more people-of-color avatars please?

Started by bina, May 24, 2012, 07:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bina

Just a suggestion: Far as I can see, there are virtually no African-American avatars in the selection available on elliquiy. I'm planning plan to download one from elsewhere for myself--I have been through 2 but neither is anywhere near what I want. But I think the site would be friendlier if it had more. Just sayin', is all.

Beguile's Mistress

You might find some nice ones here if you're looking for ladies.

Otherwise, most of us "shop" Google for avatars that aren't found in the site cache.

Oniya

I believe that - with the exception of the libraries labeled as NewUploads or Uploaded - the avatar set came with the forum software.  Everything else has been put up by individual members as they decide on an avatar. 

With the caveat that avatars must be appropriate for public areas, there's another thread that might help you in your search, here.  Some very nice ladies there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Flower

Quote from: bina on May 24, 2012, 07:49:25 AM
Just a suggestion: Far as I can see, there are virtually no African-American avatars in the selection available on elliquiy. I'm planning plan to download one from elsewhere for myself--I have been through 2 but neither is anywhere near what I want. But I think the site would be friendlier if it had more. Just sayin', is all.

I get most of mine from Tumblr although it is much easier to find stuff if you know the name of models. If you would like to know names or blogs to follow for pictures, let me know. :)

JDrew Spider

May I suggest..

http://pinterest.com/pin/27443878948788448/

And try..

http://vi.sualize.us/

They have wonderful selections of black beauty and diverse visuals.
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

bina

I really want to thank all of you who have replied to this suggestion.....I will totally go to one of the offsite places you suggest (I did try one I had used in the past but it was rejected because of size). It didn't occur to me the avatar selection came with the forum, but of course that makes sense and would certainly explain why the selection is what it is. Thank you for being so helpful.

Vekseid

Quote from: bina on May 24, 2012, 08:49:22 PM
I really want to thank all of you who have replied to this suggestion.....I will totally go to one of the offsite places you suggest (I did try one I had used in the past but it was rejected because of size). It didn't occur to me the avatar selection came with the forum, but of course that makes sense and would certainly explain why the selection is what it is. Thank you for being so helpful.

Most of the avatars are uploaded by users, I think only one of the packs is custom.

If you need help with resizing avatars, you can always ask in the help forum here. : )

kylie

If you see someone you like on Tumblr, etc., you can copy the image and then plug it through the "upload image" camera icon in Google Images. 

Or possibly try http://www.tineye.com/ (smaller database, but maybe more correspondence if you find it).

Then, you may be able to find a name and raid the web for more, if they are out there.

Dhi

Hey bina, if you're still looking, here's one from my bookmarks:
http://iloveblackgirls.tumblr.com/

It's tasteful, classy, and I think just about every one is a gem.

Another site where I used to post doesn't allow users to upload avatars. Out of thousands of female avatars, there is one with complexion darker than Halle Berry. The only representations of my own race are dressed for tribal dance. I know that frustration all too well.  :-(