News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Feychaser (Fantasy freeform, reboot)

Started by Ontan, April 13, 2018, 10:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontan

The world is unravelling.

Magic has always waxed and waned over the centuries… but never before has it grown so weak, so quickly. The last 80 years has seen it fade to a shadow of its former brilliance, and many have begun to fear something is deeply wrong with the world itself. This terrible phenomenon is known as the Wasting. Our leaders tell us everything is fine, but magic grows thin, as if strangled at the source.

Say what you want of our western neighbours: while we ‘civilised’ folk did nothing, the ancient nation of orcs tried to find a solution. They convened a grand gathering of leaders, mages, and holy men of all races in order to address the crisis, and for weeks the passage to their ageless stone ziggurats remained blocked while representatives of all nations deliberated as equals. In the end, it was the orcish hosts who discovered the cause for the Wasting. Lead by the high shaman himself – their living link between earthly races and the gods – they gathered on the monolithic steps to address the masses huddled below. With eyes downcast and shoulders slumped, they told of their findings. They said that magic, the very essence of our world, was almost spent. They said there was only one way to restore balance: a terrible and almighty culling of life.

The shamans wept openly as they incanted the profane spells that opened their portals to oblivion. By the time anyone realised what was happening, it was already too late. The sky turned red, and untold tides of demons poured forth from the otherworldly maws. This demonic invasion is known as the Cull, and it spills towards every horizon in its crusade against mortal life. Its leaders – the shamans who command the portals – are known as the Weeping Sages.

The realm, divided.

Sometimes, I wonder if the walls of our glorious city aren’t a little too tall. In our safety, we’ve grown blind to the calamities abroad, and the suffering of our neighbours.

In the north, the tyrannical Empire carves a path of conquest and slaughter against any non-human who defies them. For too long we have considered Imperial aggression to be a northern problem… but the Cull has changed everything. The Empire grows bold as magic weakens: even as their emissaries mouth words of peace and cooperation against the demonic invasion, they put the last of their enemies to the sword, and soon their gaze will turn south. The Cull has created a vacuum of power, and the avaricious gaze of the Empire senses opportunity in chaos.

To the west, civil war simmers as the populace is torn between those who would fight against the Cull, and those who feel that the gods’ will must be obeyed unto annihilation. Survival or faith: it is a terrible decision to impose upon anyone, and the western states have already started to tear themselves apart... and all the while, the Cull sweeps their scattered armies aside. Be it from Imperials, demons, or their own zealous kin, countless thousands of refugees are being driven from their ancestral homes, but none of them know how to march. I fear many of them will not be able to outrun the coming slaughter.

Even the very heavens are divided against themselves. So many of our gods have forsaken us, ordaining that whole nations must be slaughtered in order to safeguard the future. Countless holy men and women – be they primeval shamans or civilised clerics – have been forced to join the Cull, or had their powers stripped by the deity they once served. There are still a handful of gods who stand with us, but with the Wasting threatening what magic remains, things look desperately bleak for most of the realm…

But in the east? Reamsul stands strong, an unshakable bastion that can withstand any storm. Forget the north, the west, even the realm of the gods themselves. We mouth words of concern, but in our heart of hearts, we know we’ll be safe here in the city. We won’t even have to fight on the walls if we don’t want to. But we will have to live with ourselves afterwards…

A mission of mercy…

We can take our good fortune for granted, or we can use it to save hundreds. Think on it: whole families and communities spared from the nightmarish slaughter of the Cull. A dozen terrified children saved from a demon’s fangs, then a dozen more.

Look around at the other people gathered here. I know what we can do, but more importantly, I know what we cannot. I am not asking for heroes to save the world. I am only asking for a few brave souls to crew my ship. If you can hold a weapon, read a map, or tend a wound, then you can do this job, and do it well. If all you can do is help someone’s grandmother shuffle up a plank, then that’s all I’m asking of you. 

My ship, the Feychaser, will follow the coastline until we reach the hamlet of Twin Bridges – it’s as good a place as any. We will offer passage to those poor souls stranded there, and then we sail straight back to Reamsul. That’s it. One stop, with no heroics and no distractions, and we’ll be back long before the Cull gets anywhere near us. Your conscience will be lighter for it… and in case it matters, your purse will be considerably heavier. I’ll see to that with my own coin.

We leave at first light. I sincerely hope to see you then.

Ontan

OOC Information

Welcome to Feychaser!

The two main sources of inspiration are the Banner Saga franchise, and an E-forums original, Darkplague: The Evil Embrace.  That said, this game will draw upon an entirely original lore, with plenty of room for players to fill in blanks and make their own contributions to the setting as a whole. Plot wise, the story will centre on a group of not-yet-heroes trying to lead a band of refugees to safety as the world around them threatens to spiral into chaos.

As noted, this is a reboot, but it’ll be following an entirely new series of events. New and returning players alike are encouraged to join.

The core features are as follows:
  • 80% Plot, 20% smut: The emphasis will be on story and character development. Erotic content will be entirely optional, but I'll make sure there's opportunity for that too. 
  • NC Forums: Notwithstanding the above point, the game will feature some slightly dark themes, so it will be placed in the NC group forums. Extreme content will not be explicitly posted: at most, it’ll be alluded to before the scene ‘fades to black’.
  • Dark fantasy setting: The game will take place in an entirely original fantasy setting where magic is starting to fail. I’ll be aiming for a gritty feel to the theme, albeit with a bit of humour to break things up now and then. Story-wise, it’ll be a tale of exploration and survival rather than a save-the-world epic.
  • Freeform: Some light dice rolling may feature to randomise world events, but this won’t be a rules-based game. The GM will take care of the dicebot!
  • Game length: The game will comprise of six distinct chapters, with players dropping in and out as needed. I’ll wait to see how much interest there is before setting any limits on player numbers.
  • Posting frequency: Whatever you can manage, but ideally once per week at a minimum. Any less, and your character might have to be “god moded” if they’re holding up a scene.
  • Character classes: Occupation, background, and class are entirely flexible, but I ask that players mostly aim for a novice or journeyman vibe when creating their characters. If you really want to play a seasoned hero, I might make an exception or two, but the overall theme should be on novice adventurers getting caught up in events beyond their control. 

If this looks like it might be your thing, let me know by leaving a few questions or comments - and while you're at it, maybe have a quick peek at the Worldbuilding Thread!

Character Creation

Templates for character sheets are provided below. A few points about character creation:
  • No anime, please. Photos or semi-realistic artwork are both fine.
  • All characters will be starting the adventure aboard the Feychaser. How they end up there is entirely up to you, but keep it in mind for their history.
  • When creating your character, aim for a low or moderate level of power. Most PCs should either be in the early stages of their adventuring career, or even setting out on their very first journey. Alternatively, they could be an aging veteran who’s long past their prime, crippled by an old injury, or otherwise on par with the others.
  • For character background, feel free to make up minor factions or locations (e.g. a centaur settlement in Reamsul, etc.). So long as it doesn’t clash with anything in the worlbuilding thread, it should be fine.
  • Finally, don’t be afraid of role redundancy! This isn’t an MMO, and there’s no requirement to have a perfectly balanced trinity of tanks, damage, and support. Try to think of a character you’ll enjoy playing, rather than feeling obligated to fulfil or avoid certain roles.

In the near future, I’ll be adding some character sheets for NPCs to provide an example. Until then, the basic framework is provided below. Feel free to post any questions, ideas, or drafts right here in the thread... or, if you want to get right in, PM a character sheet instead.

Player Name: Your username for the E-forums.
Character Name: The name of your character, along with any titles or aliases.
Concept: A short summary of your character. Basically, it’s their character class.
Race, Age: Exactly what it sounds like. The minimum character age is 18!

Place of origin: Where your character lived before the Cull.
Appearance and Mannerisms: Their general appearance, and how they carry themselves in public. Also include any noteworthy pieces of equipment.
Background: A summary of your character’s personal history, and the events that led to them joining the Feychaser on its mission of mercy. It can be as long or brief as you like.

Skills (3-5): Your character’s training and abilities. This includes spellcasting! Please include a general indication of the level of competency (novice, apprentice, journeyman, etc.).
Strengths: Distinct from their skills, these represent the character’s innate virtues. Courage, alertness, and empathy are all good examples.
Flaws: My favourite part of character creation! Please avoid using “stubborn” as a character flaw – it’s a teeny bit overused, and I’m not entirely convinced it was a weakness to begin with.

Connections: If you have a pre-existing connection to another character, such as a childhood friend or long-term spouse, list it here. You can also list requests for connections.
Ons and Offs: The ons and offs that apply to your character. If your OOC player preferences don’t match with your character’s desires (eg NC scenes), please clarify which is which.

OOC safety net: Your character will always be vulnerable to moderate forms of harm (temporary injury, being detained, etc.), but for those wanting a more genuine sense of peril, this is where you opt in. The loss of irreplaceable equipment, long-lasting or permanent injury, indefinite captivity, and character death are all things to consider. This part will be hidden when your character sheet is publically posted.

[float=right][img height=250 padding=5]http://i63.tinypic.com/1056xys.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Character Name: [/b]
[b]Concept: [/b]
[b]Race (Age):[/b]

[b]Place of origin: [/b]
[b]Appearance and Mannerisms: [/b]
[b]Background: [/b]

[b]Skills (3-5): [/b]
[b]Strengths: [/b]
[b]Flaws: [/b]

[b]Connections: [/b]
[b]Ons and Offs: [/b]

[b]OOC safety net:[/b]

Links

In Character Game Links:
Main Roleplay Thread
Moments in Time
Prelude

OOC Game Links
OOC chat thread
Worldbuilding thread
Approved Characters

Giantmutantcrab

Oh happy day!

I am here!  Bjorn is ready! Let our allies rejoice and our foes tremble!

Flower

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Chronoclasm

"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Chronoclasm on April 14, 2018, 03:57:19 PM

Yes.

Oh yes yes yes yes yes yes sweet loving merciful Krom yes!

Get that wonderful creature below deck!

Ontan

Hyacinth, Kokaine, and Chronoclasm: Thanks for the expressions of interest! It's fantastic to already have a mixture of new and returning players :-)

GMC: Your character sheet have been received, and Bjorn is approved! He's been posted up to a freshly minted character thread.

Chronoclasm

::) I'm going to sleep on whether I want to bring Un'gulachshay back or whether I want to try something new this time. I might wait to see what kinds of characters some of the others come up with first--to ensure that whatever character I create fits in with the overall theme of the party proper. For reference, though, particularly for new players who don't get my .gif up above, this was my character last time:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Player Name: Chronoclasm
Character Name: Un'gulachshay
Concept: Hideous Creature with a Heart of Gold?
Race (Age): "Holy s**t! What the f**k is that thing!" Oh wait, it's a homunculus. (Age: 48)

Place of Origin: Unknown

Appearance and Mannerisms:
Un'gulachshay looks like an emaciated, sleep-deprived old man in his natural form. His skin has a rather grayish cast to it, with ears that hold just the hint of an elfin point. His teeth are mangled in his mouth, with some that are sharper than is normal, and others almost twisted sideways. He's clearly never known a toothbrush, nevermind a barber-surgeon. His bloodshot eyes are always rapidly darting around, like a wary rat's or insect's, and his build is impressive ... ly fickle looking. Although Un'gulachshay stands around 5 foot 10 inches when fully erect, he typically scuttles about with a hunch or a lean that puts him closer to 5'7" on a good day--give or take an inch. He lacks hair on his head, and appears unable to grow facial hair. When he speaks, it's with a sibilant, lispy tongue.

In terms of his mannerisms, the best word for this thing that's decided to join you in your hero's quest is "creepy." If you need three words, use "creepy as f**k." Un'gulachshay scurries around with no sense of shame or personal space. He makes weird noises and unseemly poses. Sometimes he just sort of ... twitches. Everything about him is really just kind of off-putting in one way or another. For this reason, few people ever see past his distracting qualities--and into the shape of his heart. Un'gulachshay is probably the nicest person you'll ever meet. He is patient and kind, gentle and forgiving. He's probably not led an easy life looking and acting like he does, but he'll give you the shirt off his back if you're shivering in the rain.

You might ask him very quickly to put the shirt back on, of course, because ugh. But he'd still put you before himself. And in a hard world filled with demons that sometimes look painfully beautiful, perhaps he's just an angel shaped like a grotesque?

Background:

Except that he's definitely not an angel. He's an artificial human that a cadre of Unseelie magicians brought to false life in an experiment even his unscrupulous creators felt "went horribly wrong." Indeed, the name this wretch has taken for himself? "Un'gulachsay?" It's actually just something he'd heard his creators say in reference to him over and over again. How was he supposed to know it was Unseelie for "we really should kill this thing" and not his name?

Eventually, his captors took their own advice and did try to kill him. They thought they'd succeeded when he stopped moving, so they dumped him into the underground river that oozed through their lair. Un'gulachsay survived though. Un'gulachshay always survives ...

And that has, in fact, been the pattern of his life. Learning language, experimenting with his innate (and truly awful) skillset, feeding, being chased, being stoned, being attacked, being mocked? He has survived them all and thrived. In the process, he has somehow been shaped not hard and cruel, but kind and soft. He has spent most of his life-after-the-lab moving from place to place, learning new things and helping the people no one else had time for. At least until he's chased off like a leper and forced to move somewhere new. Such is how he's ended up in Reamsul. But why has he joined this expedition? What is he even searching for?

It doesn't matter. He just hopes his new companions don't agree with his name: "We really should kill this thing." After all, he's going to be stuck on a ship with them for a little while ...

Skills (3-5):

• Life Drain (Adept): Un'gulachshay can drain the life from plants and animals. While most people have the decency to at least kill and cook the things they plan to consume before they eat them, this wretched creature just drains their life right from them. Feeding requires that Un'gulachshay make direct, extended contact with his meal. He prefers it when his meals are bound or already dying, as moving prey is more difficult for him to kill. Un'gulachshay has chosen to subsist primarily on smaller animals, and has gained the unseemly reputation of being a "bug eater" and "rat chewer" from the many times he's been caught with some bloodied piece of vermin in his clutches. Un'gulachshay can drain only a portion of something's life and still leave it breathing, but tries not to use his ability as a "knock out" skill. He's deathly afraid of drawing too much and killing someone. And he has done so in the past ...
  • Skin Walker (Journeyman): If Un'gulachsay kills something with his life drain, he's able to take on its appearance for several hours to several days after. So far he has not figured out how to take the shape of plants--but animals? He can do that. The greater the sentience of the creature he's killed, and the closer it is to being human, the longer after the killing he can wear their skin. To his shame, there are currently five humanoid forms that he can put on and take off that he actually killed many years ago. He isn't sure whether killing people leaves a stain that never goes away, or if they too will fade from his "wardrobe" eventually. Of course, none of these shapes is a perfect copy. His shapes typically look like a somewhat grotesque version of the original, and all of them share his green-and-gold eyes--a feature that looks distinctly out of place on some creatures, such as rats and insects and fish and birds.
  • Bone Puppets (Apprentice): Un'gulachshay can transfer some of his life back into something he's drained empty, and there turn it into his puppet. These horrible, reanimated marionettes will only last as long as he has them near enough to control them. At the moment? If they get too far away from him (for example, out of his range of sight), he loses the connection and they fall back into death. His control also depends on his sharing his own life's essence with the empty body, and the larger the puppet the more of his own life he has to pass into it to control it. For this reason, it weakens him to control many, or overly complex, puppets for any length of time.
  • Sneaky Coward (Apprentice): Un'gulachshay is one of those people who sometimes just appears behind you and gives you a mini-heart attack. That he looks horrifying just makes it that much worse! But anyway, a lifetime of having to hide from view and run from conflict have taught him at least the rudiments of stealth and basic flight-not-fight "battle" tactics.
  • Evasive Maneuvers (Apprentice): When flight's not possible? Un'gulachshay is surprisingly sprightly for someone who looks like a good gust of wind might break him in half. He's a survivor at heart, and seems to always be able to move in such a way that even when the hit does land it does the least amount of damage or hits the least vital spot on his targeted area. If he was a little tougher, a deep, manly "just a flesh wound" might be his catchphrase. "You missed Un'gul!" followed by wispy, tittering laughter is kind of what he goes with instead. Lame.

Strengths:

• Heart of Gold: Un'gulachshay is a genuinely good person. He's willing to do what's right even at great personal risk or discomfort. He's pretty close to incorruptible. What's the saying? "You can't con an honest man."
  • Unyielding: Un'gulachshay doesn't know how to quit. He may be as ugly as a cockroach, but he's also just as hardy. You can't hold back someone who keeps pushing forward.
  • Empathy: Un'gulachshay is really quite intuitive, and can get a good read on people pretty quickly. This has proven important to his survival, and it's a skill he's nurtured.
  • Garbage Eater: Un'gulachshay doesn't have the will to die. He'll do just about anything to live another day. In this way he's almost more animal than human--but it does mean that he can tough through things that others would rightly balk at.

Flaws:

• Kill It With Fire!: Un'gulachshay is pretty scary looking. If some people might be said to have been beat with an ugly stick? This guy was beat with the whole damn tree. People find it difficult to trust, like, or even be near him.
  • Were You Raised in a Barn?: Un'gulachshay lacks social graces entirely. He also has a bad habit of invading personal space, trespassing on "private" moments, missing social cues and subtle hints, and asking those questions that everyone was thinking to themselves but nobody was rude enough to ask.
  • Garbage Eater: Un'gulachshay is kind of gross. And he doesn't smell great most days. Is that blood on his face?
  • There's No Room for Gray in the Sunlight: Un'gulachshay will not accept that there are moral gray areas. He's unwilling to go along with plans where the argument for the action is, essentially, that the ends justify the means. To him, that's a bald-faced lie every single time. If the party is starving, and the suggestion is put out there that they abandon some of their dependents? Un'gulachshay will stay with the abandoned dependents.
  • Gah! Somebody Catch That Bastard!: Un'gulachshay is kind, but not always brave. He will put his life on the line if it means protecting someone, but if it's just him? He entirely lacks the pride and the ego to stand and deliver. He will run away away every time.

Connections: He's traveled wide and far, but he's generally only made friends among outcasts and urchins--people who will accept him for who he is and what he looks like because they, quite frankly, are just that desperate for a gentle heart and a helping hand.
Ons and Offs: Wait. You want to ... ? With Un'gulachshay!? If you're willing to put up with that, then all your ons are his ons too!
"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

PrestaDGTation

-pets appreciatively-

This is.. so neat!  And the fact that you have players giving praise to Krom makes me quite interested!
"I see. Hell is populated entirely by Theater Majors." - Majabya, while watching Hazbin Hotel.

Rebelle

*Plants flag*

I am interested in playing!

I have an art concept, and a character concept.

Half-Seelie Elf Huntress with proficiency with a long bow and tracking, with the ability to use mending/healing spells. 

That's all I have at the moment :)

Kokaine

I am between a female homonculus who was formerly a slave and a female half orc/unseelie but either way they will possess an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and experience while being rather tank-y and possibly prone to bloodlust (or just intense emotion all around) >.>
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

My O/Os

RegretNot

I have been pointed here and am interested as well.  I am thinking of an Unseelie Redeemed Cultist of R'yarvo (working on a minor God, chaos and supporter of the Cull), now wandering hermit in need of redemption in his works. 

Image that sparked the idea: 

Flower

Nice to see all these new and old faces! :)

Alright. I do want to check and make sure the ideas bubbling in my head aren't crazy. I don't want to put a lot of time into something that doesn't fit the setting or group dynamic.

Concept: Priest, Warlock, Druid --> I admit, I'm leaning more towards priests because I enjoy writing religious characters. Always nice to have them facing conflict and struggle in their beliefs. I also wouldn't mind a druid because they are super fun. xD Then I was considering something more fiery like a phoenix or firestarter.

As for the race, I'm considering a tiefling because adorable and well...tails. High elf soudns nifty. However, so does a mermaid or shifter.

I guess I'm bouncing all over the place. >.>

Giantmutantcrab

Hello to everyone!

like Ontan said, there is no need to aim for the classic Final Fantasy 1 combination of Fighter - Thief - White mage - Black mage. Whatever it is you guys are interested in doing, go ahead. The world is vast and open.

RegretNot

Working on my concept and should be doing more on it when I am home from work this evening. 

WIP Diryn
Player Name: RegretNot
Character Name: Diryn Ulym
Concept: Reformed Monk of Oblivion
Race (Age): Unseelie (39)

Place of origin: Kul’Geld
Appearance and Mannerisms: Diryn stands at 5’9” with a lean frame that cloaks the resilience the man possesses.  His skin is an dark gray that has the etchings of scars and tattoos from his days he no longer speaks about.  His eyes carry an amber glow around their irises as they take in their environment drinking in light until sated.  His ears are curved into points with a piece at the back of his right missing from a previous altercation that can barely been seen as his white hair is kept swept low and down.  Clothing that he wears is rather plain as the long black robes cover most of the leather armor that seems cobbled together rather than one that started as a full set.  Etchings caught with longer study on these pieces that cover his frame. 

He carries a shortsword with the rich dark wooded handle barely emerging from the robes.  Other smaller arms might be seen when he reaches inside the shadow covered confines of his outer garment but nothing that obviously is a full melee weapon.  A few darts and a hand crossbow hidden neatly for situations that may arrise. 

Background: Diryn was born to a father and mother who followed the ways of R'yarvo.  R’yarvo unlike most of the Gods only wished to show the world of the power behind chaos, what touching it only brought those against it’s incomprehensible power.  Their patron provided for them as the Cult of R’yarvo would target those that drew too freely from power, more specifically cast magic with arrogance and lack of respect for control and cost it demanded.  Diryn learned early of magic that was direct and brutal as well as combat that would come along with all conflict.  Brutality was a clear message all understood as R’yarvo looked over his flock from the way they existed, getting all they needed through his whirling chaos or the spoils of those to feel his wrath. 

The Culling was something that R’yarvo was drawn to as a lesser God to take a step up the steps of the patheon.  His hideous form of whirling was something that Diryn felt needed to be with the other Gods like Sol and Tassimela.  The Cult helped with the crusade as they helped demonic forces to march on mortal villages and cities alike.  It took many months before Diryn could see those of the cult were not seen as equal, their members were dealt with harshly for failure usually with torture or death.  He was told by his own mother when he was caught under the lash of a demonic entity that it would be his rebuilding as the pain was etched into what felt like his very soul. 

Leadership of the cult did not see the way they were being used fully and then discarded until their numbers had grown far too low.  His mother was let to die seen upon as mercy but the healing magic that was possessed was just not to be wasted on the warlock.  The man he called his father was a shell from so many injuries in battle that when he raised his scythe in defiance he was easily cut down.  It was when making camp and communing with R’yarvo that those that remained felt it, the tether of connection shuddered and then was weak like a fishing line no longer held taunt.  Llesra one of the high priestesses spoke first as she called to the rest of the cult to break free of the lies that R’yarvo had been told.  She could feel him but no longer his strength either subdued or cast out by the others in the patheon.  The fight that took place next was not a valiant stand but a slaughter and horrifying to the young Diryn. 

Fire and blade joined as the connection to magic that the Cult of R’yarvo was majorly nullified as those with martial fighting skills were targeted first.   It was a blur as his instincts kicked in and he quickly made a path through speed and ferocity through the ranks of the demonic knights that stood against them.  Another acolyte and himself made it off the grand road and into the darkness of the night woods as their sight kept them ahead of those that gave chase.  The Cult of R’yarvo was no more as the companion with him succumbed to their injuries one day later.  Diryn forced himself in a hard march towards the lands he knew that the armies were heading, those left unconquered and unburned.  That tether that he felt for so many years of his life returned when he found himself no longer able to push himself, with no rations left to sustain him. 

The power of R’yarvo was still somewhere far away jolted his body to keep going as he covered a vast distance he couldn’t even fathom nor remember fully in his state.  Making it to a village the way he was dressed only got him taken by the town guard but with that he received food and water.  Diryn spent his time in captivity in meditation and replaying what had happened to the patron that he had known for his entire life to be there for his entire family line.  Through this he was a guest to the small town of Fernfall he did all tasks charged to him.  A demonic scout reached the walls of the town as he masked himself as an emissary but Diryn knew the act.  Serving dinner in the grand hall he volunteered to help serve as he bided his time and when he felt it right struck after knowing he had imbibed a poison that would weaken him.  Armed with a simple blade from the kitchen he confronted him loudly as the man rejected his words but took the insult as a challenge.  Standing to draw Diryn was faster slipping the knife into his ribs and keeping his blade sheathed with his other hand.  A hush fell over the Grand Hall as the man dropped and his coat was opened to reveal the demonic language across a ledger. 

Freed from his captivity Diryn left Fernfall and made his way to the capital of Reamsul.  His amber hues studied it for what seemed like day before he found himself on the docks listening to the words of the captain of the Feychaser.  It only made sense as his boot falls lightly took him on board. 

Skills (3-5):
Shadow Magic (Journeyman) : The Way of Shadows is a magic that comes naturally to the Unseelie followers of R’yarvo allowing control of darkness, summoning it, using it for transportation, and even to directly affect areas and others.  A distraction or stealth based power that can bolster him.
Finesse Combat Style (Journeyman) : Combat was a way of his life from the start but he was taught to wield shortswords as well as light melee and ranged weapons to have speed over might.  Just the same can be said for when forced to fight with his hands and feet, his martial prowess is about how many times he can strike his opponent rather than haymakers. 
Body Control (Intermediate) : Through communing with one’s body and harnessing the power inside of it Diryn can access his primal energy.  This using primal energy in his own body can be seen in his ability to make himself faster, move quickly to try and intercept some ranged attacks, or putting a magical element behind a strike.
Chaos Magic (Novice) : A primal and unsettling kind splinter of the greater divine magic.  R’yarvo’s realm of chaos has great power but with it comes backlash and costs that can carry heavy prices.  Magical effects that can throw a battle towards the other side could leave the caster maimed, cursed, or even dead when backlash decides to grab hold and squeeze.  Energy based attacks that come from chaos strike out at foes doing unnatural damage.  Diryn has been taught how to channel and pulled off a few affects but nothing large for fear of his own unweaving.
Insightful Meditation (Novice) : Clearing the mind it allows one to be a conduit to the answers and power that float within the innate power around us.  Diryn has practice with this technique but has only gleaned a few personal truths from it, sometimes fearing the answer he may get to some questions asked. 
Strengths:
Rigorous Dedication - Diryn was raised in a very devout and martial cult that demanded physical, mental, and psychological toughing and practice into daily life.  This kind of habit continues and helps him to overcome many obstacles as a lone figure now.
Patron Backing - R’yarvo has not completely deserted him and has been known to guide him and even project power to him when the chaos God deems it. 
Resistance to Pain/Trauma - Through his time during the cull he was disciplined and tortured as a disposable soldier.  This kind of experience has hardened him to all manner of pain. 
Flaws:
Connected to R’yarvo - Diryn is connected to his patron and through it he might become a target for other Gods on either side.  This also opens him up to communication should R’yarvo suddenly reappear. 
Dark Past - The Cult of R’yarvo supported the Cull and did many horrible things involved with the forces behind it.  He is the sole survivor and answers for most of their past sins despite his turn away from it. 
Cold Demeanor - His lifestyle in the cult has lead him with a disadvantage in social situations leaving him to come off as cold or distant even when it makes those around him uneasy.  Friends and allies become a rare thing because of this perception. 

Connections:
Ons and Offs: Same as Players

Ontan

All PMs have been answered, and a new character joins the roster! Chenoa (played by Hamadryad) has been added to the approved character thread. 

As for everything else...

Chrono: Un’gulachshay would be more than welcome! OOC’ly, I mean. I can’t make any guarantees about how characters would feel about him, what with the dubious hygiene and life-essence-of-vermin diet. Regardless of whether or not you use him, it’s still handy to have an extra character sheet for people to use as a reference, so ty for sharing  :-)

PrestaDGTation: Thanks for the interest! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post here, or send me a message. If you don't have any... go back to petting the thread anyway.

Rebelle: I’m terrible at finding character art, so it sounds like you’re already off to an enviable start, hehe.

Kokaine: I feel like you can’t go wrong with any variant of scholar-tank.

Hyacinth: At strong risk of being pedantic, I’d probably steer away from the term “Tielfing”, simply because that’s explicitly Dungeons & Dragons rather than generic fantasy. The issue is it comes with all sorts of baggage and secondhand lore – not least of all a presumption about the long term integration of demonic bloodlines. If it helps, half-demons are a perfectly permissible substitute. Shape shifters and mermaids would make a fine addition, too! Obviously, the class is entirely up to you, and GMC had it right when he said to play whatever sound appealing... but, without commenting on the alternatives, I would say that I love your thinking for the priest, and how they'd struggle with the faith. It could also be a point of interest with Bjorn, given his suspicion of the gods  ;)

RegretNot I'm loving the character concept! It’s also great to see an Unseelie featuring. The only thing to keep in mind is the ‘low-to-moderate’ level of power for characters: mowing down ranks of demonic knights, superhuman speed, and catching arrows mid-flight might need to be scaled back a bit. Shadow Magic and Chaos Magic also seem a tad open-ended: ideally, each Skill should relate to a broadly generalised function (healing, stealth, combat, etc.). These are only small tweaks though, and the character is otherwise looking pretty solid!

Arcadia

Hey there, I wanted to express interest in this RP! At the moment I'm considering a character who is some kind of elf, and some kind of healer, but not much of a fighter. More Final Fantasy White Mage than D&D Cleric. I had some questions about the setting before I can fully flesh the idea out, though.

You mention half-demons are okay. What sort of effects would having a demon parent be likely to have on someone? And could a character otherwise be of some race, but has a very small amount of demon blood, that has mild but meaningful effects on them?

Is alchemy a thing? If so does it count as magic, and how dramatic are it's effects? Something like "drink this and you'll be less likely to catch a disease for a few hours", "drink this and you'll be all but immune to illness and poison for a few days" sort of level, or a "drink this and watch as your wounds knit before your eyes" sort of thing?

I think it would be interesting to have a character who is not a fan of the divine, valuing the achievements of corporeal beings over pronouncement from on high, and who's dislike has grown into animosity towards most gods ever since these troubles have started. I'm hoping this idea can jive with the idea of being a healer who works fast enough to be useful to adventurers.

Wolfling72

I....I tried to fight it...

I did...

but there was Orc....a gorgeous bit of well muscled flesh who felt the urge to make me poke here...

(Ohhh and GMC, damn him)

so, I will think on a thing...and plant my I am interested flag in the meantime.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Wolfling72 on April 16, 2018, 05:06:40 PM
I....I tried to fight it...

I did...

but there was Orc....a gorgeous bit of well muscled flesh who felt the urge to make me poke here...

(Ohhh and GMC, damn him)

so, I will think on a thing...and plant my I am interested flag in the meantime.

*blows kisses*

Flower

Quote from: Ontan on April 16, 2018, 09:36:18 AM

Hyacinth: At strong risk of being pedantic, I’d probably steer away from the term “Tielfing”, simply because that’s explicitly Dungeons & Dragons rather than generic fantasy. The issue is it comes with all sorts of baggage and secondhand lore – not least of all a presumption about the long term integration of demonic bloodlines. If it helps, half-demons are a perfectly permissible substitute. Shape shifters and mermaids would make a fine addition, too! Obviously, the class is entirely up to you, and GMC had it right when he said to play whatever sound appealing... but, without commenting on the alternatives, I would say that I love your thinking for the priest, and how they'd struggle with the faith. It could also be a point of interest with Bjorn, given his suspicion of the gods  ;)

No worries! I've leaned away from tiefling so you don't have to worry about that. Now I'm in between...option 1 and option 2. Just need to narrow it down one...more...time.

Priapus89

Ontan

Arcadia: You raise a bunch of really good points! I’m going to break out the dot points:
  • ‘White mage’ style healers are perfectly acceptable. More generally, characters with no combat proficiency whatsoever are also viable. There’ll definitely be a place for diplomats, support healers, and other kinds of civilian specialists if people want to play them. People can also play an unskilled commoner if they want, but they might have a slightly harder time of things…
  • One feature I’d like to keep with the setting is a relatively firm distinction between races. Half elves, half orcs, and half-anything-elses cannot reproduce. Having a trace of demonic (or other) blood isn’t entirely off limits, though, and I’m willing to entertain non-heritable ways of characters acquiring it: amoral Unseelie experiments, botched rituals, consuming lots of raw demon flesh… whatever your dark, dark hearts can conjure up.
  • Like homunculi, half-demons are a bit of a wild card. Morphological changes (horns, tails) and access to unusual forms of magic are strong possibilities, but feel free to use your imagination. The only caveat is that the half-demon is still fundamentally mortal: they can’t feed off distant portals for energy, speak the demonic language, or cross over into the oblivion of the hells (well, not without something really awful happening).
  • Alchemy is a thing! The ingredients need to be magical (body parts from mythical beasts, cuttings from sacred plants, etc.), but the preparation process itself is merely scholarly. For purposes of effects, “drink this and you'll be all but immune to illness and poison for a few days” feels like the right track for the low / moderate level of power. Also, remember that skills should ideally be somewhat specific. Alchemy: healing unguents and Alchemy: poisons and acids should be two separate skills, for instance.
  • Healing magic (and alchemy) deserves its own special mention. I’m not going to set any hard limits on this, but I’d prefer it to be the slower kind of healing, especially for a band of relatively inexperienced healers. A nasty gash heals in minutes (not seconds), a shattered bone takes a few days, and so forth.

Wolfling: Glad the Crab made you see sense  ;)
GMC: Keep doing your thing, hehe.
Hyacinth: You may need to flip a coin, because both options look fantastic… although it’s always hard to argue with a nature spirit, just saying.
Priapus: Ty for the interest!

Also, Diryn Ulym, played by RegretNot, has been added to the character roster!

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Ontan on April 17, 2018, 08:23:50 AMGMC: Keep doing your thing

*salutes and returns into the E wilderness*

Wolfling72

An idea for a boisterous, terribly flirty half Orc warrior woman...working on her sheet now, Ontan. You should have something in PM before the night ends...

(damn you and GMC for being so damned awesome)
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Tolvo

Arcadia

I'm working now on a Seelie alchemist, and I have a couple more questions:

I'm curious about naming conventions for Seelie in and around Reamsul, and in general.

I'm conceptualizing my character as having been trained in alchemy by a respectable institution, then taking a job with a fairly shady group of some kind dominated by Unseelie, who took her on in part as cover for their shady experiments. Are independent alchemy or similar organizations a viable thing, or is esoteric research largely confined to things like universities? And speaking of, names, or at least a naming style for, possible institutions she could have studied at would be handy.

I also have a request, of anyone willing to help! I'm not the best at finding pictures, and I could use some help finding a good one for my character. I'm envisioning her as fairly short but curvy, and not really athletic at all; she's a scholar, first and foremost, but does like to dress to accentuate her appearance when possible. Any assistance with character pics would be much obliged!

Wolfling72

Do you have a particular hair color in mind, Arcadia? And do you want a full body shot or a portrait? Maybe just the face or upper body?
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Flower

Arcadia

Thank you for the images you PMed, Wolfling!

Quote from: Hyacinth on April 17, 2018, 07:27:42 PM
Option 1

Option 2

I really like option 2 for your idea, Arcadia.

I have such a hard time parsing the layout if Pintrest, despite the many times it has changed. If I'm seeing the right images, I think the second one is far too frumpy, my character as so far developed is definitely very sexually libertine, though it's not really a focus of hers. I like the first one a fair bit, although the owl isn't really fitting for the character idea.

Poking around Pintrest suggestions, I found (assuming I'm linking these correctly) this one and this other one which I like both of, for different reasons. I'm leaning toward the latter, I think.

Flower

Rebelle

Okay, popping this WIP in here, just as a because... Nothing to see here so far.. lots of history to go through still...

But that way I can look at it while i am at work and think more on it ;)

WIP
Player Name: Rebelle
Character Name: Saoirse Windchaser
Concept: The Royal Hunter
Race (Age): Half Elf [Human/Seelie]
Place of origin: The Hamlet of RiversKeep [Just North of the Capital]
Appearance and Mannerisms: Saoirse stands a lithe 5'7 with flowing red hair that goes beyond her shoulders, several hunter braids adorn her hair, along with bits of hammered metal.  Her skin is sunkissed, and while she could never be mistaken for a full blooded elf, she does have the telltale curve and point to her ears - but the most notable features rest upon her face.  One eye is the bluest of blue, while the other is the greenest of green - considered to be a symbol of the dual nature of her birth or as some would say - the touch of the goddess.  Also, there is a scar that runs diagnol across her right eye - a souveiner of a fight that was too close for comfort.  She may dress the part of a maiden, but finds herself far more comfortable in leather breeches and armor.  And while she may appear to be unarmed, do not be fooled, for there is a knife always somewhere.  Around her throat, she wears a silver wolf's head made of Crucible Steel, it's eyes encrusted with red rubies.  | Saoirse is charismatic, and can put most at ease - even her queries, she speaks softly most times - but when she raises her voice it is commanding.  She tends to keep track of those around her as well as her surroundings.  She carries herself with a dignity and a sureness that usually is only found with time and age.  While she is devout in her belief of her goddess, she does not shout it from the rooftops attempting to evangelize others. 
Background: Oh what love can do, when their eyes are blinded with stars, and their hearts are filled with joy.

General Nevious Windchaser was one of the greatest generals that Reamsul had ever laid eyes upon.  He was a general that men respected, not out of fear, but out of the knowledge that he would not ask upon even the lowliest of foot soldiers a task that he himself would not be willing to take up.  He was a general who stood by his honor, his loyalty to the throne and the queen and king as well as to those men and women who served under him, and to the people he protected.  At one point in his career, early on, there were whispers that he received his status simply for the fact he was some distant relation to the throne.  However, he quickly put those whispers and that gossip under his thumb when he posited a challenge to any whom wished to take it - best him, and he would stand down, he would retreat to the life of a farmer or ranger; and if he bested his opponent, they would either have to serve for five years in the army, or volunteer their time amongst those who were less fortunate. 

He was challenged by tacticians, he was challenged by historians, he was challenged by warriors.  His army swelled in numbers that year, and those who joined found themselves in a rank befitting their knowledge not their status.  He earned the respect of Remasul, and earned the name 'The Silver Wolf' for his cunning diplomacy. 

Sorcha Grayspear was a renowned armor and weaponsmith, a human whom was said to be blessed by the Gods.  She was intelligent, witty, and strong.  A rare beauty in both mind and body.  She was an artisian though she would never call herself as such.  She was bold, and cared not for the lifestyle her talents could bring her.  Instead, she chose to remain outside of the grand walls of the capital, plying her trade for those who had enough money, and watched intently as the armies moved across the land, protecting all those who were it's citizens.  She watched as the Silver Wolf rode in front, leading his army with the knowledge he would return.  She watched as the Silver Wolf would return victorious, and listen as the heralds would sound his arrival. 

They were star crossed, meant to be.  What at first was a simple gaze, turned into conversation, turned into something more.  Nevious had become enchanted, and she had become enarmored.  They loved one another, and it was as clear as one could see.  No matter the witty little laughter, the jests, the whisperings, there was no denying their love that brought forth their daughter, a half elf by the name of Saoirse.  With the beautiful red hair of her mother, the pointed ears, her willowy form, she was a sight.  Intelligent, cunning, her father called her his little Silver Cub, and instead of remaining in the Capital at all times, as he would do when he was a bachelor, the man moved his mate and his daughter to the family lands of RiversKeep.  Not too far away from the Capital, but far enough to where his daughter would not hear the whispers until she was old enough to deal with them.  It was of no surprise when Saoirse began to show an attunement to the nature that surrounded her, as a boy he was the same - the woodlands were his playground, just as they were hers now.  A bow and arrow were given to her as a child, her first weapons, her first tools of the trade.  She would never be able to take her father's mantle, but she would be able to provide.  It, however, was a surprise that she also held within herself, magic.  At first it was just simply little things that she could do, and then it...grew.

A druid who lived on the lands was brought to Saoirse to teach her how to harness this magic, lest she kill herself, and he taught her the art of healing by calling upon her chosen patron, D'wasayna the goddess of healing, life, and the hunt.  While she learned elvish things, protocol, and beliefs, her mother also taught her the value of good honest hard work, to love infinitely, and to never think she is better than anyone else.  That there would be those whom would make fun of her for the fact she only was one half, never full - but they are the ones whom should be pitied, because they are only shells in the belief that they are her better.  That there are those who are less fortunate than she, while she may never rise through the ranks, she still had a place in which she belonged.  From both of her parents she was taught what love truly looked like, what partnership could be, and what loyalty and honor truly meant. 

But the hardest lesson of all was that of death.  No, it was not that she had not experienced before.  Her first kill, the death of the eldest in the hamlet, deaths that seemed unfair and unjust.  But it was not personal, that is until her mother died suddenly after a fever hit her.  The druids attempted to heal her, clerics were called in, even the shaman.  But nothing could be done, and Sorcha passed away, leaving behind a grieving daughter and husband in her stead.  While she was not an elven maiden, she was given a proper burial inside of the hamlet, and all whom lived there attended, in memorial of her life, celebrating it.  Nevious was not a man who understood how to deal with his grief, nor his daughter's; so he chose instead to fight it out, to fight in the name of his goddess, to protect the life of those who could not fight for themselves.  With a calvary of volunteers, he rode off into the sunset to help assist those whom had been harmed by the Cull, and Saoirse began to become the woman that was foretold she would become, and follow the teachings of her parents, her druid teacher, and her goddess. 

Soon, Saoirse came to the capital more and more, at first it was only to get the lay of the land so to speak.  To find information out about her father and his calvary of protectors.  Then, she began to take up hunts for those who needed to speak for their crimes.  She was charming, she was mercurial at times, and she was very capable of her profession - all of which grabbed the attention of the King and Queen and others of the court.  While she could not hold a station, it was soon known she became their favored hunter.  Bringing criminals and game to the Court.  There were those who quietly gave the young woman their respect, though of course, it was not vocalized.  There were those who believed she flew too close to the sun and was going to get burned.  But she ignored all of this talk, for such trappings were not for her.  Instead, she allowed the goddess D'waysana to guide her feet and her mind.  And that is how one day she heard the call to join the crew of the Feychaser, and remembering the words of her mother, of her father - she stepped forward and offered her sword, her bow, her arrow, and herself to aide those who could not help themselves.  After an audience with her Queen and King, Saoirse took her leave, placing another hunter in her stead. 

Skills (3-5):
Ranged Weapons Journeyman - From the time she was a young girl, Saoirse took to a bow and arrow like a duck to water.  Her eye is keen and her aim is true, even being skilled with trick shots and firing multiple arrows.
Dual Wielding (Daggers)Apprentice - An arrow is not always a conventional method, and her mother taught her to favor the smaller more versatile blades. 
Healing MagicApprentice - With the hands of D'waysana guiding her, she can use pure magic to help heal less severe wounds and sicknesses, including putting a person into a healing sleep, however she must use items such as herbs, feathers, fresh water, soil, and even her own blood to heal more aggregious wounds.
Nature Affinity[Journeyman[/i] - With her time in the woods Saoirse has learned how to find her way through the wilderness by using natural telltale signs (how the moss grows, the way the birds fly, etc), recognizing natural hazards, dealing with and identifying natural creatures, living off the land as well as using camoflauge and tracking.
Charms[Apprentice[/i] - The Druid was able to teach Saoirse the ability to imbue her arrows with elemental magics such as fire, ice, and earth, as well as poisons specific for her quarry that she is hunting.

Strengths:
Way with words - Saoirse can bring about just about anyone given enough time, she has that sort of charm about her.  She can also get her point across without having to be forceful. 
Courageous - To walk into the courts and catch the attention of the Royals as well as to face the adversity, the snickers, and the stares takes balls (proverbial), and a steely spine, and the girl is definitely courageous, having fell some of the mightiest beasts and bandits.
Loyal - Saoirse is loyal to a cause in which she believes, to her leaders, and to her family.  Those who join the cause also find themselves to be gifted with her loyalty.
Hearty - Saoirse rarely ever finds herself sick, rarely gets a chill, and seems to be of a strong constitution and endless stamina.
Hunter's Mark - When Saoirse concentrates her focus on her querry, this makes her ignore distractions and sees through misdirection and stealth attempts.
Flaws:
Reckless - Saoirse can be reckless at times, in which she does not think of her own safety and plunges straight forward to whatever the trouble may be.  It almost seems like she goes out and seeks it.
Untravelled - Saoirse has not been farther than the Capital, and in doing so she has not had a chance to learn of other places or cultures.
Embittered Foes - There are those of the Court that believe Saoirse attempts to attain a station far above her means as a half-blood, and they wish to cut out her knees from under her and take the Hamlet as well as her inheritance from her for her 'transgressions.'
Connections:
Ons and Offs: Please see Player's O/O's

OOC safety net:

Ontan

Wolfing: Received and replied!

Tolvo: Yes! New characters are still welcome, and encouraged. You can check out the character roster to see what's here already.

Rebelle: Despite your dubious claims that there's nothing to see, I'm liking what you've got so far! If you want to write up a 2-3 line blurb about the goddess D'wasayna, I'm happy to add it to the worldbuilding... but that's entirely optional.

Arcadia: Independent guilds and organisations are definitely a thing, especially since the Unseelie (being insular and competitive by nature) were displaced and moved to Reamsul. I'm generally happy to give players plenty of latitude when it comes to naming things and places, but because you asked:

Naming conventions for Reamsul's institutions

The Royal Academies are the foremost institutions of learning and research in the east, and arguably the entire realm. They're renowned enough that their names need little embellishment: The Royal Academy of War, the Royal Academy of Theology, the Royal Academy of Alchemy, and so on.

Universities and temples are the next step down. They're smaller and far more numerous, but some of them are still extremely prestigious. They're named after places (The University of Iveos), or famous historical figures (The Temple of Aelrindel's Mercy, the Caihana University of Architecture, etc.).

Guilds and Houses are much more business oriented, and are fully independent. They can be famous or obscure, professional or seedy, exclusive or welcoming... the only prerequisite is that they're solvent, really. The larger guilds tend to have generic, descriptive names (the Builders' Guild, the Guild of Barber-Surgeons), while smaller operators, and Unseelie ones in particular, are much more theatrical (The Stonemaster Guild, the House of Mirrored Razors).

Edit: And Nikla Carraway, played by Wolfling, has joined the roster!

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Wolfling72 on April 17, 2018, 05:26:04 PM
An idea for a boisterous, terribly flirty half Orc warrior woman...working on her sheet now, Ontan. You should have something in PM before the night ends...

(damn you and GMC for being so damned awesome)

Wolfling72

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on April 18, 2018, 10:03:02 AM

Ohhh yes. YOU are a terrible influence, dammit...

Also YAY!! Nikla is in the house!!
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Rebelle

Quote from: Ontan on April 18, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
Wolfing: Received and replied!

Tolvo: Yes! New characters are still welcome, and encouraged. You can check out the character roster to see what's here already.

Rebelle: Despite your dubious claims that there's nothing to see, I'm liking what you've got so far! If you want to write up a 2-3 line blurb about the goddess D'wasayna, I'm happy to add it to the worldbuilding... but that's entirely optional.

Arcadia: Independent guilds and organisations are definitely a thing, especially since the Unseelie (being insular and competitive by nature) were displaced and moved to Reamsul. I'm generally happy to give players plenty of latitude when it comes to naming things and places, but because you asked:

Naming conventions for Reamsul's institutions

The Royal Academies are the foremost institutions of learning and research in the east, and arguably the entire realm. They're renowned enough that their names need little embellishment: The Royal Academy of War, the Royal Academy of Theology, the Royal Academy of Alchemy, and so on.

Universities and temples are the next step down. They're smaller and far more numerous, but some of them are still extremely prestigious. They're named after places (The University of Iveos), or famous historical figures (The Temple of Aelrindel's Mercy, the Caihana University of Architecture, etc.).

Guilds and Houses are much more business oriented, and are fully independent. They can be famous or obscure, professional or seedy, exclusive or welcoming... the only prerequisite is that they're solvent, really. The larger guilds tend to have generic, descriptive names (the Builders' Guild, the Guild of Barber-Surgeons), while smaller operators, and Unseelie ones in particular, are much more theatrical (The Stonemaster Guild, the House of Mirrored Razors).

Edit: And Nikla Carraway, played by Wolfling, has joined the roster!

Typing on my phone so I quoted the whole thing, sorry!!

I can work up the Goddess tonight, I'm not going to lie, I used the Goddess Dwayna from Guild Wars as inspiration for her.  ^.^  but I'm going to change a bit so she's totally one hundred percent original.  I'm glad you like what you see so far.  Usually I'm a person who gets a character sheet 100% done before even posting a wip, but I was tired last night. 

She should be finished by tomorrow evening (Thursday)

I are excited, all the characters so far are awesome.

Giantmutantcrab

Rebelle it is wonderful to have you here.

la dame en noir

I've been watching the thread closely because I didn't want to post unless I knew for sure that I could write out a character. Filling out character sheets is incredibly tough for me, but I'm pulling through.

Anyway, I was going to throw this concept out there and if its not allowed or taken - let me know.

A blacksmith Rogue.

She's human because I can't find anything that will make for a good dark-skinned elf without bordering on Dark-Elf or Drow.

SO yeah, also - a small snippet of the character is that she comes from a long line of blacksmiths and her family has made weapons for great warriors and the royal guard or military (whichever works).

Any input would be grand. I'm still slowly working on it, but I have to go to work now.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Giantmutantcrab

I see no issue with this.

You do you dear.

Kaiser

Is there still room available? This looks fantastic!

Giantmutantcrab

Chronoclasm

Sounds like a great concept, Lady in Black!

I'm probably not going to play Ungul again, having given it some thought. While delightful, I don't know that he'll be able to push the story forward. He was more reactive than active, which isn't always great for a sandbox roleplay.

Will give some thought to an alternate concept though. Because Ontan is an awesome GM. And because the Giant Crab and Wolfling were so much fun to write with last time too.

Rebelle

Heyas!

I wrote up the goddess.  She is against the Cull, and I could almost see her as an opponent of Sol in the pantheon.

D'wasayna: a good aligned multi-faceted Goddess.  Priests, priestess, shamans, and healers pray to her to guide their hands in healing those under their care.  Hunters pray to her to guide their weapons to fell their opponents either they be man, beast, or demon.  Those who are wishing to conceive pray to D'wasayna, and those whom prepare for parenthood pray for strong children.  D'wasayna appears to her followers as a tall pale elf or human, slender in form with dark wings that are said to carry the very stars in the heavens.  She carries a shield in one hand, and a staff of burning light in the other as if to shelter her followers.  In dreams and omens, it is said she also appears as a great spirit wolf who can howl away the demons.

Ontan

La dame en noir: The character art alone is a fantastic start, and I can't wait to see where it goes! The only thing I'd mention is that we're starting to get a lot of stealth / rogue archetypes: three of four approved characters can use stealth or pick a lock, and there might be a couple more if certain PM'd character sheets pan out. Personally, I don't think it's a problem: it means stealthy characters can team up and actually interact with someone, rather than being forced to go lone wolf because nobody can sneak alongside them. That said, I know that some people (understandably) like to distinguish their characters with unique skills, so it's just something to keep in mind. Besides, this whole rant only applies to the rogue angle; nobody else is going for a blacksmith, and honestly, what professions wouldn't benefit from having a crossbow-bracer?

Kaiser: Yes, there's still room! Right now, I'm tentatively aiming for around 10 characters as a max. After that, I'll take on new players to replace those who drop out.

Chronoclasm (and everyone else, for that matter): If there's anything I can do to help you develop a character concept, just ask!

Rebelle: Perfect - I'll get D'wasayna added to the Worldbuilding thread. You'll be credited for her creation, of course  :-)

Giantmutantcrab

In the spirit of tomorrow being friday and week-end soon...

Here is something from my favorite yotube shit-poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7-etz0DOI

Rebelle

Thanks Ontan, I'm glad you liked it :)

I have also updated her history - it is now complete (Yay!)

Now time to get cracking with the rest of this stuff, which some is going to be easier...While other things are going to make me use my noodle.

Ontan

Two new characters join the adventure! Leancaphir ("Leanne"), played by Presta, and Saoirse Windchaser, played by Rebelle, have been added to the character roster. There's still plenty of space left for new characters, though!

Giantmutantcrab

Oh damn

Saoirse's a full-blown Witcher

We are good, people. We are set.

Rebelle

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Rebelle on April 20, 2018, 01:22:43 PM
Witcher?

.....I are confused?

The medallion your character has. It is the symbol of a Witcher. Like from the video game series.

Rebelle

Ooooh that I did not know :)

And now I do :D

Giantmutantcrab

Basically she is supernatural in skill and abilities. Can fight several dozen people at once...

And if we remain faithful to the games, will bang anything with a heartbear and perhaps some things that don't have a heartbeat.

pdragon

This is still accepting characters right? If so I was wondering if you'd be willing to accept a fairy character, or would the tiny size be a problem?

idea 1

idea 2

idea 3
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Kokaine

Character finally sent. We shall see what Mister GM has to say about Bhleu.

My O/Os

RegretNot

Getting in my small write up for the God R'yarvo. 

R'yarvo - The enemy of my enemy is my friend fits well for the God of Chaos.  Finding himself switching sides after those that he allied with tried to assassinate him and his followers.  He supports the draw of Chaos and Entropy in the universe and is waiting when all things eventually break down and shatter.  He is a black robed figure with darkness that seems to swirl around his pale, sharp features.  Known to be a trickster and the god of luck.  Those who seek him out do so at their own peril or devotion to something they might not fully understand.  He goes by many names and is known for his many different personas when appearing to followers in dreams or any plane. 

Flower

I need to come up with a deity for my girl. I kind of want it to be an animal rather than a humanoid.

Giantmutantcrab

Flower

Haha. I'm thinking something more water dependent.

RegretNot

Goddess of Sea Creatures, highly volatile like the changing in the tide. 

Giantmutantcrab

tiny clawdad has purdy eyes

tiny clawdad is nice

tiny clawdad will be a fair and just god

Flower

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Hyacinth on April 21, 2018, 07:17:13 PM
Both of those are awesomesauce.

To be fair, RegretNot's does pack a bit more punch. And a mercurial god, affected by the moon cycle and tides could make a very dramatic, very passionate kind of being and its worship could be equally demanding but rewarding as well.

Flower

I'm actually tempted to use it as a face. xD

PrestaDGTation

If Leanne has a god, it's probably one of the ancient matriarchs of her people.

Cwen Chanjefir:

An ancient Fae Queene, Chanjefir is best known for her role in the False Garden of Things Once True, and for being the core personality in the tales of Five Heroic Masks.  She was a prodigious spell-caster, story teller, leader, and heroine.  One who, at the conclusion of her stories, is said to have been elevated to full godhood.  The Fae have a belief: Sweet Chanjefir's Voice can make a life worthy of a song, into a soul that is precious to the gods.

The Five Heroic Masks

Chanjefir was a storyteller, who commonly enjoyed taking the shape of different figures of her self-created legends. 

There was Beatrice, a human war-maiden who protected the innocent, and her constant struggle for glory.
  There was Omalsce, a devious black cat that made trouble for those who thought themselves wise.
  There was Peg, a horse of legend, constantly searching for a rider worthy of itself.
  There was Thyme, an elf who lived backwards at night, and who tried to resolve a great intrigue.
  There was So'aam, a sailor who'd won a life-debt from a ship of pirates, and his many misadventures.
  And there was K'telphesanc, the Sixth Mask.  Heroes are defined by their villains, they say.  And K'telphesanc was a monster, every bit as clever as he was terrible.

While most of the tales are isolated to a single character, the deeds of the other four would affect the world they lived in.  K'telphesanc, specifically, was Peg's adversary.  Crossovers begin to happen as the great deeds of the others pile on, and Peg begins 'choosing' each of them to be her rider.  Yes, even the cat.  While the apogee of the saga is to have the five heroes unite against their mutual enemy, K'telphesanc is signaturely capable of delaying that grand event.  A strange but ubiquitious part of the tales, meant to make even the listeners hate the monster for always managing to deny them their triumphant ending.

These Masks are important, because Chanjefir never directly appears to her worshippers.  Doing so would make it her story, instead.  But she will sometimes arrive in disguise.  If a knowledgeable Fae encounters any of these archetypes, they will usually think carefully about to proceed.  And of course, sometimes her worshippers call the names of her faces directly, as though they were demi-gods.

In times now, invoking the name of K'telphesanc is common.  It would be useful, now, to be clever without end, capable of any cruelty.  And to always cheat the ending.

The False Garden of Things Once True

This story is a Fae Epic, describing the mythic Game of the Gods, and how Chanjefir rose to dwell among their order.  As with any epic, the overall story is fairly simple, and the length of the tale is in details and episodic recounts that, when omitted, make for a fairly short read.

Chanjefir lived in the days when the Gods played games upon the world.  To create an exchange of power between the divine clans, the Gods created a competition, and chose the children of earth, tree, ocean and mountain as their champions, who would race to collect Dynastic Totems to secure their rule.  Chanjefir was one of those chosen, along with other heroic mortals to work alongside her.  The Fire Dwarf.  The Enshaden Prince.  The Horned Cleric.  Many tales are told of their deeds.  But at the end of them all, they failed.  And the world changed.

Distraught, Chanjefir absconded with one of the inert Totems and flew to the edge of the world.  With her great magic, she created a powerful illusion of what the world was before the change.  A False Garden of Things Once True.  And there she hid, waiting for a thousand years, and keeping the totem safe for the next champions.  Living for so long inside her own illusions eventually drove her mad.  When the heroes finally appeared, she did not recognize them, and gave them battle.  With combat fruitless, the champions turned to guile.  These tales are freely adapted, as a battle of wits between heaven-sent mortals and ancient, bedlamic illusionists seems to stimulate a storyteller's invention.  But, suffice it to say, the mortals eventually out-foxed Chanjefir and escaped with the totem.

The enraged Chanjefir chased the champions across the world, at times appearing in disguise, and at times working with their adversaries, trying to reclaim what she had once kept safe.  There are no less than 14 different locations in which Chanjefir, in some form or another, harassed the party.  At last, one of the heroes determined to raise the dead, to summon the ghost of Enshaden Prince, to reason with her.  With the counsel of her one-time ally, Chanjefir saw clearly enough to join the heroes in their final battle.  Through their sharpened guile, the heroes succeeded.  And the world was renewed.

While the heroes celebrated, Chanjefir returned to the Garden, now filled with True Things That Were Once False.  In honor of her tale, the Gods invited her to join their ranks.  As so there, within a place where fantasy and truth constantly traded places, Chanjefir became the first truly divine Queene of the Fae.

In times now, the story brings a certain grim comfort.  As though perhaps, the Nameless Glade is simply another rhyming verse in history.  Another place where a False Garden may become a Truth.

I blurt.

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on April 21, 2018, 07:08:58 PM
tiny clawdad has purdy eyes

tiny clawdad is nice

tiny clawdad will be a fair and just god

Also, this made me giggle!  Leanne would totally worship Clawdad!
"I see. Hell is populated entirely by Theater Majors." - Majabya, while watching Hazbin Hotel.

Giantmutantcrab

Lots of attractive women in this party.

I like.

Ontan

Soriel Cloudwatcher, played by Arcadia, joins the character roster!

GMC makes a point, and there are even a couple more female characters in the works. For all those who haven’t started on their character concepts: males would be preferred, but I won't put any hard limits on character creation just yet.

pdragon: It’s a tough call, especially after the last picture of a fairy anointing herself in blood, but the tiny size might be too much of a departure from the other humanoids. Sorry. (Edit: Just to clarify, that wasn't sarcasm. I genuinely loved the last pic!)
Kokaine: PM sent!
RegretNot: Thanks for the write up! I’ll get that posted to the worldbuilding thread.
Presta: As above, with the additional comment that the rest of the lore was too damn good to pass up. The Five Heroic Masks and the False Garden of Things Once True have been added to the miscellaneous info!

Giantmutantcrab

RegretNot and I are cool with a caravan of gorgeous, scantilly-clad, promiscuous ladies.

Our characters will just need good nights of rest.

Yanno.

Rebelle

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on April 22, 2018, 11:08:16 AM
RegretNot and I are cool with a caravan of gorgeous, scantilly-clad, promiscuous ladies.

Our characters will just need good nights of rest.

Yanno.

Mine does not fit any of that bill.

Chronoclasm

>:(

*Angrily throws his half-finished "female Un'gulachshay" concept in the trash!* UGH! BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

(Actually, I do have a concept. I'll try to write it up tonight.)

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Rebelle on April 22, 2018, 12:46:07 PM
Mine does not fit any of that bill.

She is gorgeous.

And a powerful fighter.

Bjorn respects that deeply.

Flower

I was in the middle of edits and lost it. :'( I need to redownload Lazarus.

Kokaine

Quote from: Chronoclasm on April 22, 2018, 01:22:44 PM
>:(

*Angrily throws his half-finished "female Un'gulachshay" concept in the trash!* UGH! BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

(Actually, I do have a concept. I'll try to write it up tonight.)

Oh my.

My O/Os

Flower

Giantmutantcrab

Ontan

Amaranth, played by Hyacinth, and Bhleu, played by Kokaine, have been added to the character roster!

Also, the Moments in Time thread is now up for approved characters who want to post any flashbacks or one-shot stories. I'll also be opening a prelude thread at some point, so that approved characters can mingle with each other while we wait for the last few applications.

Giantmutantcrab

Flower

Kokaine

Im seriously looking forward to this ^^

My O/Os

Giantmutantcrab

Question!

Do we have a world map?

Do we want a world map?

Ontan

There's currently no world map, and every time I agonise over whether to make one, I come up with a different answer. Not having a map has its benefits: locations can be added or moved, it saves on detail (of which there's already a lot), and I like that it gives people space to have their own interpretations of the game world. Then again, maps convey a huge amount of information, and they provide a lot of clarity. There's also a weird sense of completion about having a world map, as if the setting becomes more tangible.

So... simply put, there's no map yet but I'm open to hear people's opinions about making one.

Chronoclasm

I probably won't get my write up until tomorrow. I have all the details worked out though, I just need to sit down and write it up! Been traveling this weekend, and haven't had access to my computer.

(And the thought of writing my character sheet on my cell phone made my stomach hurt.)

On maps, I don't think we need one ... Yet. But they may prove helpful as the adventure begins? Maybe start out with a vague, nondetailed map for orientation purposes and slowly fill in details as we go?

Flower

Kokaine

Im fine with or without a map really, so unless someone just really enjoys making them I'd vote to continue without one.

My O/Os

Hamadryad

Giantmutantcrab

Kokaine

Btw, if anyone has a character that's been in or around the capital in the last few years and wants to talk maybe a past encounter or something with Bhleu, let me know.

My O/Os

Giantmutantcrab

Kokaine

Yeah, I figure could be fun to have a past encounter that colors things for the present or even just a shared event that was witnessed from different perspectives to help break the ice a bit. Dunno. I like the small fluff bits >.<

My O/Os

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Kokaine on April 25, 2018, 04:22:48 PM
Yeah, I figure could be fun to have a past encounter that colors things for the present or even just a shared event that was witnessed from different perspectives to help break the ice a bit. Dunno. I like the small fluff bits >.<

I love small fluff bits.

...anyone want Big B as a buddy?

Ontan

To all those who’ve sent PMs: expect a reply in the morning! Until then, apologies for the delay.

Shado

I am gonna throw my half-demonic enchantress back into the character roster here. Love this whole story/concept and want to explore it more with y'all!
Wubba-lubba-dub-dub

Chronoclasm

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on April 25, 2018, 05:41:56 PM...anyone want Big B as a buddy?

I can vouch for Björn's worth as an ally. He was the best buddy to my wretched little homunculus last game!

This time around, Björn and my character are probably more likely to be frenemies. O:) I might be playing an Imperial (depending on Ontan's feedback of course).

Quote from: ShadoI am gonna throw my half-demonic enchantress back into the character roster here. Love this whole story/concept and want to explore it more with y'all!

Awesome seeing you back, too, Shado!

PrestaDGTation

Captain Tyerea - Leanne will adore her.  When the Captain's vanity has pissed literally everyone else on the Faychaser off, Leanne will still be giggling, intoxicated by such a graceful creature in such risqué armor, drunk off her own beauty.  Not that Leanne will be constantly trying to seduce her, but she will be, shall we say, huggy.

Bosun Borlas - Honestly, I see a lot of potential for fun between these two.  One is stern, and quiet.  The kind that expects good work.  Leanne, meanwhile, is a free spirited song bird that starts dancing on a whim.  The kind that expects good play.  Hijinks will likely ensue!

For the rest of you, I'm sending plot nom PMs.  Leanne likes to keep to herself, so backstory shenanigans might be rare.  But if I have an idea, huzzah!

Why am I so excited about this game!?  -clacks away merrily-

Ontan

Desmond Brouchard, played by Chronoclasm, has been added to the character roster!
As Presta has noted, the two main NPCs have also sneaked in, though Tyerea is still missing her background for the time being...

Shado: Glad to have you back!
People who sent PMs: If I've missed anyone in the flurry of replies, just give me a gentle prod.

The character roster is looking pretty full, and the game is almost ready to begin! I won't jinx it by committing to a specified date just yet, but I'll aspire to do it for next Friday, which'll hopefully be enough time for people to finalise character sheets (or character connections, for those already approved).

la dame en noir

Waiting to submit because there are so many female characters lol
A&A | FxF |

Chronoclasm

I forgot to mention that I'm pleased to be joining the group!

The credit for my picture goes to Nordheimer: https://nordheimer.deviantart.com/art/Captain-Diego-Alatriste-572909280

The character himself will be an interesting foil, I think, to a lot of the others on crew. O:) All you non-humans will also just adore him, I'm sure, as will everyone with anti-Imperial leanings!

Kokaine

Getting Bhleu out of her shell should prove to be an interesting journey amid the current characters, I think.

My O/Os

Ontan

La dame en noir: Feel free to submit the character anyway, if you so wish! There's no actual restriction against female characters. My previous comment on male character being preferred is only aimed at those who are genuinely ambivalent about their character's gender.

Recruitment is still open, but the game is very nearly ready to start! You can tell because there are new threads appearing:
  • The Prelude chapter is now open! While the adventurer hasn't officially started, I've created this thread so that approved characters can start to mingle and interact while we gather up the last few character applications.
  • On a similar note, an OOC chat thread has also been created! This provides a place for approved characters to chat, plot and... look, you know what an OOC thread is for!
  • Lastly, the Moments in Time thread has had some header code added to it. Also, Presta has already made a fantastic post there, so you should all go read it. Or make your own posts. Or ideally both.

I'll reply to the latest round of PMs a little later tonight, so if you're waiting on a reply, don't panic. In the meantime, I'd like to thank GiantMutantCrab, who has unwisely bravely generously offered to help as co-GM!

la dame en noir

Quote from: Ontan on May 02, 2018, 12:51:58 AM
La dame en noir: Feel free to submit the character anyway, if you so wish! There's no actual restriction against female characters. My previous comment on male character being preferred is only aimed at those who are genuinely ambivalent about their character's gender.

Alrighty then!
A&A | FxF |

ff

Charater submitted for approval.

(EDIT: PMed, and deleted since the concept has been somewhat changed-up anyway)

Giantmutantcrab

Hi there.

Thank you for the interest. Please send character submissions to ye olde GM in PM please.

ff

PMed.

I'll leave the sheet here in OOC as well if that's OK, since we can't very well concoct content for the Connections section (say that three time fast) without seeing each other's (potential) characters as well  ::)

ff

Oh and if it's true that the current roster is female heavy: in my experience (as in, last 5-6 group RPs in a row), early recruitment always seems to lean female, but then the RPs end up leaning male (and if a 'secondary recruitment for males' is added to the recruitment thread, lean even further male.) Don't know why. Maybe the girls' milkshake tends to bring the boys to the yard.

So I suspect the RP will end up balanced or leaning male anyway.

Doesn't matter a whole lot to me, what with a bi submission  ::)

Ontan

ff: Thanks for sending in the character sheet! I've sent a PM in reply.

Leaving a draft to the recruitment thread is fine, but please make a ninja-edit to remove the OOC safety net section from your previous post. As noted in the character creation guide, it's supposed to be hidden from public posts!

ff

Ah yes, of course, thanks.

Just deleted the whole thing since I've just changed up the concept some anyway as per PM discussion.

Ontan

Sorenzahn Lemeris, played by Shado, and Izzyra the Sumptuous, played by Lithium, have been added to the character roster!

If there's anyone else wanting to get a character in, now's the time  ;)

Shado

Wubba-lubba-dub-dub

Kokaine

Come join us! There's plenty of room and I'd love to flesh out some connections/plots with my Bhleu!

My O/Os

Shado

I've got my character in. Playing Sorenzahn the half-demon. Haven't posted to the Prelude thread yet, but I'm workin on it
This is also a return, for me. First time around for this game was a really great time. I am really liking this character line-up too though, and I think this is going to be lotsa fun.

Connections for my character are open, although they will be in name and reputation mostly, since he's been a shut-in most of his life.
Anybody can pretty much feel free to come at me with ideas tho! I'm sure my character's family is a nice topic of gossip around any magic-obsessed and upper class folks of Reamsul.
Wubba-lubba-dub-dub

Giantmutantcrab

Björn distrusts magic so they will be fast friends.

Ontan

Chescara, played by ff, joins the adventure!

At this point, I don't think there'll be any strict closing on character applications (at least, not until the game has been going a while and the player base has stabilised), but the Prelude chapter is already well underway, and the first chapter of the adventure proper is just around the corner. If there's anyone still wanting to get on board for the start of the game, let me know!

ff

la dame en noir

A&A | FxF |

CurvyKitten

I have to say after thinking about it for a bit my muse is hopping lol. But before my muse runs away with me and the idea I have brewing I wanted to run it past you. Just so I don't end up tinkering away at a sheet for hours for nothing. Is it ok to pm?

Ontan

la dame: Can't wait! If there's anything I can do to help with character creation, just let me know.

CurvyKitten: It's always okay to PM  :-)

la dame en noir

After 10,000 she's finally free. My character is DONE. I HATE profiles D:
A&A | FxF |

Ontan

Thanks for your patience, la dame. Odasis Yule has joined the character roster!

At this point, the game is basically ready to begin! I'll give the Prelude thread a few more days for people to make introductions, but then it's really time that the main adventure gets underway  ;)