News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Question about .WMA files

Started by Oniya, February 13, 2010, 02:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

For a while now, Mr. Oniya has been talking about getting a portable audio device to upgrade the old Walkman.  Since getting Vista, he has numerous CDs ripped to his laptop (thanks to a Geek Squad associate who told him that was the only way that he could play a CD on his laptop - as opposed to being able to just put it in and having it autoplay from the CD). 

Whether or not that's true, it means that he's got a lot of audio files of his favorite songs.  Looking at them from Properties, it says that they are .WMA (Windows Media Audio) files.  What I'd like to do is find a portable audio device that supports them, so that I (or he) can just upload files from one to the other.  In my research, I've run into a confusion point:  Half a dozen  different types of .WMA files - WMA, WMA DRM, WMAPro, Protected WMA (DRM), Protected WMA (DRM9) and Protected WMA (DRM10).

Are these reverse compatible? (i.e. will something that supports Protected WMA (DRM10) support all six?)
If not, is there a way of determining what flavor of WMA his existing files are?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HockeyGod

Not that I would advocate, but what I did, and seems to work...was go the route of an iPod. I did as well, rip my CDs using Windows Media. I even bought one of the early digital players. It just wasn't as functional for me as I would have liked. Plus...while I'm not an Apple user or anything, iTunes really does rock.

I was able to easily import all my WMA and affiliated files into iTunes and now I am happy. There's a simple process to import them. It finds the files for you by itself too.

Oniya

As I said, he only ripped them because it appeared to be the only way to use the laptop as a CD player.  All of the CDs are also stacked on our shelf, so the RIAA would have nothing to criticize us for.  This is just so he can listen to music while he mows the lawn or goes for a walk around town.

Thanks for the info!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Josietta

There is also a program called Jodix (which is free for use) that can convert WMAs into MP3s.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

WhiteyChan

Quote from: Josietta on February 14, 2010, 05:30:48 PM
There is also a program called Jodix (which is free for use) that can convert WMAs into MP3s.

There are a lot of programs like this - worth investigating. On the other hand, the easiest way to find out whether a device supports it or not is to buy the device. Look through specs, find the device you like the most (I recommend the Creative Zen series) and buy it. Put the music onto it, and if it works, brilliant - if not, get a software such as Jodix to convert them to an open format like MP3.

DrFier

There's a site I use to convert files, that covers just about any file type you can imagine having a use for, but their servers have been down for a while now, and there's a file size cap (not usually a problem for music, but it would prevent you from converting some songs.)
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.