Bored? Why not some board games? (tabletop discussions)

Started by Rustic, July 24, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustic

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 25, 2018, 06:38:51 PM
Are you familiar with Betrayal at House on the Hill? It's a variant of that.

Basically, you have a team of up to 6 adventures...

Sounds cool. Yeah I think I played Betrayal at house of the hill, that's the one with those trackers arrow things that keep coming off the edge of the player board, right? Can't stand that.

Quote from: Naiah on July 26, 2018, 02:01:48 AM
I do also like Battlestar Galactica, Spartacus, Rum and Bones 2, Dark Souls and I am really looking forward to Village Attacks coming out. Tried that at the UKGE this year and it was really fun :D I liked the dice allocation mechanic.

Battlestar I played once. Not really into social deduction games... but that was borderline, since I'm a fan of the show (a BIG fan). I just remember being the Cylon... and I do NOT have a poker face. Everyone suspected me, lol. Also we got into a weird situation where everyone suspected everyone, so somehow most people ended up in the brig, and blocked, and no one could do anything... it was weird. Need to play it again.

I've always been a bit curious about rum and bones 2, but the price tag seemed a bit high for what it is. Also the combat seemed a bit strange. How do you find it?

What's Village Attacks?

Quote from: Imogen on July 26, 2018, 06:00:56 AM

My current favorites are Robo Rally, Citadels and Phase 10.

Oh Roborally I've always wanted to play. I love programmed games like that. Ever played Gravwell? It's got a bit of a similar idea, but also very different approach.

Quote from: Aiden on July 26, 2018, 11:59:11 PM
I have a few games I like.

Top favorites

Seven Wonders
Keyflower
Imperial Settlers

Current played favorites
Roll for the Galaxy
Clank!
Pandemic Legacy

Honorable mention
Seafall
Agricola
Viticulture

Nice! awesome choices!

I tried Clank! In! Space! and loved it. Not really into deck builders, but it worked there.

How far are you into Pandemic Legacy? What's your win/loss ratio? I'll put the rest into spoilers, but it's not really spoilers...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I just completed March last night. We have a 3/1 win/loss ratio, but we're realizing maybe we should lose one to get some funding, lol. Also one game we messed up a rule, and may have lost if we followed the rule...

Quote from: Tsenta on July 27, 2018, 12:22:51 AM
Not too social RL so not many opportunities to play board games, used to be really into an online game called BGO/Boardgameonline a few years back though.

There are a lot of options to play boardgames online. I think board game arena? Also Tabletopia is a big one now. Lots of digital versions of games. Plus a lot of games now work solo (like playing a videogame).

Quote from: Love And Submission on July 27, 2018, 06:23:08 PM
I've tried to learn Chess  on and off for five years but I can't wrap my head around it. The problem is making tactical decisions within a ruleset that seems arbitrary to me.  I can't understand moving in a way that is a disadvantageous  to my pieces even though the laws of the game call for it.

Yeah that can be the crux of deterministic games. That's why I love a bit of randomness in games too.

Quote from: Amelita on July 28, 2018, 07:32:10 AM
My top 3 are Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Settlers of Catan (most fun with cities and knights, and seafarers expansions), and Carcassonne!

I also love agricola, seven wonders and seven wondeds duel, keyflower, codenames, cards against humanity, and more xD

I tried Catan (finally) recently, and wasn't a big fan. Found it a bit like a harder version of Machi Korro, even if Catan came first.

Quote from: solkar on July 29, 2018, 08:06:00 AM
It's the classic Civilization game from the eighties, expanded to max 18 players and with a map from Spain to India. As for it's duration.... ah, 't is nothing compared to:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/campaign-north-africa

"Playing time with 10 players is listed at 1200 hours."

Haha yeah, that's the one I was thinking about. It was featured on Big Bang Theory.

Quote from: solkar on July 29, 2018, 08:06:00 AM
No but I may have a look at it, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll find people to play anything like that with, though.

Yeah that's my crux. I know my friend wants to play, but I don't want to dish out that kind of money without knowing if I'll like it or not. I may try to see if a boardgame cafe has a copy nearby.

Naiah

Quote from: Shale on July 30, 2018, 09:29:29 AM

Battlestar I played once. Not really into social deduction games... but that was borderline, since I'm a fan of the show (a BIG fan). I just remember being the Cylon... and I do NOT have a poker face. Everyone suspected me, lol. Also we got into a weird situation where everyone suspected everyone, so somehow most people ended up in the brig, and blocked, and no one could do anything... it was weird. Need to play it again.

I've always been a bit curious about rum and bones 2, but the price tag seemed a bit high for what it is. Also the combat seemed a bit strange. How do you find it?

What's Village Attacks?

Haha yea I would always suspect my other half, he is way too good at the game. Hell he even was the cylon once and never did anything to make it seem like he was and still won! :P

I really like Rum and Bones, you get to make your own little gang with whomever you want and I like the randomness of whether the kraken will join in and that you can try and destroy each others ships with your cannons.

Village Attacks: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimlordgames/village-attacks  Hopefully coming soon! I love the dice allocation mechanic :D

Mirrah

I play on Board Game Arena with friends sometimes, or CAH. A little off-E group started a simplified version of a D&D storytelling campaign, which has been going great.

My character's unlocked awesome cook-fu! As well as a tamed bridge troll and a giant gorilla to babysit the less reliable rogue in the party. And her weapon of choice is an iron skillet. XD
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?