Ann Coulter lives under a bridge...

Started by VenusEnvy, November 12, 2012, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenusEnvy

Is it just me or is Ann Coulter a troll? I mean the things this woman says are ludicrous. I kind of want to believe that no one is that stupid and she is just being paid to say and do all this dumb shit just to see what people do...I mean come on the woman is against women suffrage! She apparently wants it repelled! Is there anyone dumber on the planet?

"It's a very dangerous weapon to know what you're doing." -William Murderface from Dethklok

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places.  If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale.  Understanding others - the other elements, and the other nations - will help you become whole." - Uncle Iroh

My Introduction -  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157127.msg7203032#msg7203032

My Ons and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157596.msg7228923#msg7228923

Oniya

Do you have a source on Coulter wanting the 19th Amendment repealed?  I'll admit, I think the woman's potentially certifiable, but that's a new one - I'd like to share it with some of my non-E friends.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

As repelling as Ann Coulter may be to some of us she does have a right to her opinions.

You also have a right to yours but expressing them in a more rational and respectful tone with references cited will get you more favorable attention.

VenusEnvy

Oh don't get me wrong I have no problem with her expressing her opinions. But I personally think the woman is extreme. As for the 19th amendment I believe I read someone quote her in an article so potentially taken out of context I admit. I just thinking if maybe because of her extreme beliefs and claims that perhaps she gets paid for just how crazy she can get.
"It's a very dangerous weapon to know what you're doing." -William Murderface from Dethklok

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places.  If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale.  Understanding others - the other elements, and the other nations - will help you become whole." - Uncle Iroh

My Introduction -  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157127.msg7203032#msg7203032

My Ons and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157596.msg7228923#msg7228923

Vekseid

http://observer.com/2007/10/coulter-culture/

Quote from: Ann Coulter
If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women.

It also makes the point, it is kind of embarrassing, the Democratic Party ought to be hanging its head in shame, that it has so much difficulty getting men to vote for it. I mean, you do see it’s the party of women and 'We’ll pay for health care and tuition and day care — and here, what else can we give you, soccer moms?'

She does speak mainly to incite, it's why I simply don't bother ever referencing her. The best thing to do with trolls is simply chuckle at their antics and move on with reality.

VenusEnvy

Quote from: Oniya on November 12, 2012, 09:19:36 AM
Do you have a source on Coulter wanting the 19th Amendment repealed?  I'll admit, I think the woman's potentially certifiable, but that's a new one - I'd like to share it with some of my non-E friends.

Earlier this week, Ann Coulter told The New York Observer that she believes women shouldn’t have the right to vote:

If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about another Democrat president. It’s kind of a pipe dream, it’s a personal fantasy of mine, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women.

It also makes the point, it is kind of embarrassing, the Democratic Party ought to be hanging its head in shame, that it has so much difficulty getting men to vote for it. I mean, you do see it’s the party of women and “We’ll pay for health care and tuition and day care — and here, what else can we give you, soccer moms?�?

This isn't where i found it but it sounds just about what I read.

VenusEnvy

Quote from: Vekseid on November 12, 2012, 09:29:06 AM
http://observer.com/2007/10/coulter-culture/

She does speak mainly to incite, it's why I simply don't bother ever referencing her. The best thing to do with trolls is simply chuckle at their antics and move on with reality.

Ah! Beat me to it, thanks though

Oniya

I was able to find a video of her actually saying it in front of a group of college students.  I hope that it does incite - I hope it incites all of the women who saw it to get out there and get active in their local and national politics.  At this point, I think Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh may be the greatest friends the Democrats have out there.  O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 12, 2012, 09:49:45 AM
I was able to find a video of her actually saying it in front of a group of college students.  I hope that it does incite - I hope it incites all of the women who saw it to get out there and get active in their local and national politics.  At this point, I think Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh may be the greatest friends the Democrats have out there.  O_o

It wouldn't be the first time she's said something like that. Of course I can't think of any group of any size she HASN'T insulted at some point or another.

Serephino

I watched a few interviews with her when her last book came out.  I think it was called 'Demonic' or something like that.  She basically thinks Democrats are savages.  Yeah, she's a troll.  Does she even realize that if women didn't get to vote, she wouldn't be able to spew her opinions and make money off it either?  She doesn't want anyone to pay attention to women, so I say we should give her what she wants and not give her the time of day.

Lux12

Dear Gods. I do not get these anti-feminist conservative women who feast upon it's fruits and revel in the results of it's victories whilst decrying women's rights. It's a form of hypocrisy I cannot fathom.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lux12 on November 12, 2012, 12:14:14 PM
Dear Gods. I do not get these anti-feminist conservative women who feast upon it's fruits and revel in the results of it's victories whilst decrying women's rights. It's a form of hypocrisy I cannot fathom.

You aren't her audience. Well you are ONE of them. The one she relies upon to put her name up by screaming in outrage, to her there is no BAD publicity. She knows if any rational discourse is put out that she can rely on the reactionary Neo-conservatives to come down on those nasty liberals who are picking on her for telling the truth.

Best tactic is to shrug and move on. Make her hire a publicist to get attention.

Skynet

Ann Coulter's a troll.

Unfortunately the GOP not only fails to see this, they treat her as a fellow "true conservative" and support the ridiculous statements she makes by repeatedly granting her a voice on Fox News.

It's like a message board troll fucking up the place and causing division, only for the administrator to come out and say that they agree with her and grant her moderator status.

Lux12

I some times wonder if that entire party is trolling, unfortunately, their seems to empirical data that suggests otherwise.However, part of this is political posturing, so some ridiculous remarks or espoused ideologies are to be expected to be voiced.

Shjade

Quote from: Serephino on November 12, 2012, 11:04:35 AM
Does she even realize that if women didn't get to vote, she wouldn't be able to spew her opinions and make money off it either?
I don't follow your logic. You don't have to be eligible to vote to be on TV.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

I think the logic goes:

If women don't get to vote, men make all the decisions
If men make all the decisions, women's opinions won't matter
If women's opinions don't matter, any given woman spewing opinions won't matter.
If women spewing opinions don't matter, then no one will give a woman money to spew opinions.

Ann Coulter is a woman spewing opinions.

Ergo, if women don't get to vote, no one will give Ann Coulter money to spew opinions.

(There's probably a flaw in there somewhere - probably along the lines of a Lysistrata fallacy.)

Serephino

What Oniya said, pretty much.  She's a woman talking about politics.  If women aren't allowed in politics she can't do that anymore.  She'd have to shut up and keep her place in the kitchen, like she, and a disturbing number of Republicans, seems to think should happen.  Basically, she's a walking hypocrite.

Trieste

Women have influenced politics loooooong before being allowed the vote. She's a reasonably attractive woman talking about politics - there are men bound to listen to her.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on November 12, 2012, 07:22:54 PM
What Oniya said, pretty much.  She's a woman talking about politics.  If women aren't allowed in politics she can't do that anymore.  She'd have to shut up and keep her place in the kitchen, like she, and a disturbing number of Republicans, seems to think should happen.  Basically, she's a walking hypocrite.

I pretty much stopped listening to her when she violated client confidentiality back in the Clinton/Lewinsky Paula Jones days.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on November 12, 2012, 07:39:37 PM
Women have influenced politics loooooong before being allowed the vote. She's a reasonably attractive woman talking about politics - there are men bound to listen to her.

Yeah, that's where it falls down.  There's also the 'You, to the couch!' factor.

LunarSage

I must admit that before this thread, I had never heard this woman's name before.  Granted we don't have cable TV, but still...

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

You are not missing out on anything.  Trust me.  :P

Valerian

I only know her name because I work for a book distributor.

Her titles aren't selling like they used to, either, if that's any consolation.  They still hit the major bestseller lists, but those are based on the books ordered, not sold.  They don't take into account the numbers of copies that are later returned by stores and distributors, and in the case of her titles those returns are generally very high.  That's often true of the more extreme writers, no matter their political affiliations, but more so for her, I think, at least with her more recent titles.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

LunarSage

Well I for one think straight, white males should no longer have any rights.  We've oppressed the world long enough and need to be punished! 

Trieste

Kinda not funny.

Quote from: Valerian on November 13, 2012, 01:08:04 PM
I only know her name because I work for a book distributor.

Her titles aren't selling like they used to, either, if that's any consolation.  They still hit the major bestseller lists, but those are based on the books ordered, not sold.  They don't take into account the numbers of copies that are later returned by stores and distributors, and in the case of her titles those returns are generally very high.  That's often true of the more extreme writers, no matter their political affiliations, but more so for her, I think, at least with her more recent titles.

This doesn't surprise me. I am familiar with Coulter because she pops up in my feeds from time to time. I originally got to know the name from someone who was obsessed with her, idolized her. I found it very strange.

LunarSage

Quote from: Trieste on November 13, 2012, 01:17:25 PM
Kinda not funny.

Why?  It's the same basic attitude that this woman seems to have.  Was my sarcasm not obvious?   ???

Trieste

Because first of all there are echoes of "This country hates the straight white man" rants that have popped up from time to time, which makes it come across as the "ha ha only serious" kind of 'joking'. Second of all, Coulter's expressed views are pretty reprehensible, and emulating them even in jest is really not a very funny joke.

Lux12

I've adopted the stance that she's not even a conservative, she's just mentally ill and in desperate need of therapy and or medication lately. Her views are just insane.

LunarSage

Quote from: Trieste on November 13, 2012, 01:30:50 PM
Because first of all there are echoes of "This country hates the straight white man" rants that have popped up from time to time, which makes it come across as the "ha ha only serious" kind of 'joking'. Second of all, Coulter's expressed views are pretty reprehensible, and emulating them even in jest is really not a very funny joke.

I disagree entirely... but for the sake of civility I will refrain from further comment.

Trieste

Well, to be clear, I'm not sure that's what you intended, sure, but intent and interpretation are two different things.

Shjade

Quote from: Trieste on November 12, 2012, 07:39:37 PM

This.

Also, have you listened to some of the people who get on the air to talk politics? If freaking Joe the Plumber can be a thing, I'm sure women would still be on the air to voice their opinions regardless of whether or not they themselves could vote.
◕/◕'s

Lux12

Quote from: Shjade on November 13, 2012, 05:57:56 PM
This.

Also, have you listened to some of the people who get on the air to talk politics? If freaking Joe the Plumber can be a thing, I'm sure women would still be on the air to voice their opinions regardless of whether or not they themselves could vote.

Indeed. The problem with this country is that we listen to and worship celebrities as if they are divine authority. We can and will make a celebrity of anyone, and then people will listen to them.

gaggedLouise

As for revoking the 19th amendment (women's right to vote), going the easy way here and quoting the Wikipedia article on AC. Wiki can be inaccurate for sure but at least these statements are well cited - look up the article for the inline citations at the section Political activities and commentary:

Quote from: WikipediaShe mostly serves as a political pundit, sometimes creating controversy ranging from rowdy uprisings at some of the colleges where she speaks to protracted discussions in the media. Time magazine's John Cloud once observed that Coulter "likes to shock reporters by wondering aloud whether America might be better off if women lost the right to vote.". This was in reference to her statement that "it would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. In fact, in every presidential election since 1950—except Goldwater in '64—the Republican would have won, if only the men had voted.". Similarly, in an October 2007 interview with the New York Observer, Coulter said:

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women.
It also makes the point, it is kind of embarrassing, the Democratic Party ought to be hanging its head in shame, that it has so much difficulty getting men to vote for it. I mean, you do see it's the party of women and 'We'll pay for health care and tuition and day care—and here, what else can we give you, soccer moms?' "

The soccer moms/democrats quote has been around already in this thread, I can see that, but it seems to make the point that she casts certain large groups of society and their voting muscle as parasitical in themselves: they are voting and acting the way they do because they want to be cranky whiners and get pampered by the state.

For the record, her arguments are being borrowed outside of the U.S. too. She's making this trick quick stopper argument that if citizens, activists, artists or members of a profession are advancing a new issue, or pitching a reform of something, trying to get the question into the wider political arena - a pitched issue of which they can't, as individuals here and now, cover the entire cost for getting it through into law, or for keeping it going once it has become law, then they are hypocrite morons (as soon as they want to get it to mainstream attention and galvanize a movement around those issues) and represent only a parasite interest. While the lobbying power of big business behind the scenes or tv channels doing "news" with an agenda wouldn't represent any kind of partisan interest, see, they have the money to advance their issues, it's their money (um, though it might just as likely be loaned at a friendly bank or the fruit of rogue business practises) so they are in the right! Now, that one's been widely copied and I'd say she's a direct source for it. You could see it as a move of self-interest too: that kind of idea of what the rules of the game should look like helps punditism of course, it makes the talk pundits and PR agents prime players.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Chris Brady

Quote from: Trieste on November 13, 2012, 01:30:50 PM

Bold: It does, but that's only because it's the current fad.  It's always 'cool' to be against 'The Man', a fictional monolithic entity out to repress whatever rights you (the general you, not anyone specific) believe are being repressed.

Or rather, it's the newest group to be part of 'The Man'.  Corporations, the Government (and I'm talking ANY country's gov), you're local grocery chain, whatever cultural, racial, religious minority you believe is in 'power', whatever.

Because humans always need a 'Them' to focus on for whatever it is.  Right now it's minorities vs. 'The White Man', it'll change when the next cultural focus someone with a microphone (AKA Internet) decides to spend their time persecuting.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Lux12

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 14, 2012, 01:22:15 AM
Bold: It does, but that's only because it's the current fad.  It's always 'cool' to be against 'The Man', a fictional monolithic entity out to repress whatever rights you (the general you, not anyone specific) believe are being repressed.

Or rather, it's the newest group to be part of 'The Man'.  Corporations, the Government (and I'm talking ANY country's gov), you're local grocery chain, whatever cultural, racial, religious minority you believe is in 'power', whatever.

Because humans always need a 'Them' to focus on for whatever it is.  Right now it's minorities vs. 'The White Man', it'll change when the next cultural focus someone with a microphone (AKA Internet) decides to spend their time persecuting.

The oppressed seek to rise above their status and those in power continue to try and oppress those considered the other to maintain their privilege. It's a story as old as civilization itself. The man is no fiction, but rather a word used to refer to the collective institutions, norms, attitudes, and individuals used to hold a group deemed the other by society down, and these are very real.

Trieste

Quote from: Lux12 on November 14, 2012, 01:25:21 AM
The oppressed seek to rise above their status and those in power continue to try and oppress those considered the other to maintain their privilege. It's a story as old as civilization itself. The man is no fiction, but rather a word used to refer to the collective institutions, norms, attitudes, and individuals used to hold a group deemed the other by society down, and these are very real.

That's a good way of putting it. Loss of privilege does not equal oppression. *shrug*

LunarSage

Society doesn't hate the straight white man... it hates the rich straight white man.  What I take exception to is the current popular generalizing belief that just by being a straight, white male, success and money will rain down upon you.  That's absolute bullshit and I resent being lumped in with the 1% because of my gender, ethnicity and sexuality.  I actually have more in common with many minorities based on nothing but the fact that I'm poor rather than racial differences.  To many however, that doesn't matter.  I'm a straight, white man... I'm apparently part of the problem.  Nevermind that I'm living month to month with no ability to save.  I am by no stretch of the imagination rich.  Nevermind that I'm disabled and can't work. 

I'm still waiting for the magical success that's supposed to be mine by simple virtue of being white.

Trieste

It's not a difference between rich and poor, but more a leg up in how you're treated.

Minorities are still more likely to be stopped and searched on the road.

Minorities are still more likely to be arrested.

Minorities are more likely to be placed on death row and have higher execution rates, especially if their victim is non-minority (i.e. if the victim is white).

I'm not going to go chasing down a dozen million sources that people probably won't read, but minorities (especially minority women) are more likely to be on social assistance, were more likely to be single parents at least until the 90s (haven't checked the statistics lately), and there is evidence that minorities receive some of the worst medical benefits as a group in the country.

I'm not saying that it doesn't suck to live paycheck to paycheck, but do be aware that you're at least less likely to be harassed by bored cops, thrown in jail, investigated by Social Services, and so on and so forth. Just because you don't feel privileged doesn't mean you don't have privileges that you take for granted.

LunarSage

Granted, but people act as though life is somehow "easy mode" if you're a SWM.  I strongly disagree.  It depends on your circumstances.  I refuse to have a broad stroke of generalization applied to me or anyone else based on race.  No one in progressive areas of society would tolerate doing so to a minority, but it's far more acceptable in those areas to discriminate against SWMs due to some fucked up "they have it coming" mentality at worst and "there's no such thing as bigotry toward a straight white male" in many cases.  Just because I'm straight, white and male doesn't invalidate my right to be offended when bigotry is directed at me (yes I realize it's less common, but it does happen).

Trieste

The very fact that you have the luxury (and audacity!) to declare that you refuse to be painted by the brush of your race is part of the proof. Compared to the fourteen year old juvenile being tried as an adult and put away for the majority of his life, that is easy mode!

Your righteous indignation hat is blocking your empathy beams!  >:(

LunarSage

Because I've had everything in life handed to me due to the color of my skin.  Right.

Whatever.  I refuse to be made to feel guilty about my ethnicity.

Nevertheless, you're beginning to take this to a level beyond civility... so I'm going to walk away.

Trieste

It was an attempt to add some humor.

It's not a case of feeling guilty - it's a case of feeling positive. Your ethnicity (and sexuality, and gender) brings with it privilege that others are aspiring to. Rather than seeing them as bringing you down, wouldn't it be more positive to look at it as lifting everyone up to the same level?

Quote from: LunarSage on November 14, 2012, 06:59:50 AM
Because I've had everything in life handed to me due to the color of my skin.  Right.

I never said this. I said you're essentially in easy mode because you don't stand at risk to lose your liberty or your life more easily. Do you see the difference?

LunarSage

Quote from: Trieste on November 14, 2012, 07:12:04 AM
It was an attempt to add some humor.

It's not a case of feeling guilty - it's a case of feeling positive. Your ethnicity (and sexuality, and gender) brings with it privilege that others are aspiring to. Rather than seeing them as bringing you down, wouldn't it be more positive to look at it as lifting everyone up to the same level?

I never said this. I said you're essentially in easy mode because you don't stand at risk to lose your liberty or your life more easily. Do you see the difference?

It's all good, Trieste. 

I've come across people who do take it to the extremes though, and that's all I'm saying.  I've met people (minorities and non minorities) who's goal has seemed to be to make me feel guilty about being white, or straight, or a man.  My point is that's just as wrong as persecuting a minority... but it seems like often (in non racist areas), bigotry towards a SWM is not only acceptable, it's secretly applauded by many.  I'm not saying you're doing this... but it happens and it's really not fair in my opinion.

I try to judge people based on their actions and personality rather than gender, ethnicity or sexual preference (I have prejudices too, just like everyone else... that can't be helped, but it can be worked on).  I think in a perfect world we could all judge each other based on the individual.

I do see what you're saying, but do you at least marginally see my point?

Torch

The following is an excerpt from a Washington Post Opinion page written by Jonathan Capehart, an African-American journalist who also appears as a contributor to MSNBC:

QuoteOne of the burdens of being a black male is carrying the heavy weight of other people’s suspicions. One minute you’re going about your life, the next you could be pleading for it, if you’re lucky. And far too many aren’t.

You’ve heard me talk about the conversation my mom had with me before my first day at a predominantly white school. Reading about Trayvon reminded me of the list of the “don’ts” I received after my sheltered existence in Hazlet, N.J., was replaced with the reality of Newark when my mother remarried in the 1980s.

“Don’t run in public.” Lest someone think you’re suspicious.

“Don’t run while carrying anything in your hands.” Lest someone think you stole something.

“Don’t talk back to the police.” Lest you give them a reason to take you to jail or worse

There was also being mindful that you are being watched in stores. Watched turned to followed as I got older. To this day, if a sales person is overly attentive to what I might be looking for I leave the store. Never to return. And then there was keeping a distance of deniability from white women when walking on the street. Lest you be accused of any number of offenses, from trying to snatch her purse to sexual assault.

In the early 1990s, I saw a T-shirt for sale on Canal Street in New York that neatly and bluntly summed up my frustration with this situation: “No white lady I don't want your purse.”

I believe the point Trieste is trying to make is that as a white man, you will never have to have this sort of conversation with your son. You will have no need for the T-shirt with the caption reading "No white lady, I don't want your purse".

That is the essence of "white privilege". Simply by the virtue of the color of your skin, and for no other reason (not class, not education, not social standing, not economic standing) you are exempt from the type of stereotypes that plague black men. It is an undeniable fact.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Torch

Quote from: LunarSage on November 14, 2012, 07:27:04 AM
  I think in a perfect world we could all judge each other based on the individual.

Of course we could.

But none of us live in that world. We live in this one, the imperfect one.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

LunarSage

Quote from: Torch on November 14, 2012, 08:09:45 AM
The following is an excerpt from a Washington Post Opinion page written by Jonathan Capehart, an African-American journalist who also appears as a contributor to MSNBC:

I believe the point Trieste is trying to make is that as a white man, you will never have to have this sort of conversation with your son. You will have no need for the T-shirt with the caption reading "No white lady, I don't want your purse".

That is the essence of "white privilege". Simply by the virtue of the color of your skin, and for no other reason (not class, not education, not social standing, not economic standing) you are exempt from the type of stereotypes that plague black men. It is an undeniable fact.

I'm really not arguing that, though.

Yes, I agree with every bit of the above... but it still doesn't make the (admittedly rarer) cases of bigotry and assumptions regarding SWMs ok in my opinion.  It's apples and oranges.

Torch

Quote from: LunarSage on November 14, 2012, 08:13:51 AM
I'm really not arguing that, though.

I know, you were arguing this:

QuoteI'm still waiting for the magical success that's supposed to be mine by simple virtue of being white.

You don't get "magical success". What you do get is freedom from automatic suspicion. Big difference.

On's and Off's

LunarSage

Quote from: Torch on November 14, 2012, 08:18:50 AM
I know, you were arguing this:

You don't get "magical success". What you do get is freedom from automatic suspicion. Big difference.

I've seen articles and arguments where some people genuinely believe that being a SWM is an instant ticket to success and money, as though every SWM in the country is a Kennedy or something.  All I'm saying is that's not true.

I realize that you and Trieste and many others weren't implying that... but I've run into it often enough that I felt the need to address it.

auroraChloe

Ms Coulter was recently UNINVITED to speak at/to College Republicans at Fordham University.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/11/13/fordham-college-republicans-rescind-invitation/

i find her attempts to redefine 'retard' as loser rather disingenuous.  she knows exactly what she meant when she tweeted it in reference to the President and is now pathetically backpedaling.  ([noembed]saw on a recent Piers Morgan show[/noembed])

i wouldn't doubt Bill Maher bangs her, though... after inserting a nice n' snug ball gag.   :o 

a/a 8/21/17

Shjade

*watches Piers Morgan clip*

Ann Coulter: "I don't believe it is a racist country." - regarding racism in the U.S.A.

*facepalm*
◕/◕'s

Stattick

Quote from: LunarSage on November 14, 2012, 07:27:04 AM
I think in a perfect world we could all judge each other based on the individual.

Sadly, I don't think that perfect world exists. Psychological experiments continue to show that people that don't think they're racist still react differently to people of different races. I think that instinctual xenophobia is deeply ingrained in our DNA, and that we're not getting away from that any time soon.  :-(
O/O   A/A

Skynet

Quote from: Lux12 on November 13, 2012, 08:18:48 PM
Indeed. The problem with this country is that we listen to and worship celebrities as if they are divine authority. We can and will make a celebrity of anyone, and then people will listen to them.

This explains why Jersey Shore and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo are popular.

Lux12

Quote from: Skynet on November 14, 2012, 02:05:48 PM
This explains why Jersey Shore and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo are popular.
Exactly. I'm not entirely sure why this phenomenon seems so endemic in our culture, but that's how it is and it's rather awful.

Skynet

Normally I'd take it up as people enjoying watching a trainwreck, yet many people look up to The Kardashians as people to emulate in things like fashion, or that guys like "The Situation" are pretty cool instead of losers.  Granted there are many people who realize that these folks aren't proper role models, but too many children and adults see otherwise.

Sort of explains why firebrands like Coulter would gain popularity in certain circles and respect despite her histrionics.

Torch

Quote from: Stattick on November 14, 2012, 02:01:22 PM
Sadly, I don't think that perfect world exists. Psychological experiments continue to show that people that don't think they're racist still react differently to people of different races. I think that instinctual xenophobia is deeply ingrained in our DNA, and that we're not getting away from that any time soon.  :-(

See Jane Elliott, conductor the infamous "blue eye/brown eye" exercise. Her work should be standard reading for anyone who thinks racism doesn't excist anymore. 

I first saw her on an episode of "Phil Donahue" back in the 80's (which makes me friggin' old, but anyway...). It was fascinating watching her conduct the exercise on his audience.

On's and Off's

Skynet

I was genuinely surprised that many people said that we live in a "post-racial America" after the 2008 elections.  Including Chris Matthews, a news anchor, of all people said this!

Obama's election was indeed an historic moment, but it didn't magically erase prejudice and bigotry from this country.  On the contrary, the political far-right channels all sorts of racist fears about the President to otherize him: "he's a foreigner, he's not Christian, he's got a Kenyan anti-colonial worldview, he wants to steal money from hard-working white folk!"  It's sickening.

I've seen this "no racism in America" argument used by both the Left and Right under different contexts; barring intellectual dishonesty, I can't imagine how they got to this conclusion.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Torch on November 14, 2012, 08:18:50 AM

Actually, I don't get that.  I've been stopped twice so far in a major grocery store because some one thought I was doing a crime.  The first time was helping a little kid get back to his mom.  He actually grabbed my sleeve, so I took him to a cashier, instead the woman accused me of kidnapping.  Which the security guard almost believed her.  He was all ready to call the police on me.  And I was still told not to come back.  I remember saying that wouldn't be an issue.

The second time was just last week, some kid accused me of theft and when security came, he took off.  I'm pretty sure he was using me to deflect attention to him, but no proof.  Security still hauled me to a back office and had me open my coat and searched my stuff, which was one of their grocery baskets, and my satchel.  Which they didn't find anything, and I got another warning to watch myself.

Also, it's lessened a lot recently, there was this big thing about being a white male made you more likely to be a pedophile...  Not sure where that came from.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Pretty sure serial killers are still statistically most likely to be white males, too, aren't they?
◕/◕'s

Skynet

Quote from: Shjade on November 14, 2012, 07:45:49 PM
Pretty sure serial killers are still statistically most likely to be white males, too, aren't they?

I once read a book about serial killers, and it said that statistically most of them matched up to their country's largest racial demographic.

And I have nothing else to add to this conversation.

Oniya

'Most serial killers in [Country] are [demographic] because most people in [Country] are [demographic].'

Works for me.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 14, 2012, 08:22:35 PM
'Most serial killers in [Country] are [demographic] because most people in [Country] are [demographic].'

Works for me.
It's logical is not?

Stattick

Most gunslingers in the old west had blue eyes. Therefore, having blue eyes makes you ~crAzY VioLeNt~.
O/O   A/A

Lux12

Quote from: Stattick on November 14, 2012, 10:51:45 PM
Most gunslingers in the old west had blue eyes. Therefore, having blue eyes makes you ~crAzY VioLeNt~.
It's been said that those with piercing blue eyes are destined to do great things or commit acts of unspeakable evil in some bits of folklore.

However the other thing is a matter of ratios and such.

gaggedLouise

*looks around the abundance of blue eyes in Scandinavia, and the very low share of native multiple killings or of serial killers of any kind*

*winks*

(yes, Anders Breivik has blue eyes but he and his act formed a total exception)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on November 14, 2012, 07:45:49 PM
Actually yes, even in countries where other races tend to dominate, I can't find the article but it claimed that more White Men than others that will classified as Serial Killers.  Again, 'classified', not being.

Oniya

oo-ee-oo-ee-oo

Wah-WAH-waaaaaah

Avis habilis

I thought it was the squint. Too much squinting makes you want to get in gunfights.

Stattick

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 15, 2012, 07:23:58 AM
I thought it was the squint. Too much squinting makes you want to get in gunfights.

No, I thought it was the squinting that turns your eyes blue, and the blue makes you crazy. Like, I thought that's why Celt warriors painted themselves blue, to make themselves crazy and fierce for battle.
O/O   A/A

Lux12

Quote from: Stattick on November 15, 2012, 02:01:32 PM
No, I thought it was the squinting that turns your eyes blue, and the blue makes you crazy. Like, I thought that's why Celt warriors painted themselves blue, to make themselves crazy and fierce for battle.

That sounds a lot like the Orks from Warhammer talking about painting stuff red to make it go faster, which is about as insane as anything Anne Coulter has ever said.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Lux12 on November 15, 2012, 02:53:32 PM
That sounds a lot like the Orks from Warhammer talking about painting stuff red to make it go faster, which is about as insane as anything Anne Coulter has ever said.
But unlike Ann Coulter, the Orks are RIGHT.  Painting something red will go faster.  For them.  Because their psychic powers make it so.

Although, a Red car will more likely be caught for speeding by the cops.

Lux12

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 15, 2012, 03:07:38 PM
But unlike Ann Coulter, the Orks are RIGHT.  Painting something red will go faster.  For them.  Because their psychic powers make it so.

Although, a Red car will more likely be caught for speeding by the cops.

Wow that's sad.Even the Orks "paint it red" thing makes more logical sense than anything she has ever said.

Oniya

I was going to say something about how red things do go faster - as long as they're moving away from you.  Any astronomer will tell you that the faster a star is moving away from the Earth, the more its spectral lines are shifted toward the red.   ;D

Stattick

Stare into Ann Coulter's blue eyes of crazy!

O/O   A/A

Lux12

Quote from: Stattick on November 15, 2012, 03:17:21 PM
Stare into Ann Coulter's blue eyes of crazy!

Like I said, my current theory is that she's not really a conservative, but a severely mentally ill individual in desperate need of medication or therapy or a combination of both.

Stattick

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 03:13:05 PM
I was going to say something about how red things do go faster - as long as they're moving away from you.  Any astronomer will tell you that the faster a star is moving away from the Earth, the more its spectral lines are shifted toward the red.   ;D

And they blue shift the faster they're approaching. OH SHIT, THAT MEANS ANN COULTER'S ~CRaZy eYeS~ ARE CATCHING UP WITH US!
O/O   A/A

Oniya

*dives to the left, so she can pass me on the right... the far right.*

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 03:21:43 PM
*dives to the left, so she can pass me on the right... the far right.*

*dives way to the  far left and laughs as she shouts curses at him*

Shjade

Quote from: Lux12 on November 15, 2012, 03:18:46 PM
Like I said, my current theory is that she's not really a conservative, but a severely mentally ill individual in desperate need of medication or therapy or a combination of both.

Or she's an undercover liberal sacrificing herself for the cause to make conservatives look crazy even to themselves in the hopes of pushing more bodies to the left! :o
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on November 15, 2012, 06:37:58 PM
Or she's an undercover liberal sacrificing herself for the cause to make conservatives look crazy even to themselves in the hopes of pushing more bodies to the left! :o

Nope she's a lawyer who broke attorney client privilege who has to make a living running her big damn mouth anyway she pleases

Lux12

I know more than a few people have theorized that this is the truth about several different members of the Republican party and that various liberal groups have planted them in the party to destroy it from the inside by acting as nuts as possible. It would be the most clever gambit in political history, at least in the U.S., if it were true.

Shjade

Indeed. Sadly that means it can't be true as the current Democratic party is incapable of such maneuvering. Ah well.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

Can I sig this?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Stattick

O/O   A/A

auroraChloe

she is not that noble, quasi as it may be.  just an opportunist, making many a buck off the paranoid &/or ignorant aryans.

a/a 8/21/17