RWBY Unofficial Tabletop RPG

Started by Florence, February 09, 2016, 08:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

http://www.mediafire.com/view/n004hzhh3nc0vdn/RWBY_Book-October.pdf
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rwbytabletop/comments/3vij7z/the_unofficial_rwby_tabletop_december_patch_and/
https://www.reddit.com/r/RWBYTabletop

So I just found out that this is a thing that exists and now I sincerely need it in my life.

I dunno if anyone here is at all familiar with it and might be able to GM, or perhaps someone with more general GMing experience may be willing to take a look at it.

Again, I haven't tried the system out at all, so maybe its garbage, but having skimmed over the rulebook, it at least seems fairly solid.

Though, I suppose it might make sense to wait until after the upcoming season finale before starting a game, just in case it drops and massive lore-reshaping plot twists on us.

Still, figured I'd drop something down here and see if maybe anyone would be interested in running/joining a game like this!
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

eternaldarkness

I'll definitely give it a read and see what i think. I love RWBY, and running a game in that setting would be lots of fun.

Florence

Quote from: eternaldarkness on February 10, 2016, 11:37:16 PM
I'll definitely give it a read and see what i think. I love RWBY, and running a game in that setting would be lots of fun.

I think there's also other systems on the subreddit I linked to, but this one looked the most promising to me since its built from the ground up with RWBY in mind, whereas the others all seemed to be adaptations of existing systems.

At any rate, glad to have caught some interest! :D Lemme know if you're interested!
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Florence

Okay. I just watched the finale.

I /NEED/ SOME RWBY RP! xD

ThisOneGal

I would be interested in joining a RWBY game. ^^

Unfortunately, I'm not up for running one.

Florence

Quote from: ThisOneGal on February 16, 2016, 04:55:42 PM
I would be interested in joining a RWBY game. ^^

Unfortunately, I'm not up for running one.

Well its something at least! :D

Glad to see this get some interest, at any rate.

Revelation

I'd be more than willing to give this a shot as a player as well - seems like it could be fun.

Sain

Yup. The story is getting good and it's so easy to come up with charas for this one :d

There is also a pretty nifty FATE module Jace911 made for RWBY link!
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Florence

Quote from: Sain on February 18, 2016, 02:38:41 PM
Yup. The story is getting good and it's so easy to come up with charas for this one :d

There is also a pretty nifty FATE module Jace911 made for RWBY link!

Oooh, that looks interesting too.

I need some RWBY rp to tide me over until Volume 4!

So many important questions need to be answered!

... mostly concerning Yang and Blake and whether or not they're going to bang.

Revelation

Quote from: Florence on February 18, 2016, 06:11:23 PM
Oooh, that looks interesting too.

I need some RWBY rp to tide me over until Volume 4!

So many important questions need to be answered!

... mostly concerning Yang and Blake and whether or not they're going to bang.

As for others, some ships... Didn't make it.

Florence

Quote from: Changingsaint on February 18, 2016, 10:51:27 PM
As for others, some ships... Didn't make it.

Aye, the fleet lost some good ships in that storm...

Atkinson

It comes a little late, but this show is adorable (if kinda badly animated), and set in an exciting, interesting world!  I'd love to play in an OC RWBY game, but unfortunately that doesn't solve your original problem of finding someone to run one.

Florence

Quote from: Atkinson on February 27, 2016, 12:34:11 AM
It comes a little late, but this show is adorable (if kinda badly animated), and set in an exciting, interesting world!  I'd love to play in an OC RWBY game, but unfortunately that doesn't solve your original problem of finding someone to run one.

"if kinda badly animated"

... HERESY! At least, if you're talking about the fight scenes. The rest of it can be admittedly a little hit and miss sometimes...

But yeah, this has been getting a decent amount of interest on the player front... but the only person who mentioned possibly being interested in running it... never replied again...

FarFetched

I'm interested; will read more.

EDIT I read it, I liked the system, and if this becomes an Group RP I'll definitely put in a character. I actually have a really fun one in mind.
I can't GM, however.

Florence

Quote from: FarFetched on February 29, 2016, 03:02:58 PM
I'm interested; will read more.

EDIT I read it, I liked the system, and if this becomes an Group RP I'll definitely put in a character. I actually have a really fun one in mind.
I can't GM, however.

Now we just need to get a GM up in hurr!

FarFetched

Since we now constitute a group, It might be a good idea to put an ad on the seeking-players forum, with a tag like [Looking for GM!] at the end or somesuch. Or just change this one with a similar tag- idk.

Leodran

Love the show, and I'm provisionally interesting in DMing depending on what the schedule would be like.  I'm already doing a D&D 5th Ed campaign and playing in a few others, on top of work, but RWBY is just so awesome and I've wanted to DM one.

What kind of plot and timeline were you considering?  Would you want it free and open on forums, or meet on something like roll20 at certain times as a group?

Revelation

Quote from: Leodran on March 03, 2016, 06:04:26 PM
Love the show, and I'm provisionally interesting in DMing depending on what the schedule would be like.  I'm already doing a D&D 5th Ed campaign and playing in a few others, on top of work, but RWBY is just so awesome and I've wanted to DM one.

What kind of plot and timeline were you considering?  Would you want it free and open on forums, or meet on something like roll20 at certain times as a group?

Well! First, if you're considering running a game for the people here, awesome!

As far as I personally am concerned - i'd probably want to veer somewhat away from canon, or at least putting our game somewhere where the PC's can be doing their own things, i'd prefer the story to be about the characters in the game so to speak. I imagine most people here (including me) might prefer forums, but I am not totally against roll20 depending on the day. There's a preference for forums though,

Leodran

I've considered a RWBY game before, and my general thought is the best way to give the original characters breathing room is to set the game sometime before the events of the series, but well after team STRQ graduated and moved on.  Of course I'd like to hear Florence's thoughts on the matter.

ThisOneGal

Spoony's Bablyon 5 approach is good:

Tl;DW: alternate reality. Where a canon character would be, a PC is instead. So instead of Team RWBY showing up at Beacon, it's Team PCs. And NPCs don't necessarily act they way they do in canon, and events won't necessarily transpire the way they do in canon.

Florence

Quote from: Leodran on March 03, 2016, 06:45:36 PM
I've considered a RWBY game before, and my general thought is the best way to give the original characters breathing room is to set the game sometime before the events of the series, but well after team STRK graduated and moved on.  Of course I'd like to hear Florence's thoughts on the matter.

First off, I'm really happy to see someone having interest in running this game!

To address the question at hand, I think what works best for me is to focus on an original story. I think an alternate timeline would be a good idea, that way we don't have to worry about contradicting canon or anything. It gives everyone involves more freedom too. I'm not opposed to setting the game before RWBY, though, if you think you can make that work better.

As for the when and where and how, I personally am fine with either, though its been a while since I've used Roll20. I'm okay going in whichever direction you and the rest of the group feels like going in. The forum would likely be easier, and more people here would likely be comfortable with it, though Roll20 would probably help keep things moving, provided we get an active group who are willing and able to show up on time.

Edit: Off-topic, but HNNNNG, this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2rOFKCQXc

In case anyone is reading this for some reason who HASN'T caught up yet...
God, Salem already seems like she'll be a great villain...

FarFetched

Unfortunately, Roll20 won't work for me; I only RP with people from E within E.

Florence

Quote from: FarFetched on March 04, 2016, 01:13:43 AM
Unfortunately, Roll20 won't work for me; I only RP with people from E within E.

Yeah, I'd guess that would be the preferred choice for most people on here

Revelation

Yeah, I think it would be easier to run the RP over elliquiy.

Florence

Oh, also, in case anyone (especially our potential GM) didn't see, there's a February update to the rulebook I linked to in the first post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rwbytabletop/comments/45ogyl/the_unofficial_rwby_tabletop_february_update/