CHARACTER PROFILE TEMPLATE

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b] Position within PPDC

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[center][img]real-person-faceclaim-please[/img][/center]

[b]Positive personality traits:[/b] 3
[b]Negative personality traits:[/b] 3 (legitimate negative traits please)

[b]Pre-PPDC experience:[/b] Any relevant skills or careers from before becoming a member of the Pan Pacific Defense Corps
[b]Other skills:[/b]
[b]General Backstory:[/b]

JAEGER PROFILE TEMPLATE

[b]Code Name[/b]: English. Two words that may not be related. Just make it cool.
[b]Launch Date[/b]: The RP is going to start sometime in 2018. That's all you have to keep in mind if you want your first battle to be RP'd here.
[b]Classification[/b]: Mark II for slower, weaker machines with more experienced pilots. Mark IIIs for faster, stronger machines with newbs.
[b]Status[/b]: Active/Not Active/Rotting in a Closet/Killed in Action.
[b]Country of Origin[/b]: Pick one! Doesn't even have to be in the Pacific Rim!
[b]Height[/b]: Somewhere around 70-85 meters or so.
[b]Weight[/b]: Around 2000 tons, give or take.
[b]Appearance[/b]:
[spoiler=The swankiest ____ machine this side of the ____ hemisphere!]Put image or paragraph here! Need help finding a pic? Evangel can help![/spoiler]

[b]Equipment[/b]:
[i]Weapon Name[/i] - Does it go woosh or boom or stab?

Non-stop giant robot versus giant monster action set before the events of the movie. Experience the height of the Jaeger program and defend Japan from rampaging, blue-blooded hundred-feet tall monstrosities! Occasionally share vodka with the Russians! Alternatively, crush the humans under your paw! Play kickball with the Statue of Liberty's head! Ever wanted to roleplay a giant lizard screaming bloody murder? Here's your chance.

This RP will pick up from 2018 and focus on the vanguards of the Tokyo Shatterdome, who utilize original Jaegers to protect and defend the surrounding area. We will use the canonical events as a rough guideline. The main format for the RP will revolve around one or several Jaeger teams composed of two posters each fighting a Kaiju controlled by a GM or another player. Of course, if you want to be a supporting player that's fine as well.

To start off as a Ranger - declare if you would like to be automatically sorted with a partner or if you want to hook up with someone else. Collaborate with your partner regarding your characters and machine, and then post them here. After approval, archive them at the character thread for ease of reference.

Everyone else - Just post a character profile and then archive it after approval at the character thread!

Feel free to ask questions or comments!

NOTE - This is the same game as the other topic in the forum. Due to personal reasons, Primarch has resigned from the GM position of the game. Other members and I will be co-GMing so the game won't die.

Primarch

Name: Adam Sinclair
Nationality: Australian

Appearance:

Positive personality traits: Confident, sincere, amiable
Negative personality traits: Vulgar, bossy, impulsive

Pre-PPDC experience:
Before going through the Jaeger Academy, Adam was a member of the Royal Australian Air Force.
First Generation Jaeger Academy Graduate. 

Other skills:
Learned Japanese for his deployment to Tokyo.
Makes the best Creme Brulee you've ever had.

General Backstory:
After the first attack in 2013, Adam knew that global conflicts would be put on the back burner for the foreseeable future and it was apparent that the RAAF were not an effective means to stopping the Kaiju. When the Jaeger Academy opened he signed up as soon as possible, using his experience as a pilot to and recommendations by senior officers to speed his recruitment. After graduating in 2015 he was assigned to the Mark I Jaeger 'November Hitter.' In his original Jaeger he enjoyed moderate success before a 'FUBAR engagement and November was lost, along with Adam's original drift partner. He was re-assigned to the Mark II 'Vasa Centurion' shortly after. Although Vasa originally served in Australia, it was re-deployed to the Tokyo Shatterdome.

Name: Athena Metaxas
Nationality: Greek

Appearance:

Positive personality traits: Brilliant, thorough, disciplined
Negative personality traits: Standoffish, defensive, unconcerned about collateral damage

Pre-PPDC experience: Athena was still in university when the attacks began. She was a globally recognized prodigy in robotics when the end of the world began, but dropped off the world’s radar not long after.
Other skills:
Speaks Greek, English, and passable Japanese
Undefeated at chess (she’ll omit that she’s never played a master)
Steel thumb (able to diagnose and fix mechanical problems in record time)

General Backstory: Athena worked closely with her father, Aineas, on the Jaeger project even as a teenager, as her father valued her viciously intelligent mind as a filter for his own. He broke an untold number of laws and non-disclosure agreements to involve her, but her contributions were important enough that neither of them were punished. During her time on the project, she nearly completed dozens of degrees on the side, but was too caught up in Jaegers to finish any of them. She never formally graduated.
Her father was a prominent public figure for the Jaeger Project, and when he died of complications arising from his close work with the Jaeger reactors, many looked to Athena to take his place. She vehemently opposed this newfound interest in her opinions and personal life, but often found herself ordered to engage them, for the lack of anyone better suited to it. Aineas had been a jovial, personable man, much-loved by the public. Athena found this legacy difficult to uphold. When not thrust into the public eye, she can be found tinkering.

It occurred to me that my suggestions of mini kaiju and power armor go very well together. An influx of beasts too small for the jaegers would have to be met KB their own terms, since they'd just scurry around the huge limbs and weapons to swarm them otherwise.

evangel

Primarch - Looks fantastic!

Pretty good ideas. Got any unit images in mind for the power armors? There's plenty we could lift from Patlabor/Full Metal Panic. Also, new character/OOC threads are up. Gotta get to work on LOCCENT NPCs...

I do. I'll be doing write ups and post them tonight hopefully.

Vaulera

Oh! I just saw pacific rim the other day. I thought the acting was maybe some of the worst AAA acting of all time, but I loved the effects, the monsters, the ideas and the general concept. What should I do to start up Evangel?

evangel

Hey Vaulera! Glad you're here. Right now if you want to be a Jaeger pilot, what we have to do is find you a partner. Would you mind teaming up with the next applicant or do you already have someone else in mind? Once you have a team, go ahead and start working on your characters and then collaborating on your machine.

Vaulera

Nope! Next applicant is fine with me. Sexuality, Gender and all that doesn't matter, so whoever cares to works for me! It'll be cool to participate. By the way, didn't know that you hosted group games too Evangel.

Ember Star

*flutters in to bookmark* Rev and I are working on characters.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

evangel

Awesome, Ember!

Also this isn't really my idea, it's Primarch's. I just volunteered to run the game when he couldn't. It's my first game as host but fortunately, quite a few are co-GMing with me. So grateful this RP's attracting a lot of chill people.  8-)

Vaulera

Hey now, most of E is chill people, or people who are just plain nice.

Evil Tim

Name: Kevin Blake

Nationality: American

Appearance:

Positive personality traits: Loyal to his friends, quick thinking on his feet, doesn't give up

Negative personality traits: Short fuse, reckless, gets fixated on killing the Kaiju

Pre-PPDC experience: A former Green Beret who joined the PPDC after his family was killed in a Kaiju attack on Los Angeles. 

Other skills: Is passable in Japanese, Russian, and Chinese

General Backstory: Kevin was in Afghanistan when the first Kaiju attack hit the United States.  After being called back Stateside, Kevin moved his family down to south California to the city of Los Angeles, thinking it would be safe from the attacks.  He was wrong.  The next Kaiju attack that hit the United States hit Los Angeles, and Kevin's wife and daughter were killed when the Kaiju collapsed the bridge their car was stranded on.  As soon as the Kaiju was killed, Kevin went and joined up with the PPDC.  His obsession with killing Kaijus and avenging his family almost made his mental state inappropriate for the Jaeger program, but his quick thinking and adaptability allowed him enough leeway to get through the exam despite his questionable mental state when facing a Kaiju.

Compatibility tests showed that Kevin was most compatible with fellow California resident Derrick Cines, despite the two of them having never met once before joining the PPDC.  They were given the Jaeger Grave Digger, a pure black Jaeger with a white skull like head.  Derrick controls the left arm which  houses a mount for three lashing chains that lash onto the Kaiju and draw them in close, where it is finished off by Kevin and the right arm, which wields a razor sharp scythe weapon.

Swordsman18

Name: Derrick Cines

Nationality: American

Positive personality traits: Loyal, dutiful, charming

Negative personality traits: Arrogant, reckless, guarded at times

Pre-PPDC experience: He was a mixed martial artist known for beating his opponent quickly even if he took a few blows himself. Derrick got himself to be ranked pretty high in the MMA circuit being in the top 20.

Other skills: Before he had become an MMA fighter, he had been working as a mechanic. So there are times where he joins the crew to work on the Jaegers and understanding how they work from a mechanical standpoint.

General Backstory:
Derrick grew up on the streets of South Central LA. It was a hard life of living in the hood trying to avoid going to the easier methods of earning money. One day when he was a teenager, he slipped and nearly ended up in juvenille hall but instead was forced to do community service from the person he tried to rob. That person happened to own a boxing gym. It was through having to clean, work and nearly live there that he decided to take up the trade.

He quickly gained rank and status in the local area but felt as though he was headed towards a ceiling where he could not advance. So he began the grueling training of MMA. A few years later after he had gained some kind of a rank in it, the Kaiju attacks began. One of the first nearly cost him the girl he had been dating for about a year.

The Pan Pacific Defense Corps then began to recruit for the Jaegar program. Since it would provide protection for him and a couple of his loved ones, as well as allow him to fight Kaiju, he joined up ready to fight. Now he pilots the Grave Digger with Kevin Blake using their signature "The Call of the Grave" attack.

Revenent

Here's mine, unless Ember disapproves of it in the PM I sent her, in which case I'll have to change it:

Name: Daigo Tanaka
Nationality: Japanese

Appearance:

Positive personality traits: Hard-working, Helpful, Disciplined
Negative personality traits: Prideful, Short-tempered, Traditional

Pre-PPDC experience: Police officer, pilot in the Japan Air Self-Defense Force.
Other skills: -Talented baseball player from high school career.
-Strong PR skills (interviews, public image, etc.).
-Good at navigating without instruments. Can perform some on-mission repairs in an emergency.
-Passable English, but refuses to use it on home soil, believing those who work at the Tokyo Shatterdome should know Japanese.

General Backstory: Born to an Okinawan police officer and his wife, Daigo was raised in a very traditional Japanese style, being taught only to show full trust to his family and neighbors, and always to be wary of outsiders. In the modern era, only some of this mentality managed to stick in the boy, but he still idolized his parents and did whatever he could to emulate their example, playing baseball in school just like his father had and joining the police academy as soon as he was out. Still, Daigo spent only a couple years as a police officer before he decided to put his athletic and intellectual skills to better use. He joined the air force just into his twenties and became a fairly talented pilot, forming a close friendship, trust, and amicable rivalry with a female pilot in his squadron.

Daigo took much pride in his service for the next several years, completely certain that he and his partner could take down any kaiju that dared to approach Japan, but the attack of Onibaba proved him dead wrong. Most of his squadron was wiped out, and he barely made it out alive as Onibaba completed ignored their attempts to bring him down. It took a British-piloted Jaeger to finally bring the beast down, a fact that shames Daigo to this day. He couldn't stand for the fact that Japanese defense had to be left to foreign Rangers, so, as soon as his injuries had recovered, he immediately signed up for the Ranger program along with his partner, where his set-in-his-ways style nearly prevented him from passing. Now he works out of the Tokyo Shatterdome, acting as a symbol of Japanese resistance to the kaiju threat.

Evil Tim

Quote from: Karma on August 01, 2013, 12:17:49 PM
It occurred to me that my suggestions of mini kaiju and power armor go very well together. An influx of beasts too small for the jaegers would have to be met KB their own terms, since they'd just scurry around the huge limbs and weapons to swarm them otherwise.

I'd just like to say I really like this idea.  Fighting something like a baby Kaiju in an single-pilot power suits would be really fun to do, especially if the power suits were more customized per person than the Jaegers.

Yeah, I was planning to have them be a core skeleton designed by Athena, with the arms and armor being customizable.

evangel

Question Mark

Oh shit, gone for a day or two and look at what happens.

I hope y'all didn't start without me.  I didn't see my name in the character list up top, so here's my character sheet again.

Name: Dr. Ryan Kodo
Nationality: Chinese/American

Appearance: Standing at 165cm, Dr. Kodo has a lithe and compact frame.  His often messy black hair is kept somewhat short, his scraggly beard more-or-less in check.  He has a single small gauge in his left ear, and a black tattoo on his right jaw hidden beneath his beard.

Positive Personality Traits: Attentive, easygoing, empathetic
Negative Personality Traits: Callous, habitual, lazy

Pre-PPDC Experience: Earned his Bachelors, Masters, and PhD at Boston University, working in neurobiology, specifically neural-machine interfacing.  Worked through post-docs in Boston and Tokyo, conducting research on electrical trauma to human neurons and the transfer of impulses from neuron to circuit, respectively.  After securing a position as an assistant professor at Tokyo University, Onibaba attacked the city, wounding Kodo and killing hundreds of thousands of others.  Although he had previously considered the Kaiju fascinating and a passing novelty, the stark reality of Onibaba's attack prompted Kodo to join the PPDC.  He originally worked on research into improving the Drift, but was eventually recruited as a Ranger.

Other Skills:
Trilingual (Mandarin, Japanese, English)
Wushu (Chinese martial art), especially Zui Quan (Drunken Fist)
Excellent swimmer
Extensive knowledge of neurobiology

Bio: Born in China, moved to Boston before his first birthday.  Normal childhood, won several Wushu tournaments as a teenager, and even participated in one in China (5th place).  Attended BU, etc. etc.

Some extra notes regarding metagaming.  I don't care who Bo gets paired up with, or if he starts a new Jaeger, or whatever.  However, I do have a few suggestions for names: "Virtue Omicron," "Succinct Kami," "Kami Eternal," "Paladin Bushido," and "Samurai Tango."  All are Japanese, except for Virtue, which can be any nationality.

I also have no opinion regarding how close we stick to canon.  Whatever works best for you guys.

As a stellar roboticist, Athena made many invaluable contributions to the Jaeger project. Other scientists were busy with the man-machine interface, to the point that it became an almost spiritual endeavor. Athena had no interest in this, and felt as if it were cheating to integrate the nervous system directly into the mech. She was of an older school, one that much preferred the feel of buttons, pedals, and joysticks. There was a certain empathy to be found with machines built with your own two hands, and when you literally became the machine, all of that value was lost.

In university Athena had been at the forefront of powered armor research. At the time, there were only rudimentary prototypes, with much work remaining to be done particularly in the field of active balancing in the heat of combat. All of that changed with the Jaeger program, however. The global gloves were off, and all the money they ever needed was pouring in. When they were finished balancing a series of 80 meter tall mechs, it was no struggle for Athena to get 4 meter tall powered armor to stand stable in any situation.

Thus was born Athena’s pet project, the Kaempfer series. Instead of a cockpit, the suits open from the back, allowing the “pilot” to climb into a person-shaped alcove. When the suit closes, it becomes an extension of themselves. There is no neural interface, however; it’s pure motion amplification, and instead of force feedback, the suits have HUDs, and instead of thought-driven weaponry, there is an array of controls at each limb. The suits are highly customizable. Athena designed a core skeleton with a multitude of attach points for armor plating, each running power for any equipment the user might desire, as long as they could provide it.

Her own prototypes were workable shortly after Brawler Yukon was completed, and were rapidly adopted by the PPDC for use in Jaeger construction and maintenance. As more Kaempfers were completed, they found homes all across the world, prized for their versatility, though they were expensive in their own right. Tokyo Shatterdome, as one of the most well-stocked domes on the Rim, has several, all in pristine condition and ready for modification thanks to Athena being on site.

Lucent Djinn, Athena’s personal model. According to her, it’s the fastest and most silent Kaempfer on the planet, though she uses it to tinker on Jaegers vastly more than she takes it into combat. Focused mainly on melee.

Powered armor in “factory” configuration.

Powered armor was not Athena’s only diversion. While the Drift was still in its early phases, much work was done on Jaegers piloted through traditional means. This proved implausible in the short term, as reaction times were too slow, prone to getting the pilot killed and the machine destroyed. The Drift was a shortcut, according to Athena, a cheat that turned the Jaeger into a slave and robbed it of its identity. Her philosophical views on piloting were irrelevant to her superiors, of course, and did little to save the world at the time. The unit that was farthest along in traditional development was given to her to do as she pleased once the Drift was chosen as the future of the Jaeger program. Its systems were far too integrated to be refitted with a Drift cockpit, and it served to silence her for a time. Years later, she has made some progress on it, arguing that its performance with a single pilot outmatches a single-pilot Drift Jaeger. Until it can stand on even keel with a dual-pilot Drift, however, it will remain as a curiosity, little more than a pet rock to keep one of their best minds from straying too far.

Immaculate Shogun

Revenent

Ooh, I just had an idea for a Kaiju that could take advantage of the whole power armor thing. Maybe I'll see about playing it early on.

SargentToughie

So I heard about this RP from a friend, and as somebody who's a colossal sucker for anything involving Giant Robots, along with having enjoyed the movie, I'll just go ahead and throw my hat in as somebody who'd be interested in taking part, should room open up for me. The way I see it right now, everybody has partners, so I'm not going to mix things up trying to force my way in. If somebody else shows up though, I'll just go ahead and leave my name here as somebody in reserve.

Hope you guys have fun either way, and I hope to talk to you guys again soon.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

evangel

Ramsey, the new background looks superb. Daigo's profile is pretty much A-class! Mr. Cines' profile looks real nice as well. Lots of people with vengeance in their minds. And yeah, Question Mark. I wasn't sure if you were still in or not, but we still definitely have room for you! I just need an expanded back story and it will be good to go.

Also Sargent, I think Mr. Kodo does require a partner at the moment. I think you'll be just fine sticking around here, dude. Question Mark, would you be cool with working with SargentToughie?

Quote from: KarmaAWESOME STUFF

asflaskjdslkjaskf;WOOOI mean, excellent work. Good choice picking units with weaponry that are pretty much up-scaled IRL guns with a few more gizmos on them. I can't wait.  ;D

I flipped through a lot of mechs trying to find ones with hips that wouldn't shatter yours when you got into them. *laughs*

For funsies, here's the original MS-18E Kaempfer from Gundam 0080. Wouldn't be surprised if someone wanted to use it.

evangel

That part is pretty important. Incidentally, do you guys mind filling out profile templates for your Jaegers? Here's an example.

Quote from: Example!
Code Name: Oratorio Mayhem
Launch Date: June 7, 2017
Classification: Mark III
Country of Origin: Argentina
Height: 75 Meters
Weight: 2,010 Tons
Appearance:
The swankiest Mk. III machine this side of the western hemisphere!

Equipment:
Murakami-Madison XMS Mk. II Multipurpose Launchers - Shoulder-mounted projectile delivery systems designed to fire off everything from missiles that go boom to missiles that go fwoom. Two individual tubes are positioned above each shoulder and fully equipped with redundancy measures to ensure perfect operation through storm and snow.

Stonewell XVC-7 "Broadsword" Assault Mount - Retractable blades stored in the Jaeger's forearm, capable of emitting heat to cauterize Kaiju wounds and stumps after slicing something off. Imperfect materials meant that the Broadsword has a limited operating time of three minutes before the system malfunctions.

TEMPLATE:

[b]Code Name[/b]: English. Two words that may not be related. Just make it cool.
[b]Launch Date[/b]: The RP is going to start sometime in 2018. That's all you have to keep in mind if you want your first battle to be RP'd here.
[b]Classification[/b]: Mark II for slower, weaker machines with more experienced pilots. Mark IIIs for faster, stronger machines with newbs.
[b]Status[/b]: Active/Not Active/Rotting in a Closet/Killed in Action.
[b]Country of Origin[/b]: Pick one! Doesn't even have to be in the Pacific Rim!
[b]Height[/b]: Somewhere around 70-85 meters or so.
[b]Weight[/b]: Around 2000 tons, give or take.
[b]Appearance[/b]:
[spoiler=The swankiest ____ machine this side of the ____ hemisphere!]Put image or paragraph here! Need help finding a pic? Evangel can help![/spoiler]

[b]Equipment[/b]:
[i]Weapon Name[/i] - Does it go woosh or boom or stab?