Fundraisers...Does anyone know how to?

Started by Obsidian Isolabella, November 15, 2010, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian Isolabella

Okay, so I am going to try and put together a fundraiser of some sort for a friend of mine because he is on the verge of losing everything. He is a college student who can't get a job, he is currently sick because he has barely been eating. Which is due to not being able to get a job and having no money to buy his own food. If he doesn't get some kind of help from somewhere he could end up homeless, starving and I just can't let that happen to him.

So does anyone on E have any knowledge of how to get a fundraiser started? Or any of the process of going about doing such a thing?

Any kind of feedback, I would really appreciate!

Thanks!

Oniya

Have you pointed him towards the nearest church?  Around this time last year, Mr. Oniya and I found an outreach program that way, even though neither of us is a church-goer.  He might even be able to volunteer with them, which would be good to pad the resume.  (My mother-in-law does this when she's able, and they even send her home with the stuff they don't have room for.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Obsidian Isolabella

Sorry about this late response, but yes, I have done that. I looked up the churches around him for him, and told him a couple of other things that might help him out in his situation. But at the same time, I just want to do something for him to get him some money, ya know? He is in a horrible position right now, and I know his parents won't help him out either because his mother is the only one around now and she is quite selfish. One of those kinds of moms that will do what she want and when she wants to do it. So I am thinking about making up a bake sale or something to get him some money.

Oniya

Depending on the closeness of your local community, you may have trouble raising for an individual.  It's not true for all places - I live in a place that's practically Mayberry, and see donation jars up when someone's house burns down or has an accident.  People tend to donate for 'causes' more often, sad but true.  If you want to do a bake sale or garage sale yourself, you might be able to advertise in community papers (the kind they give out at the grocery store or bank).  You might also talk to the grocery store or church about renting a table out front to hold the bake sale.

You might also go door to door to your neighbors looking for stuff they want to get rid of that you could sell for cash for him.  Whatever you do (bake or garage), talk to people and explain the situation.  They might donate time, money, or stuff to sell.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Obsidian Isolabella

Yeah, it is really sad that most won't help for individuals and everything, but that is the world we live in.

And I got some of those ideas from my Aunt who does this kind of stuff too. She said that might be something I want to try as well and see if I can. I am just hoping that someone will be able to help me do this for him because I will feel  horrible if I can't get him some kind of help.