News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[Full] D&D 3.5e game - dungeon crawl

Started by Combicon, April 15, 2009, 05:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

Alright, well, the last character sheets we need are Rubyslippers, goalts and xillens.

Inkidu

I'm an archer so I'm not too worried about getting in the fray.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vandren

Based on HP and AC, I'm guessing Durias is going to be the front line so far . . . I'm kind of amused that the mage (and cleric) is the probable front line.   :-)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Xillen

Well, I hope Goalt wants to be the tank, because my stats (9 11 12 13 14 17) are so underpowered compared to others, that I'm not planning on rolling one myself.

Vandren> anything with an 18 and 2 17s is probably gonna excel at most stuff anyhow... You'd be a 55 point buy character if we were using pointbuy. That's just insane.

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on April 16, 2009, 03:25:19 PM
Based on HP and AC, I'm guessing Durias is going to be the front line so far . . . I'm kind of amused that the mage (and cleric) is the probable front line.   :-)
That's life.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vandren

I dunno Xillen, a pretty good fighter could come out of 9 11 12 13 14 17 . . . or maybe I'm still in old AD&D 2nd ed mode there.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Xillen

Vandren, I could roll a decentish fighter with those stats, in a party with likewise stats.

But it doesn't make sense at all if the caster has a better armor ON TOP OF having pretty much max for both his caster stats...

Vandren

Dunno.  I just slapped together a pretty good Half-Orc fighter with those stats in about 5 minutes.  Add 2700 gp of gear . . . Full Plate and Heavy Shield (+10 armor) with a little under 1200 left over.  With the 17 in Dex, that's a 23 AC.  (Assuming Human, it's not so good, but depending on race it could be made to work well.)

Xillen

I already have much lower stats than the rest of the party, and you suggest I pick the race with the weakest stats?

Vandren

No, that's just the one I used.  *shrug*

I'm just tossing out suggestions for working around the roll.  Trying to use a few decades of D&D experience to help.

Just for note, the one's Ruby rolled up come to 53 in point-buy.  And Inkidu's rolled up to 44 in point-buy.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xillen on April 16, 2009, 03:46:27 PM
I already have much lower stats than the rest of the party, and you suggest I pick the race with the weakest stats?
What are you playing?

Combicon

I feel that it would be in the best interests of players if we swapped to a point-buy system instead.
We'll be using 22 points.
For anyone who doesn't know, one point is worth one ability level, so you could have a generic character in all abilities, or a high-leveled character in one or two abilities, and less so in all others.
Hopefully this will nullify most of the problems so far.

Vandren

Quote from: Combicon on April 16, 2009, 09:18:48 PM
For anyone who doesn't know, one point is worth one ability level, so you could have a generic character in all abilities, or a high-leveled character in one or two abilities, and less so in all others.

So a straight one-to-one?  Or the DMG scale?

DMG Scale
9 -14 = 1 pt. / level
15 = 8
16 = 10
17 = 13
18 = 16

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on April 16, 2009, 09:27:30 PM
So a straight one-to-one?  Or the DMG scale?

DMG Scale
9 -14 = 1 pt. / level
15 = 8
16 = 10
17 = 13
18 = 16
She upped it to the answer to the universe and everything (42)

Vandren

Quote from: Inkidu on April 16, 2009, 10:00:26 PM
She upped it to the answer to the universe and everything (42)

Yep . . . so the DMG scale's the way to go.  One-to-one with 42 would lead to straight 15s for stats.   :-)

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on April 16, 2009, 10:02:58 PM
Yep . . . so the DMG scale's the way to go.  One-to-one with 42 would lead to straight 15s for stats.   :-)
I have no idea what you just said.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Combicon on April 16, 2009, 09:18:48 PM
I feel that it would be in the best interests of players if we swapped to a point-buy system instead.
Hopefully this will nullify most of the problems so far.

And best interests for who seems most of us like the stats we have and characters. If I rolled worse I would have kept the stats and did the best I can but since my character is great its not in my best interest to drop her great stats to that. I even ran a character that lasted awhile with a total stat bonus of -3, as in of all six stats they totaled -3.

9 11 12 13 14 17 are very decent stats.

Xillen

It's more about the difference in stats than the stats themselves. It's no fun having players with 18's and 17's, while others are running around with 13's. 13's on themselves are not the problem.

Also don't link Combi's comment to my stats directly. It's her decision, not mine (I personally wouldn't make such a drastic change after starting).

Anyhow, if Combi insists on using pointbuy, it works like this. You have a certain number of points (Combi seemed to go for low-powered so 22 points total). You use those 22 points to buy 6 scores, and assign each score to one ability stat of your choice. Apply racial modifiers afterwards.

Score 8 costs 0 points.
Score 9 costs 1 point.
Score 10 costs 2 points.
Score 11 costs 3 points.
Score 12 costs 4 points.
Score 13 costs 5 points.
Score 14 costs 6 points. (So up to here it's reasonably cheap)
Score 15 costs 8 points.
Score 16 costs 10 points.
Score 17 costs 13 points.
Score 18 costs 16 points.

Inkidu

She raised the total to 42 as 22 was far too low.

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: Inkidu on: Yesterday at 08:50:10 PM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »
   Reply with quoteQuote ReplyReply Remove this messageRemove
Gah, you're right.
Sorry.
I took one from the DMG.
Lets go with 42 points then. 20 more points. :D

Vandren

Quote from: Xillen on April 17, 2009, 04:50:47 AMIt's more about the difference in stats than the stats themselves. It's no fun having players with 18's and 17's, while others are running around with 13's. 13's on themselves are not the problem.

They shouldn't be a problem in the first two sentences scenario either, with some creative usage and racial modification.  I've played in that role myself in the past and it's worked out nicely and been fun.  But that's neither here nor there anymore.

QuoteAlso don't link Combi's comment to my stats directly. It's her decision, not mine (I personally wouldn't make such a drastic change after starting).

Actually, it's directly tied to the complaints.  And indirectly tied to them in that, if the complaints weren't there, the change wouldn't have occurred.

Now, personally, I was happy with the luck that I had.  But that's ok because I like point buy (hey, I'm a GURPS guy by preference and the lack of control in a straight roll was always one of my problems with AD&D, along with classes and alignment) and I'm happy with the redone stuff for the character.

Anyway . . .

The new point buy Durias (single class wizard)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=120595

Xillen

Now I'm confused. Is it 22 or 42 points? :P Durias' character seems to be using 38 points :P

So we have Durias as the arcanist, Inkidu as the ranged attacker, Ruby as the rogue, which leaves Goalt and myself. I'll probably go for something with at least some healing capabilities (Cleric or Paladin), unless goalt goes for that.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xillen on April 17, 2009, 07:55:53 AM
Now I'm confused. Is it 22 or 42 points? :P Durias' character seems to be using 38 points :P

So we have Durias as the arcanist, Inkidu as the ranged attacker, Ruby as the rogue, which leaves Goalt and myself. I'll probably go for something with at least some healing capabilities (Cleric or Paladin), unless goalt goes for that.
Me too :p but I'm the newb...

Vandren

Let's spell this out simply . . .

Go back to Reply #94 (by Inkidu).
Read Reply #94.
Notice that Reply #94 quotes a PM from Combicon
Read the quoted PM.
Question answered.

Inkidu

I'm not sure what happened to the stats on your character sheet, but Everett was at 44 points (by point buy), which means that modification to 42 points is simple.  Basically two of his stats rated 14 or lower would drop one level, one rated 14 or lower would drop two levels, or a stat rated 15 or 16 would drop one level.

In Point Buy, all attributes start at 8 and go up from there on a scale that both Xillen and I have posted here.  (Replies #93 and #88)

Inkidu

Quote from: Vandren on April 17, 2009, 08:43:07 AM
Let's spell this out simply . . .

Go back to Reply #94 (by Inkidu).
Read Reply #94.
Notice that Reply #94 quotes a PM from Combicon
Read the quoted PM.
Question answered.

Inkidu

I'm not sure what happened to the stats on your character sheet, but Everett was at 44 points (by point buy), which means that modification to 42 points is simple.  Basically two of his stats rated 14 or lower would drop one level, one rated 14 or lower would drop two levels, or a stat rated 15 or 16 would drop one level.

In Point Buy, all attributes start at 8 and go up from there on a scale that both Xillen and I have posted here.  (Replies #93 and #88)
I'm going to wait to here back for Combi on this one.

Combicon

Quote from: Vandren on April 17, 2009, 08:43:07 AM

Yeah, that was my mistake there, I wasn't thinking much when I told him that it didn't. Heh...