Machina Astrum (Scifi Roleplay) (Interest Check & Signup)

Started by GloomCookie, October 31, 2011, 03:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

Machina Astrum

The screen showed a desolate landscape obscured by smoke and debris in the background with lines streaking into the sky while a young woman in a dirty, wrinkled suit yelled to be heard, "We still have no idea what it was that landed in the downtown area but we are sure that it has attacked anything and anyone that has come near it.  The National Guard and the Military are responding and telling everyone to evacuate the city as more and more of the strange machines drop from the sky.  We don't have any footage at this time but people fleeing the destruction said it looks like a giant mechanical spider and," the screen briefly illuminated blue before being replaced by static.

For some, this was their first introduction to the machines from the stars.

Machina Astrum (literally Star Machine) is a science fiction game revolving around the people unfortunate enough to be caught in the attack on Los Angeles by strange machines, each seeming to be driven by one of two goals: Crush all military resistance and collect humans.  What happens to the humans is unknown, but what is known is that only devastating firepower can bring these monsters down while it destroys everything in its path.  And there's an entire army falling from the sky.  Priests beg God for forgiveness, mothers clutch children to their chests, and soldiers run into a battle they may not survive.  Your actions can affect the outcome, for good or bad, as you struggle to fight and survive.

As you play, you'll find yourself being forced to make moral choices.  Do you give away your position to the machine as it chases a family down the street, knowing that if you do you'll ruin the ambush you set up?  Do you stop to try and save a few more knowing you'll risk everyone already on board?  Every decision has a consequence, and in the end it's a matter of being on the ground, looking up at the machine, and knowing that even without touching you, it's hurting you deep down inside.

Character Sheets Humans Only.  The sheet is designed to allow a wide range of personality types.  Please don't just go through and check everything.  Take your time to read through everything and get a feel for who your character is before committing.
Profile Picture (Any picture, including anime, is acceptable)

Physical Features
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Blood Type:[/b] (O+ is the predominant blood type)
[b]Race/Nationality:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Body Type:[/b]
[b]Eyes/Hair:[/b]
[b]Tattoos/Scars:[/b]

Career Information
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Rank/Position:[/b]
[b]Years Working:[/b]
[i]Please put an X in each box[/i]
[b]Have you ever committed a felony?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you have firearm training?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you have any Close Quarter/Martial Arts training?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you have medical training?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Have you ever/are currently serving in the military/national guard?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Have you ever been/are currently in a first response position (police/fire/medical)?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Have you ever used/currently use illegal narcotics?[/b] { } Yes { } No

Psychological Profile
[b]Are you currently under medical evaluation for mental illness?[/b]  { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you currently have nightmares of traumatic events?[/b]  { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you have irrational phobias?[/b]  { } Yes { } No
If you selected yes, please list them here:
[b]Do you suffer from moderate to extreme paranoia?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you ever hear voices demanding you harm yourself?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Do you show symptoms of pyromania?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Did you ever harm small animals for amusement?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Were you ever sexually abused?[/b] { } Yes { } No
[b]Were you ever physically abused?[/b] { } Yes { } No

Biography
[b]Place of Birth:[/b]
[b]Primary Caregiver(s):[/b]
[b]Relation to Caregiver(s):[/b]
[b]Marital Status:[/b]
[b]Closest Relative:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
Please write a brief biography here

Approved Character Sheets
Approved Character Sheets
Moira Thompson

Physical Features
Name: Moira Thompson
Blood Type: O+
Race/Nationality: Caucasian/American
Height: 5ft 11in
Weight: 143lbs.
Body Type: Slim
Eyes/Hair: Blue/Short Brown
Tattoos/Scars: Scar around her naval from surgery.

Career Information
Rank/Position: Owner
Years Working: 4 years
Please put an X in each box
Have you ever committed a felony? { } Yes {X} No
Do you have firearm training? { } Yes {X} No
Do you have medical training? { } Yes {X} No
Have you ever/are currently serving in the military/national guard? { } Yes {X} No
Have you ever been/are currently in a first response position (police/fire/medical)? { } Yes {X} No
Have you ever used/currently use illegal narcotics? { } Yes {X} No

Psychological Profile
Are you currently under medical evaluation for mental illness?  { } Yes {X} No
Do you currently have nightmares of traumatic events?  {X} Yes { } No
Do you have irrational phobias?  { } Yes {X} No
Do you suffer from moderate to extreme paranoia? { } Yes {X} No
Do you ever hear voices demanding you harm yourself? { } Yes {X} No
Do you show symptoms of pyromania? { } Yes {X} No
Did you ever harm small animals for amusement? { } Yes {X} No
Were you ever sexually abused? {X} Yes { } No
Were you ever physically abused? { } Yes {X} No

Biography
Place of Birth: Bozeman, Montana
Primary Caregiver(s): Elizabeth Thompson
Relation to Caregiver(s): Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Closest Relative: Mother (Elizabeth Thompson)
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Born in Bozeman, Montana on April 13, 1982, Moira enjoyed a fairly typical childhood.  Her parents worked at a local factory, her father on the production line and her mother as an accountant.  She enjoyed good scores in school and was a fairly popular student.  That is, until an incident when she was 14.  Her father and mother weren't getting along, and eventually they separated, with Moira travelling between the two.  Things were fine at first, until her father began imposing strict rules about what she could and could not wear, when she could leave, and trying to control her.  She tried to obey but as a teenager, eventually her own rebelliousness got the better of her.

All this culminated on the night of September 3, 1996 when Moira snuck out to hang out with a friend, and came home to find her father waiting.  In a fury, he demanded to know why she had snuck away, angry that she had disobeyed.  He then ripped her clothes off and burned them and the rest of her clothes, telling her that if she was going to act like a whore, she would be treated like one.  He then forced her onto the floor and raped her, saying it was punishment for her misdeeds, before locking her away.  He did this for several more days until Moira's mother arrived to pick her up, and that's when the police became involved.

Moira received counselling for her ordeal, and her mother took a position in Los Angeles to get away from Montana.  Though most of the emotional and physical scars are healed (she had to have surgery to repair a rupture caused by the rape), she still has an occasional nightmare, often of being helpless and scared.  Fortunately, she has progressed past the night terrors that once plagued her, leaving her able to shake off her dreams after a few minutes.  After a rather unsatisfying college career trying to get an undergraduate in business, she struck out on her own to try running a music store as first a manager, and then later buying the company and naming it Sonic Inc.  And that's where she works happily each and every day.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

MissFire

I'm interested. What's the goal, here? To get everyone to fight the aliens? To get them into the alien ships to see what it's like? What's the starting point for people? What kind of skill sets will be needed?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Bloody Rose

Bloody Rose

Physical Features
Name: Brian Lonestar
Blood Type: O+
Race/Nationality: American/Canadian
Height:5’8”
Weight: 185
Body Type:Lean with a bit of muscle
Eyes/Hair: Black/Green
Tattoos/Scars: None

Career Information
Rank/Position: Emergency Trauma Doctor
Years Working: 7
Have you ever committed a felony? { } Yes {x} No
Do you have firearm training? { } Yes {x} No
Do you have medical training? {x} Yes { } No
Have you ever/are currently serving in the military/national guard? { } Yes {x} No
Have you ever been/are currently in a first response position (police/fire/medical)? {x} Yes { } No
Have you ever used/currently use illegal narcotics? { } Yes {x} No

Psychological Profile
Are you currently under medical evaluation for mental illness?  { } Yes {x} No
Do you currently have nightmares of traumatic events?  {x} Yes { } No
Do you have irrational phobias?  { } Yes {x} No
Do you suffer from moderate to extreme paranoia? { } Yes {x} No
Do you ever hear voices demanding you harm yourself? { } Yes {x} No
Do you show symptoms of pyromania? { } Yes {x} No
Did you ever harm small animals for amusement? { } Yes {x} No
Were you ever sexually abused? { } Yes {x} No
Were you ever physically abused? {x} Yes { } No

Biography
Place of Birth: Canada
Primary Caregiver(s): His daughter Diana
Relation to Caregiver(s): Father
Marital Status:Wife Dead
Closest Relative: None (Her daughter died)

He was born in Canada, ever since little his life has been hell. His abusive mother beat him almost every day however he refused to send her to the cops because obviously it was his mother. He grew up a pretty normal life except for the bruises and scars all over his body thanks to his mother. With his father being out of the picture he had to hold on to time. However that time soon proved to be his undoing. One day when he was coming home he saw her mother with a bottle of whiskey on her hands, she beat him so badly that he was taken to a hospital and he was almost killed by her own mother. When she was arrested and taken out he could live a normal life.

Getting to the university was no easy job, he had to work a part time job and study in order to graduate with honors. He focused his entire life on his studies wanting to become a trauma doctor and finally at the age of twenty three he managed to do it. He quickly got a job in the local hospital taking the role of the chief trauma doctor instantly. He had seen countless things however there was one time where he met a wonderful woman, Elizabeth. She came in with a gunshot wound to her chest and almost died if Brian wasn’t there to help her. They instantly hit it off and when she left the hospital they started dating, two years later they married and had a beautiful daughter that they named Diana.

Life was very good for him until the machines attacked, he was working at that moment and his family was on the way to pick him up. He saw how their car was turned to ashes by one of the machines. Ever since then he helped any way he could taking care of the injured and the like. When the government went to hell he went to hiding hopefully he could settle a safe spot and live there until the invasion ended or he was killed.

GloomCookie

Quote from: MissFire on October 31, 2011, 06:21:16 PM
I'm interested. What's the goal, here? To get everyone to fight the aliens? To get them into the alien ships to see what it's like? What's the starting point for people? What kind of skill sets will be needed?

There is no goal.  Not one that I set, anyway.  The goal is whatever you make it to be.
My DeviantArt

Sanai

Will the people be captured/experimented on/used/etc by the aliens?
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

GloomCookie

Yes.  Not everyone, but some will.  That and character death will be grounds for considering your character 'dead' and you can create a new one.  To make things more interesting, when you are captured, I will PM and we will RP there what happens to you so that you know what happens, but I don't exactly broadcast what they're going to do to you ;)

And I know I sounded vague in my last post about not having a specific plot but that's the point.  I don't want a script to make everyone follow, I want everyone to feel like their contributions, no matter how small, effect the entire story.  Each element I control will have its own agenda certainly, but that agenda can shift or even change entirely depending on what happens once the game begins.  A scheduled attack might get delayed or even cancelled due to damage, a rescued pilot by one of the survivors might yield valuable intel or a chance to link up with the military, you'll just have to see.
My DeviantArt

Drake Valentine

Interesting...

Perhaps..

But an I be evil?

Also, was looking through the skills with xs, and if I am pique enough, would it be alright to add CQC/Martial Arts Training?

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

GloomCookie

I added CQC/Martial Arts, mostly because it offers a new dimension.

As far as being evil, remember that you are supposed to be in an American city.  You're not some bald madman trying to take over the world.  You're probably a gang member, a murderer, a serial killer for all we know.  Just keep it realistic, meaning no Italian Mob Bosses running around.  You're not going to be able to count on Tino to make an offer they can't refuse if he gets his head shot off in an invasion.
My DeviantArt

Drake Valentine

Nah, I was thinking something more on the 'insane' scale of terrorism but looks like aliens beat him to it. :P

I'll work on a template over the weekend.

But he'll still be evil, nothing beats explosive packages. ^-^`

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Sanai

Physical Features
Name: Alicia Kensky
Blood Type: AB
Race/Nationality: Caucasian/American
Height:5'7
Weight: 53 Kilos
Body Type:Lean/Athletic
Eyes/Hair:Green Eyes, Brunette.
Tattoos/Scars: Various small scars from military service, a tattoo of a combat knife and her unit number on her left arm.

Career Information
Rank/Position: Corporal
Years Working: 7
Have you ever committed a felony? { } Yes {x} No
Do you have firearm training? {x} Yes { } No
Do you have any Close Quarter/Martial Arts training? {x} Yes { } No (Military Close Quarters/Self Defense Training)
Do you have medical training? {x} Yes { } No (Military Grade Combat First Aid Training)
Have you ever/are currently serving in the military/national guard? {x} Yes { } No
Have you ever been/are currently in a first response position (police/fire/medical)? { } Yes {x} No
Have you ever used/currently use illegal narcotics? { } Yes {x} No

Psychological Profile
Are you currently under medical evaluation for mental illness?  { } Yes {x} No
Do you currently have nightmares of traumatic events?  {x} Yes { } No
Do you have irrational phobias?  { } Yes {x} No
Do you suffer from moderate to extreme paranoia? { } Yes {x} No
Do you ever hear voices demanding you harm yourself? { } Yes {x} No
Do you show symptoms of pyromania? { } Yes {x} No
Did you ever harm small animals for amusement? { } Yes {x} No
Were you ever sexually abused? {x} Yes { } No
Were you ever physically abused? { x} Yes { } No

Biography
Place of Birth: Los Angeles
Primary Caregiver(s): Catarina Kensky
Relation to Caregiver(s): Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Closest Relative: Mother (Catarina Kensky)
Bio: Alicia Kensky grew up in the middle to lower class parts of Los Angeles, the eldest of two daughters to Catarina and Marcus Kensky. Her parents were fairly middle class, and to outside observers seemed a fairly normal family. However, once she had turned 16, strict, sometimes agressive parent hood began to turn to outright abuse. She was physically, and eventually sexually abused by her father, as was her daughter, and physical abuse often followed from their mother as retribution for the attentions of the father. At first it almost broke Alicia, but then she turned it around, instead of breaking down completely and submitting, she fled home at the age of 18, to live in a cheap apartment with flatmates. From then on, she vowed that no man, or woman would ever control her or abuse her like that again. She took up a strict regimen of exercise and took self defense classes. At the age of 19, her passion for such things and a wish to have a purpose in her life led her to the recruitment office. She signed up for the United States Army, beginning the rigourous training to join the infantry. It took alot of fighting for her to become a rifleman, due to the sexism and regulations that opposed her doing so. When the rules finally changed to allow women to fight on the frontlines, Alicia was one of the first, always determined to be the toughest girl on the block. She spent a few years fighting in afghanistan amongst her seven years in service, earning scars and combat experience. She could have made sergeant by now, but she has been passed over several times, as though when on mission or on duty she is a first class soldier, her superiors have noted- and frown upon her highly promiscuous activities when she is off duty. A sergeant definatly should not be someone who has slept with half of the squad, for obvious reasons. Alicia is happy as a Corporal in a rifle platoon however, as the military has provided the family she never had, and the training enables her to ensure she will never be a victim again.

When the machines invaded Los Angeles, Alicia and her unit had recently returned from deployment in Afghanistan. The military quickly threw whatever units and assets they could to defend the city, so what should have been a period of training and rest quickly turned into another battle for Alicia and her comrades.
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

SargentToughie

I've got to say that the premise you've set up certainly sounds awesome, but It's just not my cup of tea, really. Usually I try to shoot for more lighthearted stories, if at all possible.

Still, good luck with getting this thing off the ground.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Capone

I'll keep this bookmarked for now and see how it goes, as well as my involvement with other RP's going on (including Re-Entry). I'll definitely keep up, though. I'm liking the premises you come up with so far.

Sanai

What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.