Transcendence of the Suffering

Started by Selana, March 30, 2012, 10:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selana

QuoteRuthoelm Keep, 218 AD

The ruling class, humans, reported seeing an odd group of people outside of their keep. They were covered in dirt and grime, robes in tatters. Some of them were bruised and bloody from what appeared to be attacks from the serpents and feral dragons. Yet, there was just something not right about those groups of humans. Something off. The humans took them in, and they soon discovered something about that small, beaten-up pack--they were magical.

In a world of danger outside of any city, the Mages were an exiled group of humans until their discovery in Ruthoelm Keep, one of the major capitals in the human-populated continent of Oughom. In 218 AD, their discovery led to a peaceful pact between the Mages and the humans to live alongside each other. The Mages could never be nobility like the humans, but they were content to live and work for them, using their powers for goodness. Those elite Mages became wizards, working as researchers and personal assistants and war weapons to King Ceum.

The Mage population grew immensely--they expanded to other cities and villages, risking the wild dangers Oughom had to offer. They totaled thirty-five percent of the population, even.

Until...

1121 AD: The Capitol City of Aldshye

A small section of mages, sick of belonging to the servitude of the higher class of humans, broke off and formed their own section of magic--Dark Magic. These would be known as Warlocks, using demons as their assistants and Chaos as their magic. These group of dark Mages terrified the human aristocrats because of sudden terrorist attacks on the cities made by the Warlocks--the Lords and Ladies of all the kingdoms gathered and discussed one plan. All mages were to be slaughtered.

The human knights and footsoldiers murdered many innocent mages. However, the mages were oblivious to the law which was passed by the humans. Houses were burned; women and children had been maimed. And yet they never fought back.

1342 AD: All of Oughom

Mages were forced to hide their magical powers to survive the human attacks. They lived among the humans, their powers forced to be hidden. Warlocks were even more prevalent--many had turned to the Chaos to become stronger. Their numbers were building quickly.

1345 AD: All of Oughom

Warlocks and Mages combined with each other, and a terrible, destructive war swept across the nation. Many Mages protested this event: could they ever have peace? But the Warlocks got what they wanted: the humans were no longer the ruling class. To make matters worse, the Warlocks turned against the Mages.

1367 AD: Now

The Warlocks are now the ruling class of people. Humans and mages are the commoners and slaves. The entire continent is broken between human rebellion forces wanting to obliterate the Mages and Warlocks, Mage rebellion forces wanting to obliterate the humans and Warlocks, Mage and human forces wanting to obliterate the Warlocks, and then your group.

In a desire to obtain peace, the only way to bring peace to Oughom is to combine all three: the Mages, the Warlocks, and the humans.

The starting setting? Tiaes Village, a small village in the outskirts of Oughom. The ruler there is an old, inept Warlock, very much past his prime; he is not a cruel Warlock and wants peace. And then there are other beings: the Sirens and mermaids (mermaids had since evolved from living only underwater to being able to morph land-legs at will) from the Yaghet continent, the fairies from the tropical islands far south of Oughom, vampires and werewolves in the wilds of Oughom, and even the succubus, a demon exiled from the underworld.

A new war is approaching: its purpose, to transcend to peace.

Hi guys! I'm not approved at the moment, so bear with me. If there are ANY QUESTIONS, please feel free to ask! I know it might be a little vague, and yes, it's a lot.  :-) Some parts may not be clear, so do ask! This is a fantasy setting, so that includes dragons, trolls, goblins... whatever. These are the species you can play as:

Mage
Warlock
Human
Siren
Mermaid
Succubus
Incubus
Fairy
Vampires (Please, I beg of you, keep these limited: vampires seem to be a fan-favorite to RP as, but this is focused on human, warlocks, and mages mostly!)
Werewolf

sexhaver

The question that springs to mind for me is: What are we trying to do, specifically? We want to bring about peace, sure, but how? Are we going to negotiate an international treaty? Or are we planning to secure peace by killing all who oppose us?

It reminds me a bit of X-men, with the warlocks being Magneto's guys. Humans are all like "Mastermold! What are you doing? We programmed you to protect humanity from mages!", and Mastermold is all like, "That is illogical. Mages are humans. Therefore, humans must be protected from themselves. All human leaders shall be replaced with artificial duplicates under my control".

I'd like to play a warlock, convinced of the benevolent applications of Chaos magic. The 'demons' that we're accused of working with? They're an advanced transdimensional species whose magic can make life better for all of humanity, but given our past actions are no longer willing to invest in developing the human world as long as it remains in a state of constant war and autocratic governance. The warlocks currently in power are instead talking to rogue extremist factions within this 'demon' world, selling them the rights to our natural resources in exchange for Chaos magic to be used only as weapons. But they don't give us the technological secrets behind Chaos magic - they only sell us magical effects, the finished product, so we have to keep going back to them and buying more. How do I stop our warlock rulers from continuing this disastrous course for humanity? To weaken their command structure too greatly would invite an uprising by humans and mages that would lead to senseless slaughter and several giant leaps backward in progress as Chaos magic is banned by an antiquated military elite fighting to escape obsolescence. If they succeed in overthrowing the warlocks, it may take another 1000 years to recover all of the lost knowledge, and the mages will once again suffer under Apartheid.

Selana

QuoteThe question that springs to mind for me is: What are we trying to do, specifically? We want to bring about peace, sure, but how? Are we going to negotiate an international treaty? Or are we planning to secure peace by killing all who oppose us?

Good question! My apologies for leaving out such a crucial detail. I was so wrapped up in the history. Basically, to bring peace, it'll have to be by wiping out the Warlocks in charge and the other forces which want one specific faction in charge instead of equality.

I love the ideas you have, but there would most likely be measures taken to prevent segregation in the future after the Warlocks are overthrown. Now, there will always be prejudice, but not in a government sense.

sexhaver

Quoteto bring peace, it'll have to be by wiping out the Warlocks in charge and the other forces which want one specific faction in charge instead of equality.
So we're planning to kill all who oppose us, then... >_>

I guess that's generally how people operated in the 14th century, come to think of it...

...and in modern times too, in some parts of the world...

Come to think of it, proliferation of nuclear weapons may have been the biggest factor in creating world peace between developed nations in modern times, as scary and counterintuitive as that sounds (the other potential cause of world peace is corporate globalization - you decide which is scarier). We just have to keep them out of the hands of radicals. Chaos magic can be our nukes in this case.

Selana

Right, right. The only thing is, Oughom is a human continent, so in a way this entire fiasco is a civil war. Where innocent humans and Mages live, there are Warlocks, so it'll be interesting to see how all of our characters round them up to avoid the killing of those people. You have a very keen view on government. I'm impressed.  :-)