News:

Main Menu

Roguelikes

Started by Inkidu, November 29, 2013, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Caeli on December 16, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
I've really been getting into Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.  I tried out the (unofficial) Android port last night and, while it's not as easy to use as on the desktop (where you can use keyboard shortcuts), after the initial learning curve of figuring out where things are, it's got the same kind of addictive, "I'm going to win this time!" feeling.

My phone screen was too small to play comfortably, though, so I might try it on my tablet and see how that is.
Yeah I like crawl too, but I'm trying to learn Dwarf Fortress again. See if I can get some good fortresses for adventure mode.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Love And Submission

I really want to Try Rim World. But I have a lot on my plate video game wise right now.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Inkidu

Quote from: DTW on December 17, 2013, 01:35:18 AM
I really want to Try Rim World. But I have a lot on my plate video game wise right now.
I'm leery of crowd-funding pre-alpha stuff. Alpha is just to volatile. Still, it looks really neat.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

scribus1000

I can recommend two for you guys, Spelunky and Rogue Survivor, those two are free and have kept me occupied for a bit. They basically kicked my ass to the moon and back, but maybe I just suck at them.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Oniya

Spelunky was kind of fun, even in just the sense of 'get all the stuff you can'.  I never got too 'deep', but then again, I never had a sense that there was some 'end goal' I had to achieve.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blythe

I'm trying out a roguelike called Tales of Maj'Eyal at the moment. Hopefully it's good.

EDIT: It's...not terrible. Kind of meh, really. It's doesn't really grab me and make me want to play in any real way.

scribus1000

Some screenshots from some sessions of Rogue Survivor:

Neil Vance

Run away from the zombies with horns! General rule of thumb for dealing with any zombie, but it goes double for them.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

If a biker gang catches you up close, even running won't help. I chose to fight back, died, came back as a zombie...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

...and met a squad of national guardsmen. With assault rifles.

Ginger Black

Ventured into the hospital as my game started there, then I met the above man. You can imagine how that went. I knew he was there to begin with though, the reason why I chose to meet him anyway was so that I...

Jason Myers

Could play as him. NPCs are automatically hostile towards him, so there's not much he can do once outside the hospital. I went out and was promptly shot by a national guardsman.

There is one really long playthrough I did once recently, that was my best one yet. She survived 19 days, the longest record I've had. The longer the game goes, the crazier things can get:

Monica Rockwell--the record holder

And not enough ammo to fight them all.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Inkidu

Quote from: Blythe on January 15, 2014, 05:35:33 PM
I'm trying out a roguelike called Tales of Maj'Eyal at the moment. Hopefully it's good.

EDIT: It's...not terrible. Kind of meh, really. It's doesn't really grab me and make me want to play in any real way.
That's what I thought. I'm finding Roguelikes are either hit or miss, no wiggle room.

alextaylor

Rimworld's really good, but not quite worth the price tag (yet). I've figured out some layouts which almost always lets you kill all raiders, so it's boring past that point where you're getting and selling off tons of weapons and have all the resources you ever need.

I think FTL is a lot less random than you've described. It takes a long time to spot which bits are random and what can be changed, but skill really does go a long way.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is probably as stable and strategic as roguelikes get.

Try IVAN too. Plenty of fun chaotic stuff, especially if you're the masochistic DF player type.

ADOM was great for its time (when I was like in elementary school) but it's aged poorly these days. Won't even play well on a laptop, unlike say Dungeon Crawl. Biskup is doing an epic remake of it though.

Also thanks a lot for the Pixel Dungeon recommendation! Most roguelikes are heavily adapted from PC, which means they rely on tons of buttons to move and totally annoying to play on a touchphone. Pixel Dungeon has a straightforward UI, and yet enough complexity to be a full roguelike. Better graphics than 99% of roguelikes too!
O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: alextaylor on January 19, 2014, 09:12:15 AMI think FTL is a lot less random than you've described. It takes a long time to spot which bits are random and what can be changed, but skill really does go a long way.
Honestly at the end of the day I think the gratuitous randomness of FTL is just the icing. The real problem I have is the final boss. Not that he's particularly hard mind you, given certain factors. He's literally out of left field and runs counter to the mechanics and principles of the game. Yes, I could beat him, but you've already got to know how to beat him to beat him, which is not good game design ever.

QuoteDungeon Crawl Stone Soup is probably as stable and strategic as roguelikes get.
Yeah, it is, as much as it has those things that stick a monkey wrench in an otherwise smooth experience (i.e. Sigmund around a blind corner).

QuoteTry IVAN too. Plenty of fun chaotic stuff, especially if you're the masochistic DF player type.
Looked it up, out of development.

QuoteADOM was great for its time (when I was like in elementary school) but it's aged poorly these days. Won't even play well on a laptop, unlike say Dungeon Crawl. Biskup is doing an epic remake of it though.
I've got ADOM. I'm pretty sure no one knows about the original anymore. :)
Biskup has usurped it.

Jefepato

I've beaten Risk of Rain a few times, but damn if I didn't have to sink 98 hours into the game to do it.  Thinking of picking up Dwarf Fortress again -- I used to have a pretty good handle on the basics of DF, but it's been a while (and a new version) since then.  (And I never did figure out water pumps.)

I've been hearing good things about Tales of Maj'Eyal but I don't know if I have the energy to get into it.  Dungeons of Dredmor might be more my speed for the moment.

Inkidu

Quote from: Jefepato on January 20, 2014, 03:10:01 PM
I've beaten Risk of Rain a few times, but damn if I didn't have to sink 98 hours into the game to do it.  Thinking of picking up Dwarf Fortress again -- I used to have a pretty good handle on the basics of DF, but it's been a while (and a new version) since then.  (And I never did figure out water pumps.)

I've been hearing good things about Tales of Maj'Eyal but I don't know if I have the energy to get into it.  Dungeons of Dredmor might be more my speed for the moment.
I found TOME a little eh...

Blythe

Going to try out Infra Arcana and Elona. If someone tries Infra Arcana first, let me know how it is? Definitely trying out Elona, though.

Edit: Accidentally edited this post rather than making a new post, so I tried to put back what I remembered having here. Arrrgh. >_<

alextaylor

Quote from: Inkidu on January 20, 2014, 08:47:29 AM
Looked it up, out of development.

IVAN has been out of development for years now, but really fun in its present stage, even though you can't win it. The kind of game where you can accidentally turn your limbs into bananas. Or survive stepping on a mine but die from a chain reaction of exploding wands and potions.
O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: alextaylor on January 21, 2014, 07:23:10 AM
IVAN has been out of development for years now, but really fun in its present stage, even though you can't win it. The kind of game where you can accidentally turn your limbs into bananas. Or survive stepping on a mine but die from a chain reaction of exploding wands and potions.
I don't like games that aren't complete or aren't at least being supported in an incomplete state.

Blythe

Haven't gotten to try Infra Arcana yet, but I have tried out Elona. It's a goofy fantasy game set in a standard jrpg anime fantasy world. Kind of cutesy, not necessarily in a bad way. The graphics are better than a typical roguelike...but....read on for my reservations about the game.

It's...hmmm. Hard to describe. It's fun, yeah, but to me, it's not really a roguelike, even though it's billed as one. It lacks permadeath, for one, and wizards are damnably hard to play because the game is geared against them (in most playthroughs, spellbook drops/getting them in shops is rare, which makes your character kind of useless). It comes off more like an off-the-wall and difficult to play japanese rpg than anything. I do enjoy it (its hilarious, and you can die by the craziest things), but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a roguelike. More like a "roguelike-lite." It's got the randomized dungeon/enemy element, and the controls do remind me of a proper roguelike, but it's lacking that fundamental permadeath feature, and some of the races and classes don't seem playable. To me, a roguelike should have each race and each class as something that can be succeeded with, even if it's hard, and wizards in Elona are doomed to fail. But yeah, some of these things don't seem playable. Don't believe me?

You can be a snail in Elona. Or a farmer. Or a tourist.

At any rate, I'd recommend Elona for someone wanting the tone of a roguelike but who doesn't actually want to play a roguelike.

Caeli

The Humble Bundle Weekly Sale this week is focusing on roguelikes!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Nadir

Quote from: Caeli on January 23, 2014, 04:04:12 PM
The Humble Bundle Weekly Sale this week is focusing on roguelikes!

aaaagh, you ninja! *grin*

alextaylor

I bought that roguelike bundle in like the first 5 hours after it came out. I'm actually quite a bit disappointed by it.

Binding of Isaac seems a bit shallow. Not random items and stuff you'd expect from roguelikes. It gives you the awesome disorientation feel you'd expect from most roguelikes. But not the procedurally generated stories. Being action based just stretches the game time longer and makes it more frustrating. I don't mind dying in most roguelikes, because death is avoidable, but in Binding of Isaac, I get frustrated because it's my fault.

Hack Slash Loot seems a bit too generic. I haven't played it too far because it leaves me confused and bored from the start. I'll give it another shot later.

Dungeons of Dredmor is not bad in terms of gameplay. But I'm quite annoyed at the lack of a theme. It also falls into the trap of having way too much junk. It's actively trying to be unintuitive. There's no beginner classes to start learning the game with. I copied some builds from the wiki but the lack of a class system to learn the game is still a bit annoying. I might actually start enjoying it after a few hours, after learning what everything does.

The Pit is quite boring IMO. I was playing it for a few hours and just... stopped. I didn't even die yet, I was bored out of my mind. There seems to be nothing to look forward to. I get more fun and randomness from Doom Roguelike.

So, my recommendation: skip the bundle. Not even worth the $6 IMO. It's only been a day and I'm bored with most of them. If I hadn't actually pay for them, I'd stop playing and go back to Crawl and Spelunky. Spend that $6 on Unreal World or FTL instead.
O/O

Tyrhung

Haha, and here I thought I could come this late into the thread and say something clever!  Good job, you guys... I thought I knew a lot about Roguelikes, but after reading, I see I knew very little.

Anyone ever play Don't Starve?  It's not free, and perhaps it's not a 'true' roguelike, but it adds a whole 'nother take on... well... not starving.  Dying is incredibly bad, too.

Inkidu

Booted up FTL again... and then I remember why I stopped playing it.

First jump on normal, I hit:

A Zoltan ship with an ion blaster, a missile, and an anti-ship drone.

Luck-Based Mission the Game!

Blythe

Quote from: Tyrhung on February 01, 2014, 09:14:42 PM
Anyone ever play Don't Starve?  It's not free, and perhaps it's not a 'true' roguelike, but it adds a whole 'nother take on... well... not starving.  Dying is incredibly bad, too.

I'm a big fan of that game and have been since I got it on Steam. It's got that survival/luck/permadeath factor going for it that makes it very much a roguelike, although I would say that it's the crafting in the game that makes it feel like it might not be a "true" roguelike. However, I'd argue that the presence of some of the items you find (such as the various Things, like the Ring Thing.) are left for players to figure out and puts it back in "roguelike" territory.

They're due to release an update for it soon called Reign of Giants, which I'm excited about!

NotoriusBEN

I liked Dungeons of Dredmore. Yea, its probably not in the serious vein that the thread OP wants, but that's kinda the charm with roguelikes. You got all this death and the only thing you can do is laugh it off and try again. What's hilarious about Dungeons of Dregmore is that many times, your abilities can backfire and even kill you if you are not careful. I've stolen my own soul as a warlock, and I've casted too much fire as a pyromancer that I've burned myself up in the ensuing conflagration.

I didn't see anyone mention it, but Legend of Grimrock might scratch that serious roguelike itch. You are a party of 4 people and you gotta get out of the Grimrock Dungeons. Lots of inventory management.

Oniya

If you steal your own soul - where does it go?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blythe

I knew there was a topic where someone had mentioned FTL. Figured I'd post here rather than make a separate topic.

I bought that game recently...and I don't know if I love it a lot or utterly loathe it. On the one hand, there's a bit of strategizing you can do, but on the other hand, damn....the luck factor is just impossible. If luck isn't on your side, you're not winning at FTL, no matter how good you are at strategy. T_T