News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andol

Hey Guys... Its Friday... I finally here!!!!! :D More Jojoness

TotesRider

Watched JoJo, Goblin Slayer and Gridman.

Jojo: absolutely stellar. Cant wait to see more (and to see my anime only friends reactions to some of the weirder shit later on)

Gridman: pretty fun Tokusatsu based anime. Nothing too stellar aside from the animation but the mystery is intriguing.

Goblin slayer: I'll be real... I wasn't really a fan of it. Kinda felt like a wanna be berserk with its shock value but forgot that build up is an important component of that

I do wanna watch Zombie Land Saga at some point. I saw the opening scene and God damn. I dont know much about it but a friend mentioned that it's kind of a fun take on zombies.

Andol

I found the animation on the new Jojo to be super crisp... I mean it was like damn...

Sessha

Quote from: TotesRider on October 06, 2018, 07:07:33 PM
Watched Goblin Slayer
Goblin slayer: I'll be real... I wasn't really a fan of it. Kinda felt like a wanna be berserk with its shock value but forgot that build up is an important component of that

Where as I actually enjoyed it. The fake out was a bit of a twist in my opinion. As an adaption so far it's been pretty faithful. The sudden side-ways twist midway through the episode is just that, a sideways twist. I liked the manga and so far I'm liking the anime.

Quote from: Andol on October 05, 2018, 03:21:22 PM
Hey Guys... Its Friday... I finally here!!!!! :D More Jojoness

As for Jojo's...I'm not really a fan of it myself personally. For me I just find that the series has a bit too much testosterone for me. I don't mind shows dedicated to the male audience, but  for me Jojo's is just too much. That said it's only my opinion on the matter. If you enjoy it, enjoy it. I'll do the same with Goblin slayer.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

TotesRider

yeah it's got alot of testosterone (atleast until part 6), but it's super gay testosterone so it's way better.

that said, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEW AGE OF "HOW THE FUCK DOES KING CRIMSON WORK?!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2D7ohWos0

Sessha

Quote from: TotesRider on October 07, 2018, 07:47:32 PM
yeah it's got alot of testosterone (atleast until part 6), but it's super gay testosterone so it's way better.

Yeah and that's also part of the major turn off part for me as well. As I said I'm not much one for the series with how testosterone driven gayness is in it that just doesn't quite appeal to me.

TotesRider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052OeEJ4uDg

SKullface Bookseller Honda San's first episode was hilarious

Sain

Quote from: TotesRider on October 09, 2018, 07:26:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052OeEJ4uDg

SKullface Bookseller Honda San's first episode was hilarious

Was that the episode? Is there more?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TotesRider

Quote from: Sain on October 10, 2018, 10:47:59 AM
Was that the episode? Is there more?
Yeah it's about eleven minutes long. I watched it on Crunchyroll but i've seen some youtube channels upload the whole episode. (Not sure what E's policy on that shizz is so you're probably on your own therE)

Sain

You can't link it to me. That would be naughty.

I found it though :-)

Andol

Quote from: TotesRider on October 07, 2018, 07:47:32 PM

that said, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEW AGE OF "HOW THE FUCK DOES KING CRIMSON WORK?!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2D7ohWos0

Part 5 turns up the super gay testosterone that part 4 started to turn up and which Part 7 turns up more... XD... To be honest I am just waiting for the cutest stand in Jojo's to show up, but yeah I am so waiting for them to have show how King Crimson works... XD

Quote from: Sessha on October 08, 2018, 02:10:37 AM
Yeah and that's also part of the major turn off part for me as well. As I said I'm not much one for the series with how testosterone driven gayness is in it that just doesn't quite appeal to me.

Eh... I always saw it as old school super bro-ness... but you do you :D

TotesRider

Quote from: Andol on October 10, 2018, 11:25:06 AM
Part 5 turns up the super gay testosterone that part 4 started to turn up. XD... To be honest I am just waiting for the cutest stand in Jojo's to show up, but yeah I am so waiting for them to have show how King Crimson works... XD
I'm more curious about the 'Localized Stand Names'.
Like okay...
Golden Experience > Golden Wind
A'ight
Sticky Fingers > Zipper man
...K...

The fuck do they do for Purple Haze, Notorious BIG, METALLICA

Nebuchadnezzar

Thoughts on Goblin Slayer? You guys recommend watching/reading it?

Andol

Quote from: TotesRider on October 10, 2018, 11:27:11 AM
I'm more curious about the 'Localized Stand Names'.
Like okay...
Golden Experience > Golden Wind
A'ight
Sticky Fingers > Zipper man
...K...

The fuck do they do for Purple Haze, Notorious BIG, METALLICA

They just continue to trash stand names sadly...

Skynet

Quote from: Nebuchadnezzar on October 13, 2018, 11:24:21 AM
Thoughts on Goblin Slayer? You guys recommend watching/reading it?

I read the first few chapters of the manga. Apparently the anime will be faithful to the original content.

Honestly, anything that Goblin Slayer does the Witcher does better. Goblin Slayer's claim to fame are its violent rape scenes, and not in the "women gets brainwashed/orgasmed to the point she likes it" in typical Hentai Logic. I feel that the manga does this more for shock value than a deep examination of the victims, as there are still some typical "funny/sexy nudity" moments like a Male Gaze butt shot of a woman waking up in her home to a bright sunny day that is jarring with the rest of the themes.

Some Plot Spoilerz and Witcher Comparisons
Goblin Slayer tries to subvert traditional RPG tropes and the reliance on inexperienced for-hire adventurers as the only means of defending civilization with a dash of violent rape scenes and their aftermath. But the subversions fall flat on their face very hard for multiple reasons.

The basic concept is that goblins (and by extent other monsters) are a creation of evil gods/demons/etc leftover from an old war, and as such are not really living beings with a civilization so much as rapist war machines who have a hatred of language and cannot be tamed or reasoned with. They raid farms and lightly-defended (usually poor) areas of civilization to slaughter, loot, and abduct women to turn into breeding chambers as this is the only way they can make more of themselves.

Oddly enough, most of civilization does not regard goblins as a huge threat, even though they are growing in numbers and causing more devastation over time. Even the adventurer's guild keeps the ultimate fates of captured women a secret and merely sends legions of poorly-trained and inexperienced initiates to save money (even when many of these same initiates inevitably get raped and murdered themselves). Experienced adventurers only seem to care for money and hire on to defend rich merchants who already have the means to protect themselves from monsters, and the eponymous protagonist is considered an oddity for being just about the only adventurer who views them as a legitimate threat rather than pointless level 1 fodder. Traditional governmental soldiers and armies seem to either not exist or be incompetent to the point that all actual security is privatized.

It's at this point my suspension of disbelief begins to fray. The fear of foreign "others" seeking to kidnap and rape a populace's women has been one of the strongest motivators to violence. And even if they cannot be as well-funded or skilled as adventuring guilds, alternatives for those who cannot gain their services will arise. In the Witcher the Knights of the Flaming Rose did much the same job as monster-hunting Witchers did without expecting payment from rescued villagers, but they were funded by the crown and due to that were often used against rebellions and as traditional law enforcement. Contrast this to the witchers, who were utterly mercenary yet were independent organizations that mostly remained neutral in politics. In both cases knights and witchers were both highly-trained and a cut above common militias given the danger of their occupations, and did not make a habit of giving rural teenagers cheap arms and sending them off into caves.

So in short, Goblin Slayer does not really do anything for me other series exploring the concept have not already done better. And I tend to be wary of series which use rape as the primary means of selling "dark fantasy."

TotesRider

Eh I wasn't a fan of Goblin Slayer honestly. Just felt like a wannabe Berserk minus the nuance involved.

Though I do enjoy the memes of Goblin Slayerman being essentially the fantasy version of Doom Guy.
~~~~
As for what i've been watching
Golden Wind Episode 2 was pretty rad. They finally give a way clearer explanation of how Golden Experience works.

Also... the fucking Ending theme is Freak'n You by Jodeci. One of the most Baby-makin' love makin' RnB songs ever

Also Episode 2 of SSSS Gridman was fantastic, and I plan on catching up with the first two episodes of Zombieland Saga this week

TotesRider

Alright watched the first two episodes of Zombieland Saga... and it is exactly not what the advertising was saying it would be... and that is actually pretty awesome. I don't wanna go into spoiler territory but atleast watch the first episode.

Also this dude is awesome and I love him

Mirrah

Finished watching Magus Bride. I liked it, even though the ending was what I thought it would be.

Started Goblin Slayer. It's interesting so far. I think it's something best watched without making comparisons with anything else.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Sain

Quote from: Mirrah on October 17, 2018, 02:03:19 PM
Finished watching Magus Bride. I liked it, even though the ending was what I thought it would be.

Started Goblin Slayer. It's interesting so far. I think it's something best watched without making comparisons with anything else.

I was so mad with Magus Bride ending :( It did not hold up to the standard of beautiful world that the body of the series set up. Felt waaay too rushed. Still absolutely loved most of the the show though.

Mirrah

Quote from: Sain on October 17, 2018, 03:02:21 PM
I was so mad with Magus Bride ending :( It did not hold up to the standard of beautiful world that the body of the series set up. Felt waaay too rushed. Still absolutely loved most of the the show though.

Agreed. I felt that they could have done so much more, but... oh well. :-(

I've been really enjoying That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. ;D

Sessha

Quote from: Mirrah on October 23, 2018, 03:40:32 AM
I've been really enjoying That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. ;D

Same here. I'm really waiting for him to get his human form. That's going to be interesting indeed to see.

Mirrah

Quote from: Sessha on October 23, 2018, 06:49:19 AM
Same here. I'm really waiting for him to get his human form. That's going to be interesting indeed to see.

I couldn't sit tight, so I went and read the manga. >.>;

I'm looking forward to... all of the things. XD

Sessha

Quote from: Mirrah on October 23, 2018, 12:05:14 PM
I couldn't sit tight, so I went and read the manga. >.>;

I'm looking forward to... all of the things. XD

Yeah I decided to go read the manga as well. So no biggie here.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Skynet on October 13, 2018, 03:37:04 PM
Goblin Slayer's claim to fame are its violent rape scenes

I can't really speak to what people have been saying about the series since the anime was announced, but when I first got into the series via the manga, it was pitched to me as 'a D&D-esque fantasy version of The Punisher'.  You have this fantastical setting with wizards and monsters, super-powered heroes and demon lords, and then you have a protagonist who is not one of the big heroes of the setting, but instead spends his time running around and killing what are effectively the street-level mooks of the setting using whatever the most efficient means at his disposal are, doing so not by choice, but instead because, after suffering intense personal tragedy at their hands, he now feels driven to do so.  The rape scenes, by contrast, are mostly just used to establish the inhuman cruelty and innately evil nature of said street-level mooks, so that the audience doesn't feel any guilt as Goblin Slayer takes them out by the dozens.  They happen fairly often early on, and then fall by the wayside once they've served their purpose.

At the point the manga is currently at, I'd say the main draw of the series is in the way that Goblin Slayer is slowly regaining his humanity, making friends and learning to open up to and care about other people.  And it's also in watching him and the friends he's made go on adventures and kill goblins, of course.

Sessha

Quote from: Kunoichi on October 27, 2018, 04:00:18 AM
I can't really speak to what people have been saying about the series since the anime was announced, but when I first got into the series via the manga, it was pitched to me as 'a D&D-esque fantasy version of The Punisher'.  You have this fantastical setting with wizards and monsters, super-powered heroes and demon lords, and then you have a protagonist who is not one of the big heroes of the setting, but instead spends his time running around and killing what are effectively the street-level mooks of the setting using whatever the most efficient means at his disposal are, doing so not by choice, but instead because, after suffering intense personal tragedy at their hands, he now feels driven to do so.  The rape scenes, by contrast, are mostly just used to establish the inhuman cruelty and innately evil nature of said street-level mooks, so that the audience doesn't feel any guilt as Goblin Slayer takes them out by the dozens.  They happen fairly often early on, and then fall by the wayside once they've served their purpose.

At the point the manga is currently at, I'd say the main draw of the series is in the way that Goblin Slayer is slowly regaining his humanity, making friends and learning to open up to and care about other people.  And it's also in watching him and the friends he's made go on adventures and kill goblins, of course.

That actually sounds like a very adapt description of the manga and show. No where is this more clearly seen then during the goblin attack on the cow girl's farm. Or him doing a stand in for something else that happens in te manga. Which by the way is my favorite chapter of it so far.