News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Moving away from SMF (Maybe)

Started by Vekseid, April 21, 2008, 11:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Okay, so, the SMF team just nixed the smf-drupal integration module, like, last Friday. It was taken down and no recourse was given. The Simple Machines team does not want to waste time making a compliant bridge for any gpled cms, not even Joomla (which also recently moved from SMF to phpBB), and is hostile to the idea of 'unifying' two sites, as they believe it will dilute their license.

* Drupal and Joomla are Content Management Systems (CMSes). SMF - Simple Machines Forum, is the CMS that 'runs' this forum. Wordpress, Livejournal and Blogspot also run their own CMSes, which run those sites (and in the case of Wordpress, many, many others). A wiki is another type of CMS - Wikipedia and Elluiki run off of Mediawiki. 

I want to move to a CMS for the entire site, so that members can set up their own blogs, and so that the front page is more powerful and less fugly. Since Wordpress is mostly a single-user blog system, the options were Joomla and Drupal and after trying and failing to do what should have been stupid-simple in Joomla... going with Drupal.

So, I obviously want to integrate it with the forum, but I can't. Straw + Camel = broken back.

So, I want to move the forums to PHPBB3. The security record is -significantly- better than phpbb2, and has a lot of features that SMF and even SMF 2 will lack. The most important ones either have a module available, are simple to rewrite, or are things I want to completely redesign anyway.

The move is probably going to happen some time after I move the front page to Drupal (Which will be painless), but moving to PHPBB3 will take nearly as long as upgrading to SMF 2 will (ie, several hours). It won't happen until I've tested the process and made things work appropriately on my own machine (including a new triple-column layout) - so don't worry about things getting broken for good.

I'm posting this here as a forewarning and to gather vitriol and opinions. : )

Vekseid

Another option, if this turns out to be much, is to keep Drupal separate from the forum and just add accounts for people who want blogs.  Thinking about it that may be a better option... still, the whole integration shutdown bit is somewhat irritating.

King_Furby

I am glad you found another options, some shutdown time is fine with me as it will better this place.

I think it's a wonderful idea to have people ask to get a blog, as i won't really want one as long as there will be a profile option to keep track of notes and things or if i can continue to use my ons and offs for that.

Xillen

Ack, I came to love the SMF engine ages ago, especially the way it kept remembering the "new" button on older threads.

Can't say I have tried PhPBB3 yet, though, so that would be wait and see.

Having CMS integration for the entire site would be neat, though, despite me probably not making use of it.

Elvi

*Tries babal for translation and fails*

*Reads again and scratches head*

I really wish I could understand all of this so that I could offer suggestions Vek.
However, my reply would still be the same...
Your site, your knowledge of how things work, do that which you feel best.
*hugs*
I know you have our best interests at heart and you'll put us in the right place....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Mia

Fully agree with Elvi... at the moment I'm feeling very blond. :)
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

Aelfric

I must heartily concur with the lovely ladies. While much of what your said is a foreign tongue to me, I trust your skill and expertise Vek. I'm certain that whatever changes are made they will be for the betterment of the site.
You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold. - Tunnels, Arcade Fire

Hunter

It makes sense to me.  *cough*ComputerNerd*cough*

I agree with the move to PHPBB3, for the reasons you've stated.   :)

Bliss

As one of the admins on a community site that's been running on PHPBB2 for a few years now and is gearing up for the move to PHPBB3 right now, I definitely think it'll prove to be a good CMS for this community and what we all do here.

Anything that makes YOUR job easier? I am totally in favor of.

Are there any plans for skinning the site once it's on the new CMS, or just going to go with the standard color schema?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Mia

oh! oh! does that mean we can have a kinky skin? ;D
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

Cherri Tart

i'm just glad to know i'm not the only one who read that and wondered if it was in some sort of strange alien code :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

strangely made

Quote from: Vekseid on April 21, 2008, 11:55:25 PM
Okay, so, the SMF team just nixed the smf-drupal integration module, like, last Friday. It was taken down and no recourse was given. The Simple Machines team does not want to waste time making a compliant bridge for any gpled cms, not even Joomla (which also recently moved from SMF to phpBB), and is hostile to the idea of 'unifying' two sites, as they believe it will dilute their license.

* Drupal and Joomla are Content Management Systems (CMSes). SMF - Simple Machines Forum, is the CMS that 'runs' this forum. Wordpress, Livejournal and Blogspot also run their own CMSes, which run those sites (and in the case of Wordpress, many, many others). A wiki is another type of CMS - Wikipedia and Elluiki run off of Mediawiki. 

I want to move to a CMS for the entire site, so that members can set up their own blogs, and so that the front page is more powerful and less fugly. Since Wordpress is mostly a single-user blog system, the options were Joomla and Drupal and after trying and failing to do what should have been stupid-simple in Joomla... going with Drupal.

So, I obviously want to integrate it with the forum, but I can't. Straw + Camel = broken back.

So, I want to move the forums to PHPBB3. The security record is -significantly- better than phpbb2, and has a lot of features that SMF and even SMF 2 will lack. The most important ones either have a module available, are simple to rewrite, or are things I want to completely redesign anyway.

The move is probably going to happen some time after I move the front page to Drupal (Which will be painless), but moving to PHPBB3 will take nearly as long as upgrading to SMF 2 will (ie, several hours). It won't happen until I've tested the process and made things work appropriately on my own machine (including a new triple-column layout) - so don't worry about things getting broken for good.

I'm posting this here as a forewarning and to gather vitriol and opinions. : )

Yes?