What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Fucking Dark Souls! It's not worth it. It's not fun enough to merit the ulcers it's trying to give me. Granted it was a traverse the white light so I knew a demon was around the corner, but when his jump attack can take out my stamina and three quarters of my health I can't help but feel I'm in the wrong place. My options are a demon I can't beat who throws lightning, ghosts I can't even touch, and said other demon. It wouldn't be so bad if the demon didn't use it immediately upon me entering the area. meaning I can't doge it at all, and it's not really blockable. Then he has poisoning little minions running around. It's not wroth it. I'm going to have to get a guide just to play the game, and in my book if you have to get a guide just to know where to go and when (after trial and error and all that) you've failed as a game designer. You've failed to engage the gamer.

Now I'm going to be stuck in an infinite retrieve experience and die loop, or worse a just die loop.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

wouldjakoindly

Red Dead Redemption and Arkham City for Xbox 360.
Fallout 1 on PC.
Shadow Hearts on PS2.
Skyward Sword on Wii.
Ocarina of Time on N64.
EVO on SNES.
Pokemon Red on Gameboy.
And Professor Layton and the Curious Village on DS. (:
My O/Os. || My solo request board. || A/As. || I'm back. Feel free to chew me out for the second too-long absence. || · ┓┏ ·

Inkidu

No one can ever tell me Dark Souls is not cheap on opportunistic. I plunge-attacked a demon, and he hit me while my sword was working on separating his left and right brain. Either it's cheap programing or faulty programing. >__<

EDIT: So I've come to the conclusion that despite its pretty environments, meaty combat, and really cool feel overall Dark Souls has everything that I hate in terms of design choices.

Cheap, opportunistic enemies with tracking and spam attacks.

A backtracking slog, and never any hint of direction. Nope if you accidentally run into a next of ghosts that you could never be reasonably sure were going to be their tough shit. I get what they were going for but when everything can kill you run around until you find something that kills you just a little bit slower isn't going to cut it.

Shitty scaling, and seeing as you freaking level up with every stat increase the games mooks only get tougher while you get weaker and weaker until you finally realize that things you need are unobtainable because they're behind uber mooks. It's happened to me.

A boring grindfest. God, you think I could get away with that. Nope most of the game actually involves just killing the same twenty or so mooks over and over until you have enough souls to do what you want.

Like I've said, I know more about the starting area of the game more than I do any other.

Trial and error gameplay. Yeah, I can do it, but what's the point. I check solutions if I wanted trial and error. I don't want that in a game. If I have to T and E through a game the developers shouldn't have jobs. What about something that takes skill and a grasp of tactics to overcome? Just learn where they come out and grab a game breaking sword.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

... Meanwhile, I'm incredibly proud of myself. I killed the Cabra demon in my first attempt, and I survived the basilisk-infested Depths, even though I didn't even mean to go down there. I was going to visit the undead asylum first, but then I fell into a hole and had to fight for my life.

Capone

Uncharted 2 is over-rated as well. I'm 7 chapters in and really feel no need to continue. The shooting, the climbing, the stealth, it's all like other games, but done half-assed. They tried to take in a ton of ideas from other games and put them together, but they never bothered doing a good job with it.

It's like a shitty variation of Darksiders, which was an awesome game and I wish people would stop bitching about how it pulled from other games.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2012, 03:49:53 PM
No one can ever tell me Dark Souls is not cheap on opportunistic. I plunge-attacked a demon, and he hit me while my sword was working on separating his left and right brain. Either it's cheap programing or faulty programing. >__<

EDIT: So I've come to the conclusion that despite its pretty environments, meaty combat, and really cool feel overall Dark Souls has everything that I hate in terms of design choices.

Cheap, opportunistic enemies with tracking and spam attacks.

A backtracking slog, and never any hint of direction. Nope if you accidentally run into a next of ghosts that you could never be reasonably sure were going to be their tough shit. I get what they were going for but when everything can kill you run around until you find something that kills you just a little bit slower isn't going to cut it.

Shitty scaling, and seeing as you freaking level up with every stat increase the games mooks only get tougher while you get weaker and weaker until you finally realize that things you need are unobtainable because they're behind uber mooks. It's happened to me.

A boring grindfest. God, you think I could get away with that. Nope most of the game actually involves just killing the same twenty or so mooks over and over until you have enough souls to do what you want.

Like I've said, I know more about the starting area of the game more than I do any other.

Trial and error gameplay. Yeah, I can do it, but what's the point. I check solutions if I wanted trial and error. I don't want that in a game. If I have to T and E through a game the developers shouldn't have jobs. What about something that takes skill and a grasp of tactics to overcome? Just learn where they come out and grab a game breaking sword.

If you hit with a plunging attack the creature is stunned till you can recover. It can not hit you and while it will retaliate soon you should be expecting that and have your shield up. I assume your talking about the taurus demon

The crippled demon that throws lightning is
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Weak to magic. You can get it by freeing a sorcerer in the undead burg on the way to the Capra demon but you will need the residence key from the male undead merchant.

Finally you need a special item to kill ghosts, they arent coporeal beings so normal weapons wont do the trick without help. Makes sense right? You will find a place to buy those items later but you dont need to go into New Londo ruins till the end of the game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

No it's not the Tuarus demon it's the Capra (Crapra) demon, and I'm telling you I plunge attack him. I saw my character hit, the hp go down and he hit me twice while I was on his head. Yes you can plunge him, you use the stairs. He's got cheap spammy attacks and almost all of them are pseudo-AOE attacks or trackers. That and his dogs constantly try to block you and you can't kill them fast enough before he takes off another half of your health bar. I've literally walked in died within four seconds. That's not hard to be hard, that's lazy-ass programming. It's a cramped room with a demon who can hit you from just about any part of it.

There needs to be more to a game's mechanics than, "Just hard". Believe me I'm an avid gamer, I don't put titles like casual or hardcore on it. If a game does something bad I'm going to call it out on it, I don't care its intended audience unless it's an age group. But when it stops being fun, it stops being a game.

Hemingway

There wasn't much of a plan to the way I killed the capra demon, but it worked out just fine. I managed to work out that if you bait him up the stairs then jump off, he'll follow. You may have to dodge to avoid having him hit you. If you manage, you'll have a few seconds where you can attack him while he's recovering. That's basically how I did it. I came close to dying a few times, but if you manage to get him to attack you while you're climbing the stairs and he's on the ground, you'll have time to heal. I think that's a safer approach than doing jumping attacks.

I'm playing as a Knight, by the way, though I can't remember if I was wearing heavy armor during the capra fight. I do know that my shield can take a good beating ( 100% physical resistance ) and that at this point I have enough stamina to actually block a few attacks, even heavy ones, without getting staggered.

Havel the Rock still one shots the hell out of me, though. I gave up trying to kill him, for the time being.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2012, 07:54:35 PM
No it's not the Tuarus demon it's the Capra (Crapra) demon, and I'm telling you I plunge attack him. I saw my character hit, the hp go down and he hit me twice while I was on his head. Yes you can plunge him, you use the stairs. He's got cheap spammy attacks and almost all of them are pseudo-AOE attacks or trackers. That and his dogs constantly try to block you and you can't kill them fast enough before he takes off another half of your health bar. I've literally walked in died within four seconds. That's not hard to be hard, that's lazy-ass programming. It's a cramped room with a demon who can hit you from just about any part of it.

There needs to be more to a game's mechanics than, "Just hard". Believe me I'm an avid gamer, I don't put titles like casual or hardcore on it. If a game does something bad I'm going to call it out on it, I don't care its intended audience unless it's an age group. But when it stops being fun, it stops being a game.

The best way to fight the capra demon for me was run up the steps immediately and kill the dogs first. Then when he comes up the stairs you jump off. When he lands you have a few seconds to hit him but when he recovers you just repeat the process. Im pretty sure the dogs dont respawn too
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Quote from: Capone on January 23, 2012, 07:30:12 PM
Uncharted 2 is over-rated as well. I'm 7 chapters in and really feel no need to continue. The shooting, the climbing, the stealth, it's all like other games, but done half-assed. They tried to take in a ton of ideas from other games and put them together, but they never bothered doing a good job with it.

It's like a shitty variation of Darksiders, which was an awesome game and I wish people would stop bitching about how it pulled from other games.

I kind of agree, but even though I didn't like Uncharted 2, it did put together it's bland pieces well enough. Yeah, the mechanics for shooting weren't amazing or deep, but the appeal of it was the variety of situations. That's the only thing I can't fault for it. Take for instance an open level, full of half destroyed homes, multiple levels, gangways... a real shanty town, and it's full of soldiers, with a chopper circling overhead. This level was really well designed, in the sense it kept you moving. Outside? Chopper. Nearest house has two dudes. Sprint along walkways, running kick the guy a level below you without slowing down, shotgun the second, duck inside. But the walls gone, so you're not safe from the other guys, and need to take cover. Now a grenade gets tossed in, and you need to vault out the window. Oh no, chopper, again, quick, get inside again!

Really, this level was on par with Half Life 2: Episode 2's house siege scene, it was dynamic and quite frankly harrowing. It's just too bad the rest of the game couldn't pull off anything even close to this.

And Darksiders makes me laugh xD People love Zelda, and then hate Darksiders, for being exactly like Zelda... because when Zelda does it, for the 12th time, it's incredible! Nintendo are genius! But when Darksiders uses the exact same combat, puzzles, level design and world exploration, it's GENERIC and HALF ASSED and LAME! I love the logic there xD

Honestly, Darksider's biggest problem, and one of the only problems not nitpicky, is that the enemies need about three quarters of their life bars lopped off.

LunarSage

So how about that new game, Myst?  Gonna be something, for sure...  >.>

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2012, 08:23:50 PM
And Darksiders makes me laugh xD People love Zelda, and then hate Darksiders, for being exactly like Zelda... because when Zelda does it, for the 12th time, it's incredible! Nintendo are genius! But when Darksiders uses the exact same combat, puzzles, level design and world exploration, it's GENERIC and HALF ASSED and LAME! I love the logic there xD

Honestly, Darksider's biggest problem, and one of the only problems not nitpicky, is that the enemies need about three quarters of their life bars lopped off.

Totally agree on both points Sabby. For what its worth I like Darksiders but havnt played a Zelda game to completion since Links awakening (for those not in the know that was the one on the Gameboy). Yet people seem to hate it for no other reason then "its a Zelda clone" which I think is unfair to the game, at least the combat is more God of War-esque. Meaning its better done

Capone

Darksiders actually varies the formula by the third dungeon, though. I mean, that entire desert section is unlike a traditional Zelda dungeon in its nature, and after that the game doesn't feel like it follows the formula so precisely.

I think it rages me most because when Shadow Complex came out every "critic" praised it endlessly, despite the game being a clear Metroid rip-off.

Granted I don't have anything against that. Zelda and Metroid are perfect design templates to me. I love getting new abilities with which I can unlock secrets and gain more power-ups. It's linear, but feels open. I'd love more games like that.

I just wish "critics" wouldn't be so inconsistent.

Wolfy

Quote from: LunarSage on January 23, 2012, 08:40:39 PM
So how about that new game, Myst?  Gonna be something, for sure...  >.>

Myst isn't new....

Unless you meant that sarcastically......

Anyway....What am I playing?

Ooooooooh

Star Wars the Old Republic
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Deus Ex: GoTY
Sonic CD
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Front Mission Evolved

And countless others...I have so many games on my steamlist that I've downloaded but not installed that it's ridiculous.

Inkidu

I just don't like Darksider's for ripping off Zelda, God of  War, and Portal in the same game. :D

Seriously, it was just kind of boring. I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was just too bright in its design for its subject matter. :\

dready

Quick tip if you're having troubles with Dark Souls: Try a different strategy. I know from personal experience that you CAN dodge the Capra Demon's initial attack and his pair of hounds easy, then just run up the stairs to separate the hounds from Capra. You could also pick up a sorcery spell early on that basically wins you the fight since you can stand on a ledge too far away for the capra to hit you at the top of those stairs. You can always get a sturdy shield, since Heat shield is obtained earlier than the Capra fight.

Oh, and if you have to fight ghosts, you need to use an item that curses you. You can buy it from a store npc, but it's either the one that's below Firelink shrine or the one you find in the sewers.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2012, 10:36:37 PM
I just don't like Darksider's for ripping off Zelda, God of  War, and Portal in the same game. :D

Seriously, it was just kind of boring. I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was just too bright in its design for its subject matter. :\

That's another argument I lol'd at xD everyone whines that games are shades of brown and grey. Along comes Darksiders. WAHHH! THERES TOO MUCH COLOUR!

Inkidu

Quote from: dready on January 23, 2012, 11:19:41 PM
Quick tip if you're having troubles with Dark Souls: Try a different strategy. I know from personal experience that you CAN dodge the Capra Demon's initial attack and his pair of hounds easy, then just run up the stairs to separate the hounds from Capra. You could also pick up a sorcery spell early on that basically wins you the fight since you can stand on a ledge too far away for the capra to hit you at the top of those stairs. You can always get a sturdy shield, since Heat shield is obtained earlier than the Capra fight.

Oh, and if you have to fight ghosts, you need to use an item that curses you. You can buy it from a store npc, but it's either the one that's below Firelink shrine or the one you find in the sewers.
My problem is that the Capra demon starts out as basically a luck-based fight. You've just got to hope he isn't going to put one of those combos on you initially because his combos track. I finally beat him, my problem was he would kill me right off the bat so many times. Plus I'm a knight it would take way too long and scale my enemies up way too high if I went sorcery because I'd have to level it.

I don't know, I didn't think Dark Siders was a bad game, I just didn't like it. Maybe because they danced around God and Satan from the get-go. The story just didn't pull me in like it should have, and I haven't played a Zelda game since... well technically Spirit Tracks, but lets say Twilight Princess.

LunarSage

Quote from: Wolfy on January 23, 2012, 10:31:38 PM
Myst isn't new....

Unless you meant that sarcastically......

*chuckles*

I remember when it was new... does that count?

(Then again, I remember when Duck Hunt was new)

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on January 24, 2012, 07:23:54 AM
*chuckles*

I remember when it was new... does that count?

(Then again, I remember when Duck Hunt was new)
The best ridiculing-dog-on-hunter action ever.

Hemingway

With ME3 approaching, I decided to start up ME2 again, so that I'll have two saves ready the moment ME3 releases. I'm not sure whether I'll go with my Tali romance or my Liara romance first - because really, that's the only difference. I'm not into that renegade stuff.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 24, 2012, 05:37:51 PM
With ME3 approaching, I decided to start up ME2 again, so that I'll have two saves ready the moment ME3 releases. I'm not sure whether I'll go with my Tali romance or my Liara romance first - because really, that's the only difference. I'm not into that renegade stuff.
Actually, I'm setting up a renegade-with-a-heart-of-gold Shep.

Sure, she's a mean, terse colonist war hero, but she'll save the galaxy. It actually shows better in ME2 because they never have you chose between renegade and paragon actions (accept the one time) so she can do the good actions when it suits her.

-Save the Rachni queen.
-Saved the colonists on Xu's Hope
-Saved the Council
-Saved Conrad Verner from himself, even if she had to point a gun in his face to do it.

It's a really neat game, because it show that not all war heroes are nice and plucky people.
I also have a ruthless paragon, too.

EDIT: I think I'm done with Dark Souls for the present. I died fighting the Gaping Dragon, after it spammed me, so I go back and get one-shot killed by the basilisks, so not only am I down like 9K souls I'm cursed, my HP is halved. Like I said: You've got to have more than just difficulty and Dark Souls doesn't have it. There's got to be a drive to play the game and I'm not insecure enough a gamer to have to test my self against something that was developed by a team of sadists. 

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on January 24, 2012, 06:18:33 PM
EDIT: I think I'm done with Dark Souls for the present. I died fighting the Gaping Dragon, after it spammed me, so I go back and get one-shot killed by the basilisks, so not only am I down like 9K souls I'm cursed, my HP is halved. Like I said: You've got to have more than just difficulty and Dark Souls doesn't have it. There's got to be a drive to play the game and I'm not insecure enough a gamer to have to test my self against something that was developed by a team of sadists.

Wait, you died on the easiest boss in the whole game, got killed by curse frogs, and got cursed? Are you just continually rushing enemies without trying to learn their patterns or what?

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2012, 12:57:59 AM
Wait, you died on the easiest boss in the whole game, got killed by curse frogs, and got cursed? Are you just continually rushing enemies without trying to learn their patterns or what?

Isn't that how a real man plays?

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!

Brandon

Quote from: Wolfy on January 25, 2012, 12:59:58 AM
Isn't that how a real man plays?

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!

There are certainly times when rushing an oppoenent with an opportunistic strike grants you quick victory (or total victory) over an opponent but you have to learn the patterns of enemies before you can do that. I can take on just about any creature in the game with rush tactics but only because I know their tells and how they operate.

If you rush without that knowledge you'll more often then not get killed