Walking Dead, Characters You Love, Characters You Hate.

Started by Kane, April 01, 2014, 10:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

I just thought I'd make this thread now that we've finished season 4. (I am sad.)

My top 3 favourite characters in the series.

Good guys:
1. Rick Grimes: I guess this is a bit of an obvious and unoriginal choice. However, no other character in the series has anywhere near as much depth as Rick does, obviously, this comes as a given for being the 'main character'. It's easy to feel empathy toward a character that feels as alive as Rick does.

2. Carol Peletier: Speaking of depth, I would say that from the crew after Rick, Carol would easily be the next one. She has grown as a character through the series, and took it upon herself to make the hard decisions when Rick wouldn't.

3. Daryl Dixon: I'll be surprised to see a list by anyone without Daryl in it. I don't think Daryl was ever supposed to survive this long, but he has deservedly become the fan favourite with his antics, though his recent, short-lived alliance with the marauders ended up not contributing much to the story. I think it was already clear where his loyalties are.

Honorable mention: Glenn Rhee. I said Rick is the one I feel the most empathy toward, but I find Glenn to be the one I can relate to most.

Bad Guys
1. The Governor: Another obvious choice. No one else has the same kind of presence. No other bad guy has similar depth. The only chink in his armour comes in the shape of killing Hershel. Whatever the reason for getting rid of Hershel was, it should have been done by someone else. The way Governor killed Hershel was out of character, in my opinion. Still, The Governor faces no competition here.

2. Lizzie: While technically not a baddie, rather a sick puppy, what she did took me by surprise and shocked me. If a character manages to do that, it's a job well done.

3. Shane: I hated this guy with a passion, more than I hated Merle. It was a tough choice between the two, but I figured a villain is successful when he makes me hate him.

Favorite New arrival(Season 4)
It has to be between Eugene Porter and Tara. Though Tara has made a bigger impact in the show so far, she's spent the second half of the season moping around, Eugene in the other hand, has offered mainly comic relief. Though, comic relief is sort of refreshing in the murky world of the Walking Dead. I will go with Eugene here, and Tara as a close second.

Also, I'll give you a character I dislike: Carl. Carl just generally makes absolutely no sense. I just can't get my head around the character.

So that's my list, what's yours?

Iniquitous

Daryl Dixon was not in the graphic comic, thus, how long he has made it is completely up to the screenwriters and directors. Just as the baby, Judith, was not supposed to be alive at this point (makes me wonder if Judith will be a casualty of Terminus since the character is expendable and, well, a hindrance).

I am glad ass kicking Rick is back. I was tired of mopey, unable to make decisions, whiny Rick. (I approve of the show staying true to his snapping scene during last week's episode. brutal, savage but needed) I'm wondering how badly Carl will be screwed in the head after almost being raped and then Terminus.

Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Bamagirl

I think up through season 2 Shane was probably my favorite. He had some flaws, and he was rough and a little slow. But those aren't always negative qualities. His heart was totally in the right place with Lori and Carl. The world after the end is bound to be a simpler place with only the complications of our own pre-fall value systems. For Shane it was easy, take care of the people you love, no matter what. His confrontation with Rick was inevetable from the time Rick woke up in the hospital.

I also really liked Herschel. He had some of Shane's faults too for a while, ready to throw the living off his farm to protect what he cared about. And they were dead!  I really dig that the show used him as a scale for weighing moral consequences, and that in the end he turned to the book for guidance and solace. In the last episode of season 4 the other night (no real spoiler here) the flashback where he was talking about giving his watch to Glenn, and "ever since the time is right now," was also a great scene. I hope that in season 5 we get a few more flashbacks showing us this amazing character.
Ons/Offs     Requests     A/A

Mathim

I like Glenn since he's pretty consistent between the show and comics. I've always had a soft spot for Michonne, where it's like at first when you meet her, she's the very last person you'd ever think to trust and yet she becomes one of the most heroic people in it.

I hated the Governor for so many reasons, he's a lot worse in the comics but the show did a good job of making him an utter bastard too. He's a great villain to be sure, but I hated his guts anyway.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Bloodied Porcelain

Characters I love:

Daryl will always be my favorite because frankly, he's an awesome character. I think he's got a lot more depth and potential than people give him credit for, and I absolutely love the journey he was taken on last season. I look forward to seeing him start to really find himself in the upcoming season (which is what this past season hinted at coming... you have to be completely lost before you can begin finding yourself).

Carol is another favorite. It's good to see someone who will just knuckle down and do what needs doing and not let all the moral shit get in the way, but is still subject to all the conflicting feelings that go along with said moral shit. She muscles through things like it's no one's business and looks out for the greater good.

Michonne is a character I love. I find her relatable, but not so much that she bores me. I'm always curious where her head is gonna go next. And I love the way they're going about revealing her history.

Oddly enough, I enjoy Bob. I'm still feeling him out so to speak, but so far, so good. His personal struggles are a great way to make it clear that people can and often will continue to carry their baggage in the apocalypse.

I ADORED The Governer. He was brilliantly written and the acting was top-notch. I really hated that he died, even though I knew his plot arcs needed to end so we could move on before things got stagnant.

For characters I really don't like:

Lizzie: Didn't much like her. Saw that ending coming a mile away. All the signs were there. I feel like one of the only people who called it weeks before it happened. I think I'd have liked her more if it wasn't so damn obvious what was coming.

On The Fence:

I don't really know how to feel about Rick, to be honest. I kind of just want him to die already. I feel like his effect on things would be a lot more interesting if he died and we got to watch everyone try to cope. Even with the 180 they did with him in the season finale, I'm just kind of bored of the character. His development is so pathetically easy to anticipate I just tend to watch him because he has others around him that I find far more deep and complex by comparison.

Carl is a character I have a love/hate relationship with. He's a typical teenage boy and so he does a lot of typical teenage boy shit... things you know are stupid, but he's just cocky enough to think he can pull it off. He's also showing a lot of growth in recent episodes... so those are the things I like. He's believable and he's not static. What I dislike is almost the exact same... I like him because he's a teenage boy who acts like a teenage boy... but I also hate him for the same reason.

Beth On the one hand... she was just pretty filler and an emo queen for a long time. On the other, however, she really started to come in to her own this past season so I'm a little unsure how to feel about her.

Glenn and Maggie... I'm all for true love and whatnot, but these two have a bad habit of getting people in to a lot more life-threatening situations then they're worth. If they weren't a viable couple for continuing the human race and if I wasn't proud of the badass Glenn is turning in to, I would say off them both.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Belle33

Characters I enjoy:

Michonne:  She might be my favorite.  I know she isn't fearless, but she is as close to it as anyone on the show gets.  I am loving the changes in her character, from loner to mother figure for Carl.  I'm truly enjoying watching their bond develop. 

Daryl:  He's the cat's meow.  I was pleased when Rick acknowledged him as a brother.  He's not a leader (everyone can't be), but he's a true warrior, and I think he represents that type of character in a most noble way.

Judith:  Come on!  She's a baby!!  What a little cutie! 

Characters I could do without:

Beth:  She seems out of place and I don't buy into the youthful-country-wisdom thing.  She's gone from warm to cold to warm again, and it seems the writers aren't quite sure what they want to do with her. I say.. zombie food.

Tyrese:  He's too much of a softy if you ask me.  His sister, and now Carol, seem to have to save his butt all the time.  Nothing wrong with that but.. come on.. man up a bit!

New character favorites:

The genius with the mullet.  Because he's got a mullet.  Come on!  A mullet!!!

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Drake Valentine

Hmmm...

Love:

Shane: No better dickery than his in the seasons. The rest of would-be asses and whatnot fall short compared to him. I kind-of lost a good portion of interest after his absence...........

Hate:

Rick: I can go on an on with so many reasons, but he just doesn't grasp my attention span as a main character. Shane should of been the main character. :)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Iniquitous

Rick has his faults to be sure.  Gods know I was sick of him this past season.  However,  they could not have made Shane the main character because the comic didn't make him the main.

I have high hopes for Rick after watching the season finale and seeing the promo poster for next season. Hopefully this new bad ass Rick sticks around.

Chris Brady

(This is a joke)

I love the Zombies.  They're the only ones with a defined motivation and a willingness to achieve it.  They are also the best acted of the entire cast.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 01, 2014, 10:08:06 PM
Rick has his faults to be sure.  Gods know I was sick of him this past season.  However,  they could not have made Shane the main character because the comic didn't make him the main.

I have high hopes for Rick after watching the season finale and seeing the promo poster for next season. Hopefully this new bad ass Rick sticks around.

Although the series doesn't really follow the comics to a T.

The ones producing the show ask if it was okay if they did this and that and the maker(s) of the comic pretty much told them they can do it however-ish. That they didn't want those that follow the comic to know what will happen next. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprise if they decide to kill Rick off.

Oh who I am kidding, I am basically watching the show in hopes of seeing him killed off. :)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Kane

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 01, 2014, 12:06:59 PM
Daryl Dixon was not in the graphic comic, thus, how long he has made it is completely up to the screenwriters and directors.

Yeah, but I figured at start he'd sort of be a filler character for the sake of the show, and I would assume that's how he was intended, but then became the fan favorite, I can't imagine them killing him off at this point. They'd probably lose 25% of their ratings.

BlueMaiden88

I love Daryl.  Not only is he not a canon character, but he's a non-canon character that's more than zombie fodder.  I love how he's so multi-dimensional.

Michonne- I love it when a woman's portrayed as strong, resourceful, and intelligent. 

The Governor- as far as villains go, he is THE villain.  He's charismatic, but just crazy enough for you to be scared of him.  It's the intelligence and leadership qualities that make him so crazy because he's just nuts enough to get you to follow him and do away with you later.

I used to LOVE Glenn, but something happened to his brain when he got a girlfriend. 

Also, all the kids in the walking dead, I HATE.  They do stupid things that don't make sense for scared kids to do and many of them, at this point in the game shouldn't be making the kinds of mistakes they are.  They get everyone into trouble in the worst way.

DarkAngel111

I believe that the most interesting Character so far is

Daryl: I doubt we need to discuss him? lol

Rick: Well simply because watching the shows he is being a leader and a father at the same time. Sure last season he looked like a whimp, but the emotions were quite natural he lost a child the other could die any other day. but once his group was back the people he trusted. You see the bad ass in him come back to live.

Glenn: He would have been on top of my list if he had been single. Now he is just crying all the time... I mean, come ON!

The Governor, should have lasted longer I think, be a bit more of a menace :P it was fun to see him toy with the group

Iniquitous

I am waiting to see if everyone who wanted the Governor to stick around longer will say the same after they get a taste of Gareth. While Gareth is not a canon character, everything points to him making the Governor look like Prince Charming.

DarkAngel111

hahaha well unlike governor it seems that he eats people! :P

Governor just had a taste for killing them.

DawningBlue

Meh Good Guys:

Daryl Dixon (Can I count Him as a good Guy?)

Maggie

Michonne

The Bad Guys

Merle (Ya I know he isn't there anymore but damn)

Shane (I miss the drama he brought to the group)

BlueMaiden88

I don't miss Shane at all.  I wanted him to go.  He was literally going insane, slowly but surely.  He was a loose end that needed tying...

DawningBlue

Quote from: BlueMaiden88 on May 01, 2014, 10:16:47 AM
I don't miss Shane at all.  I wanted him to go.  He was literally going insane, slowly but surely.  He was a loose end that needed tying...

Lol yeah. I know he was a bad character. Someone like him is someone that makes you want to stay away, lol. I couldn't stand him much either...but the drama was good to me *_*.

BlueMaiden88

He did stir up some good drama.  You cannot take that away from him, but he was SCARY.  He made me want to sleep with one eye open and I wasn't even living with his group.  Same with that little girl from the newest season.  OOooh my goodness.  She was nuts.

DawningBlue

Quote from: BlueMaiden88 on May 01, 2014, 07:28:27 PM
He did stir up some good drama.  You cannot take that away from him, but he was SCARY.  He made me want to sleep with one eye open and I wasn't even living with his group.  Same with that little girl from the newest season.  OOooh my goodness.  She was nuts.

LOL

I look forward to watching season 4 now. I haven't seen any of it. Gotta love when a character can evoke feelings in ya. Shane is dead...He won't come for ya :p.

BlueMaiden88

WELL.  You'll enjoy season 4.  I can say that much.