News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Work Computer

Started by Mr Self Destruct, October 25, 2010, 11:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Self Destruct

My work computer has been acting up as of late (the past two to three days).  During a shift, the main terminal suddenly goes to a black screen, with a message that reads: Beginning physical memory dump: with a countdown here before rebooting.  After the reboot, it takes nearly six minutes to load up the desktop, with nothing visible save for a blue screen.

Googling the problem results in a long list of possible problems: missing dll file (what the hell is that?), RAM problem, registery errors, etc.  I've done a full virus scan, a registery cleaning, as well as a much needed disk defrag, even though the analyzer told me I didn't need to.  Since doing the defrag (about 1 pm today), I didn't have any problems with it.  But I know the fix likely isn't that easy.

What's worse is that when the reboot begins, the POS (point of sale, though I have a different definition) craps out, making order taking impossible except by hand.  The owner is planning on getting a new system sometime (its on the horizon, he says), but doesn't want to spend anymore money on this old system in the meantime.  I've been keeping him updated as to the status of our crappy computer system, but knowing him, paying to have it fixed isn't a problem. 

I would LOVE to avoid having to take orders by hand. :(

Our OS is Windows 2000, if that tells you how he loves to avoid spending money to upgrade necessary components of our business.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oniya

A missing DLL file (It means 'Dynamic Link Library') would cause a crash when the computer tried to access a specific function, the way I understand it.  If certain, repeatable steps cause the computer to crash, then that might be your situation.  A RAM problem would likely be more random - I don't know how to troubleshoot that without physically replacing the RAM chips with a known good one (someone else might have a better method).

If it was a registry error, you might have fixed it with the cleaning.  All I can say is to see if it happens again, and if there's anything specific that leads to the crash.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chevalier des Poissons

In case the problems keeps going, I'd suggest reinstalling Windows. Not formatting the computer, just plain reinstallation. You won't lose anything but some time. That shall handle it.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A