[INTEREST CHECK] Serenity/Fireflyverse, Miranda's Legacy

Started by writersmelody, October 21, 2010, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

writersmelody

I would LOVE to do a game set in the world of the series Firefly and its companion film Serenity. The game would take place after the events of the movie.

The revelation about the fate of Miranda's thirty million settlers was a heavy blow but it will take more than that to bring the bloated empire to its knees. At least the crew earned a desperately needed respite! Since most of their former allies were killed, finding jobs has been even more difficult than usual...

Basically, this is set pretty much right where the movie left off. I'd need people to take on the roles of Mal, Inara, Kaylee, Simon, Zoe, and Jayne. Plus maybe a couple other crew members who sign on for reasons of their own. Knowledge of the setting would be required.
- Writer's Melody

"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind." - William Shakespeare

(Specifically Seeking Someone to Write Solas)
(On/Offs)
(Absences/Apologies) (updated 2/9/24)

Scotty Rage

Okay, so as a huge fan of everything Firefly/Serenity (even one of the handful of proud owners of the RPG system) I would absolutely love to get in on this game.  I'd want the role of Mal, or Jayne as a secondary choice.  But Mal would be my first choice if it's open.

I'm desperately hoping that others would possibly want to join in this, since Firefly was only the most awesome show ever and deserves to have the story continued in some form or fashion.  ^_^

writersmelody

Mal is still open, the role is yours. :)

Thanks for your interest! Hopefully we get some more people interested.
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Sashira

I would like to play a Companion who signs onto the "Serenity" on the recommendation of her friend Inara, under the same arrangement as Inara (respectability for mobility.) I love the Firefly universe and characters but have trouble writing for canon characters in general.

Senel Coolidge

I would love to get involved in a Firefly setting roleplay, but like Sashira I would hesitate to take over a canon role. I doubt I would be able to do the characters from the series justice, if not to your satisfaction certainly not to mine.

I would like to claim the position of Pilot for the ship, but can pick up a weapon in a pinch. Also would have some underworld connections that could cause some trouble for the crew, old family issues and such. Very interested in this concept, I've been waiting for a group like this.

Writersblockade

Though my feelings mirror some of the others here, I would take a crack at Jayne...yeah...that'll work for me.

I know this is just an interest check, but anything you can tell me about expected post rate, length, and style would be appreciative. I just want to make sure I can deliver on what is needed.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Primarch

Ooh I've been looking for a "Wild West in Space" game, and Firefly fits that category quite well! Like Sashira I love the universe but I don't think I'd be able to do any of the canons rather well. So perhaps an OC? I've got a huge muse to play a space cowboy if there's room for another gun on board, perhaps with some other skill so he's not just a generic soldier type character XD

writersmelody

Wow, I am quite astonished by the interest!  Unfortunately I don't see this being a particularly large game.

We have a player for Mal and Jayne and River but we need some of the other canon characters as well- Zoe, Simon, and Kaylee. Inara would be fun but not a necessary addition. Perhaps she's away on a long-term assignment.

Senel Coolidge, a pilot would be welcome. A character like the one you're describing would be a good addition.

Sashira, that'd work just fine.

Writersblockade, the role of Jayne is yours. :)

Primarch, a character like that could be welcome. Maybe he's a former Alliance soldier who was discharged for some reason and is now looking for work of some kind or something.

I am not sure what category I would put this in, as I want a certain degree of freedom for players and the plot while not turning anyone away.

In the meantime, please fill out this brief form to give us some insight into your character.

Name:

Role:

Appearance: Two paragraphs, please, describe them like you would to a police officer.

Personality: Again, two solid paragraphs please.

Background:
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Primarch

Name: Chase Brannigan

Role: Muscle, Gun for Hire

Appearance:
"Oh yeah I saw the guy, he was like....maybe six one or six two? Wasn't all that broad, but looked like he could take care of himself, weighted maybe a hundred and eighty? Hard to tell really, he was wearing one of those browncoats and something underneath too, made him look bigger. He had long blonde hair too, didn't look like it suited him actually, he was like a rough and tumble lookin guy, but his hair was really nice, like really nice...and a scruffy goatee. Blue eyes too, I noticed that, and he had a cut going across his nose, horizontally just under his eyes. Heck if whatever had cut him had done it a little higher probably would have blinded him.

So yeah he was wearing the eh browncoat, it had a patch on the side but I didn't get a real good look at it...and he was wearin' a hat, you know...those ones with the high crown and a wide brim, lighter colour then the coat. Looked like he had been wearing his jeans and boots for a real long time, you could tell he had gone far in em, jeans were a bit faded, looked like they had seen lots of sand hitten'em hard. He was packin heat, on his left hip. The coat covered it up for the most part, but I spotted it! He was wearing a shirt too, just a regular old shirt. So....how about that drink?"

Personality: Chase Brannigan was at one point in his life a really nice guy, always glad to help out a friend or a stranger. You'd never see him without a smile on his face! That was then, this is now. Chase Brannigan put a great degree of himself into the Unification War, and when the Indepentants were crushed at Serenity Valley, so was he. He walked into hell, and didn't come back the same man. Where once his eyes sparkled with hope and playful wonder now there's a distant look, like he's never quite there. He's still willing to help people, but he expects compensation. He's among the best at what he does when he's sober, so there's usually a demand which he's glad to supply to, any noble or patriotic idea's don't tend to cross his mind anymore....its all about getting the pay so he can crawl back into the bottom of a bottle.

At his very core Chase is probably still quite a good person, but he put his faith in something that didn't work out, and it hit him hard. Most positive emotions appear to be quite drowned by negative emotions (and the hooch). He clearly has some loyalties to his old life as a ranger in the browncoats, as can be seen by the fact that he hasn't pawned his rifle and coat for booze money, he hasn't even re-coloured the coat as so many others did so they could forget. He's also quick to turn to fisticuffs when someone badmouths his old unit, the 66th Wailing Phantoms. He also still has the beret presented to everyone to completed their ranger training in the unit, but never wears it.   

Background: Chase was born on an Independent world, and it was real nice growing up there but all good things come to an end. After the destruction of Shadow the young Mr. Brannigan signed up to fight the good fight. In the army he started off as a scout, but soon got the trainings to become a ranger, learning all about long distance reconnaissance, how to shoot a man from so far away you could barely see him, or if needs be, how to punch him in the face and take out as many teeth as possible when you do. Not to mention all the general sneaking about and what not. Chase was good at it too, "the last thing you never saw" was the word about him. Of course, all the soldiers came up with ways to make themselves and their buddies sound as badass as possible, you could never rightly know when it was bravado. But when it came to Chase, watching him with his rifle was poetry in motion. He made a few extra bucks in between battlefields in boxing ring, soldiers do love to gamble.

The 66th Wailing Phantoms flew from world to world, engagement to engagement, all sorts of fighting going on and each time there was Chase, sneaking in behind enemy lines, sniping an Officer here, rescuing hostages there. For a while, he genuinely believed they could win. But eventually Serenity Valley came. Chase Brannigan is the solesurviving member of the 66th Wailing Phantoms, and even he was half dead when they dragged him out of a trench during the retreat. Serenity Valley wasn't the last battle of the war, but like so many others, it was for him. After the war Chase crawled back to a borderworld where he could make a living putting his killing trade to work, where he could sell most of his crap and drown his sorrows in cheap whiskey, slightly less cheap prostitutes and some smokes. At one point he tried to clean himself up, became a good natured soldier of fortune, a mercenary thinking he could make a shit whole system a little bit better. That didn't really work out and he became a drunk again, only sobering up when he needed to do a job so he could continue to pay for what he needed.

Having blown the brains out of too many people where he currently is, he's found himself increasingly unwelcome as he brings a bad element following him, people who want him dead for applying his trade on a friend or loved one....or he owes them money for something else. So with every wannabe, outlaw, gangster and pimp on his trail on that world, he's once again sobered up for a moment and gotten work on a ship, hoping to work for them to put enough money in his pocket to set himself up on another world.

writersmelody

LOL I was more referring to the detail in those two paragraphs. ;) But that is great, he'll make things interesting all right!

All right, folks, I'll get some threads up once I've figured out just what section this is going to go in. Any suggestions or thoughts?
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Writersblockade

That depends on the sexual element. I'm fine even running it without anything explicit.

Name: Jayne Cobb

Role:  Public Relations

Appearance:
“Well, see, there was this one guy. Big…not huge, no, but big. Like this…” the man says as he raises his hand to Jayne’s approximate height. “He did most of the talking, and none of it was very kind, I don’t mind telling you! He cold cocked the constable damn near off this rock and kissed Ms. Stevens over there fit to light a candle! His voice was firm…commanding…and mean! Bout as mean as ole Bruno was, bless him. He was my dog, officer, ‘bout as mean a sumbitch around til that Jayne feller showed up.

The man moved the bandage from above his eye, checked it, and then put it back on again “This cut? Well, I wish I could say I got it putting up a fight, but I didn’t. The man came through the door as I was trying to leave and bowled me end over ruttin end! Big guy…I didn’t think he even noticed until I heard him say ‘excuse me’. How do you like that? I bounce off of him like space dust off an Alliance cruiser, and he still gave me parting words…” He listened for a moment as he was asked a question “The direction they took…well…nosir, I can’t exactly recollect where they went…”

Personality:
  Jayne could be summed up in one of two statements. “Pay the man” or “Let the Wookie win”. He’s more than happy to give a piece of his mind, along with a piece of his boot as well. Sometimes he’ll even do both at the same time. He likes being paid, even when there’s no place to spend it. He’s not shy about going to the Captain to rustle up business when his pockets are empty, but after his earlier failed attempt to get side-action going while in Serenity, he’d learned to make do with certain patches of hard times.

What some would call foot in mouth, is what Jayne calls normal conversation. He does like to speak what he perceives to be the truth, and doesn’t understand why others can’t. Out in the black, there’s no one to judge, which seems to make people even more afraid, so Jayne views himself as more free than others in that respect. There are, however, certain things missing from his normal life that every so often turn to haunt him, and he throws himself into his work to have something to hit…a tangible target for his own pain.

Background: Jayne grew up with a degree from the School of Hard Knocks, with a Master’s in Not Taking the Easy Way. Everything he learned was wrong. He grew up learning to fight bullies, before he became one himself. Instead of the military, he learned firearms from whatever hare-brained militia would have him for the few months he stayed on. When the war was on, he made sure not to pick sides, and did the odd job for whoever had the credits to pay. After that particular well dried up, he ran with a family run thieving industry, but quickly changed sides when a better offer was made by Mal. Business was business, and his own bunk was a handsome incentive indeed. Now he bounces from rock to rock through the verse, high on the hog one minute, and picking meat off of bones the next, and though he’d barely tell anyone, he liked it that way…there was something comforting in it.

Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

writersmelody

I don't expect sex to be a HUGE part of the story but it is there. I may put this in Light, as that is generally where it will fall, and it can be moved if necessary.

Public Relations!!!! That is totally canon too, LOL. That looks great.
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Sashira

Name: Reena Chartraine

Role: Resident Companion

Appearance: Red curls to the middle of her back, pale porcelain skin, big blue-green eyes that are slightly tilted, betraying her mixed genetic heritage. A small frame - her wrists are tiny enough for a large man to grab both with one hand - but with generous breasts and ample curves at her ass and hips. Her astonishing looks made her family bargain to send her to the Companion's school at a young age, and when her figure began to develop the Guild realized that they had gotten their money's worth. She is not overly tall, being perhaps 5'5", and she emphasizes her height by wearing flat sandals. She is extraordinarily graceful in her movements and is an accomplished dancer. She has only been a practicing Companion for a few years, but she carries herself with a cheerful self-assurance.

Eyewitness account:
"I can't rightly tell you what her face looked like, it was all covered with a veil except for her eyes. But those eyes! I'll remember them forever, that blue-green color, gorgeous. She was wearin robes that covered pretty much everything South of her neck, but it looked like she had a body to match, and the way her hips swayed when she walked was just criminal. And her hair - mmm, I could sink my fingers into those curls all night, and - Well, excuse me, officer. I don't know what came over me, I'm a respectable man with a wife. Seeing her just took me awful funny."

Personality: Reena is much more fun-loving and less serious than her friend and one-time teacher Inara. Though it is a violation of the rules of the Companion's Guild, she will discretely have liaisons with the crew of the Serenity. She only relaxes when she is alone with the crew, and especially out in public she is modest (often wearing veils or otherwise covering herself.) She can assume any of a dozen personas depending on her client, fully committing to these very different roles. She can play a domme or a sub, a shy naive flower or a sexual goddess, an exotic mystery or a girl-next-door. With the crew, she tries to be more honest to herself, finding it refreshingly different than her varying personas at work.

Reena's usual demeanor with the crew is a cross between a flirt and a "little sister". (The exception is River, whom Reena is very gentle with, almost like a mother.) She is closest in personality to Kaylee, whom she gets along with very well; she is secretly jealous, however, of Kaylee's close relationship with the handsome Doctor, Simon. Simon is the male crew member that Reena is most attracted to, though she also finds the dominant male personalities among the others appealing. Being truly bisexual, Reena often fantasizes about various threesomes.

Background: When Inara returned to the Companion's Guild, she ended up teaching Reena in the course of the young Companion's training. The two became friends afterwards, and when Reena expressed wanderlust Inara suggested that she book into the "Serenity", under the same arrangement she had used. Reena has only been with the crew for a few weeks and is still getting to know them. She is still young enough to be very enthusiastic about her profession, which she sees as a great adventure.

She has been genetically modified to produce three times the normal level of sex pheromones, which powerfully affects humanoids and other creatures on a subconscious level. This experimental procedure, performed by the Guild, has made her so successful that they are thinking of making it standard. Her name, Reena (which she chose upon becoming a Companion) means "Precious Jewel" in Sanskrit, and that is what she is to the Companion's Guild - a very valuable property. She is of course excellent at many different Companion specialties, from massage to singing to applied politics to hypnosis. Her sexual skills earned top marks at the Companion's School.

writersmelody

That is a great start, Sashira! I'd very much like to see a little more detail in her personality.How does she feel about life on the road, so to speak? The crew of the Serenity?

And I'd also suggest working out any history between you and various other characters, bearing in mind certain things. ;) I'd also like to know how she came to be genetically modified. Maybe there was a call from The Academy and she volunteered?
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Sashira

I can add more detail to the Personality section, but working out her past relations with the crew is a little hard without knowing who's playing who, what they want their involvement with her to be, etc. For example, I would absolutely love to get Simon into bed, but if he wants to play it that he's faithful to Kaylee, I wouldn't want to interfere with his characterization.

writersmelody

You could always say she's got her eye on a few people in the crew and has made her interest clear but maybe things have been too hectic for anything to happen... yet.

And as you've seen, we've got a Mal and a Jayne already. I am going to have threads started tomorrow sometime.

I think it'd be interesting to have an Alliance mole on board at some point but with River's uncanny perception that'd be hard to pull off for long.
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Sashira

One last question: are the other three main canon characters (Simon, Kaylee, & Zoe) going to start as NPCs, or will they only added back into the crew/plot if we get players for them?

writersmelody

They will start out as NPCs. Hopefully we can find players for them soon!
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Kate

This has been attempted before and I did try an extreme character which makes me think I would like to try role playing this again (with lessons learned)

i would love to join as one of these two (my preference the first one but happy with either)

Natasha
Appearance: http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1600x1200/2008/Movies_Movies_A_Aeon_Flux_009394_.jpg

Former alliance covert operations. After learning of what happened Natasha realises the fate of her family as colonists there. The thought they became reavers shatters her view of the alliance and solidifies her determination to help any bucking their power. More luck htan anything else helped her track down Mal and she desires to join their operations and become one of their team.

She had stolen an expensive ship with her which she is happy to trade away for credits if need be, but currently contemplating the best use of it - either as a ship that joins them (which is smaller than firefly, has little cargo space but is very useful, phps can become stealthed for a short period of time. She can not fight like River can but she is very good with hacking and s highly familiar with alliance protocol and security measures.

(Very domme, very bi, very horny - would often visit the companion for times a little cruder than most, would prefer to be a hermaphrodite but happy with being normal also)

Simon
(I have never role played a male character before ( have done herms ) so I am not sure how good I would be at this (or if it would be better if a male did).

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/5921.gif

Simon frustration at not being able to heal river quickly is beginning to take its toll ... in increasing levels of personal perversion only those with medical know how can contemplate. All the time in the lab he has ... isn't just for rivers sake anymore.
Such is what happens when creative minds who are capable become ... a little too bottled up. (otherwise he is just like simon from the series)

writersmelody

I'd really like to see some more of the canon roles filled so while Natasha seems like an interesting addition, we really need Simon. :P

Also, this is going to start out in the Light category but may be moved, just so you're aware for Simon's explorations. ;)
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Kate

Primarch

Kate

then by the time this starts if none other choose him I play simon.

if someone does - i play Natasha ?

writersmelody

Correct! It'd be fabulous to have a Zoe and Kaylee as well.

While Inara would be a fun addition, she is a Companion so her absence is more easily explained.
- Writer's Melody

(On/Offs)

Writersblockade

Besides, with Sash's companion, we'd be all set with that end of things. I know how much of a pain canon can sometimes be, especially since I'll be watching Firefly again just to get a decent study of Janye (and also because it gives me a great excuse to watch it again ^_^) I would like to make the suggestion of Kate playing both characters if she's up to it. Let's all be honest, unless you get two people looking to seriously explore the relationship that Simon and Kaylee have, then the Simon character is basically the patch-em-up and babysit River type of guy. Mal wouldn't bother taking him on a mission unless he was backed into a corner, as he's their one doctor, and a trade that like is mighty powerful in the business they're in.

*smiles* Canon will always be an issue with people, because there's the fear of playing the character right, but mostly it's that people want to get out there and embrace the Verse that was created, with characters they've molded themselves. I would venture that you'd probably get a few more people interested if they could play their own characters. But I have been wrong before *nodsnods*

Remember Melody, this is your story, but I thought I'd at least put that bug in your ear. There's a junkload of ways to write off canon characters, and the one I'm thinking of now is:

Zoe, having lost her husband, has also lost her way with Mal. Her husband will never know that it was his love of piloting, not her devotion to her ex-superior officer, that kept her aboard Serenity. She left to avoid the pain of having to see his ghost on that ship, in all the things the new pilot would do.

Kaylee would be NPCed for fix-it jobs, and anyone playing Simon could use her as their plaything, because let's face it, if Simon held up some weird wardrobe wondering if Kaylee would wear it for him, she would most times *laughs* She had it bad!

Basically I'm asking that we not get tied too much to canon, because we can always keep the things that made Firefly great, even if we included new cast members.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!