What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

The customization bit doesn't make any sense to me. You can't customize pre-built Hawke ... not even things like eye color. It's odd. Especially considering Lady Hawke's ... strange eye color. Everyone in her family has brown eyes, she has blue. I have bad news for her.

Why restart, though? You can go to the Black Emporium and change your looks. If you have it, anyway.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 14, 2011, 02:20:51 PM
The customization bit doesn't make any sense to me. You can't customize pre-built Hawke ... not even things like eye color. It's odd. Especially considering Lady Hawke's ... strange eye color. Everyone in her family has brown eyes, she has blue. I have bad news for her.

Why restart, though? You can go to the Black Emporium and change your looks. If you have it, anyway.
Now eliminate option A, and you're left with why, grasshopper.

On the eye color thing. You never see the other half of the DNA so it is entirely possible. Ad in traits that skip generations and you've got why Hawke can look like anyone.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 14, 2011, 02:36:58 PM
On the eye color thing. You never see the other half of the DNA so it is entirely possible. Ad in traits that skip generations and you've got why Hawke can look like anyone.

It's more fun my way.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on March 14, 2011, 02:36:58 PM
Now eliminate option A, and you're left with why, grasshopper.

Now, if everyone in Hawke's family was blue-eyed, and she had brown eyes, you'd have a problem.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Hmm.

Having played through large parts of the game twice, I've taken a somewhat different approach, and ... well, my character is a warrior, using a two-hander. My first time, I had Aveline as a more or less permanent member of my party, as a tank. This time, I rarely use her at all. I have to say ... bringing a tank didn't really make it any easier. If anything, I'm finding it easier now, with two mages, a rogue and a warrior with a two-hander.

Edit:

( Spoiler for the quest Faith )

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
... Leliana? I ... did not expect that. It made me feel fuzzy inside. I love Leliana, despite her views. You know, chatting with the Maker and all. I hope I won't have to kill her. I'd be sad.

Wolfy

Oh, I have sad news for you, Hemingway.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You don't. :D Turns out she's part of the people that's tracking you down.

Hemingway

When I'm done with my first playthrough of DA2, I am so starting a new character in Origins. I might not get sucked in, but ... I do feel the urge to play it again.

Now something completely different. Is it just me, or are all the romance options bisexual?

Wolfy

Yup, they all are...though I think only the Hetero ones actually take off their clothes during the sex scenes. :/

Brandon

Quote from: Hemingway on March 14, 2011, 09:50:24 PM
When I'm done with my first playthrough of DA2, I am so starting a new character in Origins. I might not get sucked in, but ... I do feel the urge to play it again.

Now something completely different. Is it just me, or are all the romance options bisexual?

Yes, all of them are (or at least all the ones Ive found so far) and it should be that way. DA2 is supposed to be a roleplaying game and without the options to romance whoever you wanted no matter the sex of your character and partner it would have felt like the romance pigeon holing in DA: O. It was one of those rare instances that hurt the DA:O experience so Im pretty happy they put it in
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Nyarly

Mostly Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. In-between a bit Lighning Warrior Raidy.

Not exactly the best time to return here, but whatever.

Sabby

Hemingway

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on March 15, 2011, 10:29:56 AM
Wow, 100 pages... we all need a life xD

Hey I have a life, it just so happens that my leisure time is often spent playing video games (sometimes with my loved ones too).
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on March 15, 2011, 03:24:25 AM
Yes, all of them are (or at least all the ones Ive found so far) and it should be that way. DA2 is supposed to be a roleplaying game and without the options to romance whoever you wanted no matter the sex of your character and partner it would have felt like the romance pigeon holing in DA: O. It was one of those rare instances that hurt the DA:O experience so Im pretty happy they put it in
Eh... yes and no. Is it more realistic that Hawke can hit on every companion in the game? Yes. Is it more realistic that every character is bisexual so that Hawke can hit on them in the game? No. I have nothing against bisexuals or anything, it's just when it comes to it realistically you're going to have some people who are bisexual, some who are homosexual, and some that are heterosexual.

So as much as it ticks off story people or metagamers or whatever having everyone bisexual actually detracts from the actual role playing. It just seems like a cheap patch to stop people from yapping.
Again, I feel I must stress. I've got no problem with having homo or bi options for romance. I just don't think having everyone bi is the right solution.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on March 15, 2011, 03:02:16 PM
Eh... yes and no. Is it more realistic that Hawke can hit on every companion in the game? Yes. Is it more realistic that every character is bisexual so that Hawke can hit on them in the game? No. I have nothing against bisexuals or anything, it's just when it comes to it realistically you're going to have some people who are bisexual, some who are homosexual, and some that are heterosexual.

So as much as it ticks off story people or metagamers or whatever having everyone bisexual actually detracts from the actual role playing. It just seems like a cheap patch to stop people from yapping.
Again, I feel I must stress. I've got no problem with having homo or bi options for romance. I just don't think having everyone bi is the right solution.

But...we're talking about a Fantasy world. :D...Maybe everyone really is bisexual, deep down. :P

Well, Except for Sebastien, from the Exiled Prince. He's full Hetero, apparently.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on March 15, 2011, 03:19:31 PM
But...we're talking about a Fantasy world. :D...Maybe everyone really is bisexual, deep down. :P

Well, Except for Sebastien, from the Exiled Prince. He's full Hetero, apparently.
I don't think they mean that kind of fantasy, Wolfy. :P

Nyarly

I don't care about the romance options. I made Hawke have sex with Isabella, but romance with her... no, not interested.

The only one, I'd romance would be Bethany and she isn't romanceable for a reason. Or, in my case, for two reasons. The circumvention for the first would be incest and the circumvention for the second would be necrophilia.

Oniya

Necrophilia works better with guys.  After all, you want them stiff.

*flees*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on March 15, 2011, 03:39:03 PM
Necrophilia works better with guys.  After all, you want them stiff.

*flees*
Well what can I say? Dead girls think I'm sexy.

Brandon

I still think the option to romance whatever character you want should have been included. I think it helps with the roleplaying aspects of the game (sadly RPGs need more roleplaying these days). It is a bit unrealistic but Ill spare some realism for better roleplaying opportunities

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on March 15, 2011, 03:44:54 PM
I still think the option to romance whatever character you want should have been included. I think it helps with the roleplaying aspects of the game (sadly RPGs need more roleplaying these days). It is a bit unrealistic but Ill spare some realism for better roleplaying opportunities
Yeah, I don't think you can offer up something like that and still call it good role play, not bad but not good. Role playing is all about the realism your character brings into the game, and part of that is character interaction. After all having characters who don't react to what Hawke does in believable ways is just as bad as not having Hawke act in believable ways. Having everyone bi just because does not strike me as good role playing. Now the option flirt with them and get rejected because they're not bisexual. That's real role playing.

Wolfy

Look, Maybe Magic and the Darkspawn made everyone Bi-sexual. :P

Though..Is there a reason why you never see a female Qunari? I can't remember if there is...

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on March 15, 2011, 04:05:32 PM
Look, Maybe Magic and the Darkspawn made everyone Bi-sexual. :P

Though..Is there a reason why you never see a female Qunari? I can't remember if there is...
They stay in Par Vollen and are basically breeding stock I think. That is their place in the Qun.

Nyarly

According to TV Tropes, some people were disappointed that there are no female Qunari warriors in the game. Even though female Qunaris aren't even allowed to become warriors. Apparently, it's because the concept art promised "amazonian beauties".

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on March 15, 2011, 04:35:27 PM
According to TV Tropes, some people were disappointed that there are no female Qunari warriors in the game. Even though female Qunaris aren't even allowed to become warriors. Apparently, it's because the concept art promised "amazonian beauties".
I think people have plenty of other places to find horned amazonian women on the internet. :P