Enviromentalism is the next big scam?

Started by Inkidu, July 28, 2009, 03:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revolverman

Quote from: Avis habilis on August 04, 2009, 07:30:29 PM
For certain values of "not anywhere else". Those being "everywhere else".

Ah DDT, Millions of people have to die for junk Science.

Bayushi

Quote from: SleepyWei on July 30, 2009, 02:17:11 AMHot and Cold fusion seems to be making quite some interesting reaches so far. I think I read on a magazine somewhere that cold fusion might actually be the single cleanest and most powerful source of energy available. The memory's foggy though so don't put a lot of weight on it.

Indeed. China, the US, and several European nations are developing something known as the Pebble Bed reactor, which has built in 'safeties' which while producing additional energy, keep the reaction stable within the reactor.

As it breaks its fuel down through the nuclear reaction process, it generates lesser fuel, which it also uses. Which helps keep the reactor well 'fed', which in turn keeps it stable by avoiding spikes or sudden dropoffs in fuel.

Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island were traditional water-cooled reactors, unlike the Pebble Bed design, which use inert gasses.

Quote from: Vekseid on July 29, 2009, 08:06:47 PMOil supply is a very real worry, we have about six years before we need to start seriously ramping up alternatives. Ironically, if in a good way, organic farms and free range animals are a big part of this, because of the amount of waste that pesticides, runoff, factory-farming and such generates. Organic and free range work is complimentary, however, requiring far less oil to produce. So it may in fact eventually become cheaper.

Bit more than six years, there. There's more oil in Alaska than the entire proven reserves of the Arabic states. Problem is, we can't touch it for Congressional interference as well as stifling regulation by the EPA and the Land Use Bureau(can't remember what that's called).

That's not even counting what we have in the Rocky Mountains(Utah, etc), the Dakota's, and the Outer Continental Shelf. The Chinese are working on drilling our own oil out from under us using perpendicular drilling from Cuban waters.

Alternatives are needed, yes. But we honestly need to ease the alternatives into the system. Crashing us into it will just trash the economy, again, and a lot of people will be without transportation(and jobs).

Quote from: Vekseid on July 29, 2009, 08:06:47 PMThat said, I'm a big fan of algae farming. It seems like such a blatant 'duh' that it will seriously begin to take off - it makes complete sense. Take waste, take excess CO2 and then some, return the most efficient and abundant food and fuel source known.

The single most important life form on the planet is similar to algae. Phytoplankton in our oceans(mostly the Pacific) produce as much, if not MORE oxygen than all the plant life on the Earth. They also consume CO², like plants. We honestly should be cultivating this phytoplankton.

Quote from: consortium11 on July 30, 2009, 05:24:32 PMBiofuels also have to deal with the issue about nearly causing mass starvation in the east before they become a real subsitutute.

Thing is, the Agriculture Lobbying firms are pushing hard to make Congress side with corn-based ethanol. When Sugar-based ethanol is not only cleaner, but also does not require 1.5 gallons of refined gasoline to produce 1 gallon of ethanol-based biofuel. Unfortunately, we have a dimwitted Congress, which is more than happy to subsidize corn farms for inferior corn-based ethanol.

Sugar does not require the sheer acreage that corn does, also. Which makes it much more efficient.

Oh, not to mention, a large portion of the world would end up starving for the inability to afford corn-based foods, like basic cereals. Not to mention, much of the food aid that goes to Africa would disappear.

Oh yeah... the big hypocrisy on the part of the environmentalists. They decry agriculture as destroying ecosystems. But when we got to massively increase corn farming, we'll be disrupting yet more 'precious' ecosystems.

Quote from: Revolverman on August 07, 2009, 09:07:17 AMAh DDT, Millions of people have to die for junk Science.

THANK YOU, Revolver! I've been irritated with the envirowhacko's crying about DDT for a very long time. I can't even mention the stuff within 50 yards of an environut without the hissing and gnashing of teeth.

Thing is, MILLIONS of people die every year from Malaria. Why? It was transmitted by the anopholes mosquito, which wouldn't be such an issue if DDT was available. But the Envirotwats in America seem to think it's okay to tell Africans what they are and aren't allowed to do in Africa. So Africans and Southeast Asians die in the millions every year.

*shakes head in shame*

I am a conservationist, not an environmentalist.

Serephino

I was watching Foamy the Squirrel videos, and this one made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd share. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upgS56

Zakharra

Quote from: Chaotic Angel on August 12, 2009, 03:11:39 PM
I was watching Foamy the Squirrel videos, and this one made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd share. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upgS56

*snickers*  That blunt talking squirrel....