choosing the best area for a theme

Started by Captain Maltese, January 24, 2011, 05:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I am considering writing a number of posts about a topic close to my heart (BDSM) but I am not sure where to post it. On one hand it seems a good alternative to choose blogging; apparently blogs get highly profiled here. But since the rule seem to be one thread per original post, it'll be completely impossible for a new reader to check up on earlier posts in an orderly way - or is there some function for listing up all blog posts from one person in one go that I have missed out on?

Another alternative is to start a normal thread in On Topic; however, I have done that before and knowing how comments easily become a maze if the topic is popular, it is not optimal to keep it reasonably neat.

A third could be to have two threads maybe; one for the 'lessons' and one for comments/Q&A?

Any thoughts?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Lilias

How about 'Title [Part x, y, z]' on the header of each blog entry? That would take care of the post order, regardless of any jumble the comments make?
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Lilias on January 24, 2011, 05:29:01 AM
How about 'Title [Part x, y, z]' on the header of each blog entry? That would take care of the post order, regardless of any jumble the comments make?

Is there a way to access my entire list of blog entries with one click?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Narianna

It seems that you can click on "soandso's blog" under their name on the main blog page and it will show all of their blogs.

You can also put your blog in your signature.

Captain Maltese

I have looked at the front page of the blog feature now and there is more to it than I was aware of - I've only seen the thread area before now. It seems to have what I am looking for and I have asked for blogging access. Thanks for your help Lilias and Narianna.

Captain Maltese

Due to various reasons, the Blog area is no longer an option - for one thing, I do not wish to discuss bdsm in an area accessible to nonmembers. And I am definitely not going to start an external blog, for the same reason. My most likely choices now will be to either start a thread in the On Topic area or drop the matter entirely.

Blitzy

What about doing the write up in the Literary areas? Something like that? I know it's not technically a work of fiction, but it is non-fiction and it might count?
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

crystaltears

Quote from: Captain Maltese on January 25, 2011, 12:39:51 PM
Due to various reasons, the Blog area is no longer an option - for one thing, I do not wish to discuss bdsm in an area accessible to nonmembers. And I am definitely not going to start an external blog, for the same reason. My most likely choices now will be to either start a thread in the On Topic area or drop the matter entirely.

I hope you don't drop it entirely, I'd really like to read about your perspective on the matter, Sir. *Smiles* Perhaps Literary Discussion or On Topic, as has been suggested.

I don't blame you for not wanting to discuss BDSM in the area open to non-members. It can be somewhat limiting. *Hugs* Just be sure you point me to it when/if you settle on a place to put your writings on the subject, Sir.
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Cecilia

I would suggest On Topic is the appropriate place on the forums.

There are plenty of explicit blogs on the net--look at Marguerite's site as an example.  Other free blogging sites have no problem with adult content and will put up a warning "Contains Adult Content" for those pesky minors.   You could easily set up an alias on any of them.

Captain Maltese

I considered Literary Discussions for a while on your suggestion, but since I will neither be refering to written works nor to the subject of writing about bdsm, On Topic seems the better choice.

My wish not to write on an external site is based on the following: my intended readers are all HERE. At Elliquiy. Wonderful people who I talk with about bdsm in various ways, roleplay and sometimes IM with, and others I don't know yet or simply am on pleasant terms with. And I don't write just to talk, but very much in order to get direct feedback in the form of comments. If some of those comments are from people I know well, so much the better for me to understand the reason for their comments. Also I can study their other writing before replying to their comments, to likewise understand better. On an external site I expect that many Elliers would not wish to post personal remarks or to make an account to make a comments. I have looked at a couple of such external blogs of people I know here and they are wonderful works of writing - but the comments are few, anonymous and generally short. "Well said - Anonymous." doesn't give me anything beyond the little upper that someone actually took the time to say anything at all. By comparison, personal threads and blogs here at Elliquiy overflow with feedback and discussions. That is part of why I love this place. The 'minors' issue does not really concern me at all since I want to talk about bdsm things like philosophies, definitions and relationship issues rather than bodyparts.

My current plan is to start a normal thread in On Topic, and change the topic line as I go from one blog post to the next. It is not perfect as it will be messy when people refer to older post, but I don't see a better alternative at this point.

Captain Maltese

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=96243.0 This is the result, unless I am asked by the mods to change something. Thanks for the help everybody.