Interest Check - Magic: the Gathering Spinoff / Themed Game

Started by Wispyr, January 30, 2016, 12:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanatos

Quote from: Wispyr on January 31, 2016, 10:21:45 PM
Next post address this. Basically it'll all be predefined stuff by me - this is to maintain consistency and balance among the players, that largely, borrows from existing cards. Though the sets may not match existing sets. In the previous example...

Alpha: Origins (Chapter 1)

May use cards from the following real sets:
Torment
Champions of Kamigawa
Iceage
Morningtide
Tempest

Just as a totally random example.

I kind of figured.

ThisOneGal

Quote from: Wispyr on January 31, 2016, 10:16:40 PM
Also as for url tags...

[url=http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[myr]This Card Here[/url]

Linking from that site is a little strange because they use "]" as well. So the end of their link also serves as the end of your code. Awkward but it works.

That ends up pointing to
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[myr
Which breaks the gatherer site. :/
(At least, that's what happens in my browser.)

QuoteMyr and Archbound stuff is pretty fun. Unsure of how they'll all tie in yet... It's actually one of the things being worked on currently.

Hmm. If you want to hear my I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing grade ideas/thoughts, here goes:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I like the idea of just converting Mana into [Modular +1/+1 counters] or [0/0 Artifact Creature — Myr with Modular 1] as a sort of basic ability/spell. And then any other abilities are paid for with a combination of Mana and Modular counters.

So, for instance, there'd be a 'Copper' card. Once I had access to 2 mana, I could begin spawning Modular 1 Myr with the [tap to add 1 mana] ability, or convert a Modular counter on Myr with 2+ counters on it to that ability. (Although I'd probably end up using Alloy or Palladium instead of copper, 'cause I have no real idea how the colors work and it's easier to just stick with everything being colorless.)

I have no idea how you would need to balance this, especially with 1 cost cards like this or this. Also, a Modular 1 Myr Servitor is probably the most broken thing ever, no matter how much I want it. Maybe as an endgame/campaign ability?

Character advancement would be though gaining new abilities to add. Obvious plot hooks would be tracking down things to pull them apart for their abilities. What little I know about the lore is that some guy called Memnarch created the Myr, so MC is probably someone who saw the potential of the Myr, but decided she could do better, so she started ripping them and Arcbound stuff apart to figure out how to make her own. If we go down that path though, they're probably not 'true' Myr or Arcbound things.

If MC is the designated 'colorless' character, could also serve to highlight that distinction.

Anyway. While I think this idea is cool, I have no idea how well it would work with your plans (my guess is poorly). Hopefully it gives you some ideas though.

Wispyr

A minor hurdle later... and we're still alive folks! Still alive.

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

freeko

Would you consider a game involving those of us who are already interested?

Wispyr

Quote from: freeko on February 02, 2016, 04:59:02 PM
Would you consider a game involving those of us who are already interested?
What do you mean, exactly?

Once I've got the details of the game nailed down and have finished the construction of it all, anyone will be able to come play who is interested (but most importantly those who have expressed interest and helped build it!)