News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Well, he is 64.   He started the Song of Ice and Fire series in 1991, published the first volume in 1996.  Since 1996, he's written four more books in the series.   There's a good chance he might pull a Robert Jordan.

Rogue

Unfortunately... it's also reported he said something about burning his notes when he died.

Oniya

He's probably got enough detailed notes that a ghost writer could pick it up - kinda like the Wheel of Time series.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rogue

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on July 13, 2013, 07:42:08 PM
Unfortunately... it's also reported he said something about burning his notes when he died.

Reiterating for Oni's sake. Not that they necessarily will but if it's in his will, it is a legally binding document.

Stella

Quote from: Oniya on July 13, 2013, 11:08:54 AM
'Last'?  What is this 'last' you speak of?  The thing from the North could be another whole series in itself!

*Goes pale*

jouzinka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk

Have to say, I really like the choice for Oberyn Martell. :)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Maeven

Great trailer.  Hurry up April!
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

jouzinka

Agreed! Can't wait to see it. Although it will only be 10 episodes and then a long wait. :(

Aiden

I hate that as I see that trailer, I know what will be at the start..and end of the season!

And I can't wait to be disappointed when I have to wait for season 5!

Eclectic

Is it true they are only doing half a book per season from here on out?  If so I'm concerned about how old the actors are all going to be by the time they get to the end.

TheGlyphstone

They'll still run out of seasons before the next book comes out...

jouzinka

I do think they will run out of seasons before the last book comes out, not necessarily the next - they still have this season plus three more seasons to do that.

And I think that so far they have been doing one book per season (as in, Storm of Swords is actually two books, so it's stretched across two seasons).

Eclectic

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on July 13, 2013, 07:42:08 PM

If I remember correctly that's actually part of his contract with HBO, that way if he dies they can keep doing the show.

Oniya

Quote from: Eclectic on January 27, 2014, 10:34:53 PM
If I remember correctly that's actually part of his contract with HBO, that way if he dies they can keep doing the show.

How could they keep doing the show if the notes are burned?  Unless they were just going to make it up whole-cloth.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Maeven

Quote from: Oniya on January 27, 2014, 10:43:14 PM
How could they keep doing the show if the notes are burned?  Unless they were just going to make it up whole-cloth.

Well. It is HBO. They have taken some liberties with the show. I am sure they wouldn't mind taking even more. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Aiden

Rumor has it, they "know" how the show will end in that case. I need to find the source of that.

Iniquitous

Martin has already told the two writers who adapt the books to television who ends up on the Iron Throne at the end of it all. It is in this interview with the three of them. Now, whether he told them everything - how it gets from where it's at now at the end of Dance with Dragons to the end of A Dream of Spring - is anyone's guess.

I would suspect he hasn't shown all his cards simply because of how he writes. He does not do linear writing - meaning he doesn't do an outline and follow that. He turns his muse loose and writes. If it feels right and fits, he keeps it. If it doesn't then he has to go back and rewrite. Which is why he takes so bloody long to write a book. Well, that and the fact he is working on other projects at the same time as writing Winds of Winter.

Last interview I read said Winds of Winter will most certainly not be out before 2015. One more year more or less :(

Addendum: You can read excerpts from Winds of Winter HERE!! Nothing like a teaser to wet the appetite and make you whine for more! LOL
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

jouzinka

Those appear to be the chapters that were edited out of Dance with Dragons - by the time the books were published, they had about hundred pages worth of material that didn't fit the book. It includes one chapter from Theon as well.

Iniquitous

He doesn't toss what was edited out of one book. The material is just shifted to the next book (or the book after the next).

Again, he doesn't write linear. He writes in POV and when he sits to write he doesn't make a list of which characters are going into the next book. He just writes till he is done and then decides who is going in. Those that don't make the cut get put aside and he resumes writing to fill the gaps.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Aiden

Aiden

Quote from: Maeven on January 27, 2014, 10:46:25 PM

Well. It is HBO. They have taken some liberties with the show. I am sure they wouldn't mind taking even more.

Some liberties are cool.

Some minor spoilers Regarding Jamie and Illyne Payne

Stuff that changes show/books
The actor, Wilko Johnson has terminal cancer and it is beleived he is not returning to the show. Sad news but it seems they swapped him with Bronn to spare with Jamie after he reutns to King's landing to train him with his weak hand.

Remiel

I feel for the actor, but it's not like Ser Ilyn had that much of a role anyway in the show.  Also, Bronn is just so many kinds of badass.

Aiden

I agree, I am hoping the banter between both guys is as awesome as I am imagining it.

jouzinka

Oh! Nice find, Aiden. :-)

Well, Illyn Payne, having no tongue and being illiterate had, obviously, all kinds of advantages for this particular feat than Bronn, but oh well...

jouzinka