News:

Main Menu

Roguelikes

Started by Inkidu, November 29, 2013, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

This is a thread about Roguelikes.

I want to get into the genre, so if anyone knows about some good ones for beginners or ones with interesting or deep stories I'd be most grateful.

Free is of course always thriftily appreciated. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jefepato

I've been playing Risk of Rain on and off.  It's a platformer, which isn't typical of roguelikes, but it is otherwise pretty roguelike-ish.

And I suck at it.  Or rather, it's a hard game.  But I have not gotten the trick of not sucking at it.  Fun, though.

Sel Nar

Rogue Legacy. Side-scrolling Roguelike that has you playing as the child of the previous character when you will eventually bite the dust.

Love And Submission

I don't dig roguelikes that much but I'm tempted to try out TOME. It's a Roguelike with sort of 2d graphics which  is interesting.

I wish I could get into DF or DOA but I just can't.  Mans got to know his limitations (as a gamer.)

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Inkidu

Quote from: DTW on November 30, 2013, 09:17:12 PM
I don't dig roguelikes that much but I'm tempted to try out TOME. It's a Roguelike with sort of 2d graphics which  is interesting.

I wish I could get into DF or DOA but I just can't.  Mans got to know his limitations (as a gamer.)
I know DF is Dwarf Fortress, but what is DOA?

Kythia

Adom.  Get it, play it, quest for roguelikes complete

Inkidu

Quote from: Kythia on November 30, 2013, 09:50:21 PM
Adom.  Get it, play it, quest for roguelikes complete
I've got ADOM, but I can't get into it all that much. With a big overmap instead of just a dungeon the guy really needs to do a better job of providing hints on where to go. Especially seeing as it's easy to starve just going from point A to B.

Love And Submission

Quote from: Inkidu on November 30, 2013, 09:28:18 PM
I know DF is Dwarf Fortress, but what is DOA?

It's a typo. I had a brainfart. I meant DDA which is Dark Days Ahead.

It's an Open Source Zombie Survival Roguelike.

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/pages/3/display

I found out about it through One F Jef who does great  Lets Plays of Rogue Likes. He's done TOME , DDA , Dwarf Fortress , Prospector , Caves of Qud  and  Liberal Crime Squad. He's interesting in that he does true Iron Man Lps which means that when his character dies , they stay dead which is incredibly rare for an Lper.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Inkidu

I got FTL: Faster than Light. It's a ship combat roguelike. :)

The only issue I've got is the developers are real bastards. "EVERY DECISION YOU MAKE WILL BE WRONG!" Seriously. Though I suppose you're supposed to trust every bit of lore. They said the guys were usually friendly and I sided with the fugitive.

Oniya

Lambdarogue is a good free one - very intricate quest-based storyline about an underground bastion of humanity.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Thanks, Oniya. I'll look into it.

Anyway, I wish most wouldn't hide behind complex controls, or at least offered a guide-sheet (most don't, the good ones do).

Having to figure out how to control a game is not learning how to play the game. :P

EDIT: OMG! FTL is so much fun. I just one a battle with a ship only to have my whole party die of asphyxiation just because I couldn't get the O2 generator repaired in time. @u@

So much fun!

cptBacon

If you have an Android phone, Pixel Dungeon is really good, free, and doesn't require any special access to your phone's features:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon&hl=en

It's surprisingly well done for a free phone game.

As far as PC goes, I've always enjoyed NetHack.
A super detailed introduction to me:
O/O

My current stories:
The Art of Seduction | Grey Skies
Along for the Ride | She Let Herself Go

Jefepato

Quote from: Inkidu on December 02, 2013, 10:28:34 AM
EDIT: OMG! FTL is so much fun. I just one a battle with a ship only to have my whole party die of asphyxiation just because I couldn't get the O2 generator repaired in time. @u@

So much fun!

And this is what it means to play a roguelike.

You get your ass kicked like the fist of an angry deity and it's like, GIVE ME MORE SUFFERING.

Unrelated note, Dungeons of Dredmore is a pretty fun intro-roguelike, but it does cost money.

Inkidu

Quote from: Jefepato on December 03, 2013, 08:38:08 AM
And this is what it means to play a roguelike.

You get your ass kicked like the fist of an angry deity and it's like, GIVE ME MORE SUFFERING.

Unrelated note, Dungeons of Dredmore is a pretty fun intro-roguelike, but it does cost money.
My only problem is even for a roguelike FTL requires way too much good luck. :\ Still, fun though.

consortium11

I was going to recommend FTL as a good way in to the roguelike genre. Brilliantly fun little game.

Oniya

The original Rogue (with the Amulet of Yendor) is out there as freeware.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on December 03, 2013, 09:46:42 AM
The original Rogue (with the Amulet of Yendor) is out there as freeware.
How serious is it?

I'm actually surprised that as hardcore as roguelikes are they're not various serious in tone. You think they'd be great for grim-dark.

Oniya

The original Rogue was not terribly serious.  The whole thing was done in the 'extended character' graphics set, with the monsters represented by letters of the alphabet (from 'Aquataurs' that could rust your armor, to 'Zombies').  Scrolls were music notes as I remember, and potions were an inverted 'fat' exclamation point.  Gold was an asterisk.  You had two ways of identifying things:  using the item, or finding an identify scroll (which you naturally had to identify.) 

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on December 03, 2013, 10:23:49 AM
The original Rogue was not terribly serious.  The whole thing was done in the 'extended character' graphics set, with the monsters represented by letters of the alphabet (from 'Aquataurs' that could rust your armor, to 'Zombies').  Scrolls were music notes as I remember, and potions were an inverted 'fat' exclamation point.  Gold was an asterisk.  You had two ways of identifying things:  using the item, or finding an identify scroll (which you naturally had to identify.)
No I know they use characters. That's not what I mean.

Nethack for example isn't very serious. You can start out as tourist with a credit card and a Hawaiian shirt. The whole tone doesn't give off that serious vibe.

Oniya

If you don't pick a name for your character, you get the name 'Rodney'.  Now spell it backwards, and look at the name of the amulet again.

The Unholy Potato

I'm a little bit of a late arrival, but thank you to CptBacon, DTW, and Oniya for sharing the magic of roguelikes.

Inkidu

I actually seem to be doing well (knock on wood) in FTL. I'm only in the third sector but I finally got my first achievement (and it goes toward unlocking a new ship). I have a drone control module, and two crew worth of boarding/repelling party (dedicated).

The name by the way is the Iron Ronin.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. The only problem with FTL is that unlike other roguelikes were you can run away and redouble, running away in FTL just saps resources and makes you weaker. plus it takes forever.

Still, unlocked two ships (Zolton and Engi). I think I want to keep rocking the starter though, I'm trying to get the B layout for it.

Also, I refuse to play on easy. I can't stand the fact that it tells what difficulty you unlocked the achievements on.

EDIT EDIT: I guess I'm just not lucky enough to play FTL. Seriously, I'm not talking about hits and misses. If you hit a solar flare area in the before blast doors just write off the game. Also, why are there people better than my people at fighting?

Seeing as they only get better by doing you can't get your peoples' combat up without repelling boarders or boarding, which is one decently expensive facility.

Aleph

I have spent years playing Nethack. I think it's a testimony to the ability of such a simple game to suck you in that I've occassionally ditched my Steam games to play NH every so often. It also has some great lore surrounding it, apart from the general this god, that unique weapon, etc. There's discovering the hard way that being so encumbered you fall down the stairs every level is a bad thing when you are wielding a manticore corpse (petrification)

"You stumble down the stairs!
You fall!
You land on your weapon!
You are turned to stone! <insert end-of-game routine here>"