Mecha Mashup Interest Check! (REBOOT)

Started by Outlaw Fallen, January 20, 2014, 01:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman4560

Silk are you playing a mechanic because it would be awesome if your character created those types of mechs. Being the Zoids.

Silk

One of my characters will be yeah. Since I'll be running both pilot and a mechanic. Although she won't be the original creator of the animal based mechs, since that's a cultural thing I'm making up, she can quite happily be the one who deviated and made more variations than just the felines.

Oreida Wesker

This is a war that's been around for ages and the ranges on these highly complex instruments of
'protection and defense' provide a question of how scarce or abundant these Mobile suits or their parts are. I figure what faction you're with would determine some quality or availability to upgrades, but thinking about that isn't very fun.

@Rebel: That's a interesting query, mew. I would honestly think, in a realistic light, taking into consideration the war and technology, there possibly could be a widen spans of devices just like there is today. A civilian channel made by range to one another or location to telecommunication towers, Mercenary channel or frequency that are encrypted, and military using satellite telecoms making it harder for jamming signals, if someone plans on using a scrambler or EMP. Communication systems seem to be up to the player along with all of their other devices. Our Host GM seems to be very generous with that factor. I do think a virtual interface would be too distracting and it could be something more to the pilot's preference of being an ear piece,  speakers, implant, or what have you.
Hots and Nots

All my devotion betrayed, I'm no longer afriad.

SargentToughie

You also have to keep in mind, Oreida, that this is HARDLY faithful to any kind of age or technological setting. At it's most basic premise, this RP is going to be about huge robots being awesome and smacking the shit out of each other, and it's going to be far more focused on interpersonal character drama then it is the actual warfare. Yes there will be combat, lots of it, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a secondary focus in terms of what we do and how things are planned out, if that makes any sense. If it doesn't make any sense, sorry, I'm pretty terrible at explaining things.

What I'm trying to get at is saying that sweating small stuff like how our frames communicate isn't going to impact the RP all that much. At least, that's how I see things. As for upgrades and how often they're available or how good they are, I don't think that's going to be a huge concern either. I mean, Outlaw has made it abundantly clear that we're basically allowed to do whatever we want with our giant robots of choice, so as long as it doesn't interfere with the balance of the RP, I don't see a reason to put a leash on how many times a frame can be repaired or given a new weapon... Within reason of course. If somebody is out there going "I GOT THIS NEW AWESOME THING" after every single battle, we are going to have problems.

That's just my viewpoint anyway. To try and summarize it in a non-long winded and probably really confusing post, relax and just try to have fun. This RP is more about the characters then it is the mechs.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Silk

Well it's already been said that unless it's another player, were basically superior to the vast majority of mechs out there.

Outlaw Fallen

GM Announcement!

We have our first two threads! If I've approved your character, feel free to post it in the character directory. Also, please continue further chat in our new OOC thread. We are on our way, ladies and gentlemen!
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

WhiteWave

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 30, 2014, 10:52:19 AM

Hey I was thinking of making my character a mysterious character, like out of no where this mech comes one day, kicks some butt, and then disappears again. No one know who it is or where they came from, the type of mech is not like anything they had seen before, there are small characteristics that remind some people of an older rebel mech from about 20 years ago or so but everyone knows that pilot is long gone. Both sides have no idea who is and it doesn't seem the mech's pilot is taking any sides when in combat. The mech keeps making appearances whenever innocent civilians are going to get hurt, enslavement, genocide, or things of that nature. Would that be something I could possibly do? Or is that not an approved concept?

Silk

Whitewave@ Problem is that sounds more like a NPC concept than anything, unless your a secret double lifer from a supporting role that's with a faction. Otherwise your'll be spending the vast majority of the game waiting for the next fight.

WhiteWave

Quote from: Silk on January 30, 2014, 12:33:05 PM
Whitewave@ Problem is that sounds more like a NPC concept than anything, unless your a secret double lifer from a supporting role that's with a faction. Otherwise your'll be spending the vast majority of the game waiting for the next fight.

Oh no I was going to make the character leading a double life, otherwise I would have the exact problem your saying. Eventually they would give up they're cover life to work fully as a mech pilot, eventually agreeing to work with someone or a group.

Silk

As long as your cover life has a "nation" that they are affiliated to I don't really see the problem with it. But it's down to Outlaw in the end

Outlaw Fallen

I will have to consider it, WhiteWave.
Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 30, 2014, 10:52:19 AM
GM Announcement!

We have our first two threads! If I've approved your character, feel free to post it in the character directory. Also, please continue further chat in our new OOC thread. We are on our way, ladies and gentlemen!

I don't know if that showed up since your quote of me was blank, but there it is again.
I will come reformed

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

SargentToughie

It showed up. I'd have posted mine, but I'm at work on my phone right now. Will post profiles when I get home.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Outlaw Fallen

I just wanted to be sure. We've been having game-relevant chat for some time now, but this is an interest check thread. I'm sure we've done nothing wrong yet, but I figured moving to an OOC thread before we descend into more general chat would be best. See you guys there!
I will come reformed

Oreida Wesker

@Toughie: Ha! Bro, ya kinda reiterated what I said and then told me that I didn't say that all in one post. I'll try not to include that fact that it almost sounded like you were telling me to relax.

I say almost cause it's difficult to tell if people phrase words exactly as they mean it... Anywho, Moo. -runs off flailing to make this stuff-

Edit: Will be posting on OOC from now on.
Hots and Nots

All my devotion betrayed, I'm no longer afriad.

Robelwell202

I'm still considering the idea of using the AXR-7 Arbalest, from 'Full Metal Panic', but I'm wondering if the lambda driver would present a problem, especially if the character I plan on using would have no issue activating and using it.

Anyone have anything to say on that?
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Delta 8O8

I think the Lambda Driver would be OP.

The Arbalest and M8s are fine though.
Even the Savages.

Hey, hey...so does that mean all the little fodder we'll be plowing through are going to be those from all the animes, games, & cartoons we're bringing up?
"O'er Azure Skies and Emerald Plains
"Be without fear in the face of your enemies
Stay Low, Go Fast
Where Freedom and Justice Prevail!
Be brave and upright, that God may love thee.
Kill First, Die Last
With Courage and Strength
Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death.
One Shot, One Kill
We will fight to the end
Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong."
No Luck, All Skill
For Liberty in our Land!"
This is my Oath

PaladinZenaku

Quote from: Robelwell202 on January 30, 2014, 10:48:54 PM
I'm still considering the idea of using the AXR-7 Arbalest, from 'Full Metal Panic', but I'm wondering if the lambda driver would present a problem, especially if the character I plan on using would have no issue activating and using it.

Anyone have anything to say on that?
Well this game has some elements from Rifts in it and the golden rule in RIFTS is "When you have a big gun, remember the GM can bring in someone with a bigger one." I learned that the hard way.
Quote from: RebelJap8O8 on January 31, 2014, 12:12:54 AM
I think the Lambda Driver would be OP.

The Arbalest and M8s are fine though.
Even the Savages.

Hey, hey...so does that mean all the little fodder we'll be plowing through are going to be those from all the animes, games, & cartoons we're bringing up?
I like the M6s and that soviet mech ith the gatling gun. Oh I think outlaw might bring in stuff we havent even thought about yet.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: RebelJap8O8 on January 31, 2014, 12:12:54 AM
Quote from: PaladinZenaku on January 31, 2014, 03:18:50 AM
Oh I think outlaw might bring in stuff we havent even thought about yet.
I think, yeah, there could be any number of fodder-frames from all of the mentioned influences so far. Though, I don't believe I am as well versed in this stuff as some of you guys are, so I'm interested to see what you guys also bring to the table. Every pilot will have customized their own mech one way or another.
Quote from: PaladinZenaku on January 31, 2014, 03:18:50 AM
Well this game has some elements from Rifts in it and the golden rule in RIFTS is "When you have a big gun, remember the GM can bring in someone with a bigger one." I learned that the hard way.I like the M6s and that soviet mech ith the gatling gun.
On this note, all I can say is this; I don't know what RIFTS is, but I am a firm believer in the golden rule that just because a GM can do something doesn't mean they should. I have no idea what the Lambda Driver is, and my googling is limited at work, so unless one of you guys explains it, I can't give it a go or no-go. If it is something that has a weakness that can be exploited, and is finite in its capabilities, then it is something that I can say absolutely to. By rights, the Radiant Wave Surger is a one-shot any given day of the weak, but I dialed it back for the sake of the game... granted, it will still be a one-shot to the aforementioned fodder-types. I believe I have seen others do the same with some of their frames' abilities.

So far as I have seen, everyone that has submitted profiles so far has done an outstanding job of rounding out their frame's combat abilities and including a basic hitch to each one's functionality... the proverbial Achilles' heel, as it were. Some are what I believe to be even more capable in some areas because they gave up something else. This game will be, as I said, a game of give and take. I would like to see some competition between the players on the frames they've built because everyone is putting time and effort and their own personal touch into something they dream about, but that will require everyone to accept that they will win some and they will lose some. Here, the term Ace doesn't mean that you are unbeatable or undefeated by any stretch. It means that your ass is still drawing breath and has yet to get caught in a catastrophically failing frame... or perhaps you were, but were able to survive somehow... or someone's blade hasn't found its way through your cockpit yet.
I will come reformed

Silk

From what I know of the Lambda drive is that it's basically Tech Telekenesis, Aka, a device that allows the wielders willpower to become a physical construct

PaladinZenaku

I will state this that the Lambda driver has major flaws but they involve the pilot mostly.

First the pilot must have training how to use it correctly.
Second the lambda driver takes so much strain on the body the pilot sometimes have to resort to medication to mantain his ability to use it for long periods.
Third if the pilot doesnt have or use the first two points, he wont be able to use more than 10 minutes or less and even then only a small portion of its power.
~Shadowfang~

Robelwell202

Quote from: Silk on January 31, 2014, 05:25:09 AM
From what I know of the Lambda drive is that it's basically Tech Telekenesis, Aka, a device that allows the wielders willpower to become a physical construct

This is pretty close.

My own understanding of the Lambda Driver is, it's a semi-organic device that takes the mental imagery of the pilot, and transforms it into an energy form with physical dimensions.

Example one:  If the pilot were to see two projectiles coming at him at high speed, and without the possibility of dodging them, the Lambda Driver could take the image of a shield or armor, and create a barrier to those incoming projectiles.  (See 'Full Metal Panic:  The Second Raid' episode one)

Example two:  In the hands of a particularly skilled pilot, the Lambda Driver could, theoretically, be used to extend kinetic-energy pulses inside the cockpit of another mecha, with devastating results (Seen several times, at the hands of Gawron, in the first season of MFP).

While I'm not a god-modded by any stretch, I'd like my use of the AXR-7 Arbalest to be without any major restrictions on the Lambda Driver (I.E, my pilot knows how to use it at will.).  As I said, I'm not a god-modder, so it wouldn't be abused.

Insofar as the 'Achilles Heel' aspect, I can see a much more realistic set of issues facing the Arbalest.  First off, it's got a limited endurance during any one deployment (Stated as 100 hours).  Second, it's primary weapon, the Boxer Shotcannon (Think of a mecha-sized shotgun filled with slug rounds) has a VERY limited amount of ammo in it (Due to the size and construction of the weapon, I'd call it a six-round magazine, at best).  Finally, it's head-mounted vulcans eat up ammo at a very quick rate, leaving the last-resort weapons as an armor-piercing dagger, and another knife called a 'micro-molecular cutter' (Basically a large knife with a chainsaw-like blade on it's edge).

Does this help at all?

O/O
A/A
Ideas

PaladinZenaku

Ok i think we explained it enough. can I ask a question about the universe of Full metal panic.

What is the name of the red AS that has the Gatling gun on its arm? The Soviet AS that is seen in the desert episode where Sousuke has to work with the spec ops team to take out Gauron.
~Shadowfang~

Outlaw Fallen

Ok, I have a much better idea now, Robelwell. I said before that am open to any number of abilities in this game. It may never come into play, but my pilot is a pyrokinetic and is capable of a sort of telekinesis, himself due to his being a demon. In a lot of ways, it sounds like the Lambda drive is very unique and improvisational much like the upgraded Radiant Wave Surger. So, this would not be something I am opposed to. The only part of this I am wary of is telekinesis reaching directly into a cockpit. That could definitely prove to be a game changer, especially since you request that your pilot has full knowledge of it.

Other GM's have taken a chance on me in the past, and I see no reason not to impart some trust in this instance. I will be looking for a profile application from you, Robelwell. I'll be honest and say that I would like to see you devise some more offensive applications of the Lambda drive than the inner-cockpit telekinesis since the frame is offensively weak. Or, figure out some other modifications to make it offensively stronger since the Lambda drive is so hard on the pilot... the Arbalest is yours here. So... looking forward to having you in the game.
I will come reformed

Robelwell202

QuoteThe only part of this I am wary of is telekinesis reaching directly into a cockpit. That could definitely prove to be a game changer, especially since you request that your pilot has full knowledge of it.

Oh, of course.  As I stated above, there's no reason to worry about me god-modding, and the Arbalest is full of offensive punch as well.  Personally, I think it'd work well with the RX-79(g) that Mac84 has entered, as they're both similarly-tasked mecha.

Quotethe Arbalest is yours here. So... looking forward to having you in the game.

Excellent!   I get working on a character concept, and see if I can find some decent specs on the Arbalest.   I should have something up soon.

Thank you!

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Robelwell202

Quote from: PaladinZenaku on January 31, 2014, 02:15:40 PM
Ok i think we explained it enough. can I ask a question about the universe of Full metal panic.

What is the name of the red AS that has the Gatling gun on its arm? The Soviet AS that is seen in the desert episode where Sousuke has to work with the spec ops team to take out Gauron.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a 'Venom' custom version, used by an old 'friend' of Susuke's.  The arm-mounted Vulcan was definitely a custom ob, but I think the base machine was a Venom-class Arm Slave.

O/O
A/A
Ideas