Crown Wars (3.P DnD, Forgotten Realms) (recruitment open)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, March 29, 2013, 03:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 13, 2013, 08:07:20 PM
Works for me. ^^ And I don't have a set cohort in mind, no.  If you'd like to build me a sexy centaur cohort, then go right ahead.

Succubi have 8 HD.  And considering that I won't have the ability to wear armor unless I spend feats on it, I think I'll be pretty fragile to most foes already.  I really don't think that the HD tax is needed, because the Charisma-based Cleric casting is already balanced out by being two levels below CR, and I'll pretty much be required to take either Cleric levels or a divine casting prestige class if I want to progress it from there.

I'm going to look at what the Lilitu has and give my opinion. Id say compare it to a theoretical PC oracle and see what comes out stronger and weaker.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kunoichi

Alright, having started rebuilding my character, I think I'll retract my request for two extra HD.  I still don't think it would be overpowered for me to have them, but it's looking like I won't be too underpowered without them, either.

For my two class levels, Zaer, I'm looking at a 3.5 prestige class from Races of Stone.  The Divine Prankster is normally a gnome-only prestige class focused around the Perform (Comedy) skill.  Would it be possible to alter it to not be race-specific, and to just be focused around Perform in general?  The mechanics of the prestige class really seem like they'd fit my character concept quite well.

theLeslie

Just a curious question.  Are we getting closer to a start date?  Do we have one nailed down yet?  I am patient, just checking in for my own curiosity.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: theLeslie on April 19, 2013, 05:48:59 PM
Just a curious question.  Are we getting closer to a start date?  Do we have one nailed down yet?  I am patient, just checking in for my own curiosity.

I believe Zaer estimated the start of may

Rhaegar14

Well, skimming 22 pages of posts was exhausting, but I think I'm interested in this game. I don't know how I missed it earlier.

Miyeritar and Keltormir both sound like fun nations to be a part of, though I'm not sure on a character personality or whether I want to be a commoner or a noble. My instincts normally say commoner to progress faster, but this is a forum game and unless Zaer plans to hand out xp left and right it will be a LOOOOOOOONG time before a 3rd-level character can get high enough in level to even be on a 12th-level character's radar, let alone surpass them. I'm leaning towards Keltormir based on Kolbrandr's summary, but do not want to find myself forever alone with nobody to play with.

I do have one specific character concept which demands I ask this question: do any of the nations hold close ties to dragons?

As for character details, I was thinking of doing an Eternal Blade build (absolutely oozes appropriate fluff), or maybe a weird Magus build with the Cabalist 3rd-party archetype (in brief, it switches out their prepared casting for spontaneous casting with a bard's spells known and spells per day, then trades spell recall and knowledge pool for a Sorcerer bloodline) and Dragon Disciple prestige class. The latter demands the question above, as well as whether or not I would be allowed to use Cabalist. I haven't come up with a super solid backstory yet (I'd need to pick a nation to do that), but both of those characters have some built-in fluff to them.

Zaer, if I may ask, I'm curious; in a world where the Magus class exists and is a part of official Pathfinder material, why put the effort into updating the Duskblade?
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Zaer Darkwail

The game will start next week, likely full roll in next friday but likely make some posts in wednesday or thursday. As I finish my school project by then.

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on April 19, 2013, 10:40:14 PM
Zaer, if I may ask, I'm curious; in a world where the Magus class exists and is a part of official Pathfinder material, why put the effort into updating the Duskblade?

Magus is more a lighter build 'gish' build and duskblade is more about wearing heavy armor and use big damn sword (so archetypical duskblade is a 'knight' where as magus is lightly armored 'duelist'). Also I tried make the classes bit different in having different approaches like duskblades getting magical mount and having other cool stuff after 10th level and so on.

Anyways what comes to your question, out of my memory none elven nations have any close connection to dragons. Overall elves fought against dragons centuries ago to win their freedom and took world's rulership off from them. Some may have 'dragon knights' who ride on dragons into battle but they are small narrow elite units than whole kingdom ruling connection.

You could enter dragon discipline class as part of family tradition where you come from or because your family had some vassal status or connection to some dragonlord in the past before elves won their freedom.

Anyways some players have dropped and so there is free spots, also now after long while seeing limiting access to specific kingdoms with slots feel burden to keep recorded up so you can go any kingdom so long it's not Aryvandaari.

Re Z L

I must not be keeping theLeslie's attention!

*Gets out the whip!*

;D
A&A

Rhaegar14

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 20, 2013, 04:32:20 PMAnyways some players have dropped and so there is free spots, also now after long while seeing limiting access to specific kingdoms with slots feel burden to keep recorded up so you can go any kingdom so long it's not Aryvandaari.

Well if that's the case, does anybody need a friend? XD
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on April 21, 2013, 03:14:06 AM
Well if that's the case, does anybody need a friend? XD

Your avatar looks delicious. I may have to siege your castle sooner or latter.

Rhaegar14

The awesome character idea that came to me just sold me on Eternal Blade.

For those unfamiliar, the Eternal Blade prestige class' fluff is as follows: an Eternal Blade is an elite elf warrior who is guided and trained by the spirit of an ancient, mighty, elf hero. This spirit is called the Blade Guide. 99% of Eternal Blades are chosen at birth, their Blade Guides appearing in their dreams long before taking levels in the PrC. Statistically, they evolve most naturally out of Warblades, and have a couple neat features built around using maneuvers you don't know and applying your Intelligence modifier to stuff. They also require a whopping BAB +10, which certainly helps to sell that whole "elite warrior" thing.

So, my idea was for a character whose Blade Guide is a figure of epic legend. Someone ridiculously famous, even by Blade Guide standards. This makes the character something of a big deal, a local golden boy, if you will. He has done nothing to earn this (he's probably a commoner) and is riding solely on his Blade Guide's legend. But he does not enjoy this treatment, he detests it. He wants nothing to do with this famous hero, or all the expectations people have placed upon him because of the situation, he just wants to live his own life and find his own identity. I would probably try to characterize him as antiheroic in a spitefully lazy sort of way, but not a grimdark way, as if he's actively trying not to live up to people's expectations.

But now where to drop him?

PaleEnchantress

I was looking at the Shadar-kai in the fiend folio, they are so awesome and perfect for followers considering my characters theme. As written they are a bit unwieldy for pathfinder characters (in my case followers) so I took a bit of inspiration from their 4th ed version and other Pathfinder advanced races. I kept pretty true to the FF version, lowered the Dex bonus down from +6, lowered the +10 "stealth+ bonus, made a clause that the shadow curse cant be fatal in itself, changed their bonus feat EWP "Spiked Chain" to be in line with other racial weapon familiarities. Gave them an alternate choice for stat bonus that is more in line with their 4th ed version, added +2 racial bonus to bluff. They are pretty in line with most of the other advanced races. Zaer said it looks fine to him but wanted to hear if anyone finds something glaringly odd about it.

Shadar-Kai Medium Fey (Extraplanar)
Stats +4 Dex +2 Int -2 Cha

Hide in Plain Sight
Superiour Low Light Vision
Sneak Attack 1d6
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff +4 Stealth

Shadow Curse: As written in the fiend folio. (Shadar kai that are dazed, stunned, paralyzed or unconscious must have a DC 15 will save or gain a negative level that cant be removed unless on the shadow plane ect...) Add: These negative levels cant accumulate enough to kill them. If they fail a save against shadow curse when the negative level would mean death they take 4 Con damage that cant be healed until their negative levels are removed. AT that point the shadow curse has reached its peak and they take no more penalties fro it until they get rid of at least one negative level.Negative levels from other sources can stack with those from the shadow curse to kill them.

Weapon Familiarity: Shadar-Kai treat the whip and spiked chain as martial weapons.

Alternate Racial Feature “Domineering”: Lose Sneak attack  and Stat bonus/penalties. Stats become +2 Dex +2 Int +2 Cha -2 Wis

PS: To Rhaegar. Eternal Blade is indeed a perfect idea. Also I like the idea of someone who resents their "Chosen One" status because its too much work.

PaleEnchantress

The Warmage class conversion is no longer loading.

Rhaegar14

Ooooh... and the Song of the White Raven feat, a couple Bard levels, the right White Raven maneuvers, and some Inspire Courage optimization would make for an extremely effective battlefield leader. I think I'll build him for cavalry.

Zaer, since I think I recall needing permission to use stuff from 3.5, here's some things I may want to use:

Divine Bard variant, Favored Enemy Barbarian variant (Unearthed Arcana)
Spirit Totem Barbarian variant (Complete Champion)
Song of the Heart feat (Eberron Campaign Setting, but has nothing to do with it)
Words of Creation feat, Ancestral Relic feat (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Inspirational Boost Bard spell (Spell Compendium)
Wild Cohort feat
Valorous Weapon enchantment (Unapproachable East, if memory serves)

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on April 21, 2013, 04:08:28 AM
Your avatar looks delicious. I may have to siege your castle sooner or latter.

Since I missed this somehow, thank you. It's the Prince of Frost, an evil Archfey of the Winter Court from a 4e Dragon Magazine "Court of Stars" article. Very interesting villain.

And you're certainly welcome to try. ;-)

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on April 23, 2013, 10:29:13 PM
The Warmage class conversion is no longer loading.

Yeah, GiantITP has been down for a couple of days now. I haven't heard why.

PaleEnchantress

I see where this is going. I have a Black Dragonblooded Shadar-Kar bard follower.

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on April 24, 2013, 02:48:00 AM
Ooooh... and the Song of the White Raven feat, a couple Bard levels, the right White Raven maneuvers, and some Inspire Courage optimization would make for an extremely effective battlefield leader. I think I'll build him for cavalry.

Zaer, since I think I recall needing permission to use stuff from 3.5, here's some things I may want to use:

Song of the Heart feat (Eberron Campaign Setting, but has nothing to do with it)
Wild Cohort feat

I'm already making use of Inspirational Boost. Havn't got an official okay on it but thought i'd mention it.  If ancestral Relic and Words of Creation are allowed I request a vile version. Dark speech doesn't have the bardic music options which are the creme of the crop there.

Since I missed this somehow, thank you. It's the Prince of Frost, an evil Archfey of the Winter Court from a 4e Dragon Magazine "Court of Stars" article. Very interesting villain.

And you're certainly welcome to try. ;-)

I Adore the Archfey and Cold. If I wasn't playing a female for once (Mostly to do more with Zaer.) my character would be nearly identical to that. As it stands shes pretty damn close. I think the Archfey from Changling: The Lost are some of the best done ones.

Also I feel almost like I've been set up to be the Big Bad. (A role I'm so very good at) Most other players are good, I'm very evil (A fey sort too). I'm a noble from one the most antagonistic and villainous elven nations. You multiply your followers by 100 I multiply them by 500 (I'm also fairly certain I have the highest leadership score anyway). Partnerships with other players have given me a vast amount of resources. Combine that with personal things, I'm fairly good at optimizing and my character both conceptually and mechanically has numerous flavorful villainous abilities.  (Cook People, A mindfuck of a cohort, many others...).

So I' having a lot of fun with it. I don't know if anyone is planning on diving hard into the PVP capabilities of the game. I'm not really, but I do plan on trying to extort tribute from others. Then I'll know who wants to actually try and pick a fight by denying me.

You would make a charming addition to my little garden...

Zaer Darkwail

Wild Cohort feat

Yes for both divine bard and favored enemy barbarian variant.
Yes for spirit totem barbarian (I know you aim for pounce with lion totem here).
Song of the heart feat is okay.
Words of Creation feat; no.
Inspirational boost bard spell; okay.
Wild cohort is okay.
Valorous weapon enchantment; no.

Anyways I now inspect the charsheets and give my input, game starts in friday.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, GiantITP has been down for a couple of days now. I haven't heard why.

DDoSed for unknown reasons by unknown parties, according to the Giant in a Kickstarter email.

Rhaegar14

It figures that this would happen the once in a blue moon I actually want CharOp advice for a game, rather than a thought exercise.

And aww, no WoC? Sad day. You never commented on Ancestral Relic, Zaer. Also, since Pale mentions DFI, are Dragonfire Inspiration (feat) and Forestlord Elves options? Both are from Dragon Magic.

@Pale: I've never understood why Ancestral Relic has an alignment restriction.

On Wild Cohort: if it wasn't obvious by the mention of cavalry, I was planning on using this feat to get a mount. If he ever gets Leadership, and I choose to get a more exotic mount as one of my cohorts or followers, can I retrain Wild Cohort?

I'll officially sign on with Miyeritar, since I would be alone in Keltormir. I'll try to put together a character sheet tonight.

Zaer Darkwail

Ancestral Relic as a feat is okay. Also you can retrain your wild cohort to leadership once you qualify for it (your mount takes cohort slot). Dragonfire inspiration is off (too strong dmg boost :P)  and forestlord elves are okay if you give a damn good background story for them exist.

Rhaegar14

Alright, last question, since you seem concerned with keeping Inspire Courage under control (and with good reason, given the nature of the game). For an ally to be affected by a Bardic Performance, they have to be able to perceive the performance. That's it.

Will you throw books at me if I combine oratory performances with this spell?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on April 24, 2013, 04:27:43 PM
Alright, last question, since you seem concerned with keeping Inspire Courage under control (and with good reason, given the nature of the game). For an ally to be affected by a Bardic Performance, they have to be able to perceive the performance. That's it.

Will you throw books at me if I combine oratory performances with this spell?

I thought bardic music had a specific range, not just "anyone who can hear it." though IIRC there are a few items that extend said range.

Zaer Darkwail

I think that spell more as wise thinking than slapped with a book :P. I allow the spell and yes, your followers/soldiers need hear your performance to benefit from it.

Although as Pale said, I think there was range limit for bardic music and if not, then indeed it's limited on listening range of the folks.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 24, 2013, 04:40:39 PM
I think that spell more as wise thinking than slapped with a book :P. I allow the spell and yes, your followers/soldiers need hear your performance to benefit from it.

Although as Pale said, I think there was range limit for bardic music and if not, then indeed it's limited on listening range of the folks.

I just checked and Only certain songs (mostly the offensive ones) seem to have hard range limits.  Since it's  a bard spell I would almost say thats what the spell was made for.

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, so inspire courage can be spread far and wide with that spell. So allowed :).

Rhaegar14

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=559230

The fluffy bits need some more work, but those are the essential statistics. A few additional questions that came up as I was working on it:

1) What is the procedure for teaching his horse tricks? I know how the rules work, but what are we starting with? Will I have to make checks for tricks the horse is starting the game knowing?

2) Does aforementioned horse gain feats at the same, augmented rate as player characters, or at the typical rate?

3) Can we take traits that require Pathfinder Society, given that no such society exists in this setting? Because they're some of the best ones at low levels.

4) Will we have to feed ourselves, or will our characters (generally) be provided for?

5) Curiosity; why Perception for Diamond Mind? Wouldn't Sense Motive, or better yet, Autohypnosis fit the fluff better?

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 24, 2013, 04:58:31 PM
Aye, so inspire courage can be spread far and wide with that spell. So allowed :).

And now that I think about it a bit, you know what else could spread it far and wide? Giant drums, trumpets, and horns hahaha.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on April 25, 2013, 06:56:37 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=559230

The fluffy bits need some more work, but those are the essential statistics. A few additional questions that came up as I was working on it:

1) What is the procedure for teaching his horse tricks? I know how the rules work, but what are we starting with? Will I have to make checks for tricks the horse is starting the game knowing?

2) Does aforementioned horse gain feats at the same, augmented rate as player characters, or at the typical rate?

3) Can we take traits that require Pathfinder Society, given that no such society exists in this setting? Because they're some of the best ones at low levels.

4) Will we have to feed ourselves, or will our characters (generally) be provided for?

5) Curiosity; why Perception for Diamond Mind? Wouldn't Sense Motive, or better yet, Autohypnosis fit the fluff better?

And now that I think about it a bit, you know what else could spread it far and wide? Giant drums, trumpets, and horns hahaha.

A few of these I can answer.

2: Followers and Cohorts do not get the accelerated feat acquirement. It's a PC only deal.  - As an Addendum what you should ask is if your mount can have the starting allowance of normal cohorts for gear. It would seem wrong to me for super powered cohorts like ours to have a great monetary allowance and you to be punished further for having a cohort that's already weaker in every way by also having to buy it's gear.  I mean just compare your mount to what Eisheth is riding. . .

4: As a noble you have a stronghold. Daily living costs like food are handles in that. Without leadership you'll have to pay your staff but you dont have to pay extra for food, just make sure you have a kitchen.

(Sort of) 3: I've already taken a trait (or Jerion has at least) that had a religious requirement by simply re-flavoring it. That god doesn't even exist in the setting so I didn't think twice about it. Zaer hasn't ruled officially so you may want to wait but considering how the trait requirements are mostly just window dressing I certifiably don't see any reason why not.