The Search for Miyeritar's Lost Light: D&D 3.5/Forgotten Realms

Started by Paladin101, June 08, 2014, 01:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin101

The Search for Miyeritar’s Lost Light:

Story to Date:

The town of Secomber is a small frontier town nestled between the High Forest, and the High Moor. As such, it is extremely welcoming to adventurers, as they help to defend the town from the dangerous environments they find themselves surrounded by. For the most part, the town is peaceful, boasting a large population of farmers and fisherman, and a steady supply of adventurers passing through its gates.

A notice was recently posted in the taverns of Secomber and the neighboring towns, a notice calling for a small band of adventurers to travel into the High Moor on behalf of a wealthy patron. The notice was sparse on details, but was clear on the point that what was desired was a very specific artifact this patron believes to be lost within the Moor, and that the party is free to do as they will with any other riches they may discover with the information this patron is willing to provide them with. The Notice calls for the adventurers interested to make their way to Secomber, to the Inn known as ‘The Nimble Nymph’, a place known for willing bedfellows, and private rooms that boast the best anti scrying, and physical eavesdropping prevention, to be had within the city. Those interested should tell the bartender they are interested in ‘Speaking with the snowlock’. Now, a band of adventurers begin to arrive, seeking more information on this venture, and the riches it promises.

Where: Western Heartlands, starting in the town of Secomber with adventures likely leading the party into the High Moor

When: 1372 Year of Wild Magic

Playable Races: Anything sensible. No half demon ogres or that garbage.

Books Allowed: Any core books, I don’t go with offbrand as they have a tendency to be unbalanced.

Books Forbidden: Unearthed Arcana. Never read the book but heard from multiple sources it allows players to become uber unbalanced.

Ability Points: I am not a point buy system fan, never used it until now. I tend to prefer to run a campaign with characters that are heroic, not near average. Normally I use a 4d6 reroll lowest and keep highest three dice system, but that would be alot of dice rolls to keep up with on here. So instead, I am going to go with handing out a preset bundle of scores, putting everyone on even footing. If this method is unpopular to everyone signing up, I will look at doing the point buy. But my theory here is the points I am handing out come to a 14 average, which is the required minimum average I have when I run a pen and paper game, so I feel them to be properly balanced to not make ridiculous characters, while still strong enough to make potent ones.

That said, here are the scores everyone gets, to then place wherever they want in their character.

18, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10

Starting Level: 6

Character Age:  Whatever you find reasonable. Bear in mind you have some adventuring history as you have reached level six, so yer not a fresh faced youngster anymore.

Hit Points: Since we have a handy dandy dice bot, why not use it? When characters are made, first level is max HP. After that send me your rolls as you make them, my ID is 49898. I allow a single reroll of HP in the first 10 levels, so if you choose to use your reroll, send it to me with that in the comments.

Starting Gold: 13,000 gold.

Alignments: I am intending to run a good themed campaign, so non evil please. Neutral characters are fine, as long as you don’t use the word ‘neutral’ to mean ‘evil but without the nasty aftertaste’

Regional/Background Feats: I allow ONE regional or background feat, such as is found in the Forgotten Realms handbook, in addition to what you normally receive.

Sexual Preferences: Since this is an adult styled site, I imagine people will want to get in some nookie with each other or as a means of obtaining info, or whatever your devious minds may dream up. So please include a statement of what your characters preferences are and how experienced they may be. Since virgins may hold a special interest for some cults that may or may not be watching you.

Deities: Forgotten Realms deities. Nuff said, they be out there.

Spellcasting: When you are writing, feel free to include flavor with your descriptions of your spells. Is your burning flames just a sheet of fire shooting from your fingers, or is it a wave of green flames that roll out from your fingertips? Is your color spray just a rainbow beaming from your hands, or is it like a rave light show flashing lights in rapid fire into people’s faces sending them into a fit? When you heal does the wound glow, does the flesh just knit together? Feel free to describe these things.

Morality: Please give me a description of your characters beliefs, strengths, weaknesses. Don’t just say, chaotic good, because there are many flavors of that. Are you willing to allow a child to die in order to save an entire village? Will you commit murder in the name of a righteous cause? If you’re lawful Good, what is the code you adhere to, what are the beliefs that shape your existence? What are your weaknesses, what part of your vows do you have a hard time adhering to?

Background: As a level 6 character you've done some living. Fill in some of the details to give us an idea of who your character is and where they've come from

Character Sheet: If you want to type out a whole sheet, that is fine, but I would suggest using Mythweavers to make up your actual sheet, and then just including the extra sections in the post where you link your sheet.

If I have missed anything, or there are any questions or matters that need to be clarified, please feel free to let me know. Once I have enough people actually signed up with characters rolling in, I will make an OOC and a Character Sheet thread. I am looking for at least 4, but no more than 8 players. Others can go on a waiting list if other players disappear, but I don't want to put in too many players, because then that whole group is at times stuck waiting on the slowest poster. Though if things do start to lag, I will use my DM perogitive to spur things along past someone who hasn't informed me of something going on to cause their delay in posting.

Muse

*Waves*  going to bed now, but I'm pretty eager to join up here.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Okay, why not.  I haven't D&D'd in a while.  If you still want more players (it looks like you already had a fair bit of interest in the other thread?) I can start thinking up character ideas.

Quote from: Paladin101 on June 08, 2014, 01:19:20 PM
Books Allowed: Any core books, I don’t go with offbrand as they have a tendency to be unbalanced.
By core do you mean first-party books (i.e. published by WotC)?  I ask because a lot of people use "core" to refer to only the basic three books (Player's Handbook, DM's Guide, Monster Manual) and nothing else.

Paladin101

By core I mean books published by Wizards of the Coast.

Landshark

your 13k gold...is that to buy anything we want including minor magical items?

Paladin101

Yes. You can buy magic armor, weapons, potions, whatever. It's to gear yourself out as a character would be after six levels of adventuring.

Landshark

Are you setting a limit on number of players because its looking like 8-10 right now if everyone who was interested actually follows up.

Paladin101

Yes, I am looking for 8 people max to start. I might stretch it if we're just a person over, but I don't want to go much past 8. As I said in my first post, I don't want to overload the party.

Landshark

Sorry one more question...your stat line provided does that already take into account the lv 4 stat bonus or no?

Paladin101

No, your level 4 stat bonus can be applied as you wish. The supplied stats are just your starting point.

Landshark

hehe yet one more question...once CS is complete send to you via PM or post here for approval?

Paladin101

Whichever you prefer. You can PM to me first or just post it here.

Blinkin

I'll be submitting a Swashbuckler/rogue (2/4) or vice versa. Human. I'll submit information in the near future.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Landshark

Paladin101

Blinkin

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RubySlippers

I'm going to do a Halfling Scout 6th Level from the Complete Adventurer Book.

Landshark

Paladin101

Landshark: Just making certain I had the right thing in mind, and that it wasn't some abstract off class I hadn't heard of.

Ruby/Blinkin: Excellent. Sounds like a good group already forming up. And thanks Ruby for citing the source of your class. I knew where that one was, but that approach does make my life easier in looking up the class in question. :)

Jefepato

Well, if Tome of Battle stuff is allowed, I'm kinda thinking of making a crusader.  It should be an interesting experience (and somebody's gotta get between all you lightweights and the monsters).

Blinkin

my guy is mainly a flanker, he'll get his best results there... but he won't be afraid to go toe to toe with the bad guys.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Paladin101

Quote from: Jefepato on June 08, 2014, 04:31:41 PM
Well, if Tome of Battle stuff is allowed, I'm kinda thinking of making a crusader.  It should be an interesting experience (and somebody's gotta get between all you lightweights and the monsters).

Hmm. I have heard of that book becoming unbalancing, but of all the classes in there, I think the crusader is the least likely to be a problem. So I will allow it, but I will keep an eye on it and make certain things don't get out of hand. I have the Tome of Battle, but have never actually played a campaign where the book was used so I can't say from a first hand perspective if those classes and rules are troublesome. So, as long as yer ok with the fact that I'll be keepin an eye on it to make sure things don't get unbalanced, I'm fine with the crusader.

RubySlippers

Character - Under Construction

Garnet Green O' Misty Wood

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Halfling
6th Level Scout
Armor Class  20 flat footed 15, touch 15
Hit Points 39
Neutral Good
Worships Sheela Peryroyl

ABILITY SCORES
Strength 14  (+2)
Dexterity 20  (+5)
Constitution 14  (+2)
Intelligence 14  (+2)
Wisdom 10  (+0)
Charisma 12  (+1)

FEATS
[Regional Feat] Stealthy
[1st level] Two-Weapon Fighting
[3rd level] Weapon Finesse
[4th level scout bonus] Quick Draw
[6th level] Track

RACIAL ABILITIES - HALFLING
• Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class,
a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks,
but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying
limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Halfling base land speed is 20 feet. <CLASS ABILITY IS 30 FEET>
• +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
• +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
• +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the
halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven,
Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
• Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass halfling’s rogue class does not count
when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for
multiclassing.

SCOUT CLASS ABILITIES
Skirmish (+2d6, +1 AC)
Trapfinding
Battle Fortitude +1
Uncanny Dodge
Fast Movement +10 Feet
Trackless Step
Bonus Feat (4th Level)
Flawless Stride

SKILLS - 10 PTS/LEVEL
Balance (Dex)  9 Ranks + 5 Dex = +14
Climb (Str)  9 Ranks + 2 Str + 2 Race = +13
Craft carpentry (Int)  4 Ranks + 2 Int = +6
Hide (Dex)  9 Ranks + 5 Dex + 4 Size + 2 Feat= +20
Jump (Str)  9 Ranks + 2 Str + 2 Race = +13
Listen (Wis)  5 Ranks + 0 Wis + 2 Race = +7
Move Silently (Dex)  9 Ranks + 5 Dex + 2 Race + 2 Feat = +18
Profession woodsman (Wis)  9 Ranks + 0 Wis = +9
Spot (Wis)  5 Ranks + 0 Wis = +5
Survival (Wis)  9 Ranks + 0 Wis = +9
Tumble (Dex)  9 Ranks + 5 Dex = +14
Use Rope (Dex)  4 Ranks + 5 Dex = +9

INITIATIVE:  +5

SAVES
Fortitude  (+6)
Reflex  (+11)
Will  (+3)

ARMOR - MITHRAL SHIRT

WEAPONS
DAGGER
Attack Bonus  +10/+11  melee & ranged, race, size, Damage 1d3+2, Critical 19-20/x2, Range Increment 10 ft., Type Puncture or Slashing.
Two-Handed Fighting  +8 / +8   
COMPOSITE SHORT BOW
Attack Bonus  +11 ranged, size, Damage 1d4+3, Critical x3, Range Increment 70 ft., Type Puncture, Special Magic +1  & Strength 14 Pull

MAGIC ITEMS
Boots of Swift Passage  5000 gp
Composite Shortbow +1  2525 gp
Efficient Quiver  1800 gp
Mithral Shirt +1  3100 gp

WEALTH
170 gp
400 gp in Trade Bars with Fiance at Home

EQUIPMENT

BIOGRAPHY
Grew up in the Halfling community of woodsfolk in the Misty Forest near an elven community and a local unicorn herd the Misty Herd whom they help the others of the forest provide for and she is a scout often working to get furs and things to sell for coin and foraging to feed her kin. She fought in several fights against foul goblins and orcs ferociously. She has been courting another Halfling woman who is a druidess and healer, wagging many tongues mostly as it is a good match. She took up the quest to protect the Misty Forest any evil would eventually reach her home and plans to keep some of the treasure as a marriage nest egg and donate the rest to promote good causes in the kingdom. Her needs are simple.

MORALITY
Neutral Good is a nice community supporting Halfling woman part of the forest guardians and who supports promoting the good of those she cares about. Is no holy champion just works hard, protects the forest and her community and tried to do the right thing all her life.

Jefepato

Quote from: Paladin101 on June 08, 2014, 04:42:00 PM
Hmm. I have heard of that book becoming unbalancing, but of all the classes in there, I think the crusader is the least likely to be a problem. So I will allow it, but I will keep an eye on it and make certain things don't get out of hand. I have the Tome of Battle, but have never actually played a campaign where the book was used so I can't say from a first hand perspective if those classes and rules are troublesome. So, as long as yer ok with the fact that I'll be keepin an eye on it to make sure things don't get unbalanced, I'm fine with the crusader.
ToB characters have some nifty tricks (the crusader in particular has some fun ways to be a good tank), but honestly they aren't all that scary compared to clerics, wizards, or druids.  (But then, nothing is.)

I will try to have a sheet set up by later today.

Blinkin

Anyone know what a Ring of Dementional Step would cost? It would have to be a custom magic item...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.