News:

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peepeur

Real. Yeah, I get it. You guys play for fun. You don't want to hear people calling you out for every wrong move that you make. You don't need them cussing you out because you just got back from work and you're looking for a good ol' normal, double bruiser bot, bruiser mid, duo adc top game. That's great.

You know what that's also called? Selfishness.

Let me explain:

I'm not talking about toxic players that just make the game difficult for everyone for no reason. No, I'm talking about the toxic players that won their lane despite being countered, but fails to win the game because of some poorly skilled bot lane with tunnel vision. I'm talking about the toxic players that could carry you if the jungler had just listened to their pings and ganked their lane, instead of helping the baddies fail even more.

So why are these players toxic? Because like you, they also play for fun. Except their definition of fun is to win. Winning is fun. Sure you might make a comeback if everyone displays sportmanship, but why should anyone expect to be carried in the first place? Win your lanes. No toxicity. Fun for everyone.

You don't want to be insulted by a toxic player? Fine. Don't be bad. If you can't help but be bad because you're just outplayed by the other team, at least show some fucking remorse. If you go afk as soon as you're called bad, then just uninstall life. My god.

I'm only in Silver 1. I'm not some Challenger Tier Dyrus (he's Diamond 1 now I think). I'm not the perfect player. I fuck up and I get called bad. You know what though? I don't shut them out. Because to me, they have every right to be angry at me. I fucking apologize. I agree with their insults. I tell them to report me after the game if they want to. I ruined the game for them, not the other way around. I ruined their fun before their so-called unjustified toxicity could ruin my fun.

If you don't want to deal with toxicity because that ruins your fun, then you're just selfish.

Insert Human Torch famous catch phrase here.

SinXAzgard21

Hahaha, I can already see where this is gonna go.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

This will end with tears.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 01, 2013, 02:32:32 AM
This will end with tears.

You can see it to then... I hope this thread doesn't get closed.

Kaedia

It is against my philosophy to help Trundle get gold so I'm keeping my hand out of this cookie jar.

So what is everyone's thoughts on Lissandra? And on Sejuani and Trundle for that matter. Anyone got a chance to test them out and see them in action? I tried a game of Sejuani earlier but she left me unimpressed. Oh! Also as per the current initiative to get Summoners to take sides which of the three factions are you siding with in the Freljord conflict? Avarosan (Ashe), Winter's Claw (Sejuani), or The Frostguard (Lissandra). As much as I love all the tasty lore they've tossed into Lissandra I'm finding I side with the Avarosan.

[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

Peepeur

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 01, 2013, 02:33:51 AM
You can see it to then... I hope this thread doesn't get closed.

Lol why would it close? I'm not instigating anything. Are you?

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Zefie on May 01, 2013, 02:52:58 AM
It is against my philosophy to help Trundle get gold so I'm keeping my hand out of this cookie jar.

So what is everyone's thoughts on Lissandra? And on Sejuani and Trundle for that matter. Anyone got a chance to test them out and see them in action? I tried a game of Sejuani earlier but she left me unimpressed. Oh! Also as per the current initiative to get Summoners to take sides which of the three factions are you siding with in the Freljord conflict? Avarosan (Ashe), Winter's Claw (Sejuani), or The Frostguard (Lissandra). As much as I love all the tasty lore they've tossed into Lissandra I'm finding I side with the Avarosan.

I have Lissandra and Trundle, have yet to test them out as I've only been doing ARAM today.  I'm taking Winter's Claw first.  After the 10 wins I'll get the Frostguard and I'll pass on Avarosan.  I don't like the design for it.  I know that Sejuani is built to take hits and initiate fights but honestly, she seems to predictable.  I've watched her charge fall short so many times and her other abilities are decent at best.  Maybe I was just paired with new Sej players or maybe they where just bad.  I like how Bristle looks though, and her new look is awesome as well.  Trundle however... 

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Peepeur on May 01, 2013, 02:53:52 AM
Lol why would it close? I'm not instigating anything. Are you?

Nope.

Kaedia

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 01, 2013, 03:02:58 AM
I have Lissandra and Trundle, have yet to test them out as I've only been doing ARAM today.  I'm taking Winter's Claw first.  After the 10 wins I'll get the Frostguard and I'll pass on Avarosan.  I don't like the design for it.  I know that Sejuani is built to take hits and initiate fights but honestly, she seems to predictable.  I've watched her charge fall short so many times and her other abilities are decent at best.  Maybe I was just paired with new Sej players or maybe they where just bad.  I like how Bristle looks though, and her new look is awesome as well.  Trundle however... 

Slight problem with your plan; you can only unlock one symbol. Once you have ten wins under one banner you lose the ability to unlock the other two. I like the Frostguard's symbol the most of the three. Winter's Claw is pretty nice as well. I guess the reason I'm siding with Avaorosan is Ashe was one of the first champions I played a fair bit of. That was a long time ago... back when the meta was send your AD carry mid, double damage bottoms, and tanks in the top were the thing. So it's like... I feel so compelled to get her icon for old times sake. 
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Zefie on May 01, 2013, 03:08:42 AM
Slight problem with your plan; you can only unlock one symbol. Once you have ten wins under one banner you lose the ability to unlock the other two. I like the Frostguard's symbol the most of the three. Winter's Claw is pretty nice as well. I guess the reason I'm siding with Avaorosan is Ashe was one of the first champions I played a fair bit of. That was a long time ago... back when the meta was send your AD carry mid, double damage bottoms, and tanks in the top were the thing. So it's like... I feel so compelled to get her icon for old times sake. 

Well shit, I read that wrong.  Thanks Zefie, I would have lost my Winters Claw banner. 

Kaedia

No problem, (^_^). My friend alerted me of it this morning and being the disbeliever I am I had to track down the source material. It made me sad but it's kinda cool though. Lets anyone who participates in this show off their alliance later on. I assume they'll remove the ability to unlock the icons a few months down the line when they deem the conflict over. Who knows how long that will take though.
My Status:
Open.

Shjade

Quote from: Peepeur on May 01, 2013, 02:01:52 AM
If you don't want to deal with toxicity because that ruins your fun, then you're just selfish.

Your argument falls apart when one notices your premise relies upon two things:

1) that the toxic behavior is both justifiable and triggered by other players' actions
2) that the toxic behavior is fun

The first simply isn't true. If someone plays badly, that sucks. That doesn't give other players permission to give them shit about it. There's a reason curbstomping someone who got the last doughnut you wanted is illegal: being mad at someone doesn't give you the right to take it out on them.

The second might be true, but if you have to ruin my fun by being an asshole, that's you being selfish. I'm just trying to play the game. Fortunately, that's why blocking chat from other players is an option. =D

And, of course, all of the above can be cast aside when you recognize that 90% of the time the guys being the most vile at any given time are very likely not the ones playing the best on either team, which removes even the illusion of "righteousness" behind their jerkass behavior.

@Zefie: I'm not siding with anyone. I couldn't care less about the whole Frejlord thing despite Ashe and Anivia being two of my favorite champions and my first purchases in the game. The lore has literally zero presence in the gameplay so I ignore it; it doesn't add anything for me.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Peepeur

Quote from: Shjade on May 01, 2013, 03:54:51 AM
Your argument falls apart when one notices your premise relies upon two things:

1) that the toxic behavior is both justifiable and triggered by other players' actions
2) that the toxic behavior is fun

The first simply isn't true. If someone plays badly, that sucks. That doesn't give other players permission to give them shit about it. There's a reason curbstomping someone who got the last doughnut you wanted is illegal: being mad at someone doesn't give you the right to take it out on them.

The second might be true, but if you have to ruin my fun by being an asshole, that's you being selfish. I'm just trying to play the game. Fortunately, that's why blocking chat from other players is an option. =D

And, of course, all of the above can be cast aside when you recognize that 90% of the time the guys being the most vile at any given time are very likely not the ones playing the best on either team, which removes even the illusion of "righteousness" behind their jerkass behavior.

@Zefie: I'm not siding with anyone. I couldn't care less about the whole Frejlord thing despite Ashe and Anivia being two of my favorite champions and my first purchases in the game. The lore has literally zero presence in the gameplay so I ignore it; it doesn't add anything for me.

You're right, partly. Toxic behaviour isn't justifiable. There's no permission slip that your mother has to sign to allow you to be a toxic player. However, I simply don't need to be justified if I want to be toxic. Not being justified is not going to stop a winning top lane to bitch about his or her teammates. Again, as I said before, I'm not referring to the players who are toxic for no reason; that is, those that do bad and still talk shit to his or her teammates. Whether or not toxicity helps the team is another issue, but if you don't understand my reason for being toxic, then it doesn't mean I don't have reason to be toxic.

As I said on the previous page, "there's nothing wrong with toxic players as long as they can carry." I find nothing wrong with toxic players as long as they have the skills to back it up. That's just my personal opinion. If you want to talk shit, you better have a pooper scooper to clean yourself up. Otherwise, it's just embarrassing.

On the previous page, a lot of you didn't agree with what I said about toxic players and how they don't matter. You guys are obviously just in lane and taking the verbal abuse even though no one's forcing you to suffer through any of it. My solution to the excessive toxicity directed at you or your teammates: the block function.

You're spot on about the selfish bit though. It does go both ways. However, I merely said that it was the baddie that initiates the toxicity. No baddie, very likely no toxicity. No toxicity, very likely still baddie. I think I wasn't very clear about that whole last bit, how I actually APOLOGIZE when I'm doing bad and being called bad. Apologizing usually ends any problems of toxicity, even if you're insincere about it. Retaliating and not showing remorse will only further toxicity, usually. Exceptions to rules, always.

tldr; No rights/permission/justification involved with toxicity. Toxicity okay in my books; just don't embarrass yourself by playing bad. Order of events: baddies -> fun ruined -> toxicity ensues.

Aiden

Fuck you Riot....I ended up buying the Rune Voli Bear skin, I need to practice with Voli, been playing other characters to much lately.

Aiden

Also, just because you are good, doesn't mean you can be an asshat.

I'd rather lose with a group that are amiable, then win with some asshole who cursed and berated everyone for the duration of the game.

Aestas

One of the things that I notice, is a lot of people will call you out for being a 'bad player' just because you don't play how they want you to.  This is pretty common when you have to solo queue or even duo queue.  You're too conservative for their play style, you're too aggressive for their play style, you didn't tower dive to heal them that last little bit so that they could get that vayne and disappear into the jungle while you die to tower hits.  You bad.  Just bad.  ;)

If you overextended yourself and got ganked two seconds from enemy team's base, it's not shen's fault he didn't decide to die, too.  Not all rage at so-called bad players is justified.   Sometimes playstyles just don't match up, teams don't synergize well.  It happens.

I know I have been called out for playing bad; I bet everyone has at one point or another, and then I have games where I carry my team.. as support.  ;)  One bad game, or even a few bad games, do not a bad player make.

Just my thoughts on the matter.  ;)

As for the conversation beyond that, I went with ashe's tribe myself, though Liss's icon is obviously the neatest.

Ryven

Quote from: Peepeur on May 01, 2013, 05:07:42 AM
You're right, partly. Toxic behaviour isn't justifiable. There's no permission slip that your mother has to sign to allow you to be a toxic player. However, I simply don't need to be justified if I want to be toxic. Not being justified is not going to stop a winning top lane to bitch about his or her teammates. Again, as I said before, I'm not referring to the players who are toxic for no reason; that is, those that do bad and still talk shit to his or her teammates. Whether or not toxicity helps the team is another issue, but if you don't understand my reason for being toxic, then it doesn't mean I don't have reason to be toxic.

As I said on the previous page, "there's nothing wrong with toxic players as long as they can carry." I find nothing wrong with toxic players as long as they have the skills to back it up. That's just my personal opinion. If you want to talk shit, you better have a pooper scooper to clean yourself up. Otherwise, it's just embarrassing.

On the previous page, a lot of you didn't agree with what I said about toxic players and how they don't matter. You guys are obviously just in lane and taking the verbal abuse even though no one's forcing you to suffer through any of it. My solution to the excessive toxicity directed at you or your teammates: the block function.

You're spot on about the selfish bit though. It does go both ways. However, I merely said that it was the baddie that initiates the toxicity. No baddie, very likely no toxicity. No toxicity, very likely still baddie. I think I wasn't very clear about that whole last bit, how I actually APOLOGIZE when I'm doing bad and being called bad. Apologizing usually ends any problems of toxicity, even if you're insincere about it. Retaliating and not showing remorse will only further toxicity, usually. Exceptions to rules, always.

tldr; No rights/permission/justification involved with toxicity. Toxicity okay in my books; just don't embarrass yourself by playing bad. Order of events: baddies -> fun ruined -> toxicity ensues.

It makes no difference to me whether a player is toxic or not, but they reap the consequences when they are toxic, good or bad.  I don't care if they carried us to victory.  If we win, that wont stop me from reporting them.  Toxicity is toxicity, and it is never okay in my opinion.  Am I selfish for wanting to just have some fun? Sure.  I'll own that, but that is my right as long as toxic players continue to try and ruin fun for others.

Apologizing doesn't usually end toxic behavior.  I've seen it continue no matter how much better the bad person plays.  Toxic players are simply toxic players.  Also, the block function is there if I need it.  I shouldn't have to use it.  I find it odd how people can get so worked up over a game.  I have found that anyone needing to verbally bash another person via chat where there is virtually no recompense for doing so is often struggling in some other area of their life, but that is just my assessment.  Feel free to disagree.

Shjade

Quote from: Peepeur on May 01, 2013, 05:07:42 AM
You're spot on about the selfish bit though. It does go both ways. However, I merely said that it was the baddie that initiates the toxicity. No baddie, very likely no toxicity.

Which is completely wrong. People are responsible for their own actions. Your attempt at justification is like trying to justify road rage: "If he hadn't cut me off I would never have rammed him with my car, officer! I'm normally a good person!" No. It's not his fault you have no self control; it's yours.

The asshole initiates being an asshole.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ofDelusions

If someone is only having fun when they are winning, and losing is so bad for them that rage when they do it, then they really really should just stop playing. "Baddies" or no, thanks to the match making you WILL loose close to half your games.

Not wanting to be flamed when you lose or do badly is not selfish. At all. Calling someone noob or retard when they do badly only makes you look like and idiot and actually makes you more likely to loose the game. There is no excuse to do it. Excusing flaming someone because they did badly just makes you look childish.

Even saying that someone is bad because they lost a lane is stupid, because everyone has lost their lanes. Everyone has bad games. So is everyone a baddie?  Even if someone did something really stupid like bad tower dives or whatever calling them bad contributes nothing.

SinXAzgard21

Just played as Lissandra.... Holy shit, she is queen of the baiters.  That ult is fucking ridiculous, and her burst is just as outrageous.  Don't get me wrong if she is on CD and gets initiated she is as squish as a Teemo.  But still, her kit makes her something to be reckoned with.  I will say if others wish to play her, just make sure you realize that her abilities do not have very long range.  Otherwise you gonna miss your skill shot and aoe.

FallenRanger

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 01, 2013, 01:45:52 PM
Just played as Lissandra.... Holy shit, she is queen of the baiters.  That ult is fucking ridiculous, and her burst is just as outrageous.  Don't get me wrong if she is on CD and gets initiated she is as squish as a Teemo.  But still, her kit makes her something to be reckoned with.  I will say if others wish to play her, just make sure you realize that her abilities do not have very long range.  Otherwise you gonna miss your skill shot and aoe.

Someone I play with got a Pentakill with her easily. Not sure if it's a soon-to-be-nerfed character or not.
Request Thread

You think lag is your ally? You merely adopted the lag. I was moulded by it. Changed by it. I didn't see latency till I was a man ಠ_ಠ

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: FallenRanger on May 01, 2013, 02:20:34 PM
Someone I play with got a Pentakill with her easily. Not sure if it's a soon-to-be-nerfed character or not.

It is possible, claw port into teamfight, ult, then aoe and q the remainder.  She is gonna get a huge nerfbat.  They are selling this whole Freljord conflict really well and made Lissandra out to be this effing power house mage.  So yeah, I can see he being slightly op till next patch after millions of complains that her burst is too good, her kit has too much utility and so on.

SinXAzgard21

4 more wins and I get to keep my Winter's Claw icon... w00t.  Back to ARAM.

Peepeur

Quote from: Shjade on May 01, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
Which is completely wrong. People are responsible for their own actions. Your attempt at justification is like trying to justify road rage: "If he hadn't cut me off I would never have rammed him with my car, officer! I'm normally a good person!" No. It's not his fault you have no self control; it's yours.

The asshole initiates being an asshole.

As a player who sees toxicity and shrugs it off, I have to disagree about your extremely poor comparisons of League and real life situations. I'm not getting hit by a car when people call me bad. Nor am I hitting others with my car, or even my semi, if people actually think toxicity is that big of a deal, when I call others bad. Sure it might be an issue of self control, but really, the order is still: baddies -> lose self control -> toxicity ensues. I'm not saying it's justified; I'm just saying if you look at things that way, you'll understand the toxicity. Whether or not people will shrug it off like me is another issue.

I want to play with you so badly right now, Shjade. League boner right now. Duo queue ranked, yeah?

Quote from: ofDelusions on May 01, 2013, 11:55:53 AM
If someone is only having fun when they are winning, and losing is so bad for them that rage when they do it, then they really really should just stop playing. "Baddies" or no, thanks to the match making you WILL loose close to half your games.

Not wanting to be flamed when you lose or do badly is not selfish. At all. Calling someone noob or retard when they do badly only makes you look like and idiot and actually makes you more likely to loose the game. There is no excuse to do it. Excusing flaming someone because they did badly just makes you look childish.

Even saying that someone is bad because they lost a lane is stupid, because everyone has lost their lanes. Everyone has bad games. So is everyone a baddie?  Even if someone did something really stupid like bad tower dives or whatever calling them bad contributes nothing.

Quote from: Ryven on May 01, 2013, 10:42:11 AM
It makes no difference to me whether a player is toxic or not, but they reap the consequences when they are toxic, good or bad.  I don't care if they carried us to victory. If we win, that wont stop me from reporting them.  Toxicity is toxicity, and it is never okay in my opinion.  Am I selfish for wanting to just have some fun? Sure.  I'll own that, but that is my right as long as toxic players continue to try and ruin fun for others.

Quote from: Aiden on May 01, 2013, 08:07:34 AM
I'd rather lose with a group that are amiable, then win with some asshole who cursed and berated everyone for the duration of the game.

It seems like you three and the majority of the people here just don't care about winning. As a player who views victories as everything when I waste time on League, I really have to disagree. If you don't care about winning, then I really can't make you see toxicity as not an issue. It's all for the win for me.

However, Delusions is partly right though. People who rage at losing probably shouldn't be playing this game. I still don't know if I want to touch the game. (What the fuck is Lissandra?) But that's the cost of having fun online for some people: to have fun--to win, you have to risk losing. This brings about the whole idea of gambling which may or may not be relevant.

Ryven

So we've established it's a matter of point of view.  I can understand that.  We will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.  I don't play to win.  I play to have fun.  The outcome is immaterial to my enjoyment of the experience.