RUGBY - For whom do you cheer?

Started by NiceTexasGuy, March 11, 2011, 05:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiceTexasGuy

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Okay, cheesy, but I was hoping the importance of my dilemma would come through.

I've noticed a lot of people on the forum state they are from or live in the UK and other parts of Europe, and a few from Australia, too, so I was hoping a few of you could offer some opinions. 

Growing up in the southern USA, the sports we watched and played were (American) football, baseball, basketball, etc.  Only recently have I "discovered" the totally fascinating and awesome sport of Rugby.  Yes, it has been played on the collegiate level in certain areas of the country all along, but it has basically remained unknown to all but a select few.

Recently I have signed up for a new package with my satellite company which offers a couple of channels where I can now watch rugby!  As with other sports, I find it more enjoyable if I can follow the progress of and "root" for a specific team.  Usually with professional sports we pick these teams based on geography, or sometimes because of a particular personality we like, or because of some athlete who attended our alma mater.  However, none of this is applicable to me because it seems like nobody within 2000 miles of me plays Rugby, nor did my school have a rugby team.

So, therefore, I'm wanting YOU to to help me out and tell me which team or teams I should root for, and why.  The matches most frequently televised here are the Magners League, LV Cup, and Super Rugby.

Thank you.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

HockeyGod

NiceTexasGuy

Thanks.  That covered the "who" in an entertainingly dramatic fashion, but it was a little weak in the "why" department.

(Truth be told, I was hoping to generate copious amounts of hate and discontent some lively discussion amongst the rabid loyal fans.)
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
==============

Pellafin

Arkady Duvall: You! I don't believe it!
Jonah Hex: Guess I'm just a bad penny.
Arkady Duvall: Why are you doing this?
Jonah Hex: Because I don't like you.

NiceTexasGuy

I appreciate the responses ... what I'm really looking for is some justification for why I should pick your team.

For example, a response might look something like this:

My team is the Fulchester Fulcrums.  They are awesome because their hooker used to be a prostitute*, and in the off season they promote world peace and lower taxes on beer.

*FYI, in the U.S.A. "hooker" is slang for prostitute.
===
==============

HockeyGod

The Sale Sharks because they're one of the oldest clubs, got great players...and...um...Ben Cohen. There isn't anything better in this world than Ben Cohen.

Major Major

The All Blacks

New Zealand's national Rugy Union team. They come onto the field in Funeral Black, they chant a fearsome Maori haka (war chant) at their foes that in essence says "We are about to kill you and eat your dreams. And you can not stop us.", and then, without any further threats, and in near silence, they annihilate the other teams with their speedy Wings, and powerful scrums.

They are Unstoppable.

NiceTexasGuy

Thanks, guys.  It's so much easier to begin my research when I have some focus in the beginning.

And now we know Alxnjsh (most likely) has a crush on a married man, but who wouldn't, after he donated an autographed jock strap to be auctioned off for one of his favorite causes?  I wonder, though -- was it used?

And Major M, I had of course heard of the All Blacks.  I love it when a team does its haka, it reminds me of the scene from the movie Zulu.  I was waiting for the other side to line up and start singing Men of Harlech.

This really does help.  Any more recommendations, or does nobody else out there have any pride in their team?
===
==============

Ramster

I'm not such a rabid rugby fan as I am of football (with a round ball), and don't keep track of it too much, but I played rugby union in the second and third XV of Leeds University a few years back so feel I should pop in!

I like the Leeds Rhinos rugby league team as I used to live down the road from  their stadium, and in the Aviva Rugby Union Premiership I'm a fan of Saracens, mainly because they're more or less from North London and reasonably successful.

As for players, I really like how Danny Cipriani is growing into his role as Jonny Wilkinson's replacement, a daunting task if ever there was one.
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Oniya

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on March 14, 2011, 08:18:26 AM
And Major M, I had of course heard of the All Blacks.  I love it when a team does its haka, it reminds me of the scene from the movie ZuluI was waiting for the other side to line up and start singing Men of Harlech.

Now, if there was a Welsh team that would do that, I'd actually seek out a rugby game to watch.  (I'm a passive sports viewer at best.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zealously Jaded

ENGLAND! They have 1 team to beat for a grandslam...oh and they will win the world cup!

Ramster

Hell yes, Absinthe Tori! *Hugs*

Here's a look at the greatest moment in rugby history as yet:

Jonny Wilkinson Drop Goal To Win World Cup 2003
A/As!!!

NiceTexasGuy

Oniya, that would have to be one of the more awesome moments in sports history.

Much thanks for the input, everyone.  Aside from (naturally) cheering for your national teams, what local teams do you propose and why?
===
==============

Kendra

Quote from: Oniya on March 14, 2011, 01:04:43 PM
Now, if there was a Welsh team that would do that, I'd actually seek out a rugby game to watch.  (I'm a passive sports viewer at best.)

The haka is nothing great to watch any more ;) seriously
We've all seen it and it scares no one
There was a brilliant game where  the Welsh team actually stared them down - they did lose but from the off set it promised to be an excellent game from that stand off alone.
Haka Vs 'Rock Hard' Wales

I support Ireland and Munster

Mainly Munster which is the province in Ireland where I am from.
They are a classic team, strong and determined with loyal fans.
Stringer plays scrum half and is like the heart of the team - when he's playing, the lads rarely go wrong
O'Gara - the captain - great kicker, bloody awesome to watch

There's always a ton of Munster players put forward for the Irish team
granted Ireland lost to Wales the other night but no fear... they'll kick ass again ;)

Italy played really well the other night and won against France in the 6 Nations which was awesome.
Italy aren't a great team by any stretch of the imagination but they've been gradually improving and could be one to watch.

Woot!! for the World Cup -- roll on September :)

Oniya

Quote from: Kendra on March 15, 2011, 10:07:19 AM
The haka is nothing great to watch any more ;) seriously
We've all seen it and it scares no one
There was a brilliant game where  the Welsh team actually stared them down - they did lose but from the off set it promised to be an excellent game from that stand off alone.

Staring them down isn't nearly as fun as a counter-sing.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

NiceTexasGuy

I can see where the haka might seem boring to someone who has seen it plenty of times in the past, but for me it's all still new and interesting.  The All Blacks aren't the only team to do that, are they?  I know in the USA on the collegiate level the team from BYU does it, too.

What I don't understand about it is that the other team will just line up and watch.  Maybe to those in the know, they are "staring them down" or something, but to me it looks like they're just standing there taking the abuse.  It would be in my character to do something to counter the haka.  Like the aforementioned Men of Harlech.  Or perhaps turning their backs to them, mooning them, or whatever.

On the other hand, I've been told the haka is a way of showing respect to the enemy.  Or is that just politically correct propaganda?
===
==============

Oniya

Well, if nothing else, it shows that you think the other team is worthy of the effort.  In a combat situation, it seems odd to announce your presence in such an elaborate manner.

Liam

Ramster

Now here's an manful response to the Haka, by Ireland, who else? Happy Paddy's Day!

Anderson challenges the Haka
A/As!!!

Kendra

Quote from: Absinthe Tori on March 14, 2011, 10:51:53 PM
ENGLAND! They have 1 team to beat for a grandslam...oh and they will win the world cup!

LOL Ireland beat them - bang went their grandslam!!  ;D 8-)

Ramster... that is only classic viewing ;)

consortium11

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on March 17, 2011, 11:46:57 AM
I can see where the haka might seem boring to someone who has seen it plenty of times in the past, but for me it's all still new and interesting.  The All Blacks aren't the only team to do that, are they?  I know in the USA on the collegiate level the team from BYU does it, too.

The All Blacks are the only team that do the Haka itself; it's a New Zealand dance so it would be strange for another country to do it. That said a couple of other nations do have their own similar dances that they perform pre-game.

Two examples:

Munster (an Irish Rugby Team) play the All Blacks while having several New Zealand players in their squad. Before kick off the Munster New Zealander's perform their own Haka to the All Blacks.

Munster Haka

Samoa vs New Zealand.... duelling war dances

all blacks vs tonga haka and wardance

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on March 17, 2011, 11:46:57 AMWhat I don't understand about it is that the other team will just line up and watch.  Maybe to those in the know, they are "staring them down" or something, but to me it looks like they're just standing there taking the abuse.  It would be in my character to do something to counter the haka.  Like the aforementioned Men of Harlech.  Or perhaps turning their backs to them, mooning them, or whatever.

There's a pretty thin line where the All Blacks get pretty offended if you do anything but stand there and take it. Either directly responding (such as walking towards them and staring them down) or simply ignoring them (as in just continuing to warm up without paying attention to the Haka) get their establishment pretty riled up.

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on March 17, 2011, 11:46:57 AMOn the other hand, I've been told the haka is a way of showing respect to the enemy.  Or is that just politically correct propaganda?

Whatever the cultural and historical significance of the Haka, in rugby it's current "use" is as much to intimidate the opposition as to play tribute to its past.

The All Blacks (re)introduced a Haka in 2005 known as the "Kapa o Pango"which was more aggressive, more specifically about rugby and ended with a slit throat gesture. That caused a lot of controversy and was eventually withdrawn (or at least, some of the movements changed).

As for who you should support it should of course be London Irish.

Why?

Because our mascots consist of a giant wolfhound and a 6 foot+ leprechaun

Because (although tragically I can't find any pictures or video) Eek O'Hairy (the aforementioned leprechaun) rides around the stadium on a penny farthing playing a sousaphone.

Because the mascot once needed to nab a ride off the supporters...

Because once the pitch we have/had arguably the best 15 man squad in the English premiership... but we have absolutely no depth so even a few injuries or suspensions (or now internationals) means our team is decimated. We can go from top of the table and running riot in the Heineken Cup (the biggest competition in European Rugby) to losing 10 games straight.

Because each St Paddy's day match we try to set a record for the most Guinness drunk in a single location on a single day.

Because we have a (slightly terrible) house band called the Biblecode Sundays who play wherever we go to the extent you like them despite yourself.

BibileCodeSundays - Irish Londoner

Drinking all day by the Bible Code Sundays

Because we're one of the few clubs to actually have a reason to sing Fields of Athenry, despite the fact everyone does it anyway.

London irish beat perpignan

Because we have a rivalry with the Quins... and we definitely beat them on the songs front.

Bible Code Sundays Quins Song at St Patrick's day game

Bible Code Sundays I'd rather be a paddy than a Quin

Kendra

Quote from: consortium11 on March 22, 2011, 05:55:54 AM

Munster (an Irish Rugby Team) play the All Blacks while having several New Zealand players in their squad. Before kick off the Munster New Zealander's perform their own Haka to the All Blacks.

Munster Haka

Because we're one of the few clubs to actually have a reason to sing Fields of Athenry, despite the fact everyone does it anyway.

YAY!! Munster - that's my team  ;D

not sure why the London Irish team would 'actually' have a reason to sing the 'fields' but then again I don't know why the Munster teams fans sing it either, when Athenry is in Galway xD

consortium11

Quote from: Kendra on March 22, 2011, 08:02:01 PM
YAY!! Munster - that's my team  ;D

not sure why the London Irish team would 'actually' have a reason to sing the 'fields' but then again I don't know why the Munster teams fans sing it either, when Athenry is in Galway xD

It's a song essentially about an Irish man being forced from his home... and London Irish are the team known as the Exiles...

Considering these days that any city that has ever been visited by an Irishman feels like the song is part of their tradition and I think the Irish have a strong claim.

Kendra

See I learned something new today - never knew the LI were nicknamed the Exiles
Will be able to impress at the next game I watch of them ;)

AllieCat

There's a network that shows it here in the US (I know, my SO is a soccer fan and they show rugby on it too)...

I tried watching it, right now too much like "Kill the Man with the ball".. But one of the teams had the wackiest shirts!

Looks like an explosion in a paint factory..

But mmmm.. rugby players *grins*