Rerolling Dice

Started by EroticFantasyAuthor, October 17, 2013, 01:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroticFantasyAuthor

Is it possible to have the dice roller autommatically reroll dice that come up a certain number?

For example, rerolling all 1s and 2s

Wajin

If I'm understanding you right, you only want ones and twos to come up... so why not change the dice to a d2
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Lord Mayerling

I think a d4 would work better in this case, and either set the bot to add 2 to each die, or do it manually if it's only a few dice (to prevent your base average from moving from 3.5 to 5.5, only to 4.5).

Kythia

From the description it seems like setting "Extra" to "-2" and telling it to keep the highest x (so if you want 6d6 rerolling ones and twos, then extra = -2, keep = 6) should do it, but I can't seem to get it to work. 

Not sure if its not working properly or I'm not doing it properly.

Vekseid

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on October 17, 2013, 06:06:13 AM
I think a d4 would work better in this case, and either set the bot to add 2 to each die, or do it manually if it's only a few dice (to prevent your base average from moving from 3.5 to 5.5, only to 4.5).

Yes (though a d4's average is 2.5, so it is the same). The intent is that rolling a die x smaller and adding x to each die is effectively the same, though some people have been ornery about it.

Oniya

Or it could be a situation where (as in WoD and Shadowrun) the dice that come up at the target number are re-rolled as a potential 'bonus'.  Not entirely sure how you'd automate that, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on October 17, 2013, 07:38:50 AM
Or it could be a situation where (as in WoD and Shadowrun) the dice that come up at the target number are re-rolled as a potential 'bonus'.  Not entirely sure how you'd automate that, though.

That can be done straight through the "Extra" function. So on a d10 to reroll 10s then just set "extra" to 10

Ebb

Quote from: Kythia on October 17, 2013, 07:08:53 AM
From the description it seems like setting "Extra" to "-2" and telling it to keep the highest x (so if you want 6d6 rerolling ones and twos, then extra = -2, keep = 6) should do it, but I can't seem to get it to work. 

Not sure if its not working properly or I'm not doing it properly.

I don't think you're doing it wrong. A negative value for Extra doesn't seem to be working as advertised.

For the "reroll 1's and 2's" thing I think the best bet is do roll d4+2.

For something like "4d6, keep the highest 3, reroll 1's and 2's", which is somewhat common, you'd do:
4d4, keep the highest 3, then add 2 to each. (Or 6 to the total, of course.)

Or on the Elliquiy die roller:
Dice 4
Sides 4
Keep 3
Mod 2

EroticFantasyAuthor

Sorry for any confusion.

I'm referring to rerolling certain numbers if the come up.

For example: rolling a d6 and rerolling any 1s or 2s that come up

Oniya

If you're trying to simply get results between 3 and 6 inclusive, your best bet is going to be d4+2 (on each die), like Veks posted.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17