Mage: the Awakening

Started by Zeth, January 25, 2015, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeth

Hello! I am hoping to start a Mage: The Awakening game here on Elliquiy. laa has joined as a Mage and I would like a few more players before starting. I picture this game to feature exploration into the mysteries of magic and character driven. I will be using the nWoD core book and the Mage: the Awakened core book. If you are interested or have any questions, please feel free to post them here or PM me.

BraveEarth

I'd be interested, probably would want to be one of those new age Free Council Hippies. :P

laa

Hello thar Brave! I'm planning on playing the not-so-hippie Silver Ladder peeps, aye! =)

Angie

Dr. Angelo may be reporting in for this one. Any ideas where this is gonna take place in the world? Regardless, Angelo's a Mysterium Mastigo, and a licensed Doctor. So he'll have Medicine up the strap and a good chunk of Life in addition to the Mind and Space stuff. Oh, and a katana. Because Katanas are awesome.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

laa

That would make us two Mastigo, aye! We're from quite different professions though, to say the least. Mine is a 'Financial services sales agent', or something like that. I totally googled it just now. I haven't figured out what weapon he would be using, but a gun wouldn't be unlikely.

And I have no idea where this takes place just yet. But hello there! I think this makes us four people + GM.

Muse

oooh!  Oooh!  May I play? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zeth

Alright, so what section we want to put this in? laa suggested exotic bondage. Everyone fine with that or have a different preference?

Lockepick

Always posting interest for Mage, if there is still room.

As for concept, I've got a couple I'm tossing about, depending on the campaign itself.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zeth

Well this is my first time running Mage. I ran other nWoD games such as Hunter and Promethean. If you got any campaign ideas, I'm open to hear them.

Muse

Bondage exotic is fine, though Im sure you know where i'd put it if all else was equal. ;) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

laa

I can recommend one thing to ya, Zeth: Make up your own rules, your own creatures, and go off-road from the book as you please. Might already know this lil' thing, but in general, the books are meant as a form of guideline rather than a strict codex. =P

As for exact location, I'm up for just about anything, though my background only makes sense in nations/places with an intact banking system. =P

Angie

Dr. Angelo works best in Seattle, if only because it's the city I know the most about, but he can go anywhere and do just about anything. Mages always want a pair o' healing hands around. That reminds me, I'm going to need to rebuild him...again.

Zeth

Counting Stormwyrm that makes 6 players. I better make the game thread, we are fully packed. I need character sheets from everyone pmed to me. laa already sent his in.

Angie

Quote from: Zeth on January 26, 2015, 06:58:50 PM
Counting Stormwyrm that makes 6 players. I better make the game thread, we are fully packed. I need character sheets from everyone pmed to me. laa already sent his in.

Be done in a minute, need to look up a couple things.

laa

Headsup to the rest of you guys, my char is very social.

Also, anyone understood that section on how to do improv-spells?

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 26, 2015, 07:09:43 PM
Headsup to the rest of you guys, my char is very social.

Also, anyone understood that section on how to do improv-spells?

Need an explanation? I'll be happy to tell you how to do it if you need to.

laa

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 26, 2015, 07:29:43 PM
Yea, that'd be awe. =P

Zeth has also asked me to teach everyone about the wonderful site www.myth-weavers.com Go there, create an account if you haven't already, then go to Sheets. Click "Create New", name it whatever your character name is, and under Type, select "New World of Darkness". From there, you'll find that it's quite easy to fill it in. Much simpler then writing it all out in PM, trust me. Here, for example, is Angelo:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1108111

Now, Improvised Spells: They're really quite simple. If it's one of your two ruling Arcana (let's use Angelo as an example, so for him, Mind and Space), it's a freebie. If it isn't, you must pay 1 point of Mana. This is ON TOP of any other Mana costs, so for example, if Angelo wanted to cast an improvised Healing Heart spell (a spell with a 1 mana cost), that would require him to spend 2 points of Mana-something he can't do til Gnosis 2.

Once you've paid the Mana, you roll (Arcana)+Gnosis. Let's say Angelo wanted to improv cast "Opening the Lidless Eye" (Mind 2, so free for him). He would roll his Mind of 2 plus his Gnosis of 1, for 3 dice. If you make the roll, hooray, the spell goes off. If not, well, it doesn't happen. Paradox rules apply the same to improv spells.

And really, that's all there is too it. Improvised spells follow all the same rules as Rote spells. Granted, improv spells don't need any kind of motions or chanting (like Rotes do), but for the most part, Rote spells have a lot of advantages over Improvised versions. 

Any questions?

laa

So unless there is a die-benifit, taking rotes in your own ruling Arcana is pointless?

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 26, 2015, 07:42:08 PM
So unless there is a die-benifit, taking rotes in your own ruling Arcana is pointless?

To an extent, yes. Angelo has a lot of them, mostly Perception based ones (Aura Perception, Third Eye, and Spatial Map) because he wants to ensure he casts those, especially in a critical moment. Take Rotes if you think/know you're going to cast those a lot, and I HIGHLY recommend taking at least 1 Mage Sight rote.

laa

I've got Third Eye, Multi-tasking and Postcognition, yeap!

I'll keep Multi-tasking, even though without academics I barely get any benifit at all. (-3 for unskilled)
Plan is to increase academics later, yeap.

Zeth

Alright then, your characters are all a part of one cabal. Appearently these have thems. So think up your Cabals theme like alchemy or baseball, or what ever.

You are NOT allowed the Destiny advantage. Becoming a Mage that can alter reality through will power makes you special enough.

Angie

Angelo gives not one fuck about the theme. Whatever you guys wanna play with, go ahead.

Lockepick

I'm a little confused at the order of operations here -- it seems like people are already submitting character sheets, but I don't even know that we have a theme for the campaign or the cabal.

If we're a cabal, we might want to be more... open to talking to each other what we're playing.

So are we saying that it's base character creation, but no Destiny Merit?

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zeth

Because Destiny just bugs me. You are already one of the chosen few in the world that can weil High Magic. That alone should be a destiny.

Laa gave me his character before I posted the ad and and Angie sent me her character from work. So I said gimme your sheets then read the 'cabals have themes' page just now. So I went out of order a bit.

The campaign takes place in a large metropolis in the modern USA. I don't want to pick a specific city in case one of you actually lived in that city and would gain n advantage.

I thought if we all got on mythweavers the party can look at each other's sheets and discuss.

Angie

Just a heads up, Zeth, I may not be able to get my backstory to you for a while. I've got a lot of school work to do, but I should have it to you by tomorrow.

Zeth

Scratch that ban on destiny. They changed it from old world of darkness, now that I reread it. The Destiny in the book just gives you bonus die and a fatal flaw. oWoD, you had to ork out an elaborate thing with the Story Teller.

The campaign takes place in Boston, MA in USA, as that is the default setting for Mage.

laa

If we're in the same cabal, we should share a sanctum.

As a theme, perhaps we could take 'A body of organs'? My character would fit the mouth(+lungs?), Angie would be the immune-system, aye?

Muse

Not a bad idea. 

Heh...  If we were all doing girls...   

*hides his majo shojo manga* 

But that's just the wise crack of a sleep deprived mind.  I'm normally a big fan of the Adamantine Arrow.  The mysterium is also interesting too me. 

What do we have so far in the way of concept, gender/sexuality, order, and path? 

laa

Paths: Two mastigos, rest is undetermined.
Orders: Silver Ladder and Mysterium.

So if you take Adamantine Arrow, we'd have 3 different orders in the group. =P

My char's gender is male/heterosexual, aye, dunno about others' characters.

Oh, and his concept is 'eccentric smooth-talker', so yeap.

eternaldarkness

Please, oh please tell me this one still has room? Mage is my favorite game ever, and I would love to play a Moros of the Silver Ladder. Concept-wise, he's a new-age necromancer heavily into studying the relationship between death, life and matter and how the three elements can be combined to form stronger, more versatile wholes. Particularly he likes using shadow magic to enhance other kinds of spells and lend them pseudo-sentience.

Zeth

I want to say no, but stormwyrm hasn't checked in. So I'll ask him and if he isn't interested you may have hi spot.

BraveEarth

Thinking weird Thryrus Path I'm still deciding Rotes and Arcana, (I am remembering how disappointing the Spirit Arcana is.)

Angie

Quote from: BraveEarth on January 27, 2015, 11:04:01 AM
Thinking weird Thryrus Path I'm still deciding Rotes and Arcana, (I am remembering how disappointing the Spirit Arcana is.)

You can do what I did to Space and make that your 'dump' Arcana (the one you put the 1 point selection into).

Anyway, Angelo is indeed a Mastigo of the Mysterium. He's bisexual, which will help him out tremendously when he learns how to fully shapeshift (which is the next point of Life, but I think he should [or has to] raise his Gnosis first).

laa

Quote from: laa on January 27, 2015, 05:42:55 AM
If we're in the same cabal, we should share a sanctum.

As a theme, perhaps we could take 'A body of organs'? My character would fit the mouth(+lungs?), Angie would be the immune-system, aye?

I'll just post this again to see what people think of this.

Lockepick

I usually think of a Cabal's theme to be more along the lines of a philosophy or an intent. I mean, even something simple like "Police Squad Sanctioned by the Council" would work, or we could be a 'Secret Anti-Seer cell', or 'looking for immortality' or something.

Zeth

Well the npc Boston Cabals are The Ebony Noose, The Dead Wrens, The Shadow Chorus, and so on. You are going to need a catchy name if you are going with boyparts. Locke has a point to, what are you guys doing? What is your groups goal?

Angie

Angelo's mostly out for himself. He wants to become more powerful in the ways of Magic, and as long as the cabal's goals aren't intentionally villainous, he'll be on board because it gives him a chance to improve himself. I know his concept is "Master Healer", part of that is his philosophy of "I must do perfectly" (which is dangerous, but that's the point).

That said, if the cabal's goals have anything to do with finding long lost magical knowledge, he'll be even more on board.

laa

When I thought of the body-part idea, I had just read the 'symbolic themes' deal in the book. I had misunderstood it as the themes needing to be symbolic. =P

Anyway, my char is likely to be unambitious at first, but is definitely in the group for himself. Unlike Angelo, he desires wealth, power and stability - no matter what shape that may take. His dream would be to become a leader of sorts, and own enough wealth to purchase his own island or mansion. Ironically so, one could say magic might've made this life-goal of his harder than it should've been (or so he thinks), so he doesn't like his magic too much, but he'll make lemonade when given lemons.

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 27, 2015, 03:00:14 PM
When I thought of the body-part idea, I had just read the 'symbolic themes' deal in the book. I had misunderstood it as the themes needing to be symbolic. =P

Anyway, my char is likely to be unambitious at first, but is definitely in the group for himself. Unlike Angelo, he desires wealth, power and stability - no matter what shape that may take. His dream would be to become a leader of sorts, and own enough wealth to purchase his own island or mansion. Ironically so, one could say magic might've made this life-goal of his harder than it should've been (or so he thinks), so he doesn't like his magic too much, but he'll make lemonade when given lemons.

Actually, him and Angelo might get along. Angelo is very much a fan of 'mundane solutions first'. He sounds like someone who might agree with that idea.

laa

Well, James also holds questionable morals, so there's always that... >: D

But maybe, yeap, the two characters definitely has some things in common.

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 27, 2015, 03:10:42 PM
Well, James is also holds questionable morals, so there's always that... >: D

But maybe, yeap, the two characters definitely has some things in common.

I'm fairly certain the fan made splat Princess isn't within 100 miles of this game, so Angelo's just as questionable.

Zeth

So "The Dirty Rotten Spying Bastards" is your cabal then? No? Well that name was too long anyways.

laa

We'll need more peeps to opt in before we can decide on a name, I think. =P

So far, I only know of James(My char) and Angelo.

And, Angie: Then our characters might do just fine together!

Angie

Maybe we should wait to name until we've all discussed our characters and personal goals. For now only me and laa have really discussed what we're doing.

Otherwise Angelo will vote for BadAss MotherFuckers. BAMF for short.

Zeth

We have 6 people opted in. The problem is everyone is waiting on everyone else to make a character and decide on a group. I could swoop in and give you all a cabal name, a goal to hoot for, and other things like a D&D DM. But this is WoD, you guys are supposed to tell me what  you want to do.

Angie

Well, Angelo and James are both out for personal power. That might be like, a goal they pursue separate from the others, but if the other Mages also intend to pursue personal power, it might be that we banded together for support. Kinda like how young vampires band together to keep elders from outright obliterating them. Only in our case, we're together for moral support.

laa

I agree with Angelo. And, to hold tradition in check, we could've totally met up and made our cabal at a mage-bar of sorts. One becomes friends with who you meet, not who you want to meet, aye?

As we have two people in the group striving for power already, mine being talkative an persuasive, the intent of the group could easily become to master their new existence and gain influence in mage society, or something similar to that.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Zeth on January 27, 2015, 03:22:25 PM
We have 6 people opted in. The problem is everyone is waiting on everyone else to make a character and decide on a group. I could swoop in and give you all a cabal name, a goal to hoot for, and other things like a D&D DM. But this is WoD, you guys are supposed to tell me what  you want to do.

Let me in and I'll have a character done and things rolling very very quickly :D I'm not the type to waffle and wait on others, and would prefer to lead the way and get it done, and it seems like this group might need a motivator.

laa

Quotethis group might need a motivator.

Eyyyj, I'm trying! T_T

eternaldarkness

Quote from: laa on January 27, 2015, 04:15:12 PM
Eyyyj, I'm trying! T_T

'No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.'  :D
-Yoda

Zeth

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 27, 2015, 04:07:30 PM
Let me in and I'll have a character done and things rolling very very quickly :D I'm not the type to waffle and wait on others, and would prefer to lead the way and get it done, and it seems like this group might need a motivator.

stormwyrm said you may have his slot. So you are in.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Zeth on January 27, 2015, 04:34:06 PM
stormwyrm said you may have his slot. So you are in.

Awesome, i'll get a character and background done ASAP, pursuant with your guidelines.

Lockepick

@Zeth: I'm not sure your idea that WoD is where players tell YOU about the campaign is entirely correct. Even if this was a totally 'sandbox' game -- you still need to construct the sandbox for us. WoD is by no means free form, or a cooperative storytelling game. If you're looking for us to tell you what type of game we'd like to play in -- that's understandable, but I think the discussion might go smoother and faster if you gave us some options.

Perhaps this is uncommon -- but I usually design the cabal before designing my role in it. For example, if our Cabal is all about "Snatching up as much personal power as possible" -- I'm not going to play a gentle meek librarian scared of her own magic. Nor do I think six people coming in with an idea and character sheet are going to just HAPPEN to find something that binds them all -- at least not anything substantial.

That being said, do we want to be the "High Risk, High Reward Investigation Team"? The Mages who take the stupid risks and poke their noses where they don't belong, but just so they can be the first one to get their grubby mitts on whatever arcane secrets are out there? It's a pretty generic idea, but should work for anybody.

Angie

That would actually probably work out. Angelo does have a slight overconfidence in his own healing abilities both mundane and magical.

laa

I doubt James would like that at all. He's slowly crawled his way up for a long time now, and he probably doesn't want to risk it all, even if the rewards are great. But, perhaps someone else in the group convinced him of it in some way?... Although convincing James of anything if he means differently isn't easy.

Lockepick

I appreciate the response, but offering a counter proposal would be more productive.

To continue offering up somewhat generic ideas though: We could be a group of mages on probation, either from a single crime or individual crimes; We could simple have a similar 'flavor' of magic (ie: we're all Taoists or Wiccans or Vodou Mambos); We could all be from the same Order.

Zeth

Right so I'm pestering locke on YIM! and he says the story teller is supposed to give you an overall plot.

So your Cabal is seeking the Sixth and lost Watchtower. Even among Mages some scoff at the 6th Tower, chalking it up as a myth. While others have their own theories on what happened to it. This thing is like the Holy Graal of Mages. Even finding a pieces or clues of it could lead to great reward and peril. I'm thinking your Cabal is "The Seekers" unless you want to go with BAMF like Angelo suggested. That was awesome.

Angie

"The Seekers" sounds a LITTLE too close to "Seers" for my tastes, personally. I'd like to stay away from anything that sounds like the Atlantean Orders primary enemies. Some ideas too: "Walkers of the Watchtowers", "The Lost Ones", anything that references we're looking for the lost Watchtower.

laa

Ooooh, I've read about that tower shortly on the wiki. That's a good overall plot. =P

Aaand I've gotten an idea.

I'm imagining some sort of meeting place for mages of all sorts. In the back of the room, a loud character can be heard talking, laughing, and flattering several mages to the best of his delight. Alas, he leaves the place with a uncertain smile. He didn't get what he want. What he wants is a group. What he lacks to get said group was motivation. That was when he met Angelo. During their conversation, Angelo mentioned something about a 6th tower - a mystery no one had been able to solve. This was the motivation he had been looking for! Slyly, he asked if Angelo wanted to go find it. "Even if it turns out to be false, what better way to make an entrance into the world of mages?"

With that hook, he somehow managed to scavange a small group. (Either over the course of days, weeks, or the like. Perhaps via help from others in the group)

And although James spoke loudly of this investigation, he just needed something to bait people. While he thought it to be cool, he himself thought the entire idea to be ridiculous - although he never said so to anyone, even if some might've gotten the same idea.

What'do'ya say?

Zeth

Consilium backing or independent? Consilium backing means the mages of Boston commissioned the group to find the 6th tower. While Independent means they're doing it on their own. Backing comes with the perks of some resources to represent the Consilium's investment, but you have a boss to worry about and may get pulled into local politics. Independent means no free resources, but no boss to report to or strings attached.

Angie

Considering how pissed off Faelean (Angelo's ex-Master) is, she may block him and anyone associated with him from getting Consilium support. Or, to be even more of a dick, she was the reason they have backing, but because of that, they get all the shit assignments that no one wants. This goes double if no one plays Free Council.

laa

My char would be against it. He wouldn't want to try to commit himself on something he barely believes in.

Zeth

Brave Earth, Muse, Lockepick, and eternaldarkness, what do you guys think?

Lockepick

I'm willing to roll either way in regards to whether or not we're officially hired by the Consilium or not.

I will say that if we're independently working on this task -- I will need some more confidence that the two already established characters are going to... play will with others. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but the vibes I'm getting so far is that they'll cut my rope loose if it means they can climb the mountain first. Now if we're hired to work together, it's something my character is somewhat forced to deal with. If we're agreeing to work together, my character has less reason to work along side people that would throw him under a bus.

So with that in mind, I'd say that working for the Consilium forces less... cohesion in the group, which means it requires less cooperation in character creation.

laa

OOC, my main problem with working for the Consilium is, that it's a strange task for new mages to be asked to accomplish. Even if it was a way to dishonor the mages (AKA: Angelo's hater's revenge), it wouldn't be very dishonorable to not do what no one in history has ever done before or even thought possible.

Perhaps we could work for the Consilium in other fields instead of our overarching plot?

Angie

Lockepick: Angelo isn't going to screw anyone over. That goes against his morals. He's a dick, but as long as your goal doesn't cause direct harm to anyone else, he'd be more willing to help you out.

Lockepick

It's not an uncommon strategy of old academic institutions to put people on seemingly impossible quests to basically distract them. This could simply be a matter of us being assigned to something even the Consilium didn't believe would really pan out -- and then it does.

Or we can be independent -- I just think that requires us to actually like and trust each other. I wasn't getting 'likable' or 'trustworthy' from my first reading of the two characters, is all -- I also accepted I might be jumping to conclusions there. The notion of 'I'm out for personal power' usually means... well... personal power. Not group power.

I'm leaning towards an Acanthus right now, not sure on Order yet.

Angie

Yeah, Angelo is a bit more of a jerk when he doesn't have a group of people whose magic is fueled by positive emotions to balance him out. That being said, even though he wants personal power, he also wants everyone around him to be more powerful as well-the way he figures it, the more Mages and the more powerful Mages out there, the more Sleepers Awaken, and the weaker the Abyss gets. He could be wrong, but that's his goal.

BraveEarth

Okay Snow shoveling is complete. ;D

I have most of the fluffy details for my character, save for a name >.> might have a shadowname though Thinking Jessica. She's a student at Emerson who awakened fairly recently and her awakening was more shifting than enforcing to her character. Before she was kind of on the crossroads of life not really sure of what she wanted to do but was going somewhere. She had friends, dated, wrote poetry, very typical person so when she awoke she get more closed off just trying to balance things and having her entire perspective altered.

She's manipulative but tries her best to do it subtly, she finds direct manipulation a crude method, and often gets a bit AP prone when watching for the best of times for situations. Not to say she doesn't believe in force when necessary but it's very rare for her to start a fight. Also I'm thinking about having her a bit afraid of her power by making her a rather potent Awakening, ie spending 6 Merit to go up to Gnosis 3

As far as looking for the Lost Watchtower it's a bit of an esoteric goal that doesn't really work for her. She's more trying to get a handle of things so it could be that she gets swept into it but she wouldn't have any personal investment in the task.

laa

Good point about the distraction, aye.

My character is actually quite trustworthy. Or at least he seems like it. He's got a good share of dots in social skills, yeap. You could say he's the opposite of Angelo - Friendly exterior, selfish interior. Even then, he isn't the arbiter of evil. He often will stray away from obvious evil, such as physical or emotional harm, and tend towards the more lawful style evil. Think banker with self-interest in mind, cus' that's what he is.

Tearing down alliances is hence not his style of actions. He tends to be quite loyal towards those he counts as his allies and friends actually, think "banker's inner circle".

@BraveEarth:
Your character doesn't sound like one that'd be up for a lot of tasks at any rate. xP

Perhaps my character has persuaded you that using your powers will get you used to them faster, and that perhaps knowing about the sixth tower will bring you greater understanding of what has happened to you?

BraveEarth

Being cautious about them and not wanting to use them at all are a bit different. Let's just say she has been given a healthy fear of Paradox

laa

Anyway, the gist is that my character can help persuade yours to get a purpose if you want him to, aye.

Zeth

Quote from: BraveEarth on January 27, 2015, 07:25:04 PM
Okay Snow shoveling is complete. ;D

I have most of the fluffy details for my character, save for a name >.> might have a shadowname though Thinking Jessica. She's a student at Emerson who awakened fairly recently and her awakening was more shifting than enforcing to her character. Before she was kind of on the crossroads of life not really sure of what she wanted to do but was going somewhere. She had friends, dated, wrote poetry, very typical person so when she awoke she get more closed off just trying to balance things and having her entire perspective altered.

She's manipulative but tries her best to do it subtly, she finds direct manipulation a crude method, and often gets a bit AP prone when watching for the best of times for situations. Not to say she doesn't believe in force when necessary but it's very rare for her to start a fight. Also I'm thinking about having her a bit afraid of her power by making her a rather potent Awakening, ie spending 6 Merit to go up to Gnosis 3

As far as looking for the Lost Watchtower it's a bit of an esoteric goal that doesn't really work for her. She's more trying to get a handle of things so it could be that she gets swept into it but she wouldn't have any personal investment in the task.

Considering she spent all her merit points on Gnosis and has no money or a place to live, Jessica will need friends to mooch off of. Angelo has a sexy sanctum and James has business contacts that could get her a loan. Just saying.

BraveEarth

I was thinking that she would use her remaining Merit to point the boys in the direction of a Hallow where their Sanctum could be set up. IE helping take the share of Hallow darts for the Cabal

Angie

Angelo having put up the cash for us getting the Sanctum might explain why he's got no Resource points. That and student loans...

laa

A cabal shares sanctum dots, up to a max of 10.

Also, I could sacrifice my 'Eidetic Memory' to take some dots as well. I took the thing to be fair at first, cus' I thought: "Hey, since I can always read what happens, I should take Eidetic Memory to make up for it"

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 28, 2015, 01:17:42 PM
A cabal shares sanctum dots, up to a max of 10.

Also, I could sacrifice my 'Eidetic Memory' to take some dots as well. I took the thing to be fair at first, cus' I thought: "Hey, since I can always read what happens, I should take Eidetic Memory to make up for it"

CAN. Can share Sanctum dots. I just figured in terms of thematic sense, Angelo might be the one whose name is on all the paperwork.

Zeth

Well since you are in an order, You get high Speech for free right? Does being in an order require Status (order) at 1 dot?

Angie

Quote from: Zeth on January 28, 2015, 01:26:20 PM
Well since you are in an order, You get high Speech for free right? Does being in an order require Status (order) at 1 dot?

Not that I know of. Having no dots in Status (order) is more or less being the new guy at the office. You still get High Speech for free, which means there is absolutely no positive for going Order-less except not getting pulled into politics (and be honest, this is WoD, politics tend to make for exciting adventure).

laa

So, at the moment, how far off are we from getting started? =3

Zeth

I think James has a free Merit dot then. I'll double check, but he put High Speech on his sheet.

Now then Which one of you took Obrimos? I would like to have a mage from each path. SPOILER: you will find a LOT of mana in tass rock form. So prime will be useful.

laa

Nah, I think I counted it as a zero-costing thingy.

Although, as said, I can sacrifice Eidetic Memory for some sanctuary goodness and such. =P

eternaldarkness

Almost done with my character, background and all. My character is a relatively young mage named Evan Asher from an old money Boston family. He's confident, headstrong, and wealthy - hence the Sanctum and Resources dots, and Contacts. If everyone else adds sanctum dots to a shared sanctum he will too, otherwise he'll have a personal sanctum.

Zeth

Quote from: laa on January 28, 2015, 01:40:48 PM
So, at the moment, how far off are we from getting started? =3

Witing on sheets from BraveEarth, eternaldarkness, Muse, and lockepick.

So far off.

laa

Oh dagnabit. xC

Well, Zeth, down my Eidetic Memory and swap it for two Sanctum points, aye. In the meantime, I'll impatiently wait around. =P

Zeth

From page 88 of the book.

QuoteA character must have at least a single dot of Order Status in order to gain the benefits of any special abilities of that society. In other words, a character must have at least one dot of Order Status in order to learn the rotes of her order. (A character’s beginning six dots worth of rotes are an exception. They were presumably taught by the order to win the mage’s loyalty).

As is Angelo an James are NOT in an order. However they can spend 2 experience to gain the first dot in Status to join the order they want to be in. So no biggie.

So laa is your sanctum a shared sanctum? How many points are in Size and How many in Security?

Angie

Hang on, laa, did we ever decide to share a Sanctum? I don't mind if we do, I just want to be asked first.

And if we do, Angelo will drop a point of Sanctum Size to get Order Status 1 just so I can get the High Speech stuff. Because while it may only be 2 XP, that's 2 XP that could go to more important things like Gnosis.

Zeth

Sone one posted they wanted to buy hallow. So if laa buys Sanctum shared you got a place to put the Hallow. Hallow more or less is where free mana collects

Angie

I should probably mention I've read the main eight books for WoD religiously (Core, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Promethean, Changeling, Geist, and Hunter). I miss a few details, but I know pretty much everything there is to know...

Anyway yeah, let's share the Sanctum. With laa's two dots and mine, we'll have 4 dots to split between size and security. I say 2 to Size, 2 to security, what do you say?

Muse

:) I'd like to get in on the sactum if you don'tmind? 

maybe we can even swing a node.  What are they called?  Cray? 

Angie

Quote from: Muse on January 28, 2015, 06:36:12 PM
:) I'd like to get in on the sactum if you don'tmind? 

maybe we can even swing a node.  What are they called?  Cray?

The more dots the merrier. How many dots you plan on throwing out?

Zeth

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 28, 2015, 04:07:13 PM
Almost done with my character, background and all. My character is a relatively young mage named Evan Asher from an old money Boston family. He's confident, headstrong, and wealthy - hence the Sanctum and Resources dots, and Contacts. If everyone else adds sanctum dots to a shared sanctum he will too, otherwise he'll have a personal sanctum.

So how many dots you adding to the Shared Sanctum pool?

laa

Well, if we get a tonne of sanctum dots from others, I'll go add a point to status(order), otherwise, I'll leave it as is.

Muse

Hm... 

Striking Looks: 2
Resources 2? 
Sanctum contributino 2

Something like that.

Angie

If we keep the even split thing, then that means we'll have essentially a warehouse sized Sanctum (example given by the book), and anyone attempting to intrude takes a -3 penalty to get in, and if they're dumb enough to attack us in our own home, we get a +3 bonus on Init.

laa

That's... One badass sanctum!

Angie

Quote from: laa on January 28, 2015, 06:59:35 PM
That's... One badass sanctum!

One of the advantages of pooling it all together.

Muse

Name:      Linnea Fransen
Shadow Name:   Ronia

Cabal:      
Chronicle:      
Concept:      Every gamer’s wet dream. 
Path:         Acanthus
Order:      Adamantine Arrow
Virtue:      Hope
Vice:         Envy

Height:      5’5”
Weight:      125lbs
Skin:         Fair, freckling in the sun. 
Hair:         Fiery red.  (Yes, it’s natural.) 
Eyes:      Green

History:   Some little girls want to be princesses.  Some want to be doctors or lawyers or painters or poets. 
   I wanted to be Red Sonja. 
   I loved fantasy novels and movies, video games and animation.  I loved stories about women who were strong and beautiful, who made a difference in their world with their strength, spells or just wits.  As I grew older, I also caught a lot of the subtle--and not so subtle--innuendos racing through my favorite books.  That was fun too. 
   So by the time my third grade teacher convinced me that Shieldmaiden of Rohan was not a good career choice in the modern world, I already knew my backup plan. 
   I was going to write these stories myself. 
   Now my mother, she wanted a princess.  She’d been perfectly happy as a rich man’s trophy wife.  Even though father died when I was little, he left her enough money to live comfortably forever after (and to give me a comfortable ride through college.) 
   She wanted the same for me.  I wanted to take martial arts, she signed me up for gymnastics. 
   I wanted to join the SCA, she entered me in beauty pageants. 
   I swear when I went to college she really expected me to be working on my MRS degree.  (Bachelors of the Arts in creative writing with a minor in the Humanities and another in history, and still Miss, thank you very much.) 
   I finally did join the SCA while i was living in the dorms.  I loved the arts and crafts--especially the dresses--but more importantly I finally got to learn how swords were really used.  I was lucky to study with people who really knew what they were doing, and luckier still to find some guys who wouldn’t go easy on me, who would let a girl a head shorter than they, and half their weight, hone her skills against their superior strength. 
   I’ve yet to publish a novel.  (No, those three on Amazon don’t count.  When they kept getting turned down I was too proud of them not to self publish.)  I’ve sold a few, but I don’t think it’s because they really love the stories… 
   You see, I’m not very body shy, and I’m actually kind of proud of my looks.  I work out regularly--not just with the sword--and when I was in beauty pageants I learned to wear makeup.  (And contacts.)  So, one day I took the plunge and posed for a life drawing class… 
   One thing lead to another from there.  I wound up posing for a lot of paintings.  When some of the advanced students learned about my hobbies, they got me to pose for fantasy art.  Some of that art made it big.  Next thing I knew, I was a local favorite at the baltimore fantasy and anime conventions, posing in chainmail bikinis or as princess leia or as video game fighting girl. 
   Last year, I even got to pose for a Clyde Cadwell painting! 
   I still have some investments from my father to get me through the hard times, but this is how I make my living. 
   Now my grandmother, she understands me.  She moved in with us when my father died. She was the one who read me bedtime stories.  C.S. Lewis in English, and Astrid Lindigren in swedish.  (If you don’t know who that is, perhaps you’ve heard of Pippi Longstocking?) 
   I bring her up now because--after all this--you’re probably wondering how I wound up in the adamantine arrow. 
   It started when I was nineteen.  I’d come home from college to visit my grandmother.  I was walking into the airport after we said goodbye, she was walking across the street to get back to the cab. 
Suddenly, I knew, that if i didn’t act then, she was going to die! 
I spun back around towards her.  I saw the speeding cab.  I started to run. 
I wasn't fast enough.  I knew I wasn’t fast enough, but I had to be faster, so  I was… 
The whole world slowed down around me and I blurred across the street to carry Gran clear of the cab.  The moment I reached the other side, I hit the ground.  Everything was dark for a moment and then, well, I don’t need to tell you too much about the Watchtowers.     
   When I got back, not much time had passed.  I didn’t even miss my flight.  Back at college, I discovered that one of my swordmasters at the SCA was part of the Adamantine Arrow.  He taught me what i needed to know.  I moved here later because I was able to acquire a very nice sanctum outside of town, with quite to work on my writing.  i can drive to denver for work easily enough. 
   And then there’s you guys. 

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Zeth on January 28, 2015, 06:41:17 PM
So how many dots you adding to the Shared Sanctum pool?

At least two - one size, one security i think

BraveEarth

Put me down for a Hallow for the Sanctum.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1108914 WIP will tighten her up, suggestions always welcome.

Angie

Current Sanctum Status:

Size: 3 (example include Warehouse and large family home, 5-8 rooms)
Security: 3 (-3 to all attempts to break in, +3 to defender's Intiatives)
Hallow: 1 (1 Mana per day)

Muse

Here's Ronia:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1109705

I think she's mostly ready. 

I was going to give her the abilty to speak broken swedish and another dot of resources, but buying into the sanctum is important. 

Muse

Oh, can anyone talk me through dedicated tools? 

Angie

Quote from: Muse on January 28, 2015, 10:19:35 PM
Oh, can anyone talk me through dedicated tools?

Simple enough: You have a tool that has special symbolic significance to your Path or Order. In this, we will use Angelo's Katana as an example (why do you think he took that Enhanced Item Merit? To ensure he gets that sword!). Curved swords hold symbolic meaning to the Mastigo path, representing the weird, MC Escher nature of Pandemonium. So, if Angelo uses his Katana in some manner when casting a Vulgar Spell (which can be just flourishing it), he reduces his Paradox chance by 1 die.

Now, in order to use a tool, you must dedicate it. Very simple process-get an appropriate item, carve a rune or two on it, perform a ritual and roll Gnosis+Composure. It's an extended action, so you need to roll five successes over a period of time. You make it, hooray, it's dedicated.

Each Arcana also has dedicated tools. A couple can be done without dedication (such as Life allowing the use of freshly drawn blood and freshly plucked flowers-which Angelo WILL be making use of).

Muse

How many are you supposed to start wtih? 

Angie

Quote from: Muse on January 28, 2015, 10:40:16 PM
  How many are you supposed to start wtih?

It doesn't say, but you can only have one Path OR Order tool. You can also have one tool for each Arcanum, but those tools can only be used with the selected Arcanum.

Zeth

Quote from: BraveEarth on January 28, 2015, 08:24:27 PM
Put me down for a Hallow for the Sanctum.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1108914 WIP will tighten her up, suggestions always welcome.

You don't have status in any order, so no free high speech. Other then that she looks good.

eternaldarkness

The Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1109237

And the background: Evan Miller is the oldest child of Arthur and Cadence Miller and scion of the famous weapons manufacturing family. Groomed to take over as the owner and CEO of the company and taught the intricacies of the business from birth, Evan turned out to be better at the technical side of the firearms business than the actual business side, and he has been a certified master gunsmith since he was eighteen years old. He spends more time in the companys research and development labs working on new designs and on the firing range than he does in the boardroom. His awakening came one day when he was shot and nearly killed by an anti-war activist while leaving his home, and got a nice trip to Stygia while he was bleeding to death. The irony of someone shooting him with one of his companys weapons and failing to kill him to protest war and his familys arms manufacturing business was not lost on anyone, and it made him even more dedicated to creating quality firearms. His reasoning: The shooter used a Miller weapon and the shot didn't kill him, so obviously their product isn't good enough.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Muse on January 28, 2015, 10:06:05 PM
Here's Ronia:

I was going to give her the abilty to speak broken swedish and another dot of resources, but buying into the sanctum is important.

The Language merit got errata'd. 1 dot just flat-out gives you the language fluently.

Zeth

Quote from: Muse on January 28, 2015, 10:06:05 PM
Here's Ronia:

Swedish will not come up in this game. Just an FYI.

Zeth

Quote from: BraveEarth on January 29, 2015, 02:34:25 AM
Yeah I was wondering on that as well, because usually Status dots of any sort aren't just for basic membership but something extra in White Wolf games. It does look Errata'd Which means she doesn't have to be an apostate which would be wholly detrimental.

One dot of status does give you something special. It gives you access to the Order's rote specialties and High Speech for free. Without it Jennifer Maxfield can say she s part of the Free Council, as they are trying to recruit her. That is why they taught her those starting rotes. You can spend 2 xp in play to officially join an order and get 1 dot Status. Then you get high speech and access to the rote specialties on all new rotes you learn.

BraveEarth

Umm no I don't agree if that was the case then the book wouldn't tell me, Choose an order, a mystical society of which your character is a member. If you don’t want him to join an order, write “Apostate” on your character sheet. Orders teach their members to cast rotes more efficiently when using certain Rote Specialties. See “Rote Specialties,” pp. 75, It would instead bring everything about Rote Specialities and High Speech in the Status Merit to show that is the benefit, instead of just mentioning that Rotes cannot be learned without status which is the special thing not to mention Social dice and recognition. That's all I'm going to say on this I've to go to bed I'll look at this thread in the morning.

laa

Brave, I don't think it's a matter of agreeing or not, as what Zeth is saying is written plainly (but poorly detailed, the writers should've put more thought into it) in the book.

Although, one could also gain status in-game without the use of XP. I don't remember what page this is on, but I'm sure I read that you can gain merits and such via achievements in the RP. So, say I suddenly get richer, my resource dots would increase. Or say our sanctum is destroyed, we'd loose our sanctum+hallow dots.

@Eternal:
I see some errors in your sheet. When choosing arcana, you have a 2-2-1 split between three different arcana, so it's impossible to have only two arcana, and it's impossible to have a 3-3 split.

Also, High Speech is free if you're in an order. =P

@Zeth:
I've made me sheet digital! Here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1110044

For weapons and such, I used the melee weapons chart and ranged weapons chart to plan out something that seemed fair to me, while also being based off of the idea as to how I got them: After turning a mage, my character turned to his boss, who obviously knew more than he let in on, for a round of equipment. So, for a discount, my char was allowed to get some of the security-staffer's gear, hence the baton, glock and kevlar.

Oh, and the ID-card, suitcase + suit explains itself. =P
(Except the 'banker+'. The idea is I get bonuses to rolls in relation the financial sector. And the suit/suitcase gives me bonuses for formal situations and situations requiring an aura of authority. I mean, if you allow it, of course)

Lockepick

With me being wishy washy, and the current spread of characters, I think I'll lean more towards a mental Obrimos; gunning for Prime 3. I should be able to contribute 1 Point to Sanctum (the group can decide if it's Size or Security or whatever), as well as 1 Point to Hollow. I'm probably going to go with a concept of a Ex-Recluse -- somebody who used to be a shut in before Awakening, and is now all too eager to see the world. Not sure on Mysterium or Guardians, honestly, but probably one of those -- unless there is some social/plot reason I'd join another. I don't imagine I'll get too entrenched int he Order anyway.

@Eternaldarkness: You can't start with Death 3 and Matter 3. You have to allocate 2 dots / 2 dots / 1 dot, and your Ruling Arcana (Death/Matter for Moros) must be each of those. Then you can add one more Dot (either to one of those, or do a new Arcana). Meaning the closest you can do your current configuration is 3 / 2 / 1. You also get High Speech for free -- you don't need to spend a point on it.
  Iaa beat me to it :)

laa

Sounds like we've almost gotten every character in the bag then! Yay! =D

Perhaps we should talk on 'how we met' and get that noted down sometime soon. Like, agree on it and such. Consilium or generic bar meetup?

@Muse: I just noticed something. If you compare your weapon to the melee weapons chart, you will notice the closest similar weapon is the 'greatsword', which has size 3. This means it cannot be hidden, and that it requires 3 strength to carry. AKA: You need to increase your strength by 1 to be able to use it properly. (Core rulebook, page 170)

Zeth

Advancing your character states that gaining a new rank in a merit costs the new dot in the merit x2 in XP.

Well we got are group together it seems. I will post the in game thread today.

laa

Yea, I can't find where I read that stuff about progression, so I'm probs wrong. Sorry 'bout that one. >.<

And awe! Can't wait to get started. =3

Lockepick

@Muse: You can use a weapon with a greater Size than your Strength -- you'll just take a -1 to use it. Also, using a one-handed weapon with both hands increases your Effective Strength by 1 for wielding it -- though that doesn't work on weapons that are inherently two-handed. I'm not sure where a Bastard Sword might fall.

I'm not sure I'm super ready to post IC yet -- don't have a picture/name/anything yet, really. Working on a sheet now. Though I also have my RL game tonight, so probably won't be around to post anyway until tomorrow...

Zeth

That is an excellent point. How did you guys meet? Some of you are from the same order and Boston has a Consilium. Did you meet through those?

To help spice things up I picked up nWoD antagonists, so not every threat you face will be directly the result of Awakened magic.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: lockepick on January 29, 2015, 08:42:05 AM
With me being wishy washy, and the current spread of characters, I think I'll lean more towards a mental Obrimos; gunning for Prime 3. I should be able to contribute 1 Point to Sanctum (the group can decide if it's Size or Security or whatever), as well as 1 Point to Hollow. I'm probably going to go with a concept of a Ex-Recluse -- somebody who used to be a shut in before Awakening, and is now all too eager to see the world. Not sure on Mysterium or Guardians, honestly, but probably one of those -- unless there is some social/plot reason I'd join another. I don't imagine I'll get too entrenched int he Order anyway.

@Eternaldarkness: You can't start with Death 3 and Matter 3. You have to allocate 2 dots / 2 dots / 1 dot, and your Ruling Arcana (Death/Matter for Moros) must be each of those. Then you can add one more Dot (either to one of those, or do a new Arcana). Meaning the closest you can do your current configuration is 3 / 2 / 1. You also get High Speech for free -- you don't need to spend a point on it.
  Iaa beat me to it :)

Yeah i'd forgotten about that. Any game i played in we always ignored the 2, 2, 1 thing. Guess he's getting a dot in something else.

Angie

Quote from: lockepick on January 29, 2015, 10:36:06 AM
@Muse: You can use a weapon with a greater Size than your Strength -- you'll just take a -1 to use it. Also, using a one-handed weapon with both hands increases your Effective Strength by 1 for wielding it -- though that doesn't work on weapons that are inherently two-handed. I'm not sure where a Bastard Sword might fall.

WHAT? WHAT? I wish I'd known that! I wouldn't have put that point into Strength, then, I'd have given Angelo 4 Dexterity...or 3 Stamina. Since he uses Dex for attacks with his Katana (that's the Fighting Finesse) he only needed the 2 Strength to wield it properly, and now you're telling me he could do it with 1 Strength...

Angelo also has another way into the party-every Mage needs a Doctor eventually. If any of you have been involved in scraps (or even something as minor as a car crash), you guys might have already met. Granted, he can't tell if you're Mages or not, but the Consilium probably has his name on file.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 29, 2015, 12:34:52 PM
WHAT? WHAT? I wish I'd known that! I wouldn't have put that point into Strength, then, I'd have given Angelo 4 Dexterity...or 3 Stamina. Since he uses Dex for attacks with his Katana (that's the Fighting Finesse) he only needed the 2 Strength to wield it properly, and now you're telling me he could do it with 1 Strength...

Angelo also has another way into the party-every Mage needs a Doctor eventually. If any of you have been involved in scraps (or even something as minor as a car crash), you guys might have already met. Granted, he can't tell if you're Mages or not, but the Consilium probably has his name on file.

Evan provides consilium members with untraceable firearms and other equipment at reasonable prices or for favors. He custom-makes them with no identifying marks and cleansed of any arcane signature or evidence of maker (since i'm changing his arcana dots around).

laa

Perhaps some met outside of the consilium and some after the consilium. But I personally definitely think the consilium should be involved. Opinions?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: laa on January 29, 2015, 12:41:17 PM
Perhaps some met outside of the consilium and some after the consilium. But I personally definitely think the consilium should be involved. Opinions?

Anyone needing something made might have contacted Evan for some reason or another, and he's fairly likable and outgoing and would have been actively looking for cabal-mates.

And here's a link to a PDF I found unbelievably useful playing Awakening: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4h3dKZ4IlleUDdCeXhkeWRSakU&authuser=0

Lockepick

@Angie: Katana still might require two hands as a base, I'm not sure. I don't think I see a lot of one-handed Katana users -- so you may not have the 'one handed as two handed' option anyway. Nor do I think it's too late to change your character sheet if need be.

@Eternaldarkness: Maybe my Prime 3 and your guy could get together at some point to do some Imbue Item jobs? He puts a Matter spell into them, and I seal it up?

Zeth

Thank you Eternaldarkness, that pdf helps.

Angie

A Katana has all the same stats as a sword, just with a +1 Durability. Still, Strength 2 means he's a little faster and can carry some more stuff, I think I like him as is.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: lockepick on January 29, 2015, 12:56:22 PM
@Eternaldarkness: Maybe my Prime 3 and your guy could get together at some point to do some Imbue Item jobs? He puts a Matter spell into them, and I seal it up?

that may very well be how they met, actually. For sure after we start he's going to get together with your char and get everyone's gear enhanced though, and as self-appointed Banner Warden of the cabal (A position he might share with Ronia, or fight her for :D) he'll make it a point to see that everyone is trained in some martial skills and coordinated tactics in case things get violent, and will handle maintenance and improvement of sanctum defenses.

laa

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 29, 2015, 01:13:17 PM
that may very well be how they met, actually. For sure after we start he's going to get together with your char and get everyone's gear enhanced though.

Though if the items are magically imbued, removing the trace of the place of origin is a bit more complicated.

Zeth

Any suggestions for the Chronicle name? I need one to make the Thread.

Angie

Quote from: Zeth on January 29, 2015, 02:44:54 PM
Any suggestions for the Chronicle name? I need one to make the Thread.

All Along The Sixth Watchtower, obviously  ::)

Lockepick

I was mulling over some Cabal names (which could also be the Chronicle name, I suppose).
- Argent Spyglass (would also accept Sterling Spyglass): Sticking with the 'Color - Noun' theme of some of the other Boston Cabals:
- Eye of Providence (Referencing Freemasons in Boston, as well as investigation)
- Jones' Stake (Referencing Margaret Jones, first witch executed in Boston -- pun on 'stake' as in a claim to something, as well as the fact that she was burned at a stake.)

I believe somebody already said that their character would be the legal owner of the Sanctum -- I'd love some information on what form that Sanctum takes -- then I'd be happy to work out some details for our Hollow as well.

Angie

Angelo would probably be the legal owner, that or...who's playing the financial dude? He could own it to.

Somebody with more imagination should probably design the place, I tend to do very vague, general descriptions and let the party fill it out with the rest-if you demand that a couch look a certain way, it becomes so.

Lockepick

I don't mean to suggest that we need a floor plan and a description for each room -- I mean more like... literally what is the building? Is it a house? Is it an abandoned fire station? Is it a bank vault? Is it an old army bunker? Is it a maintenance shed under an overpass?

Angie

I suppose it would depend on who's the legal owner of it-they would naturally gravitate towards something things that had some sort of symbolic meaning to their path. laa, what's your dude's path? (You're the one playing the financial dude, right?)

laa

Angelo and Jacob (I'm calling him his shadow-name from now on) are from the same path, according to memory. But, perhaps they could have a co-signed ownership?

My character would probably either look for something really safe or something that can be build upon later. A warehouse fits this bill, especially if it's a small bit away from a major city - only a small bit though, one has to think of transport times.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: laa on January 29, 2015, 03:25:31 PM
Angelo and Jacob (I'm calling him his shadow-name from now on) are from the same path, according to memory. But, perhaps they could have a co-signed ownership?

My character would probably either look for something really safe or something that can be build upon later. A warehouse fits this bill, especially if it's a small bit away from a major city - only a small bit though, one has to think of transport times.

Something outside the city proper would be preferrable to Evan. It means he can have  a firing range on the property, and it makes unsavory Death magic less likely to cause trouble for them.

Angie

An old warehouse that we've spruced up a bit might work out pretty well. Angelo only needs a bunk and a wireless connection and he's set. Maybe it was a warehouse that some other people renovated into a pretty decent living space and Angelo and Jacob, realizing the potential in such a location, sprang for it at the first opportunity? Could also explain why neither of them have many Resource dots-they put up a lot of cash to get this place as soon as they could.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 29, 2015, 03:31:09 PM
An old warehouse that we've spruced up a bit might work out pretty well. Angelo only needs a bunk and a wireless connection and he's set. Maybe it was a warehouse that some other people renovated into a pretty decent living space and Angelo and Jacob, realizing the potential in such a location, sprang for it at the first opportunity? Could also explain why neither of them have many Resource dots-they put up a lot of cash to get this place as soon as they could.

Remember, Resources 2 is actually not bad. Evan has 3, and he's got the finances to help with cabal expenses too.

Angie

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 29, 2015, 03:40:15 PM
Remember, Resources 2 is actually not bad. Evan has 3, and he's got the finances to help with cabal expenses too.

Oh I know, I just enjoy making things make some degree of dramatic sense.

Zeth

Your Sanctum is a brewery and your Hallow comes from the Angel Share it produces. As a bonus you get Liquid Tass in the form of enchanted whiskey. Or is that too cheesy?

Angie

Quote from: Zeth on January 29, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
Your Sanctum is a brewery and your Hallow comes from the Angel Share it produces. As a bonus you get Liquid Tass in the form of enchanted whiskey. Or is that too cheesy?

Fuck it, I'd roll with it.

laa

My char would so try to sell that for a profit.

"Come and taste the yearly harvest, at Jacob's tass bar!"

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Zeth on January 29, 2015, 04:07:45 PM

This is awesome. Evan would totally get his dad to front money and market that large-scale :D premium whiskey for discerning tastes (tass imbued), and cheaper stuff for sale to the general public.

Angie

Holy shit, it even fits in with Angelo's "Doctor" theme-whiskey was used as anesthesia long ago!

laa

Err, remember, it only produces a little sum every day, so yea. xP

eternaldarkness

Quote from: laa on January 29, 2015, 04:56:33 PM
Err, remember, it only produces a little sum every day, so yea. xP

That's why the 'premium' stuff is expensive, and why we develop our Prime skills and cultivate and strengthen that hallow until it produces much, much more.

laa

I see we have a lot of business-minded people around. This might turn into quite the capitalistic venture!

Zeth

Not counting Locke's Sanctum points you're at like 3 size and 3 security. Maybe toss his point in Hallow and upgrade the mana per day?

Angie

Could do that. Locke, how many points you tossing in?

Muse

Here's what it says about the bastard sword in Armory.  I'll adjust.  : )

Bastard Sword: Called a “bastard” sword because it is said to be the bastard child of the long sword and the great sword (and also called the “hand-and-a-half”), this sword can be wielded with a single hand or held in two for greater damage. Wielding it one-handed requires a Strength of 4, and provides a Damage of 3(L). Wielding it two-handed demands a Strength of 3, and allows a Damage of 4(L).

(More hollow is good!)

Zeth

Quote from: Muse on January 29, 2015, 06:26:23 PM
  Here's what it says about the bastard sword in Armory.  I'll adjust.  : )

Bastard Sword: Called a “bastard” sword because it is said to be the bastard child of the long sword and the great sword (and also called the “hand-and-a-half”), this sword can be wielded with a single hand or held in two for greater damage. Wielding it one-handed requires a Strength of 4, and provides a Damage of 3(L). Wielding it two-handed demands a Strength of 3, and allows a Damage of 4(L).

(More hollow is good!)

Sorry Muse, I don't have the Armory so you can't use stuff from books I don't have.

laa

Zeth, just let the sword count as a great sword. =P

Zeth

Quote from: laa on January 29, 2015, 06:49:01 PM
Zeth, just let the sword count as a great sword. =P

Shush, I'm using this as an excuse to go buy the Armory book. =P

laa

Lockepick

I planned on one dot of Sanctum and one point of Hallow.

Angie

We can add another point to Security-if we're running a business, we'd obviously like to secure our shit.

This also means that we'll probably be going first in any combat on home turf. And then Angelo gets carvy...

Lockepick

Pulse
(Matthieu Claude)
Obrimos of the Mysterium

Concept
Matthieu's family never appreciated his intellect, and the rest of the world showed little use or job opportunities for a history major. Upon Awakening, suddenly the past meant something, suddenly the world was full of unexplained items and phenomena from the past. All his preparations, all his feelings of being an outsider prepared him for his life as a Mage...

Personality / Goals
Pulse is eager to explore the world. He's eager to get out there and find out what hasn't been found before, to leave his mark on the world by discovering something monumental. He is perhaps a little too eager or emboldened by his new reality-warping powers, and takes risks as if he's immortal.

He's interested in growing within the Mysterium; Make a discovery that would be known Consilium wide; Increasing his own Arcana/Gnosis; Developing his own Legacy.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 29, 2015, 09:49:41 PM
We can add another point to Security-if we're running a business, we'd obviously like to secure our shit.

This also means that we'll probably be going first in any combat on home turf. And then Angelo gets carvy...

And the lead starts flying. not to mention the many, many traps and defensive features i intend to have Evan incorporate. We will always want to fight at home if possible.

Zeth

Sadly, you will be going out a lot. The lost tower is not in your backyard. :P

Okay kidding aside, let's begin. I will Make an OOC thread and Character list Thread. We can continue game discussion there and hopefully kick off the IC soon. I'll jus call the hronicle Hunt For the Unknown.