The Carrion Crown, Chapter 1: The Haunting of Harrowstone

Started by Jeramiahh, April 03, 2011, 02:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Going through the books, Lilial's face began to project a profound sense of distaste.  Eventually she spoke again, when she was near both Celeste and Kendra. "These sound like such...wonderful individuals.  And trying to release the Tyrant himself?  Are they mad?  Wait, of course they are...they even mutilate those who figure out anything about them."

Closing the book, the elf shook her head and glanced upward at Celeste and speaking firmly. "No offense meant, Ms. Celeste, but most of these necromancers...well, it's no wonder the common folk are so intolerant.  Though I think they should think a bit before they make hasty decisions.  But...out of curiosity, how are you doing, Ms. Kendra?"

Jeramiahh

Kendra had been quiet; aside from delivering them a lunch of cold-cut beef sandwiches (extra rare, for Celeste), she'd stayed out of their way, during their research, working on brewing a potion for a customer. "Me? I'm fine... just fine. Nothing wrong here," she says, with a slight, nervous smile. A DC 13 Sense Motive check reveals that there is, indeed, something bothering her.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Lilial blinked and frowned at Kendra's nervous tone, and asked quietly, obviously concerned, and her voice almost coaxing. "Are you certain?  I mean...you seem nervous.  I hope it isn't something we did...perhaps there is something that we could help with?"

((Sense Motive: 25.  Diplomacy: 26))

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

The dhampir gives an odd sort of smile, "just because most necromancers are twisted and evil beings bending warped magics to their whims does not make all who dally with the undead such.  Even amongst father's kind, none would seek His release."  Looking to Kendra she quirks her brow slightly, her lips tightening into a small moue, allowing Lilial to speak.

[Sense Motive 8 + 7 = 15]
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Jeramiahh

Kendra blushes, as the women seem to catch onto her nervousness. "Oh, oh... it's... it's nothing," she lies. "Some teenagers, apparently, decided to vandalize the old Harrowstone memorial, covered it in blood. I didn't see it firsthand, myself, but some who did said it looked quite gruesome."
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

With that, Celeste's eyebrow raises higher.  "And when was this?"  She considers a moment and pinches the bridge of her nose, "and...was this actually investigated, or simply hearsay?  Was it animal blood or sentient?  Given what we're talking about right now..."  She let the words trail off as she sighs.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Lilial opened her mouth to speak, but Celeste spoke first and the elf closed her mouth, frowning.  She tilted her head, considering things for the moment, glancing at the books for a moment, but she decided not to do anything.  They needed more information first.

Jeramiahh

Kendra shakes her head. "I'm not sure of the details. It apparently happened last night, some cruel prank, probably by the Muricar boys, they're always causing trouble. I know the sheriff was overseeing the cleanup, and reassuring people that it was just a cruel prank, and they didn't say anyone had been killed, so it was probably animal blood. I hope so," she says, sounding a little worried, again.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

The dhampir sighs once more, pinching the bridge of her nose once more, "it has already been cleaned then?  No chance then to determine if it might have been tied to, say...the Whispering Way and their designs upon the area, sacrificing a teen for their own purposes rather than teens sacrificing a chicken in amusement?"  She shakes her head and sighs again.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

"You can go look," Kendra replies. "I didn't see it myself, so I'm not certain, but people were talking as if it had already been cleaned up."

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

"Definitely not the best situation, I think..." Lilial spoke softly, her eyes worried.  She considered for a moment and then looked at Kendra, asking. "Well.  Do you happen to know if there are any foresters in town?  Someone who might know if there were others skulking about in the hinterlands?  I doubt that there would be much of a lead there, but it is possible.  Additionally, perhaps it would be best if one of us were to keep watch through the nights...I just am nervous about the recent happenings."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste nods slightly, "give me a moment to get dressed and we can go."  With that, she turns and returns to her room, coming out a few moments later wearing her leathers, whip and, after looking outside, a rather wide brimmed hat with decorative feathers.  It might not be too bright at the moment, outside, but it would at least help shade her eyes to a more comfortable level.

"Shall we go?  I should like to investigate this...prank before they completely clean it."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Kendra nods, and steps away, at the same time Celeste does, carrying a small bag with her, tucked under one arm. "I'm ready, if the two of you are."

Once they arrive at the statue, they'll see the large, 25-foot tall, humanoid statue, looming over the river. One of the local guardsmen, a young fellow, barely old enough to shave, is standing at the base of it, with a stiff brush, and a bucket of sudsy water. The whole base of the statue has been scrubbed down, and nothing remains of the blood... except for a large letter 'V', that, despite his scrubbing, stubbornly refuses to be removed.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

"Certainly.  I doubt I'll be much use, but I think I would like to at least see things for myself." Lilial said, standing and adding. "Let me get changed as well...I'll be but a few minutes."

The elf quickly moved upstairs, and it only took her a hair over a minute before she returned, settling the falchion across her back before nodding to them, smiling slightly. "I believe I'm ready...after you, my lady's?"

When they reached the statue, though, she frowned slightly, then asked softly. "Ms. Kendra?  That doesn't look natural...might you be able to check that letter for magic?  Or you as well, Ms. Celeste.  I'm afraid my talents are...lacking in such areas."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste glances around the area, shaking her head slightly.  Of course, it was already nearly clean.  And what little remained had apparently been scrubbed for some time.  Still...at least something remained to investigate.  She smiles carefully to the young guardsman and nods towards the statue, "would you mind if I had a look?"

Assuming the guard allows her nearer to the statue, she would use detect magic to see if there is any lingering magical trace, as well as taking several deep breaths as she tries to identify the blood.  If she can't get any good scent of it, she would turn to ask Lilial what she thought of things and try to scratch a flake of it off with her fingernail while the guard turned to look at Lilial, for a 'taste test' later.

Diplomacy: 13 + 6 = 19 (trying to get closer to the statue)
Perception: 16 + 4 = 20 (identifying blood by scent)
Bluff: 3 + 2 = 5 (trying to distract guard if unable to get scent)
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The guard looks up in surprise, and gestures. "Sure, go ahead. Not much left to see, just this one spot, won't come out," he says, scrubbing at it anew. There is a slight, lingering aura of magic, but it's very faint, and clearly fading, just a lingering trace. (Know: Arcana, DC 15 reveals hints of the Necromancy school.) Careful smelling reveals only the scent of soapy water and old stone,, though she does, eventually, catch the metallic flavor of blood in the smell, though not strongly enough to identify its origin. It certainly seems to be imbued deep into the stone, and it seems unlikely that any amount of scrubbing will remove it, now, short of carving out the stone.

Unfortunately, before she can get a scraping, the guard, already a bit wierded out by her smelling the stone, asks her, politely, to move along, so he can keep working.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

She gives a polite smile as she is asked to move on.  "It is magically imbued into the stone...I do not think you will get it out with a simple brush."  She shrugs a small amount, and moves over to Kendra and Lilial.  "Shall we continue our little walk?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Frowning slightly at the news that it was magically imbued into the stone, Lilial nodded to Celeste, continuing walking a moment more before asking. "Well...what did you find out, then, Ms. Celeste?  I'm afraid that I'm not precisely the best person to look for clues in such a way.  Mind, I am...fairly good at talking to people and finding things out on that end, but beside that..."

Jeramiahh

The guard shrugs. "I'll get it, eventually. Just need to get into it and give it a good scrub," he says, optimistically.

"Yes, I'm curious as to what you discovered, dear," Kendra says, with a smile. "Though, let's head back to my house... I don't like discussing such... unusual things, out in the open."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste nods slightly and turns to walk back to the house without a word, contemplating things as she goes.  There were other things that need to be done as well, but her curiosity was following this Whispering Way now, and would not let up on the mystery.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

"But of course, Ms. Kendra...I can wait for a time." The elf said with slight smile, adding as well. "I doubt any other issues are going to come up first, at least."

But she followed back to the house, looking around alertly, just in case something else did come up.  It wouldn't do to relax her vigilance, not given what they had learned thus far.

Jeramiahh

The short trip back to the house is uneventful, and, once there, Kendra begins brewing up a pot of tea, for the three of them. "So, tell us, what did you discover?" she asks of Celeste.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste shrugs slightly, cocking her hip slightly as she leans against one of the counters and folding her arms.  "I could wish that we had been there earlier.  There was a lingering trace of magic imbued into the stone, but I was unable to discern the intent or form of the magic.  As for the blood...all I could smell was soap, stone and sweaty guard, only the hint of the old, dried, thoroughly scrubbed blood.  Not enough to determine what kind."  She gave a odd quirk of a smile, "but with the lingering magic, I sincerely doubt it was some teenagers pulling a prank."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

The elf nodded slowly, frowning slightly, and then paused. "Well, I think your surmise to be accurate.  Unless, of course, these pranksters are skilled with magic themselves...which I somehow doubt.  But it is possible.  Now, as to other things...should we visit the temple of Pharasma?  I am...concerned, to be perfectly honest.  Has the graveyard been consecrated?  If not, do you think we might be able to get the Professor's grave consecrated, on the chance that this Whispering Way is about?  I'm sorry, but...I would not want to see him turned into a servant of such...people."

Jeramiahh

"True," Kendra says. "I haven't heard anything, but one of those scoundrels might have learned a few magic tricks. I wouldn't have put it past my father to teach them, either." Kendra sets the pot on the stove, to boil. "I... I'm not sure, about the graveyard, to be honest. I suspect it has been, but I also believe that the consecration needs regular renewal, doesn't it? And, of course, that would be horrific."