News:

Main Menu

An interesting read.

Started by Miss Kathinja, July 06, 2013, 01:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Kathinja

http://latinafatale.com/2011/07/21/how-to-talk-to-little-girls/

Didn't know where else to post this, but it's a good enough read that I felt it should be posted -somewhere-.

Oniya

I think she should have put Ms. Bloom's byline at the top.  Nearly gave me the wrong impression.

As a mother raising a little girl (and the little Oni has given the McDonald's people the what-for when they gave her the stupid 'Figit' instead of the Skylanders toy she asked for), I'd also recommend the blog 'Pigtail Pals and Ballcap Buddies'

And, if you're familiar with Shawn Michaels, I did a send-up based on his ring music:

I think I'm fun.
I know I'm rugged.
I've got the looks,
That drive the kids wild
My pieces move, you really move 'em.
I can play games.
Keep 'em oc-cu-pied.

I'm just a childrens' toy,
Childrens' toy
I'm not your boy toy,
Boy toy
Children's toy
I'm not your boy toy,
Boy toy

I make 'em think.
I'm quite creative.
Their brains get strong,
Whenever I'm in play.
They make me walk,
They make me talk,
I make 'em feel,
Like they're awesome inside.

Childrens' toy
I'm not your boy toy,
Boy toy
Children's toy
I'm not your boy toy,
Boy toy.

Eat your heart out, Kroc
Hands off the merchandise!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

I found the blog piece interesting for as far as it went.  It has a sort of "Oh wow!  Look at me and how wonderful I am.  I talked to a little girl about reading!"  I'm sure the article wouldn't have been written if the little girl wasn't a reader and really was interested in playing house or school instead of doctor or lawyer.

The only thing I got out of it was that not every little girl is the same and you need to look for what they like and where their interests lie rather than assuming.  Just don't overlook the fact that some little girls just want to be who and what they are rather than what you think they should be.

Oniya

Having read more of Ms. Bloom's writing, she was trying to draw attention to the fact that many people will first comment on a little girl's physical appearance, rather than what they might be interested in.  At a time when 81% of ten year olds are afraid of getting fat, and women's (and men's) body images are skewed to unrealistic proportions by the media (the 'ideal' portrayed in the media is possessed naturally by less than 5% of women.  One in 10 people diagnosed with an eating disorder is male), it's important to realize that we're dealing with impressionable minds when we talk to both little girls and little boys.

(Source)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17