Looking for : System-Savvy person to help put a game idea I have to system.

Started by Sherona, July 22, 2008, 06:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Ok I have had this game idea for a while, I am doing a small version of it as One on One, but would like to do a larger game revolving around the fantasy world. however, yes, I have no system-experiance. zip, nada, sooo

Yes, I am looking for someone to help me convert a fantasy game idea to a system. I am looking at GURPS right now, as it seems to be the easiest of the ones I can find online. Lots of patience, a bit of time..:) PM me, and I will go over the idea with you and see if it is do-able..for all I know it might not be..>.>

JadeCore

Depending on what you want to do, you could also try Fudge or Fuzion. There's a bunch of other free basic rule sets running around as well and there's the possibility of taking a well known commercial system like Storytelling or d20 and using that. Different rules, different flavors of game.

OldSchoolGamer

You should consider just what you want to get out of your system?  Is combat important enough that you need the system to have a strong tactical element with lots of options, or is fighting a secondary or tertiary consideration to the point that Civilization or Age of Empires-style abstraction would do the trick to resolve battles?

WyzardWhately

I am a highly qualified system-monkey.  Tell me what your game is about and what you want the rules to do for you.  In as much detail as you can possibly manage.  I will find you a game.  PM or here, either one is fine.

Some sample questions:
Combat:  How much do you think you'll have?  What kind of combat (Battles, duels, swords, guns, cinematic or gritty, or more...wrestling, type of fights)?
Social Interaction:  Do you like to have rules for it?  Do you want there to be mechanics for "beating" someone with words or wiles?
Presence of rules: A few rules and lots of fiat?  Tons of rules to cover everything?  A simple, universal mechanic?
Type of rules:  Do you want rules that simulate the game-world, rules that simulate a genre, or rules that really just distribute power over the flow of the narrative?
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Von Konos

Quote from: Sherona on July 22, 2008, 06:53:41 PM
Ok I have had this game idea for a while, I am doing a small version of it as One on One, but would like to do a larger game revolving around the fantasy world. however, yes, I have no system-experiance. zip, nada, sooo

Yes, I am looking for someone to help me convert a fantasy game idea to a system. I am looking at GURPS right now, as it seems to be the easiest of the ones I can find online. Lots of patience, a bit of time..:) PM me, and I will go over the idea with you and see if it is do-able..for all I know it might not be..>.>

The cyberpunk 2020 system is really easy to.  when I go to run a game on here, I am going to use that system, only need a 2 types of dice.
all the skills are added to the stats so there not much math to do.
In the beginning there was Von and the world was dark. And then Von said: let's get darker.

Sherona

The problem is my world is not like any pre-made world. Special skills, abilities, races, and magic. Wizard is being so kind as to hold my hand :D Thank you all for yur help

Vandren

GURPS is probably one of the most complete systems that can be easily adapted to any setting.  I've tinkered with GURPS 3rd ed. a lot over the last 15-16 years, and from what I've seen it doesn't take a huge amount of effort to switch that into 4th ed. (although I'm not especially happy with 4th).  If you decide to go that route, I'd be happy to help out -- I've particularly tinkered with several variations on the magic system and species, most of which work quite well.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei