SOPA/PIPA officially on ice. Let's hope that's where they stay >:

Started by Sabby, January 20, 2012, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

It's like this.. if RIAA and it's backers had there way:

1. Artists would be paid a flat fee.. a small flat fee.. and that was it. No royalties or share of the pie in anyway shape or form.
2. They'd own their songs. Forever. Without end. Always. No public domain.
3. We'd pay a dime for humming a few notes of a song.
4. We'd never be able to 'buy' music but merely rent it..having to pay it everytime we play a song.
5. Vendors would be good little slaves and take the smallest bit of payment for their efforts. And be grateful for it.
6. Anyone who mentioned the NAME of the song would have to pay them for that right. Radio, TV, us.

ReijiTabibito

So, basically, they want an abolishment of the First Amendment?  Are they insane?  Sounds like in their world, 'money is free speech,' but music isn't.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 09, 2012, 11:56:11 PM
So, basically, they want an abolishment of the First Amendment?  Are they insane?  Sounds like in their world, 'money is free speech,' but music isn't.

Did you know that the 'Happy Birthday' song is copyrighted..and the owners rigorously pursue protecting that copyright? Restaurants have come up with their own version because Time-Warner enforces the copyright for a group of investors. Because the creator of the song died in 1946, under current US law it won't lapse till 2030. If groups like RIAA had their way, corporate ownership of such things would never lapse.

Public domain would dead end.

Tiberius

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 09, 2012, 11:56:11 PM

Exactly yes, they want to abolish that, the government is so weak now corporations think they can dictate law to them, if people are not careful, America will no longer be a democracy it will be what is called a Corporate Republic (modern term, the archaic term is serfdom)

Oniya

Quote from: Oniya on March 04, 2012, 07:08:21 PM
States that have introduced legislation specifically targeted at NDAA:

Maryland - HJ0012 - Introduced Feb 10
West Virginia - HB4627 - Introduced Feb 20
Missouri - SB819 - Introduce Feb 22  (fixed typo)
Tennessee - HB2619 and SB2669 - Introduced Jan 17
Oklahoma - HCR 1025 - Introduced Feb 6
Washington - HB2759 - Introduced Jan 31
Utah - SCR11 - Introduced Feb 22
Arizona - SB1182 - Introduced Feb 13 - Passed Senate Feb 16
Arizona - SCR1011 - Introduced Feb 13 - Passed Senate Feb 16

Virginia was the first state to pass it with HB1160, Introduced Jan 16 -  Passed House Feb 14, passed Senate Feb 28

Districts that have passed resolutions at present are:

Fairfax, CA
Fremont County, CO
Weld County, CO
El Paso County, CO
Town of Macomb, NY
Northampton, MA
New Shoreham, RI

Update:  Arizona's SB1182 has passed the state's House of Representatives.  It's now going back to the Senate for a concurrence before going to the governor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/cispa_passes/?source=fb

CISPA passed the house.. so we're BACK to the the same shenanigans that we had with SOPA/PIPA but now it's in the name of 'National Security'. Took them less than what.. five months to resume?

ReijiTabibito

The good news is - I hope - that if we manage to defeat this bill, which has the 'national security' (and therefore 'terrorism') hot word attached to it, then I can't see anything much stronger as a reason that people would use to try and justify something like this.

Yes, Hollywood, the rest of America has moved on from your old way of doing things.  It's time that you did that, too.  Or would that just cost the Pointy Haired Ones in their three-piece suits and expense account steak lunches too much?

Cheka Man

Hopefully, they'll get their butt kicked again, and this latest version of the Undead Sopa will be sent back to its grave.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cheka Man on April 27, 2012, 09:40:35 AM
Hopefully, they'll get their butt kicked again, and this latest version of the Undead Sopa will be sent back to its grave.

If we manage to stake this version.. I'm wiling to bet that something will come up after the elections. I don't think, short of some 'Net protection' act, that we will ever be free of this need to 'over regulate' the net.

Malthas

Considering that it's an election year and Obama is against it the thing is expected to get vetoed by him.

So there is that.

Unfortunately you know these people are going to keep at it no matter what until they get what they want and then keep trying to add in what they didn't get in the first place.

It's quite disgusting.

Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Malthas on April 27, 2012, 01:18:18 PM
Considering that it's an election year and Obama is against it the thing is expected to get vetoed by him.

So there is that.

Unfortunately you know these people are going to keep at it no matter what until they get what they want and then keep trying to add in what they didn't get in the first place.

It's quite disgusting.

Well just remember it's not a strict party division. The VP has been in the past against Net Neutrality and this sort of thing, if he had been elected, would have most likely backed it to the hilt. He has spoken, prior to being elected VP, on the need to regulate the net and is firmly in the pocket of folks like RIAA and MPAA.

Malthas

Most politicians are, it's really sickening.

Still it's suppose to be denied so there is that as I said when it goes for final approval.   

I never understood how anyone can support the RIAA.
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cheka Man

To a point, I can see the RIAA's point of view.Noone likes to have their stuff stolen. The way to get around it though is to move with the times. More things like I-tunes, where one gets music by paying a reasonable account per song.

Chris Brady

And we're surprised that SOPA/PIPA is back?  Come on guys, you're going to have to fight it for the rest of your lives.  Get used to it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Surprised, no.  Annoyed, yes.  It's like those black streaks in my grout lines in the shower.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Resurrecting a thread with news on Lester Chambers... only 12 hours left.. but there is a kickstarter going to have Lester make an album and advocate for Artist's rights.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lesterchambers/lesters-time-has-come-today

Ironwolf85

I get the feeling this is going to be simmilar to what my town is doing.

this wealthy guy moved in twelve years ago, and ten years ago wanted to put a big ol helicopter pad on his property, which is not allowed due to the disruption of landing choppers, there's a small time airport a mile up the road, but he want's what he wants.

When the town said no, he decided to sue the town.
For ten years he has sued, and for ten years he's lost, and he has the money to keep going.

The rest of the town hates him now because it eats up a lot of our small town budget, so he's the reason bridges aren't being fixed, trails aren't groomed, and only the main roads are paved every year (frost damage)

We can't stop him from suing and he can't win because no judge in the state will decide in his favor.

when asked "how long are we going to have to keep beating him" the general response is "he'll die of old age in a few years, the town will still be here"

I have the feeling that these dumbass internet bills are pretty much going to be the same hassle.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

Another thing you might see pop up is the flame out against Amazons new policy.  You buy a CD from them, the GIVE you the digital version into your amazon cloud drive. I doubt some of the imports I bought over the years will appear but I count at least NINE new albums that I bought from Amazon over my last 12+ years of using hem.

Chris Brady

Off topic:

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 11, 2013, 03:59:28 PM
I get the feeling this is going to be simmilar to what my town is doing.

this wealthy guy moved in twelve years ago, and ten years ago wanted to put a big ol helicopter pad on his property, which is not allowed due to the disruption of landing choppers, there's a small time airport a mile up the road, but he want's what he wants.

When the town said no, he decided to sue the town.
For ten years he has sued, and for ten years he's lost, and he has the money to keep going.

The rest of the town hates him now because it eats up a lot of our small town budget, so he's the reason bridges aren't being fixed, trails aren't groomed, and only the main roads are paved every year (frost damage)

We can't stop him from suing and he can't win because no judge in the state will decide in his favor.

when asked "how long are we going to have to keep beating him" the general response is "he'll die of old age in a few years, the town will still be here"

I have the feeling that these dumbass internet bills are pretty much going to be the same hassle.
Maybe someone should sue him for millions of dollars on the town's behalf?  For purposely destroying the town's infrastructure with a frivolous lawsuit...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming