Question on Roleplays(and roleplay requests)

Started by Roleplay Frog, March 29, 2012, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roleplay Frog

In the hope of someone who has the time picking this up:

I see that a lot of people make rather elaborate roleplay requests with their scenarios and worlds planned out rather extensively

But what if I don't have that, where do I go if I just have some general idea of what I want and the person I want to play things out with and want to meet others to work an idea out?

Or am I just expected to work out an entire scenario, (not that I can't of course, but I like to make it in a teamwork effort, plus I'm afraid of limiting people that'd otherwise be interested by not picking somehting they'd like as idea.)?

Avis habilis

Not at all. All we're asking for is at least the bare bones of an idea: "an X & a Y meet while doing Z", or "A & B team up to search for C". Something like that.

Roleplay Frog

I see, so it's more of a comfort and narrowing down of things. .. I'm not lazy; I just really think that a roleplaying scenario should be created by both(or if more) all participants to at least some degree.

Thankz either way.

NileGoddess

Quote from: Deva on March 29, 2012, 01:57:56 PM
I see that a lot of people make rather elaborate roleplay requests with their scenarios and worlds planned out rather extensively

A lot of it depends on the person, too. Personally, I like to see a lot of details or well thought out plans before I commit to a game. Pictures, specific plots, specific scenes, etc. In the past, I've joined games that were just too broad or basic, and I was struggling in them. When I would approach my partner, I would get replies along the lines of 'whatever is fine', and that would give me no motivation.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people can do fine with just that. Sometimes, I'll post a basic idea, then tailor it to the preferences of my partner and myself, and get something a little more specific.

Bottom line: there's nothing wrong with starting and/or staying simple.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: NileGoddess on March 29, 2012, 02:03:39 PM
Bottom line: there's nothing wrong with starting and/or staying simple.

Though perhaps I should first convince some people of the Awesomness that is Deva.

on hindsight I should not have named myself after my main char, It just makes me seem as if talking in the third position and a bit self conceited ~.~

NileGoddess

Quote from: Deva on March 29, 2012, 02:05:57 PM
on hindsight I should not have named myself after my main char
That's why I went with 'NileGoddess' and not 'Cleopatra'.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: NileGoddess on March 29, 2012, 02:08:10 PM
That's why I went with 'NileGoddess' and not 'Cleopatra'.

I'm think 'fluffy angel' was already taken *pouts*

Oniya

Quote from: Deva on March 29, 2012, 02:02:38 PM
I see, so it's more of a comfort and narrowing down of things. .. I'm not lazy; I just really think that a roleplaying scenario should be created by both(or if more) all participants to at least some degree.

Thankz either way.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of what plot-bunny is nibbling.  I've been known to drop something fairly detailed in my request thread, but then I've also been known to drop in something as vague as a pairing or a picture.  I've actually got RPs running from each approach currently.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Oniya on March 29, 2012, 04:15:35 PM
Sometimes, it's just a matter of what plot-bunny is nibbling.  I've been known to drop something fairly detailed in my request thread, but then I've also been known to drop in something as vague as a pairing or a picture.  I've actually got RPs running from each approach currently.

heh, perhaps I should just go ahead and give it a try.

Martee

You will find it depends on your partner as well.  I have quite happily jumped into a nearly completely fleshed out role because the entire detailed premise was just so interesting, and in other cases, my partner and I have conceived of everything entirely from scratch, together, with no posted prompt at all.

If you want to try and find people to RP with, but would prefer to build a scenario together, there is nothing wrong with contacting someone who has similar interests and suggesting you build a story together.  They may not say yes, but there's no harm in taking a chance.  :-)

Good luck!

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Roleplay Frog

Well there is something wrong, I'd have to read through lotsa people to find fitting matches, and I'm a lazy fuck.. We'll see what I do, infact two people pounced me cause they liked my on/offs so I'm content atm, thanks y'all:p

Oniya

As another person who is somewhat 'passive', might I suggest adding links to your request thread and your O/O thread into your signature?  I know that sometimes I've checked someone's interests just because they posted something interesting (but non-RP related) in another thread.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Oniya on March 31, 2012, 10:48:02 AM
As another person who is somewhat 'passive', might I suggest adding links to your request thread and your O/O thread into your signature?  I know that sometimes I've checked someone's interests just because they posted something interesting (but non-RP related) in another thread.

I guess I can put the big os in there, sure sure. . Am I passive if I don't want to bother people? .. hmnnn..  but sureth!