I wish there was...

Started by derek, May 18, 2011, 09:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

either a topical "How to..." subforum here that would give instructions on common posting practices...like how to insert a photo in a post, how to size an AV, or a search app that didn't focus on discreet words but rather on phrases  for instance when I searched for "how to add....."  I got thousands of instances where the word 'to' was used

For instance, I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to find how to post a music vid from youtube in a post...to no avail. :-[

Looking at the postshere...it seems like many are repeats maybe having them sorted would help people find the info they need...just a comment

Blitzy

Well, first of all...

Inserting a photo into a post is easy. You click the little photo icon above the smileys. First one on the left.

Size an AV? You can use TinyPic, which is what I do, to make it 150x200.

There is a post with all this stuff, and I'll find it in a minute, if someone else doesn't before me.

You add a YouTube video by clicking the URL button and putting the URL inside the [ url] [ /url] tags.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Kye

There is a tutorial section here that has guides to some of those types of things.  Another  option is to PM one of your mentors, we're always willing to help out with things like that!  ;D

derek

Quote from: Blitzy on May 18, 2011, 10:05:16 PM
Well, first of all...

Inserting a photo into a post is easy. You click the little photo icon above the smileys. First one on the left.

Size an AV? You can use TinyPic, which is what I do, to make it 150x200.

There is a post with all this stuff, and I'll find it in a minute, if someone else doesn't before me.

You add a YouTube video by clicking the URL button and putting the URL inside the [ url] [ /url] tags.
Thanks so much :)

derek

Quote from: Kyrsa on May 18, 2011, 10:23:31 PM
There is a tutorial section here that has guides to some of those types of things.  Another  option is to PM one of your mentors, we're always willing to help out with things like that!  ;D
Thanks for the link...I did forget about the mentor option...no disrespect...I'm just not used to it from the sites I wandered in here from.  ;)

Kye

Quote from: derek on May 18, 2011, 10:34:08 PM
Thanks for the link...I did forget about the mentor option...no disrespect...I'm just not used to it from the sites I wandered in here from.  ;)

None taken! It's a fairly unique setup, but I assure you we really like to help out and there are no stupid questions. *grins*

derek

Quote from: Kyrsa on May 18, 2011, 10:38:04 PM
None taken! It's a fairly unique setup, but I assure you we really like to help out and there are no stupid questions. *grins*
Thanks....I'm glad you're grinning

I want to make posts like this one below...I do know how to add links, pics, etc.
but for the life of me I can't figure out how to have a youtube vid show and play in a post like Kyrsa has done here ( I left the quote function incomplete so the image would show, and the post number, etc.):

quote author=Xandria link=topic=520.msg4663226#msg4663226 date=1305761726]
Wow, thanks!  I liked them all, but 11 Dreams the best followed by A Darker Shade of Black as a close second!!  ;D  I looked up their lyrics too and they are all amazing! Hmmm...will have to look up all their albums now!

Every heard of Scar Symmetry?  They're slightly similar and I like their lyrics also:

Scar Symmetry - The Illusionist
[/quote

Kye

All you need to do is put the html link in.  That's it.  The forum automatically pull the video and displays it.

derek

Kye

Oniya

Just as a note, if you want to link to a video and not have it play, just put the [ noembed ] and [ /noembed ] tags around the link.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Star Safyre

Quote from: Oniya on May 19, 2011, 01:38:38 AM
Just as a note, if you want to link to a video and not have it play, just put the [ noembed ] and [ /noembed ] tags around the link.

Now I had a question!

Is there a way to noembed and have the link text be something else instead of the website's name?
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

WhiteyChan

Quote from: Star Safyre on May 19, 2011, 05:34:01 AM
Now I had a question!

Is there a way to noembed and have the link text be something else instead of the website's name?

I believe this is it. Obviously, change 'Put link here' for the URL address, and 'Text in here' for what you want it to actually say. I also had to put a space at the start of noembed brackets as didn't work in the code bracket for some reason, but hey-ho.

[ noembed][url=put link here]Text in here[/url][ /noembed]

Star Safyre

Sweet!  That works great.  Thanks!   ;D
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones