News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merah

My Star Wars roleplay on here has rekindled my interest in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and so I resubscribed...

God, I forgot how complex it is to play a class like my Jedi Shadow! SO many skills to use properly to optimize your performance in combat. And did I mention that my formerly-elite PVE gear is now like 5 tiers beneath the newest stuff they've added?

But they've added new storyline and levels to the endgame, plus a bunch of other content, so I am enjoying it!

Venka

I'm also hooked on Crusader Kings 2.  I'm not even much of a history person, but I love maps, which is what drew me to it.  Honestly, I think I've learned more history reading the Wikipedia articles of characters I've played in CK2 (and their kingdoms... and major events... and things vaguely related... oh how Wikipedia sucks me in...) than I ever did in school.

It took me quite a few games to get the hang of it.  Starting as a count or duke helped curb the things I had to manage as I was getting the hang of it, but now that I know what's going on being a king is a lot of fun.  Taking over places, assassinating people, and generally messing up history is awesome!  I got the Old Gods DLC not too long ago just because I like anything Norse, and I've been taking over all of Scandinavia!

IStateYourName

Quote from: Shjade on January 03, 2014, 09:14:29 PM
Partially agreed. You can keep throwing units at the problem, it just takes longer since they have to go in one at a time. The opposing side's still going to get battered down eventually unless they're WAY ahead on tech.

What I would have loved to see is a reasonable limit placed on unit stacks (say, 8).  And when you initiate a battle, it opens up into a battlefield a la Total War, but with a somewhat stripped-down list of options (I would want battles to be resolved in 15 to 120 seconds, not ten or more minutes like TW).  The battlefield would have terrain that was randomly generated, but based on the terrain the attacking and defending units occupied right before the battle.  Individual units would get bonuses and penalties based on terrain and what they attack, just like in Civ today.

Shjade

Quote from: Changingsaint on January 04, 2014, 04:27:20 AM
Dragon's Dogma is a horribly optimized game that was released before it could be fully finished and optimized. Its a terribly rushed game and yet I found myself really enjoying it. It didn't hurt that I could Guts from Berserk's armor in it, so I could travel the lands as the cursed swordsman.

Yeah, I have to admit Dragon's Dogma's framerate drops surprised me, being fairly new to the PS3 scene. Whenever I'm running through two Anodyne clouds it chugs like hell. For the MOST part it does okay, but some spells just put everything into slow motion for way too long. x.x

Sidenote, I wish I'd known about the Guts/Griffith gear when I was still low enough in level for it to be good stuff. By the time I found it I already had better for every slot. Sad day. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: IStateYourName on January 04, 2014, 01:09:07 PM
What I would have loved to see is a reasonable limit placed on unit stacks (say, 8).  And when you initiate a battle, it opens up into a battlefield a la Total War, but with a somewhat stripped-down list of options (I would want battles to be resolved in 15 to 120 seconds, not ten or more minutes like TW).  The battlefield would have terrain that was randomly generated, but based on the terrain the attacking and defending units occupied right before the battle.  Individual units would get bonuses and penalties based on terrain and what they attack, just like in Civ today.
Nah, I don't think that fixes any problems and just adds more time to turns.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TentacleFan

Quote from: Inkidu on January 04, 2014, 07:07:24 AM
As much as I appreciate the date 1066, my degree being English and all, the crusades didn't actually start until 1096. So I find the title misleading.

Still, playing the Battle of Hastings might be pretty fun.

It's true it starts ahead of the actual Crusades so it can fit in the Battle of Hastings (and a couple of hundred years earlier still with the expansion) but it does let you pick when you want to start so you can adjust and jump right into the First Crusade if you like.  :-)

Quote from: Venka on January 04, 2014, 11:30:44 AM
I'm also hooked on Crusader Kings 2.  I'm not even much of a history person, but I love maps, which is what drew me to it.  Honestly, I think I've learned more history reading the Wikipedia articles of characters I've played in CK2 (and their kingdoms... and major events... and things vaguely related... oh how Wikipedia sucks me in...) than I ever did in school.

It took me quite a few games to get the hang of it.  Starting as a count or duke helped curb the things I had to manage as I was getting the hang of it, but now that I know what's going on being a king is a lot of fun.  Taking over places, assassinating people, and generally messing up history is awesome!  I got the Old Gods DLC not too long ago just because I like anything Norse, and I've been taking over all of Scandinavia!

I agree, starting as a count or duke so I can build up my power base is preferred. I tried starting as the Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire early on and it was too overwhelming. I could probably handle it now but I'm busy with a playthrough as an African dynasty from Mali who has taken most of the Iberian peninsula and the islands in the Mediterranean for the followers of the Prophet! The kinds of alternate history worlds you can create is wonderful.  :D
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

MikeandIke

Still kind of addicted to Batman Arkham Origins for some reason. I'm a huge Batman fan and I think the story is very close to the source material. Plus, it's fun to just glide around and randomly beat the crap out of bad guys while screaming "I'm the motherfucking Batman!!" So satisfying after a long day at work.

That, or randomly causing violence in Grand Theft Auto V. Don't really see many games coming out in the coming months that I just have to buy.
Ons and Offs & The Seven Sins of Role Playing (Updated 1/14/14)

KCCO Chivers ;)

IStateYourName

Quote from: TentacleFan on January 04, 2014, 10:11:06 PM
It's true it starts ahead of the actual Crusades so it can fit in the Battle of Hastings (and a couple of hundred years earlier still with the expansion) but it does let you pick when you want to start so you can adjust and jump right into the First Crusade if you like.  :-)

I agree, starting as a count or duke so I can build up my power base is preferred. I tried starting as the Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire early on and it was too overwhelming. I could probably handle it now but I'm busy with a playthrough as an African dynasty from Mali who has taken most of the Iberian peninsula and the islands in the Mediterranean for the followers of the Prophet! The kinds of alternate history worlds you can create is wonderful.  :D

There is appeal to starting out at the bottom.  I'll call my kingdom...the Most Serene Republic of Bob.   ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: IStateYourName on January 13, 2014, 12:49:25 PM
There is appeal to starting out at the bottom.  I'll call my kingdom...the Most Serene Republic of Bob.   ;D
Oh, dude. You can start your own nation?

SOLD!

That's my problem with a lot of these games by the way. Sure you can conquer Europe from a small Podunk nation, but I like the ground-up approach. ;)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bliss

I picked up a recent Humble Bundle, and I've been having quite a time with the point-and-click puzzle-ish games Botanicula and Samorost 2.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

consortium11

Crusader Kings 2 also has a brilliant Game of Thrones Mod with many new features that are so good I've imported them into the main game (albeit not all historically accurate).

If you're willing to plonk down the money for DLC you can also import your games from Crusader Kings 2 into Europa Universalis 4... which means you can play a single campaign from 867AD to 1821AD. A couple of kingdoms/cultures/empires (for lack of a better term) that essentially didn't exist in the Europa Universalis 4 timeframe, notably the Jomsvikings, Hashashin, Incas, Aztecs, Israel and Roman Empire (although you may need the relevant CK2 DLC).

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on January 13, 2014, 06:46:29 PM
Crusader Kings 2 also has a brilliant Game of Thrones Mod with many new features that are so good I've imported them into the main game (albeit not all historically accurate).

If you're willing to plonk down the money for DLC you can also import your games from Crusader Kings 2 into Europa Universalis 4... which means you can play a single campaign from 867AD to 1821AD. A couple of kingdoms/cultures/empires (for lack of a better term) that essentially didn't exist in the Europa Universalis 4 timeframe, notably the Jomsvikings, Hashashin, Incas, Aztecs, Israel and Roman Empire (although you may need the relevant CK2 DLC).
I'll see if I like CKII before messing with it. :|

Paradox games are hit or miss with me. In fact I tend to only enjoy the games the publish, not develop (SotS, Mount & Blade). Their games are historically accurate ad nausem, but that's kind of hit or miss when it comes to actually being fun, and my minor was in history, only because I liked English just a little more. :\

EDIT: Also, haven't really ever wanted to get into Game of Thrones. :P

Queen of spades

Quote from: Bliss on January 13, 2014, 05:41:38 PM
I picked up a recent Humble Bundle, and I've been having quite a time with the point-and-click puzzle-ish games Botanicula and Samorost 2.

I picked those up as well. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed them in the end.
~Queen of Spades' plots and scenes ~
~Ons and Offs~
~A/A~
In private messages, feel free to call me 'C'

Revelation

Been playing the Bravely Default demo on 3DS. If you liked old school final fantasy games with job classes and world maps and all, this is definitely the game for you. Its been getting a lot of rave reviews in japan and europe where its released, and the demo is great. The demo is also full of unique content to the demo, which isn't in the actual game itself.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Changingsaint on January 14, 2014, 11:48:24 AM
Been playing the Bravely Default demo on 3DS. If you liked old school final fantasy games with job classes and world maps and all, this is definitely the game for you. Its been getting a lot of rave reviews in japan and europe where its released, and the demo is great. The demo is also full of unique content to the demo, which isn't in the actual game itself.

This intrigues me, downloading now.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Bliss

Quote from: Queen of spades on January 14, 2014, 09:48:31 AM
I picked those up as well. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed them in the end.

I had played the first Samarost game free on the web and lurved it, so I figured what I was paying was going to be worth it for the sequel at very least.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Queen of spades

The first is free? I didn't realise. I will have to hunt that down then. Thanks!
~Queen of Spades' plots and scenes ~
~Ons and Offs~
~A/A~
In private messages, feel free to call me 'C'

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

AnaBellaJade

I am a Halo kind of girl
And Zelda....
And Mario

ZK

Countless many to count; I know, I am dorking it up but here lately I have been having a blast with adventure games like Primordia and Deponia and Life Sims like Long Live The Queen.

Other than that, I've been playing Starbound!
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

SinXAzgard21

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 14, 2014, 11:38:33 PM
From what I played I'm more than likely going to pick it up.
I did a stupid, stupid, stupid thing and bought the collector's edition based on the Job system alone.  But I can't find it in myself to feel bad.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 14, 2014, 11:45:01 PM
I did a stupid, stupid, stupid thing and bought the collector's edition based on the Job system alone.  But I can't find it in myself to feel bad.

Damn, what does it come with?

Finally got Monster hunter after practicing the controls on the demo for the longest time.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 14, 2014, 11:59:33 PM
Damn, what does it come with?

Finally got Monster hunter after practicing the controls on the demo for the longest time.
Game, AR cards (34), Soundtrack and itty bitty Artbook.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 15, 2014, 01:48:08 AM
Game, AR cards (34), Soundtrack and itty bitty Artbook.

Ah, I'll just get the normal version.