Why People Don't Walk Cats

Started by Lilias, March 27, 2010, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Aiden

Because they are stupid, selfish and lazy!

Dog's really are man's best friend.

jouzinka

XD

hahaha, that was funny. I'd say that cat was blessed with SOME patience. I think my claws would have been drawn and used far sooner. ;D
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Lilias

Quote from: Aiden on March 27, 2010, 09:42:42 AM
Because they are stupid, selfish and lazy!

They are criminal masterminds, actually.

Cat attempts murder.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Muninn

Haha!!! That was simply awesome. Thank you for posting this!! :D

I have one of those harnesses for my cat but we usually just put it on him and tied a rope to it to let him wander the backyard without jumping a wall.

I've actually seen a woman around the city I am currently living in actually be somewhat successful in walking her (GOLIATH) cat!

Nosferatu

That made me laugh so hard. SO hard.

My sister tried walking our cat once. She got as far as putting the harness on her, then it was like kung-fu kitty had been unleashed. She must have jumped about three feet in the air, doing flips and screaming. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

Twili

Poor poor cat... Being dragged around. I tried that once when I was real little. My cat was too fat though so I had to give up.
The cat was probably wondering why that girl was interrupting it's 18 hours of sleep...

As for the murderous one... It was perfectly planned. The cat just pushed the TV just a little too hard.
“The optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be."

Avis habilis

My friend & I beg to differ.

When we lived in Virginia, the boy once treed a possum. If he hadn't been on the end of a leash I bet he would have gone up after it.

Beguile's Mistress

My Mina did the same thing.  Some cats have passive/agressive down to a science.   :P

As for the TV.  The cat knew if it landed on the man it probably wouldn't break.   >:)

Alric Sanosake

My black cat Serge loves walks, but.. he is pulling you with his 23 pounds of muscle.. and you are amazed.

As for the second link, My white cat Mouse knocked my monitor on my friend's head while he was sleeping.. earlier that day, my friend was being a dick to him. So revenge.
I am the king... I am the god... I am the warrior... I am the husband... I am the father... but inside... I am truly the beast. The beast that ravishes, murders, and pillages. You ask who I am? I am the Wolf King. I am Alric. Fear me

stormsfury

No, THIS is why people don't tend to walk cats.   Cat on a Leash

Beguile's Mistress

That looked more like tetherball than walking a cat!  Funny!  :D

stormsfury

It cracked me up and I thought of that clip as soon as I saw the title of this thread.

Tachi

lol, I've walked my cat before. She actually walked though. Also, if I get a Savana cat (BIG domestic cat--size of a medium dog) I'll have to walk her.

Bottles Broken

Muninn

Quote from: Tachi on March 30, 2010, 07:27:18 PM
lol, I've walked my cat before. She actually walked though. Also, if I get a Savana cat (BIG domestic cat--size of a medium dog) I'll have to walk her.

Be careful with that.  My co-worker used to work at a pet hospital and she told me a story about how a person came in with their Savannah on a leash, it saw a dog and flipped.

And not at the dog. 

The Savannah owner ended up having to go to the ICU after that.

midwestgal

Quote from: Lilias on March 27, 2010, 09:16:57 AM
That's why

I have two cats. The one cat will do exactly that. It's as if the weight of the entire world has suddenly been put on her shoulders and she can't move anymore. The other cat- forget it. She'll claw your face off if you even try to adjust her collar.
"He cannot be a part of me. Batman does not eat nachos!" - Batman, The Brave and The Bold

Tachi

Quote from: Muninn on March 31, 2010, 12:33:26 AM
The Savannah owner ended up having to go to the ICU after that.
And that's why pets should be socialized thoroughly and early. ^^;

KittyRivera

Anyone who thinks cats are horrible pets don't have the patience or love in them to properly socialize and train their pets. I am constantly horrified at threads like this when I see people calling cats "evil, lazy, mean, selfish" etc.

A properly socialized pet used to strangers, dogs, and children, who is treated with regular kindness and affection, will turn out to be one of the best pets anyone could own. Cats don't require walking, they are softer to the touch than dogs, prettier to look at, and shorthair indoor-only cats don't require regular bathing. A dog won't climb up on you while you're laying in bed and knead and purr on your chest. A dog can't look up at you with those amazing eyes and meow sweetly, or rub against you affectionately.

When you are a good enough person to treat a cat kindly, instead of roughhousing with them or ignoring them, you will teach the cat to enjoy and seek out human affection. The cat will grow to be extremely loving, will want to always be with you and near (on) you. I think cats are ideal pets for apartment owners, and people who cannot, for various reasons, walk a dog three or four times a day.

Muninn

Quote from: satindesire on April 03, 2010, 12:50:03 PM
Anyone who thinks cats are horrible pets don't have the patience or love in them to properly socialize and train their pets. I am constantly horrified at threads like this when I see people calling cats "evil, lazy, mean, selfish" etc.

A properly socialized pet used to strangers, dogs, and children, who is treated with regular kindness and affection, will turn out to be one of the best pets anyone could own. Cats don't require walking, they are softer to the touch than dogs, prettier to look at, and shorthair indoor-only cats don't require regular bathing. A dog won't climb up on you while you're laying in bed and knead and purr on your chest. A dog can't look up at you with those amazing eyes and meow sweetly, or rub against you affectionately.

When you are a good enough person to treat a cat kindly, instead of roughhousing with them or ignoring them, you will teach the cat to enjoy and seek out human affection. The cat will grow to be extremely loving, will want to always be with you and near (on) you. I think cats are ideal pets for apartment owners, and people who cannot, for various reasons, walk a dog three or four times a day.

Whoa, whoa... I'm not trying to start an argument here but I believe that was not the purpose of this thread. O_O
We were just having a giggle over a cute video of an owner attempting to walk their cat on a harness, a cat who would have none of that, and then at the video of the TV that dropped on the owner's head - we all know that it wasn't on purpose  (it was a horrible accident!) but it's fun to think of scheming kitties trying to do in their owners and take over the world at the same time.  A lot of us can sympathize with the video and have a good laugh as most cat personalities tend to run opposite of a dog's - most of the time, but not always.  We're not saying cats are evil - we are just loving their quirky and independent personalities.

Also, I'm sure all cat-owners here were calling their felines "lazy" or "evil" in the most affectionate way.  I am guilty of that as I often refer to my cat as a "pain in the ass" but in the most loving way as I love my cat (whom I mothered since he and his litter mates were a week an a half old) and I miss him.

If you were referring to my Savannah cat reply, well, they are beautiful and may be good house pets but when it comes down to it they are still more wild than domestic cats are and having a 20lb+ furball consisting of sharp claws and teeth is not a good idea especially if they are not socialized well (or if their personality runs more on the wild side)!

Off topic but my lady found an article of a study which blatantly states that "cat owners are smarter than dog owners."  Not just because cats are better than dogs but rather that cats generally require less attention than a dog does when you come down to it.  This is ideal for those people who have demanding jobs which requires them to spend hours and hours at their work (such as in research science). I'll have to ask her for the link but it sounds like an interesting article!  My lady is a research scientist and she has 2 cats who definitely get their fill of lovings and play time when she gets home.

KittyRivera

Quote from: Muninn on April 03, 2010, 10:59:41 PM
Whoa, whoa... I'm not trying to start an argument here but I believe that was not the purpose of this thread. O_O
We were just having a giggle over a cute video of an owner attempting to walk their cat on a harness, a cat who would have none of that, and then at the video of the TV that dropped on the owner's head - we all know that it wasn't on purpose  (it was a horrible accident!) but it's fun to think of scheming kitties trying to do in their owners and take over the world at the same time.  A lot of us can sympathize with the video and have a good laugh as most cat personalities tend to run opposite of a dog's - most of the time, but not always.  We're not saying cats are evil - we are just loving their quirky and independent personalities.

Also, I'm sure all cat-owners here were calling their felines "lazy" or "evil" in the most affectionate way.  I am guilty of that as I often refer to my cat as a "pain in the ass" but in the most loving way as I love my cat (whom I mothered since he and his litter mates were a week an a half old) and I miss him.

If you were referring to my Savannah cat reply, well, they are beautiful and may be good house pets but when it comes down to it they are still more wild than domestic cats are and having a 20lb+ furball consisting of sharp claws and teeth is not a good idea especially if they are not socialized well (or if their personality runs more on the wild side)!

Off topic but my lady found an article of a study which blatantly states that "cat owners are smarter than dog owners."  Not just because cats are better than dogs but rather that cats generally require less attention than a dog does when you come down to it.  This is ideal for those people who have demanding jobs which requires them to spend hours and hours at their work (such as in research science). I'll have to ask her for the link but it sounds like an interesting article!  My lady is a research scientist and she has 2 cats who definitely get their fill of lovings and play time when she gets home.

I was not referring to your post at all, as a matter of fact, I love the fact that you want to get a Savanna and walk it outside. That sounds incredibly sweet, and you seem like a very dedicated catmom.

I just think that cats have had enough persecution at the hands of people in the last few hundred years, and that's not going to change public opinion of them until we ALL stop calling them names that they're not.

HairyHeretic

You want persecution, check the PR a poor little rat has to deal with :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muninn

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 04, 2010, 05:04:24 PM
You want persecution, check the PR a poor little rat has to deal with :)

Rats!! <3 I love ratties!  They're cute AND they are intelligent!  I really wish I had one... maybe one day.  My cat is too clueless to figure out a rat would be a potential treat (he's clueless with my birds).

HairyHeretic

They make very good pets. Really you need a pair, as they're very social. Unfortunately they don't tend to live that long.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Moonhare

Quote from: stormsfury on March 29, 2010, 10:29:25 PM
No, THIS is why people don't tend to walk cats.   Cat on a Leash

A few inches up and that man would have been screaming something else completely. Poor man.