Starting small: Undermountain PF (full)

Started by ShadowFox89, December 09, 2011, 06:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

So, I decided to start my first game off here on E gradually. 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons, first level, 36 point buy. Using the Undermountain published adventure, then moving past that at level 10 (depending on what the players wish).

I'll be looking for 4-5 players, and would like to cover the basics. 2-3 times a day for posting from players, and you can expect me to be able to reply most of the time. Run any books by me first if you want to use a class from them, I'm fairly lenient.

I believe that is it.... Any questions?

edit: Current cast is as follows

Inkidu - Shadlin Ghost-Step, Human Monk
NicciKotor - Horo, Wolfgirl Sorceress
CrazyIvan - Jessica Fa'Bahue Human Rogue
who149 - Le'thral, Elf Fighter
Call me Shadow
My A/A

BenedictWolfe

What will the nature of the adult content be (since you didn't post this in the Non-Sexual forum)?

Setting wise, what year does this take place?

Tamhansen

yes, I do have that question. What if any adult content are you looking for. As for the adventure itself, I'm surely interested. I'm probably going to go with a class from the PHB1 so fairly simple, but that might change based on group.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Snake

ShadowFox89

Quote from: BenedictWolfe on December 10, 2011, 07:36:33 AM
What will the nature of the adult content be (since you didn't post this in the Non-Sexual forum)?

Setting wise, what year does this take place?

Not sure about what sexual content will be within. Obviously exotic, as players aren't going to be limited to just human.

Setting wise, generic setting. I have a tendency of dislike towards Forgotten Realms, so I've never bothered running a game in that setting before.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pockets

Count me in. Dual wielding Rogue to be listed soon. Or I can see about sending it via PM.
08/02 - New A/A Update

ShadowFox89

Posting here is fine. Just make sure to spoiler so you don't take up too much room :)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 12, 2011, 04:25:50 PM
Not sure about what sexual content will be within. Obviously exotic, as players aren't going to be limited to just human.

Setting wise, generic setting. I have a tendency of dislike towards Forgotten Realms, so I've never bothered running a game in that setting before.

If it's Level 1, I'd assume you'd put it in the Human category, since none of the starting PC races are non-humanoid, and the 'Human' RP category does mention including near-humans like elves.

ShadowFox89

Right, so it'd be Human then, not sure about anything else involved. I suppose it depends on what player interest leans towards.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Snake

I'm still interested but dislike starting at level 1  Undermountain is pretty dangerous. you almost need to be a lvl 5 or greater to even have a chance.

ShadowFox89

A 4-person group going carefully shouldn't have too much problem with the starting areas of Undermountain.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

I'm interested. I've been trying to join (and start) a DnD game on here for a while. I'm more than happy to play a human fighter or barbarian, though I know nothing about the setting. Any limits on starting gold/equipment?

Er... if I can still play.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShadowFox89

Yes, of course you can still play. Setting knowledge isn't needed, as we are using a generic setting to give players room to make things up for backgrounds (you want to be the prince of a nearby kingdom in disguise? go for it). I won't be going first come basis, but will likely close recruitment after a certain time.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CrazyIvan

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 13, 2011, 09:15:19 PM
Yes, of course you can still play. Setting knowledge isn't needed, as we are using a generic setting to give players room to make things up for backgrounds (you want to be the prince of a nearby kingdom in disguise? go for it). I won't be going first come basis, but will likely close recruitment after a certain time.
Now I'm thinking I want to be a paladin or a monk. Oh well, off to find the standard point-buy charts and put together a character sheet.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: CrazyIvan on December 13, 2011, 09:18:39 PM
are you still looking for people?

I will be likely until the end of the year.

Oh, and 36pt buy for stats. I like high powered games.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CrazyIvan

what classes do you need and how many books do you want to use, cause some are pretty broken

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 13, 2011, 09:34:45 PM
I will be likely until the end of the year.

Oh, and 32pt buy for stats. I like high powered games.
Er... do you mean 36? Because that's what was in the first post.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CrazyIvan on December 13, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
what classes do you need and how many books do you want to use, cause some are pretty broken

Good point. Ban the PHB, to start with. :-)

Snake

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 12:45:35 PM
Good point. Ban the PHB, to start with. :-)

Good point. The player's handbook has three of the most broken classes in the entire game: the cleric, the druid, and the wizard.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 14, 2011, 01:40:46 PM
Good point. The player's handbook has three of the most broken classes in the entire game: the cleric, the druid, and the wizard.

Technically four or five most broken, if you allow Paladin and Monk as 'too-weak' broken.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 01:50:12 PM
Technically four or five most broken, if you allow Paladin and Monk as 'too-weak' broken.
I've known so pretty uber Paladins and monks, and that's without any real mini/maxing or anything. :\

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 01:52:33 PM
I've known so pretty uber Paladins and monks, and that's without any real mini/maxing or anything. :\
Point-for-optimization point, Paladins and Monks are the weakest core classes...you can make them good, but you can make any other class as good or better for the same amount of effort.

It also depends on context - if the Fighter likes to carry a Tower Shield and Full Plate, and thinks standing in one place and waving his longsword will convince the monsters to hit him instead of the squishies (and the DM agrees), the Wizard likes spamming Magic Missile and Fireball, and the Cleric only memorizes Cure spells, a Monk can indeed look good.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 01:59:20 PM
Point-for-optimization point, Paladins and Monks are the weakest core classes...you can make them good, but you can make any other class as good or better for the same amount of effort.

It also depends on context - if the Fighter likes to carry a Tower Shield and Full Plate, and thinks standing in one place and waving his longsword will convince the monsters to hit him instead of the squishies (and the DM agrees), the Wizard likes spamming Magic Missile and Fireball, and the Cleric only memorizes Cure spells, a Monk can indeed look good.
Ah yeah, for point buy definitely. Proof that the game was set up for rolls. :\

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 02:35:23 PM
Ah yeah, for point buy definitely. Proof that the game was set up for rolls. :\

Well, I wasn't referring to point-buy by 'point-for-point', but it's true that both of said classes suffer significantly under Point-Buy because of their severe MAD. Even with maxed-out stats, though, the Paladin is still an utterly boring chassis devoid of any relevant or meaningful abilities after level 5, and the Monk is a schizophrenic heap of every kung-fu movie cliche ever with negative synergy. It wants to do too many things, and ends up being mediocre at all of them.

ShadowFox89

Pretty much. If you guys prefer, we could go with Pathfinder classes, though I'd have to say the basic set and psionics only in that case because I have only played PF two or three times.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

If you've played 3.5, you've played PF. The only differences worth caring about are skills (which changed for the better) and Combat Maneuvers (grossly simplified, and severely weakened in the process).

Using PF's a good idea anyways, the base classes have more abilities and can be much more fun to play, even if they didn't significantly change the power differentials.

Inkidu

Well, I don't have any Path Finder materials or anything...
So, I guess I'm out if that's what you guys decide.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 02:59:48 PM

Yes you do.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 02:59:48 PM

There's the SRD, which has plenty of material.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 14, 2011, 03:03:42 PM
There's the SRD, which has plenty of material.
You're going to have to de-abbreviate SRD for me.

ShadowFox89

System Reference Document. Glyphstone linked it in his post. It has all the relevant information for building a Pathfinder character and it's what I use when I can't mooch a book from a friend for a day or two.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

I'm reading it and there's just enough new terms and stuff that really throws me off.

Like a level one pathfinder monks gets both stunning fist and improved grapple?

ShadowFox89

Pathfinder is essentially a collection of houserules put together in the form of a published work. You can read through Unearthed Arcana and find much of the same stuff.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 14, 2011, 03:24:33 PM
Pathfinder is essentially a collection of houserules put together in the form of a published work. You can read through Unearthed Arcana and find much of the same stuff.
I kind of got that vibe, I guess I'm just not familiar enough with it though. Like CMD. I found it in the glossary, but I have no idea how to determine it.

ShadowFox89

Combat Maneuvers are things like bull rushing, tripping, and disarming.

Your CMB (Combat Maneuver Bonus) is Strength + Base Attack Bonus. Your CMD (Combat Maneuver Defense) is 10+ Strength Bonus + Dexterity Bonus. Both have modifiers applied based on size in a 1:1 increment.

CMD is used to opposed CMB. To break it down, it is a separate attack and defense form for doing things other than hitting people with a stick or throwing fireballs.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

So they basically took things like bullrush and charge and gave them their own values?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 04:14:22 PM
So they basically took things like bullrush and charge and gave them their own values?

More that they took things like Bullrush and Charge and made it so you roll against a fixed target number, instead of making it an opposed check where both sides roll dice. It makes them much harder at low levels, and a bit easier at high levels.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 04:18:19 PM
More that they took things like Bullrush and Charge and made it so you roll against a fixed target number, instead of making it an opposed check where both sides roll dice. It makes them much harder at low levels, and a bit easier at high levels.
I don't suppose you'd know where I could procure some Pathfinder PDFs?

ShadowFox89

The Paizo website or, I believe, DriveThruRPG. Can't give you a suggestion on anything else of course.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 04:20:32 PM
I don't suppose you'd know where I could procure some Pathfinder PDFs?

You can get everything Paizo has published for Pathfinder except its adventure modules 100% legal and for free at the SRD that I linked above.

Inkidu

Okay... skills. I don't get pathfinders use of skill ranks.

EDIT: Never mind, it finally clicked.

ShadowFox89

It's just like 3.5, except with the following:

Max ranks = Hit Die
Class skills = +3 bonus to skills
If you are in your favored class, +1 skill point a level or +1 hit point.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=353190

That should take you to the pathfinder version of the essentially same character.
I need to know starting cash and traits, but I think I've got it down. :D

ShadowFox89

Max starting gold for your character. And please list when you got your feat (1st level, human bonus, monk bonus, etc).

You also get to pick a favored class. If you pick monk. you get an additional +1 skill point or hit point per level. Also, as a human, you get an additional skill point.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Like this:

Feat name (1st. Lvl feat)
Feat name (human bonus feat)
etc.

Inkidu

NicciKotor

Anymore room left?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

ShadowFox89

Plenty of room. Though, could you spoiler the image? It stretches the screen when I use my phone.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CrazyIvan

So the game is now a pathfinder one. Hurray!! I like pathfinder better :)

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, if this is pathfinder I could be interested join also. Pathfinder classes are more fun than 3.5 ones :). Do you allow Summoner?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 15, 2011, 08:44:56 AM
I would prefer no summoner.
My curiosity and unfamiliarity with Pathfinder in general begs me to ask why. Are they over-powered or something?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2011, 10:27:30 AM
My curiosity and unfamiliarity with Pathfinder in general begs me to ask why. Are they over-powered or something?

As far as Pathfinder goes, yeah, they're one of the worse new offenders. They work like a Druid without wildshape and a more powerful companion that they can customize, and some decent spellcasting.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 15, 2011, 10:33:20 AM
As far as Pathfinder goes, yeah, they're one of the worse new offenders. They work like a Druid without wildshape and a more powerful companion that they can customize, and some decent spellcasting.
Well, as a rule of thumb I tend to stay away from any class that casts spells. Prep gives me a headache. :\
Yeah, most magic users are quadratic to monks or fighters, but I was never good at quadratic math. XC

ShadowFox89

Well, to start, a Summoner can use Summon Monster as a spell like ability 3+charisma mod times per day.... Assuming you get the max possible for charisma (20) at first level, that's 8 times a day. AND the creature sticks around for 1min/level.

Yeah... The summoner is on my 'do not want' list, sorry.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Well, you can't use SM when the Eidolon is out, but the Eidolon is good enough that you don't need the summons. Definitely an imbalancing class at 1st level though.

ShadowFox89

In general, anything outside of the basic 11 classes + 4 psionic classes, ask first.

So far, we only have a monk in our group. That leaves room for... Just about everything else.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 15, 2011, 11:56:04 AM
In general, anything outside of the basic 11 classes + 4 psionic classes, ask first.

So far, we only have a monk in our group. That leaves room for... Just about everything else.
Not just any monk. Boyscout monk. Rogues and kleptos beware! >:D

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Yay! Pathfinder!

Really want to play this foxgirl picture I found, but translating that into a pathfinder system is going to be tricky. May just cullcrap myself into a sorceress build with her, but I would still need a custom race for her. Nothing silly and just maybe something along the lines of a half elf.

ShadowFox89

Hmm... Maybe find a pathfinder version of the catfolk and adapt those?

edit: And found one here
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, nice write up there for catfolks :). Anyways ok, no summoner. Perhaps a paladin then or figther.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, or I could re-create my favorite concept; a wood/wild elf barbarian with dual wielding swords or great spear. That also can work as a tank :). With HP and right rage power choices.

NicciKotor

Eh fuck it, I cannot figure out a good enough class to show off this amazing artwork. So I might as well go sorceress with her:

NicciKotor

Do you also know the proper way to publish maps on the board here, DM? It's quite simple.

1) Download and install gametable.
2) Draw the map there and place pogs and blah blah.
3) Download and install paint.net
4) Once map is done, print screen.
5) paste into paint.net and use the crop to crop down the print screen to the map.
6) Save it as .jpeg and put onto imageshack and paste imageshack link here.

Like this:

ShadowFox89

Unfortunately, the computer I use is extremly old with low memory and hdd space, so downloading anything is out. Luckily, the first ten levels of the game will involve a published adventure and I can hopefully find the maps somewhere.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 16, 2011, 01:58:23 AM
Unfortunately, the computer I use is extremly old with low memory and hdd space, so downloading anything is out. Luckily, the first ten levels of the game will involve a published adventure and I can hopefully find the maps somewhere.

It would be like 50 megs at most.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, Nicci, bard also would fit as they got nice flashy magic :). Also would support catfolk charisma bonus.

NicciKotor

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 16, 2011, 02:05:05 AM
Hmmm, Nicci, bard also would fit as they got nice flashy magic :). Also would support catfolk charisma bonus.

Nah, I found a sorceress bloodline that gives plenty of druidic flair to the class.

ShadowFox89

So, it seems we just need a healer. I'll update first post after some sleep.

Speaking of, what Is everyone's posting time and rate?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

After I survive my research I am usually online several hours a day. Getting a posting speed of 2-3 per day mostly relies on people being online at the same time in the first place.

CrazyIvan

depends on the time of year, as I am a college student, and what the last few posts have been. Right now I have winter break so I have a lot more free time so I can post a typical 1~3 paragraph posts about 2~4 times a day, 2 being the more likely of the range, but upwards of 10 are not unheard of for me. If you are looking for a larger post then 3 as it is a story element or that is what is required maybe one or two of those a day. During the school year my posting rate drops to one or three post a day or every other day, depending on the course load I have and if tests are due. This also begs a question from me, what is everyone's posting style as in do they favor one liners or paragraphs, as I am curious and find a series of one liners posts in a day that takes up 2 pages daunting to read and mildly entertaining.

ShadowFox89

I would only ask/expect one paragraph posts from people. If you give me more, all the better.

Next step is getting fluff from everyone.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 16, 2011, 02:12:54 AM
So, it seems we just need a healer. I'll update first post after some sleep.

Speaking of, what Is everyone's posting time and rate?
I'll probably have to adjust this when I start school back up, and if my RL DND Group gets back together. However, 2-3 times a wek maybe about 4-5 posts, maybe more maybe less for the days I'm on.

ShadowFox89

Well, just a warning Ink, I go by the 48hr rule for combat. When combat has started and it is your turn, you have 48hrs from the time of the last post to do your turn or be skipped. I do this because pbp is slow already.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 16, 2011, 04:57:11 PM
Well, just a warning Ink, I go by the 48hr rule for combat. When combat has started and it is your turn, you have 48hrs from the time of the last post to do your turn or be skipped. I do this because pbp is slow already.
Shouldn't be a problem, in fact, if I do take longer than 48hrs, you can probably just go ahead and make the next logical attack. Like I said though it probably won't be a problem for combat. I mean it's combat.

Will you provide the combat descriptions or leave it to the player?

ShadowFox89

Players can provide combat description, I'll have the monster's AC, HP, saves, etc posted up so we can keep things going smooth.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CrazyIvan

So are we waiting for one more person and for people to finish making characters or till the end of the year?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 16, 2011, 03:17:39 AM
I would only ask/expect one paragraph posts from people. If you give me more, all the better.

Next step is getting fluff from everyone.
"Fluff"?

ShadowFox89

Shorthand for character information. Personalities, backgrounds, physical descriptions, any relatives I can use as hostages....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 17, 2011, 07:26:39 PM
Shorthand for character information. Personalities, backgrounds, physical descriptions, any relatives I can use as hostages....
Strictly story-based stuff, about a paragraph a piece?

ShadowFox89

Well, Undermountain only goes to level 10. So if you'd like to have stuff to go on for personal goals after that (I am a firm supporter in PC Plot over Story Plot), anything you can think of would be good, but nothing novel sized.

About 2-3 paragraphs for each if you can manage, otherwise all I'd need is a paragraph.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 17, 2011, 06:07:58 PM
Players can provide combat description, I'll have the monster's AC, HP, saves, etc posted up so we can keep things going smooth.

I like to keep the DM info in a spoiler text on each post of mine when I DM. That way I can just scroll  up and see what is there.

NicciKotor

Here we go:

Horo, the Lightning Wolf

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=9886

ShadowFox89

Horo will be wearing cloths.... Right? Otherwise it might make your start rather interesting...
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 18, 2011, 09:13:21 PM
Horo will be wearing cloths.... Right? Otherwise it might make your start rather interesting...
That's one word for it.

In other non-naked news: Has anyone stepped up to play a healer?

ShadowFox89

Nope, no healer yet. I'll post up a list on the OP (that's original post) of who has what so far. Please make sure you have a linked sheet in this thread.

As far as nudity, Horo is free to go clothes-free while in the dungeon itself, it's just most standard entrances require going through large crowds.... Though I could always to a solo start and have her meet up in the dungeon ;)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 18, 2011, 09:13:21 PM

Clothes are a invented of the humans to placate their repressed sexual desires, and I shall have none of that! If I do have to go out and about in human culture, I can just wear a cloak and that is that!

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 18, 2011, 10:36:15 PM
I'll keep the monster moth swarms on standby ;P

That is one of the reasons why I picked sorceress, since I can wander the battlefield naked and be proud of it!

who149

Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

ShadowFox89

I believe so. I think I had a fighter before, but I think I lost the PM it came in (hence asking for them to be posted in here)

Could everyone also give me, in this thread:

Character Name:
Sex:
Physical and Mental Description:
Ons:
Offs:

The last two just to keep things open for you guys and so I have an idea of where to stick this game.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Character Name: Horo
Race: Wolfgirl
Sex: Female
Physical and Mental Description: Taunt form that has been through plenty of exciting 'adventures' with fellow adventurers, along with a sharp charismatic personality and wit. Prides herself with getting as many people to sleep with her in order to help break the ice and just enjoy life!
Ons: bondage, petplay, orgies, piercings, tattoos, humiliation, exhibitionism, spanking.
Offs: Scat

who149

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=9898
Character Name: Le'thral
Race: Elf
Sex: Male
Physical and Mental Description: A Dashing looking elf, pure white hair and a short content smile. He recently signed up for this little adventure for the wealth that adventures tend to make, as well as the fame and glory. He also has quit a bit of built up rage he wishes to express with his Great-sword (The sexy wolf girl didn't hurt either). This being the real first adventure he's been on, he is a little bit inexperienced, not yet use to the weight of armor in combat situations, swinging his sword against a serious foe. He trained for a while for this, he has rather good strength, and is rather quick on his feet.
Ons: Women, some men, multiple-partners, audiences, light-bondage, public places.
Offs: Scat, gore, dismemberment

Ons and offs!

NicciKotor

who149

As always, you have the Greatest Characters Nicci.

And you make me want to watch Spice and Wolf again.

Ons and offs!

Inkidu

Character name: Shadlin Ghost-Step
Race: Human

Mental and Physical Description: Description: Standing at six feet and an inch and just under two hundred pounds, Shandlin doesn’t look as imposing as one might think.  Lithe and athletic where warriors of comparable size are muscular and imposing. He has a lean look about him, but walks with a level of ease and serenity. Hawkish and observant blue eyes and narrow faced. He wears his hair short, but has a short braid in the back. He’s unshaven with a few scars and pock marks along his cheeks.
Typically wears nothing but his grey and blue monk’s robes. He wears black slipper-like shoes that are cross gartered up to the knee. He wears a small set of prayer beads with a wooden lotus over his right wrist and forearm. Has a few tattoos denoting his level of study. They’re a combination of lotuses and symbols of his order. They are located on his back and the entirety of his left arm.

Shadlin is aware of the corruption and evil that exists, but isn’t tempered against it. He’s naïve to some degree, but mostly where women or betrayal are concerned. Shadlin is shaped by the teachings of the monastery more than real-world experience. He’s not given to relying on other, because his order believes all answers lie within the self. He tends to be too honest for his own good, and terse and literal in his observations.  while the school preaches caution Shadlin tends not suffer overt acts of evil or injustice.

Ons and Offs: Maybe not all those ons for the sake of this game, but certainly all the offs.

ShadowFox89

Alright, we got room for two more people. I'll update the thread name to reflect this. Preference will be given to a healer first.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 19, 2011, 11:05:06 PM
Alright, we got room for two more people. I'll update the thread name to reflect this. Preference will be given to a healer first.
Isn't four people enough to start, or is this one of those games where we'll need someone to put our spleens back on the inside?

ShadowFox89

This would be one of those, yes. Undermountain is not easy and a cleric or equivalent is someone who is pretty much needed to keep you from dying.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 19, 2011, 11:39:47 PM
This would be one of those, yes. Undermountain is not easy and a cleric or equivalent is someone who is pretty much needed to keep you from dying.
Not that any tabletop gamer would ever do anything ludicrous, over-the-top, and completely suicidal just becomes he or she might come out the other side cooler than sliced bread.  ::)

who149

If no healer is found in a day or two, I can change to be a cleric.

Ons and offs!

swordwind

Well I wouldn't mind a try at Pathfinder as a healer, shouldn't be to hard to learn right?

ShadowFox89

If you are familiar with 3.5e, PF should be easy for you to learn.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NicciKotor

Quote from: swordwind on December 20, 2011, 12:22:15 AM
Well I wouldn't mind a try at Pathfinder as a healer, shouldn't be to hard to learn right?

The only thing different about clerics is no turn undead and the domains are more robust. Domains now give some sort of special powers in addition to the spells that are more interesting then +1 level for all good spells and other boring crap like that.

ShadowFox89

Also, would everyone like to start knowing each other? It would save everyone from that awkward introduction stage.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Here is my char now.

Pic
Character Name: Kolgosh
Race: Elf (wilder variant; +2 Str, +2 Dex and -2 Int also Desert Runner elf racial trait)
Class: Barbarian (Savage Barbarian variant)
Biography: Kolgosh is from southern deserts, from a wild roaming wild elf tribe which had long millenia ago ran to the south escape Elven Wars in ancient
past. They were not fully safe in harsh desert but it was their new home which over centuries and generations embraced. Slowly they forgot entirely their ancestral roots and customs
and instead build new society in the south which was more similar to tribal culture which has elven culture flavor as well. Kolgosh is six foot tall wiry muscular elf who has raven black
long wildly loose hair and bright green runic tattoos covering his muscular frame.

He eschews wearing armor but he carries a serrated bastard sword one hand and shield in other. He like many before him in his tribe, Crimson Sand,
embraces life as tribe's champion and he seeks to find undying glory in battle and hope his deeds will mark him as legend and so even if he would die he would live on the tales what his
deeds inspired. It's prime reason why he adventures and why he had wandered far away from his desert home to all way to civilization.
Ons/Offs: Check my signature

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 20, 2011, 01:49:31 AM
Also, would everyone like to start knowing each other? It would save everyone from that awkward introduction stage.
I'd prefer not to myself, if only to avoid the dreaded "you all meat in a tavern" cliche. I would be up for meeting in the first level of the dungeon in medias res, maybe with a Mexican standoff, then have the people briefly explain why they're there and then join up.

However, this is just a suggestion. If I'm in the minority I will go along with it, and it would depend on what type of dungeon Undermountain is (i.e. curse castle, old mine, old... dungeon, literally.)

Zaer Darkwail

I myself prefer know the party already from one shared adventure at least.

Gary Stargazer

I'm not familiar with path finder as a system, however I am familiar with 3.5 and my fave classes to play in D&D are healer types. So if you guys are willing to let me deal with a learning curb of figuring out PF I could try rolling up a cleric or something. :3
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

who149

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on December 20, 2011, 08:09:05 AM
I'm not familiar with path finder as a system, however I am familiar with 3.5 and my fave classes to play in D&D are healer types. So if you guys are willing to let me deal with a learning curb of figuring out PF I could try rolling up a cleric or something. :3

Don't worry, theres no really big difference. http://www.d20pfsrd.com
Basically pathfinder is just an updated 3.5 (3.75?)

In something slightly related. I accidently made my character in 3.5~ My bad (not that it really changed much,) Anyway heres my updated Character Sheet

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=9907

Ons and offs!

Gary Stargazer

I've not played 3.5 in a few years so I may be a bit rusty, but if it's similar then I should be ok.
Thanks for the link. *slinks off the study.*

Inkidu

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 20, 2011, 07:15:37 AM
I myself prefer know the party already from one shared adventure at least.
I'd really just like to avoid the "you all meet in a tavern". I really do not like that kind of thing. It's not going to break me out of the game or anything. It's just really obvious and overused.

who149

When I DM games. I reallly try to avoid the meet in the tavern thing. But, it can be a really really good start, especially for lvl 1 characters, even if it was overused. A tavern allows  a meeting place, as well as a good bit of roleplaying to get to know the character, for both the controlling character and surrounding characters.

And I don't think we could  have had a "previous" adventure being level 1 O.o

Ons and offs!

Gary Stargazer

I didn't realize how out of the loop I am on all this. I will need to really do some studying up on all this. I should also PM the GM, I've got some questions about the game and what is ok to play etc. :3

who149

Well, if you going to play a healer, I'd go for the basic Cleric.

Other then that, any base race should be fine.

If you want a character sheet online (which is really really helpful) http://plothook.net is a pretty good one, as it does a lot of the work for you. You'll have to make an account, which shouldn't take long. Then you just go too Plothook tools, Character sheet profiler. Then you type in your characters name and choose your template (pathfinder RPG).

When you get to the character sheet, fill it out. Its a point buy system, so you'll have to look that up.

Afterwords, save it, and then from your profiler set it to public.

Ons and offs!

swordwind

As it  seems that their is a bid going on for healer I'll put my guy in and then the group and sort it all out in who they would like to keep.

Character Name: Grinex the Scarred Age: 25
Race: Half-Orc
Physical and Mental Description: Born in the harsh life of someone between two races Grinex couldn't handle a normal mortal life and turned to religion for aid. Years of training and study taught him things that transended race and he saw the larger picture of the world. To aid his Deity and his companions. To fight off pain and suffering wherever it came to light. To protect the weak and encourage the strong to push themselves to their limits.

Taking upon himself the markings of his church he marched out of his temple and joined the world. Standing out from the norm at 6ft and with greenish skin he worn his holy symbol with pride. Always giving something out to those in need and assisting weaker people that needed even a small amount of aid. He uses his strength and faith to heal the lands.

Personality Wise he's calm and quiet and tries to give out his insight when needed. He works quietly when their are wounded and mummers while doing so. Overall he never backs down from those in need and makes sure everyone comes back alive from whatever the ordeal. 

Ons/Offs: Check sig

Gary Stargazer

Oh I'm terribly sorry swordwind, I didn't even see your post, and you even posted before me too!
I will happily retract my request to join as a cleric since you claimed it first. I apologize for seeming like I was trying to root you out.

If you guys still would have me I will happily roll up another type of char instead, Just let me know Shadow!

swordwind

Well we did both post on the same day, and my dull black normal text doesn't stand out to much. But thanks, if you still wanted to make something and the group decides it's better I'd be fine with it as well.

who149

It would appear all the basic classes, so you can basically make any class you want and it'll still be a pretty good party.

If you want I think you can continue to make your cleric or another healing class. Two healers would keep us in check and give a nice back up.

You can also try Druid or Paladin would also fit that.

You could try to be a wizard or sorcerer, extra magic is always helpful.

Fighter or Barbarian, to assist my character in the front lines.

Ranger's are good if you feel to be a striker sort.

You can be Bard, which is good for diplomatic situations, as well as decent support spells and songs to support, and rather skilled.

So your options are pretty open.

Ons and offs!

Gary Stargazer

I was thinking druid or bard right now, but I won't set anything up concrete until after I hear from Shadow.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Gary Stargazer

Well if you're ok with it Shadow I will get something wrote up in a bit here, you may want to refer to my PM I sent you about my question though, I may have some more questions as well if I go druid.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Gary Stargazer

Oh well ok then, the first question is I noticed that Nicci is playing a wolf girl, I'm partial to fox boy/girls and would love to play a fox boy for my char but i couldn't find a template for that in the PF areas. What would I need to do to pull that off? Can I just use human as a base or do you have a preference as far as that goes?

I don't care about any stat bonuses or what not, I just want it for the role playing sake of it. :3

who149

I'm thinking -2 Con, and either +2 to WIS or CHA.

Low light Vision

Something like that?

Ons and offs!

ShadowFox89

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 15, 2011, 11:59:29 PM
Hmm... Maybe find a pathfinder version of the catfolk and adapt those?

edit: And found one here

I believe this is what we're using for Nicci's wolfgirl.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Gary Stargazer

Well you're the man to ask, if you're ok with it i'm happy to adapt it as well.

Inkidu

Bards can be pretty bad-ass, especially since I'm sure it would be easy to adapt a lot of The Complete Scoundrel to Pathfinder.

A friend of mine plays a Bard who carries around a rapier, a light crossbow, a hidden blade on both wrists, in both boots, and a hidden elbow blade. He also multi-classed as a battle mage.

who149

I like playing Bard whenever I'm in a live game. I LOVE to ham it up. Thats the entire fun of being a Bard XD being expected to be the largest ham as possible.

Ons and offs!

Gary Stargazer

I've decided to go with my original idea of having a pervy foxy cleric. Here is the bio I wrote up. I will get the char made once I get some sleep, I've been up way to long and need a nap.
I hope this looks ok!

Character Name: Renard Snowfall
Race: Half-Kitsune(fox boy)
Physical and Mental Description:
Hailing from the frigid nothern lands, Renard has long snowy white hair with large fox ears protruding out of the top of his head along with two fox like tails at the base of his spine, the fur of them sharing the same color as his hair. His eyes are bright red and his skin has a very fair complexion to it.

He stands at a slightly below average hight for his race, with the typical male under a standard human males hight by a few inches. Physically his build is well toned but without excessive muscle, infact his stature could be considered slightly feminen and he is often mistaken for the fairer sex by other races due to the smaller stature of his species.

Each of his perky ears have three gold loops in them and draped around his neck is a holy symbol of the Goddess Calistria. His clothes consist of very thin pale yellow robes, the silky material does little to hide the majority of his body, offering just enough concealment to get him by in populated towns and cities.

Renard has a very carefree disposition when it comes to life and often finds himself lost in his own day dreams. He is a devout follower of the Goddess Calistria and takes to heart her teachings from the book of joy, often times eager to engage others in intamacy to share the blessings of the pleasure that Calistria offers to her flock.

His attitude when working with a group is very supportive and he will do his best to keep his compainions healthy and happy, both on and off the battle field. When he is not adventuring he prefers to spend his time in Calistria's temple, enjoying the company of fellow worshipers and travelers.

Considering himself a romantic, Renard loves foreplay and emotions of enderment with his sexual encounters. However that being said he has no complaints about the simple carnal desires of wanting release and will happily oblidge a potential lover regardless of emotional attachement.

(You can find most of my on/off's in my RP preferences, but here are a few specifically for Renard. For example a general distaste for bondage since he doesn't enjoy being tied down.)

Ons: Women, Men, Multiple-Partners, Exhibitionism, Oral, Foreplay, Romance, Followers of his Deity, Breast play, Anal
Offs: Scat, Pain, Gore, Humiliation, Rape

Gary Stargazer

shoot I forgot to add something, sorry for double posting but i can't edit. Anyhoo yes it is another cleric but I think two clerics in the party would help it out since from what you guys say, this adventure is tricky for low level chars. Also I will probably specifically focus him in the Charm(Lust) School of magic, so he won't be as varied as Grinex when it comes to healing and support.

Inkidu

Quote from: who149 on December 20, 2011, 05:45:27 PM
I like playing Bard whenever I'm in a live game. I LOVE to ham it up. Thats the entire fun of being a Bard XD being expected to be the largest ham as possible.
Nothing like taking ranks in Knowledge (Literary and plot self-awareness).

I almost brought my ranger, but the allure of kung-fu was far too strong. Plus, I'm still at the point in gaming where every class holds some appeal to play.

who149

I never played monk. Granted. I usually DM so I don't get to actually play a lot. But when I do play, i'm usually either Sorcerer, Fighter, or Bard

Ons and offs!

Inkidu

Quote from: who149 on December 20, 2011, 06:08:37 PM
I never played monk. Granted. I usually DM so I don't get to actually play a lot. But when I do play, i'm usually either Sorcerer, Fighter, or Bard
I find a nice way to play as DM is through NPCs, make up a good character who could be a good NPC for the game your Dming and a good PC for later. Have the NPC goof off for a bit, let the PCs show him or her up and have them leave. You get to play and no one has to be any the wiser.

ShadowFox89

I can't stand playing a DMPC because I'd rather let the PC's do more of the work :P

I admit it, I'm a lazy DM.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

who149

When I was starting out I used to make NPC's to play as. But, I learned that always turned out horrible.

Although, I do tend to make rival NPC's that I tend to get into.

Or sometimes my players somehow convince me to give them an ally through idiotic means. One infamous example was a *ahem* "Demon Stripper with a gun" In a world of darkness game.

Ons and offs!

Inkidu

Quote from: who149 on December 20, 2011, 07:16:12 PM
When I was starting out I used to make NPC's to play as. But, I learned that always turned out horrible.

Although, I do tend to make rival NPC's that I tend to get into.

Or sometimes my players somehow convince me to give them an ally through idiotic means. One infamous example was a *ahem* "Demon Stripper with a gun" In a world of darkness game.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I never try to upstage the PCs. It's there show, but I can't help but interject a cool NPC every once and a while, but it's typically because they have a shared goal so by the end of the adventure the NPC is gone.

The only time I deliberately had show off NPCs was for the experimentation of a certain style of game. The PCs were all actually mercenaries, they are the mooks. The guys you hire to pad out an excavation or pull the treasure back up. So the NPCs were actually the heroes and the PCs were the mooks. Have you ever seen a PC go ecstatic on getting 100gp? I have. :)

However, they were still special and integral to the plot and all that. It was just that they couldn't use the, "We're heroes!" excuse.

They actually love the game. But you have to know your players. It's a fun one to try though.

who149

Quote from: Inkidu on December 20, 2011, 07:38:54 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I never try to upstage the PCs. It's there show, but I can't help but interject a cool NPC every once and a while, but it's typically because they have a shared goal so by the end of the adventure the NPC is gone.

The only time I deliberately had show off NPCs was for the experimentation of a certain style of game. The PCs were all actually mercenaries, they are the mooks. The guys you hire to pad out an excavation or pull the treasure back up. So the NPCs were actually the heroes and the PCs were the mooks. Have you ever seen a PC go ecstatic on getting 100gp? I have. :)

However, they were still special and integral to the plot and all that. It was just that they couldn't use the, "We're heroes!" excuse.

They actually love the game. But you have to know your players. It's a fun one to try though.

Yeah. It is something I should try. Throw in a hammy Bard, or a high level Sorcerer with an Owl named Twilight Sparkle. Should be fun.

Ons and offs!

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

who149

Its an awesome show :P and the fact that you knew who I was talking about speaks for itself.

But fine, no more MLP references, even if I did just spend the last 5 minutes thinking about what classes the mane 6 would be.

Ons and offs!

ShadowFox89

That's because I know someone who makes constant references to it. He drives everyone insane.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

who149

Alright :P sorry.

I won't make any more references too it.

In unrelated news, shouldn't you change the title now that we have 5 players?

Ons and offs!

ShadowFox89

We've actually got 6 players, so I'll be closing recruitment :P

Once everyone has the basic character stuff up, I'll open an OOC (which area do you suggest? NC-Human?)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

who149

I'm not sure. We've got Fox guys, wolf girls, and shagging certain monsters is not completely unlikely.

I'd put it in Exotic, but Im just the sort of person who likes his options open.

Ons and offs!

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Gary Stargazer

With the GM's permission I was wondering if I could tweak the cat folk race bonuses to suit more towards a kitsune. In my opinion I would like to see

+2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Str. Compared to the cat folk template which was. +2 Dex, +2 Char, -2 Wis.
This would reflect the fact that foxes compared to other lupines like wolves and dogs, would be weaker in stature, reflecting in the reduced strength.

Base speed reduced to 30 instead of 40, to reflect the loss of dex bonus.
Keep Lowlight Vision
Change the racial skill bonuses from "Perception and stealth +2" and replace it with "Diplomacy and Perception +2"

I COULD keep the dodge bonus to AC since foxes are light on their feet, but given the removal of the dex bonus I'm not sure how much sense that would make. So if anyone could suggest something to replace it, I would be ok with that. :3

I'm not trying to be troublesome of course and if this is too much trouble please just tell me.