flyer

Count me interested. I'll try to have a character profile up a bit later tonight.

Vostroya

Hey everyone, I've been talking to our lovely GM and I am to be the arch villain of our little adventure.

Lyndsey

Quote from: Ace Flyer on January 19, 2014, 07:41:01 PM
Count me interested. I'll try to have a character profile up a bit later tonight.

Looking forward to it!

ElvenKitten

Name: Alexandria Walker

Place of Birth: United Kingdom

Physical description and picture: Alexandria is 5' 8" and weighs 120lbs

Skills: Infiltration, hacking, fluent in German, Japanese, Russian and Mandarin, Skilled in martial arts and marksmanship.

Personality: Alexandra is outwardly cheerful and easygoing most of the time, however she does have a fiery temper at times. She is a bit of a flirt and has a bit of a reputation for sleeping around. Her cheerful nature may be a mask for her loneliness and isolation.

Character background: Alexandra grew up in a wealthy family as a child prodigy. Alexandra started her career in espionage at just eleven years old hacking sites for anarchist groups and causing mayhem in general. She grew bored and turned her attention to martial arts, her father indulged her whims providing her with equipment. Her attention turned to languages though her martial arts training continued.

On her eighteenth birthday she was recruited by MI5 as an analyst. At eighteen she applied to work in field operations and passed top of her class in all the tests. She was however rejected and decided to leave MI5 for somewhere that appreciated her talents.

Hope she isn't too close to the others

Ace Flyer

Name: Leonid Shepard
Place of Birth: U.S.A

Physical Description and Picture:
Leonid stands at about 6'1", with short brown hair and green eyes. He's kept in shape from his time in the service, holding himself still to the standards the Marines set for him. Typically he dresses in casual, everyman's clothes (jeans, t-shirt, Carhartt jacket), but he adapts as needed depending on where he is. Most of the time, though, that outfit there is good enough for his bar of choice, not too far away from the Division HQ.

Skills: Expert marksman and interrogator, skilled leader and tactician, quick reaction time, well-trained in Marine CQB and Krav Maga.

Personality: Calm and professional, Leo used to be the perfect soldier and operative. He was the guy that would be given orders and command didn't have to worry for a second that they wouldn't be filled. He values and tries to protect those that serve with and under him, but after his last mission before joining the Division, he's tried to be more distant.

Character Background: A star athlete in high school, Leonid surprised everyone that knew him by deciding to join the military when he graduated instead of taking a full sports scholarship to any university of his choice. Enlisting with the U.S. Marine Corps, he excelled through basic training, showing he had more potential than to be a mere grunt, emerging as a natural leader. He was sent to the Officer Candidate School to be put to better use, and impressed all the right people. The moment that his service with the Marine Corps was up after serving several tours overseas and being awarded several medals and honors for his service (and a stint being trapped and hunted through hostile territory), he was approached by CIA headhunters. They recruited him into their black books and deniable ops teams.

As such, much of his history and dossier from the time he left the Marine Corps to when he showed up at the Division is heavily redacted. It's known that he operated all over the world, and as such, picked up a number of languages that he can speak at least conversationally. His service with the CIA ended on a sour note, when his team was left abandoned deep in hostile territory when his handlers deemed the mission compromised due to a betrayal within the agency. Left to fight their way to freedom, he was the only one to make it out alive. It was a painful reminder of the experience that ended his time with the Marine Corps, and once he was back in the United States, he turned in his resignation to the CIA.

After that he disappeared for a time, simply vanishing from the radar. When he was finally tracked down, the Division offered him a deal he simply couldn't refuse, as he brushed off the dust from the bar he had been drinking himself away in and stepping back into the game. If he can help it he doesn't associate much with the rest of the team, though he won't purposefully turn them a cold shoulder if they approach him. For the most part, they can find him either in the weapon's locker, constantly checking over everything, cleaning, and test firing, or down in the bar a block down the street, catching up with his old friend Captain Morgan, or enjoying some liquid Russian hospitality.

There you go, the first male member of the team. I...feel kind of bad for him, at the moment. And I can't make up my mind which picture to use as his base, so...If anyone wants to give feedback, I'll go with the one everyone likes more. I'll do a written description then as well.

...No, I'm totally not just being lazy and putting off description writing, I promise >>;;

Lyndsey

Quote from: Ace Flyer on January 20, 2014, 02:39:56 AM
Name: Leonid Shepard
Place of Birth: U.S.A

Physical Description and Picture: Option 1[/ur'] and [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nozer/Pierce-Brosnan-Wallpaper-pierce-brendan-brosnan-12572133-800-600_zpse440e09f.jpg]Option 2

Skills: Expert marksman and interrogator, skilled leader and tactician, quick reaction time.

Personality: Calm and professional, Leo used to be the perfect soldier and operative. He was the guy that would be given orders and command didn't have to worry for a second that they wouldn't be filled. He values and tries to protect those that serve with and under him, but after his last mission before joining the Division, he's tried to be more distant.

Character Background: A star athlete in high school, Leonid surprised everyone that knew him by deciding to join the military when he graduated instead of taking a full sports scholarship to any university of his choice. Enlisting with the U.S. Marine Corps, he excelled through basic training, showing he had more potential than to be a mere grunt, emerging as a natural leader. He was sent to the Officer Candidate School to be put to better use, and impressed all the right people. The moment that his service with the Marine Corps was up after serving several tours overseas and being awarded several medals and honors for his service, he was approached by CIA headhunters. They recruited him into their black books and deniable ops teams.

As such, much of his history and dossier from the time he left the Marine Corps to when he showed up at the Division is heavily redacted. It's known that he operated all over the world, and as such, picked up a number of languages that he can speak at least conversationally. His service with the CIA ended on a sour note, when his team was left abandoned deep in hostile territory when his handlers deemed the mission compromised due to a betrayal within the agency. Left to fight their way to freedom, he was the only one to make it out alive.

After that he disappeared for a time. When he was finally tracked down, the Division offered him a deal he simply couldn't refuse, as he brushed off the dust from the bar he had been drinking himself away in and stepping back into the game.

There you go, the first male member of the team. I...feel kind of bad for him, at the moment. And I can't make up my mind which picture to use as his base, so...If anyone wants to give feedback, I'll go with the one everyone likes more. I'll do a written description then as well.

...No, I'm totally not just being lazy and putting off description writing, I promise >>;;

Neat! Though I think your links got jumbled up  :-)

Roxy Rocket

So, from the looks of things, this is going very kinda... like fantasy, right?

Lyndsey

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on January 20, 2014, 03:10:19 AM

So, from the looks of things, this is going very kinda... like fantasy, right?

That's the secret plot twist.. dragons.

Roxy Rocket

Heh, ah... dragons...

Naw, this is more one of those genre, influences and tone sort of things. Cause we've got the division being founded due to budget shortfalls... in an upscale manhatten apartment building full of guns and things. And phrases like child progidy... progidy... thingy going around.

So, um. this is really going towards a kind of summer spy thriller thing, right?

Ace Flyer

Gah, I just can't do URL tags right for the life of me lately. The links are fixed ^^;;

Lyndsey

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on January 20, 2014, 03:21:33 AM

Heh, ah... dragons...

Naw, this is more one of those genre, influences and tone sort of things. Cause we've got the division being founded due to budget shortfalls... in an upscale manhatten apartment building full of guns and things. And phrases like child progidy... progidy... thingy going around.

So, um. this is really going towards a kind of summer spy thriller thing, right?

Yes, that's the general theme. As for the budget shortfalls idea, I've actually given some thought to that before deciding on the setting, and have come up with the rationale that it would make sense for them to want to equip this unconventional unit well, you know, keeping in line with the whole 'few to do the jobs of many' idea.

Of course, I'm always open to suggestions. I'd love to hear any and all ideas that can make this better.  :D

Roxy Rocket

Yeeeaaa- Nope.

Enjoy the game.

ElvenKitten

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on January 20, 2014, 04:31:14 AM

Yeeeaaa- Nope.

Enjoy the game.

Aww I really liked your character too  :-(

Fact is to get anywhere in espionage now you need to know how to hack even in the field.

Lyndsey

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on January 20, 2014, 04:31:14 AM

Yeeeaaa- Nope.

Enjoy the game.

Good luck in your search!  :-)

d20

Is there still room for a male character? I'd like to jump in if there still is.

Lyndsey

Quote from: Ace Flyer on January 20, 2014, 03:25:14 AM
Gah, I just can't do URL tags right for the life of me lately. The links are fixed ^^;;

1 looks a little closer to the stated age in my opinion!