Harry Potter: Spreading Shadows (EX interest check)

Started by Google, December 30, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

It has been seventeen years since the fall of the Boy Who Lived at the hands of the Dark Lord. The fugitive Harry Potter and his two associates had attempted to break into the Ministry of Magic to steal an amulet from an employee there but they were unable to escape in time... the Ministry was locked down and when the Dark Lord arrived he executed all three of them, curious that it took the Killing Curse twice to put down the Boy Who Lived permanently but in the end Harry Potter was dead, his death demoralizing the entire Order of The Phoenix and though resistance continued for several years nothing of substance was ever achieved.

As the rest of the Wizarding World watched silently the Death Eaters were quick to establish and formalize their control over Great Britain, Muggle Borns quickly becoming little more then slaves to Pure Bloods while those of Mixed Blood heritage were second class citizens under the new Regime.

Six years later the expansion started, it is believed that there had been agents of the Dark Lord in France, Spain, and Germany for a significant time, sowing the seeds and preparing the way for the swift take overs... Voldemort had set his eyes on the rest of the wizarding world. There is no formal resistance to what he is doing, around the world his policies of Pure Blood superiority has a large number of supporters, especially among those in positions of power.

Now the hungry gaze of the Dark Lord has fallen on North America, a new generation of wizards prepare for the struggle ahead.

The year is 2014, you are a witch or wizard in New York City, perhaps you fled from Europe in the face of growing Death Eater power or maybe you have live in New York for most of your life.

Are you working to prevent the coming coup or do you want to see the Dark Lords power spread?

Its up to you.

This game would be a darker game, falling into the Extreme category, a setting where slavery is a very real thing, where breeding programs have been brought into existence in an attempt to increase the number of witches and wizards in the world, where the line between terrorist and freedom fighter is a blurred one.

Canon characters would be in the background and may be used in the game itself... but only under certain circumstances...

Its a chance to explore the Harry Potter universe if it had taken a darker and much nastier turn, an AU where your imagination can run wild.

At this point I am only seeing what interest there is, seeing who else would like to be a part of the game and of course seeing what other ideas someone might have.
Psychopaths cannot feel love.
Not in the traditional meaning.
To a psychopath DOMINATION is the closest sensation to love.
Though it is much greater.
Its intensity is all consuming.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

RainyHigh

Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Google

... Well aside from the fact that Cowboys were involved in that image (Go Eagles) I am immensely happy to have found at least one supported
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Google

Alright we got two... now I did not have a set size in mind but I did want to have a few players to add variety and what I should have mentioned earlier is that I am looking for either moderately literate or just literate players... at least two strong paragraphs per post would be considered a minimum.

RainyHigh

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 09:38:43 AM
... Well aside from the fact that Cowboys were involved in that image (Go Eagles) I am immensely happy to have found at least one supported

Eff yeah Eagles. I am not a cowboy's fan but that man expressed my excitement appropriately.

But yes, this RP I am very interested in, especially since it is AU with original characters involved.
Rainy's Ons and Offs

Joslyn

I'd also like to express interest, this sounds like a great setting. Personally I'd prefer that my character be on the side of the hopeless battle against encroaching magical fascism, but if the game ends up focused on the other side I'd still be up for it. I will keep an eye on this thread, really hope you run this.  :-)

Athos

I'm going to express some tentative interest as well.

Current roleplay status:  Looking for new stories.

"Weep," said Athos, "Weep, heart full of love, youth and life! Alas, I would I could weep like you!"

Google

To clarrify a little more... this won't be a one sided game... or at least I don't want it too be, where one side is clearly going to win. The Facist Death Eaters of course have the advantage of organization and have been planning for a while but I want to depict both sides... a coup on the horizon but the "good guys" out to delay it, prevent it if they can... and maybe find a way to turn the tide.

Faustus

And here I was just thinking about how nice it could be to get involved in a Harry Potter RP. Then this idea rolls up!

Oh yes, consider me curiously interested!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Google

Fantastic... we got quite a few people expressing interest now so I would love to hear what ideas there might be for this particular game.

Not only for the plot but characters... and anyone who might want to play a canon character... well I do have a few that I would be willing to allow into the game but I already have thoughts in place for them... so anyone who has a canon they are curious about working in please PM me with the character and any idea you might have for them.

Please don't be offended if I don't allow that particular character... plenty of room for originals.

kckolbe

Willing to play OC or canon, though prefer OC.  Will there be any kind of system used for this?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Google

Freeform, focus more on the interactions between people rather then the combat...

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Google

Well I am sorry to hear that
Does anyone have any ideas?

Joslyn

I'm glad to hear it will be freeform--I don't mind a system game from time to time but that's my preference.

I've got a character idea sort of gelling in my head, I'll PM you the background for feedback when it's done.  :-)

Google

Wonderful, I think I am going to cook up sheets for the characters tonight... well my tonight or maybe my 1 AM... but I want to hear any ideas anyone might have.

Google

Also... not had the best luck with games I have run in the past... so if anyone would enjoy helping this out and helping me get it off the ground I would appreciate it.

PM me if this is you

Google

Name:
Blood Status: Pure Bloods in this case will be considered anyone whose parents and grandparents were witches and witches (some families might hide a less the completely pure pedigree so this is more about what their blood is seen as), Mixed bloods will be anyone who had a parent or grandparent who was not a wizard or witch, and of course we know what Muggle Born is.
Affiliation: This one is a little more tricky but essentially its about where the character stands in the coming conflict, I am trying to work out names for the factions but I am thinking Neo-Death Eaters for the Voldemort Supporters, Order of the Scar (named in honor of the Dead Martyr Harry Potter), and of course those who are not yet affiliated)

Personality: A single good paragraph will suffice for this, give us some insight into the characters mind and heart

History: Two solid paragraphs as a minimum, give more if you feel inspired. Please keep in mind that Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger all died in 1997, the year of the game is 2014... so reflect characters age if you are going to put in the events of the AU into their history.

Anything Else: Do you want to include something else into this that isn't covered? Go right ahead and add what you like.

A rough character sheet right now, will be refined a bit but if you are just so eager that you need to start working on your character then you can start fleshing things out

Google

Ideas... I have gotten a few ideas and I appreciate every one of them but please feel free to post any thoughts you have for this game publicly... nothing is really set in stone yet.

LOCATIONS
Overall Setting would be New York City, a cultural hub of the North American Wizarding community, seat of the North American Wizarding Council (Each state and the providences of Canada elect a representative and from those representatives a chair person is elected by his or her peers (equivalent of the Minister of Magic) There are 59 Members of the Council and one Chair Person at any given time... and of course as there is with real life politics there is a fair amount of corruption both large and small.

Now in New York I was thinking there would be a Diagon Alley Equivalent... a large magically hidden area where people will be able to shop for their magical needs
A Head Quarters for the Neo-Deatheater Movement (very likely a large penthouse or private clubhouse hidden away from those who aren't... worthy of membership), the Resistance (Name to be determined and suggestions welcome) would have their own meeting place as well (Not having the influence of the pro Voldemort faction and of course having to worry about being killed would likely have a more low key meeting place, I was thinking they might meet in an abandoned warehouse)

Of course NYC is an immensely diverse location with plenty of room for other locations, settings and areas so if you have one in mind then speak up.

I was also thinking there would be limited access to the places that have fallen to the Dark Lord, most likely because a Neo-Deatheater needs to meet up with the higher ups in the organization or maybe a member of The Resistance trying to smuggle a survivor out.

Caela

This looks like an amazing idea. Color me interested. :D

Frank Reshman

Holy crap this sounds incredible.  Let me know when this game starts to pick up and I'll have a character sheet for you!

Google

Alright well keep an eye out because I want to get it started in the next day or so while I still have a few days off to hammer out ideas... please give me any input you might have

Caela

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Alright well keep an eye out because I want to get it started in the next day or so while I still have a few days off to hammer out ideas... please give me any input you might have

I have a question...are we looking at playing students in a NY based version of Hogwarts (perhaps with Teachers and Staff forming some sor tof Resistence cell) or at playing adults (maybe N. American Ministry types) trying to decide what the hell to do with the psycho Europeans being aimed at their borders?

GhettoMagick

YESSSSSSS!!! I am in love with harry potter, I know every spells ever mentioned everywhere, from the games on gameboy color, to the books, from the movies, and all the little side games.
I am very interested in the game but the new york setting through me in a loop. I am going to ask a lot of questions,
1. Is the adult wizarding age still 17 or is it 18 since we are under american wizard laws
2.is there a lot of secret places between places hidden from muggles, like central park is actually fifty times bigger but because of enchantments it seems smaller to muggles.
3. muggles; are there different terms used in america then the uk or are words like muggle and the spell work the same worldwide?
4. clothing?
5. transportation?
6. is there like a mirror new york underground for wizards or are we using the same place?
7. is there a school or is every character of age?
I have like 3 ideas for characters right now.
bookmarked
I wanna be loved by you. Just you. And everyone else too. I wanna be loved by everyone. ;o)

Google

Caela, there is no reason at all that students, teachers, and ministry workers couldn't be involved in the game but really there is no one type of character that I am looking for. You could play the student, you could play a Wizard Private Investigator, you could even be a refugee from a part of Europe where the Death Eaters have taken control.

GhettoMagick, some wonderful questions.
1. I envision the adult age for wizards being 18, mirroring the general age in most states where one is considered an adult... I am thinking the Federal Magic Beura would be the equivalent of the ministry while the council are the people in charge there would also need to be the many different departments and department heads who report to the council.
2. The park itself might not be quite that massive but there is no reason that parts of it couldn't be accessible to only those who know how to find them.
3. Muggle always felt like a universal wizarding english term to me rather then a slang term so muggle will stand.
4. As in Wizarding Britain wizards can wear robes and such... but there are no rules against muggle fashions being embraced and perhaps even tweaked, use your imagination
5. Apparition, Port Keys, Floo, and if you know how to make yourself invisible then a Broom... all of these are of course acceptable.
6. I was thinking there could be a subway station for wizards that take them to either the school (which would be outside the city just because of the scale that would be needed) and the American Wizarding Government... I am thinking the Federal Magic Bureau (not overly attached to that name) would be the equivalent of the ministry while the council are the people in charge there would also need to be the many different departments and department heads who report to the council.
7. There would be an academy, I actually figured North America would have a few of them but if students were involved then it would primarily focus on one outside of the City.

RubySlippers

Question what is the relationship with the Muggle government and magical authority in the USA, are they willing to work together?

Nymphadora

I'm trying to think of interesting names for places.... did think of this though.  8-)

A version of the Knight Bus as a handful of NY Cabs
McSorley's Old Ale House  As an entrance to a Diagon Alley type of place. 
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Google

Well Ruby I was thinking that the President might be made aware of of the existence of Magic when he is elected... essentially a We exist and hopefully we will never have to meet again sort of thing.

Nymph... thank you... epic ideas there

RubySlippers

My character will be a modern witch, half-blood with a Muggle career interest and well magic was secondary with a focus on utility, I was thinking she would be fairly cross educated this is not the dark ages if she wants to work she is far more likely to work among Muggles over magical folk.

So not sure how she would fit in if there is a magical Academy she would at most be working on Charms while going to a regular college for her career plans.

On the plus side she would be the first to propose tapping the Muggles on two grounds their technology should be unusual for the Death Eater purists giving a decisive benefit and if we fail and Muggles decide to retaliate on all magical folk they outnumber the magical folk several millions to one they will win a war if they go to war.

Google

The accademy would be for the not yet adult characters... think Hogwarts... I may also establish a magical college for those who are pursuing special careers but there is no reason that a graduate of the accademy couldn't work her way into a muggle school

Google

Also trying to bring Muggles in might not go over well... I mean yea sure they would likely attack the Death Eaters... but they could also freak out and try to kill any and all magic users.

Joslyn

I made a character sheet we could use for this if its okay.  :-)

[float=right][img padding=10 width=400]URL[/img][/float]
[tt]Name:   
Sex:   
Weight:

Blood Status:
Affiliation: 
Strength:     
Weakness:     
[/tt]
[b]Personality[/b]

[b]History[/b]

Google

Honestly I do appreciate that... I think when the ball gets rolling I will put that into play...

Nymphadora

I'd be interested in helping with the shop keepers, most of whom I assume would be NPC unless someone creates a specific shop and character.

Also, currency, I think it would be best to keep wizarding currency. I don't think I missed that in the posts... sorry if duplicating or cutting in on thoughts if I did.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Google

I was... actually I was going to be lazy on that one and just use the same currency system

Google

Ok so Location ideas we have so far, names are liable to change or be decided on...

Resistance HQ (Need a better name for them, something symbolic... not order of the pheonix but perhaps a reference to Potter's Name"
Voldemort Supporters HQ (remember that they are technically operating in secret... not necessarily trying to raise protests or public support but to soften the target for the take over)
The North Eastern Magical Academy of the Americas. (Hogwarts Equivalent, education usually starts when child is ten and ends when they are eighteen, though depending on the time of the year the birthday falls they may enter at nine and graduate at seventeen and in the richest of traditions the school will be broken into Houses arranged in the tradition of Hogwarts)
Central Park (Plenty of hidden away places charmed to repel muggles)
Diagon equivilent (need a name for it)
McSorley's Old Ale House (strictly enforced political neutral ground, favorite watering hole of the magical community and one of the hidden entrances into the Diagon equivilent)

That is six areas I have so far and I might just establish an Other board... for RP taking place in private domiciles or the New York Subway system

RainyHigh

Ideas for the name of the Resistance HQ
Potter's Invisible Cloak
The Golden Order
The Fourth Task

and that's all I have for now...
Rainy's Ons and Offs

Google

I do like the fourth task... perhaps a PUB (Potter's Unfinished Business)

I have a rough first draft of my own character, refinements will be made but this way we can see how the character sheet that Joslyn was kind enough to type up for us works... if anyone sees anything that should be added to the sheet just bring it up now...

Name: Dominic Blackwell
Sex: Male
Height: Six Foot Two
Weight: Two Hundred and Ten Pounds
Blood Status: Pure Blood, as far back as anyone has been able to trace his family tree
Affiliation: Neo-Death Eater
Strength: Quick Reflexes which have made him one hell of a Quidditch player and in school he excelled in Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Weakness: Transfiguration was always a bit of a struggle for him and Ancient Runes was a class he dropped at the first opportunity.

Personality: Dominic was born into a privileged life, his family was not Malfoy rich but they were very well off. As an only child he was given just about anything he could ever want and not hearing no no ended up doing more damage then one might expect to the developing young man.

He is a man who is confident to the point of arrogance at times and yet he is often able to get away with it, blessed with a charisma that makes people forgive such a character flaw because they often want him to like them. Determined and driven Dominic will do whatever it takes to get what he wants, when he sets his eyes on something he desires then it will be his, he does not see obstacles as something that block his path but instead as temporary inconveniences that will soon be overcome (even if those are people). The charm and charisma can often mask the darker side of his drive and determination, if there is a situation where he isn't getting what he wants he will often be quick to anger, hiding it behind a smile while the rage burns cold in his heart.

He is a believer in Pure Blood Superiority, it isn't something he displays publicly but he is a pure blood and he is superior to most others around him... the world would just make more sense with Pure Bloods in charge.

History: Dominic was born about a year after the fall of the Dark Lord on the fateful night that he went to kill a Young Harry Potter and was sixteen when the resurrected Dark Lord took control of Wizarding Great Britain and killed Harry Potter. He grew up hearing about how Lord Voldemort may have been the last hope for the Pure Blooded Wizards of the world, how if he had lived then he would have ushered in a new golden age for Pure Bloods... His family was of course quietly pleased when the Dark Lord returned.

Of course by the time that happened he was practically grown and had started to form his own opinions. In his time at school he met plenty of mixed blood students and even more muggle borns and while none of them seemed to be obviously flawed at a glance he noticed a lack of respect for the rich tradition they had found themselves a part of, as though they wanted to drag Muggle traditions into the clearly superior world of Wizards. There was no major event that he could point too but in a hundred small ways over his time in school he began to appreciate the views of his parents more and more.

Of course his time at school did more then just teach him about Pure Blood Superiority, he did rather well in his studies and graduated in the top five of his class academically and was the top rated Student Chaser in North America, quickly drafted to play professional Quiditch after his graduation. Though the Chaser is not often considered the most glorious or flashy position Dominic earned a reputation as one of the most talented players out there, a regular on the roster of many a Fantasy Quidditch Teams.

But the glory days can't last forever, he is getting a little bit older and the sport is not a forgiving one, recently he has been considering retiring and following his fathers footsteps into politics, a few contacts that his father had made over the years putting him in touch with the Neo-Death Eater movement.... and Dominic has been swiftly rising through the ranks.

Xanatos

Hmm... I could be interested.

First off, how many characters can we play? I have two already in mind, that I would love to play.

Secondly, how will PvP happen/be resolved? I would personally advise it being a consenting affair between the players involved, if PvP is allowed in the first place. Basically players PM each other, work out the details - tell the GM so he/she knows. Then RP out the results. That way it ends with everyone happy and no hurt feelings.

Google

I didn't really see it as being to heavy on combat but so long as both players involved are willing to work out the situation I don't see any reason to get involved. Now if a character is going to die then a heads up to me or anyone assisting me would be lovely (so that possible ideas for a Meta Plot can be tweaked) but I think everyone is mature enough to handle their own business.

Now I think 2 per person is a good base line, exceptions may be made on case by case but I don't want to flood it with too many character straight off

Xanatos

Sounds good.

I might be willing to help assist with the game, so shoot me a PM if wish.

Now another question for everyone's benefit, are we allowed to create new spells? If I remember correctly, Snape made a few of his own. It has been awhile since I immersed myself in Potter, however.

Google

Huh... the spells might be a no... I would need to think it over but I am sure we could find a database of the spells from the movies, books, and games... perhaps a few fan spells or non vocals spells in certain situations (more for fun then for any real effect in the game) could be tossed in but I don't want to open the door to someone trying and cooking up a fourth unforgivable curse.

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Caela

Quote from: Xanatos on December 30, 2013, 11:06:14 PM
Sounds good.

I might be willing to help assist with the game, so shoot me a PM if wish.

Now another question for everyone's benefit, are we allowed to create new spells? If I remember correctly, Snape made a few of his own. It has been awhile since I immersed myself in Potter, however.

Made a few of his own, and heavily modified those in his Potions book in "Half-Blood Prince".

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 11:09:00 PM
Huh... the spells might be a no... I would need to think it over but I am sure we could find a database of the spells from the movies, books, and games... perhaps a few fan spells or non vocals spells in certain situations (more for fun then for any real effect in the game) could be tossed in but I don't want to open the door to someone trying and cooking up a fourth unforgivable curse.

Just a thought, but maybe any new spell ideas would have to go through the GM's and within certain limits, like nothing that could kill/maim or be excruciatingly painful, no love/lust spells, nothing that would block/take a person's free will, that sort of thing...or maybe just things that are fun...new "joke" spells, or special effects type things like raining down sparkles or flowers type of stuff. ~shrugs~ Or even just the amusement of....you can try, but it's not likely to work so be prepared to write how it blows up in your face. :D

Google

One reason I like the Potter setting is the relative ease of balance... sure you have the occasional all powerful dark lord time but being clever or creative seems to work better then raw power.
And of course just about anyone can use any spell... there are of course exceptions like the Patronus which not everyone will be able to fully manifest and the Killing Curse (you really need to want them dead)

Right now I am going to put a tentative no on any sort of major affect spell, if you want to get creative and have some fun with spells that you cook up then go ahead... anything bigger though should probably be run past me or anyone who is assisting me...

I mean some spells that aren't listed in the book pretty much have to exist... they never say what the spell that heals broken bones is (though there is a very comical failure) so I wouldn't begrudge anyone throwing in a spell to fix a fracture or inflate a tire (maybe even magical cabs have a breakdown)

Sorry I am close to burned out for the day... please don't let my absence stop you from thinking and plotting but I NEED SLEEP

Xanatos

I'll show you two spells I created for a previous Potter game to give you an idea of what I was thinking of. I agree that we don't need any more unforgiveable curses, but well managed spells could be really cool. If you still don't want new spells, I understand.

These two spells would be my two characters signature spells, created and used exclusively by them (as they jealously guard the use of said spells).

Acerbident (Curse): (acerbi-dent) This creates flames which seem to burn with a bitterness, symbolized by a greenish brown tint to the glowing orange flames. This creates magical flames which can be shot straight or with an arch to them to achieve greater distance.

Wand Motion: The wand and hand, to achieve a straight flame, must be pointed straight ahead at the target. To achieve an arching flame the hand and wand must be upraised and pointing slightly downward (it usually ends up straight being in the upraised position which casts the spell efficiently enough, but those who can master the slight bend, can cast the spell in a superior more powerful fashion).

Original Latin
Acerbus: bitter, gloomy, dark
Ardent: Fiery 

Acidusbasi (Hex): (acidus-basi) Causes sharp pains as if being stabbed with needles. Does no physical damage.

Original Latin
Acidus: Sharp, sour.
Basium: Kiss

Caela

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 11:18:57 PM
One reason I like the Potter setting is the relative ease of balance... sure you have the occasional all powerful dark lord time but being clever or creative seems to work better then raw power.
And of course just about anyone can use any spell... there are of course exceptions like the Patronus which not everyone will be able to fully manifest and the Killing Curse (you really need to want them dead)

Right now I am going to put a tentative no on any sort of major affect spell, if you want to get creative and have some fun with spells that you cook up then go ahead... anything bigger though should probably be run past me or anyone who is assisting me...

I mean some spells that aren't listed in the book pretty much have to exist... they never say what the spell that heals broken bones is (though there is a very comical failure) so I wouldn't begrudge anyone throwing in a spell to fix a fracture or inflate a tire (maybe even magical cabs have a breakdown)

Sorry I am close to burned out for the day... please don't let my absence stop you from thinking and plotting but I NEED SLEEP

Actually, Madame Pomfrey uses a potion (Skelo-Grow) to mend broken bones...or in Harry's case to entirely re-grow them in his arm. :)

ETA: In the Potter-verse it seems like there actually isn't a spell for everything...but there may be a potion for it if there's not. There seems to be a balance between what can be done with a wand and what can be done with potions.

Google

She did but she did state that she could have mended them quickly... maybe the same potion does that or maybe its a different potion or maybe a spell... sorry lack of sleep is catching up.

Caela

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 11:25:17 PM
She did but she did state that she could have mended them quickly... maybe the same potion does that or maybe its a different potion or maybe a spell... sorry lack of sleep is catching up.

She did...I always just got the impression that a break was a much faster fix than actually having to regrow the whole bone. :)

Google

I think it is too early on for me to be approving or not approving any spells... I mean this is still just interest generation stage (though I got the interest) and hearing any ideas/suggestions/or concepts that might exist

Though on the second one we already have the established stinging hex...

Google

Quote from: Caela on December 30, 2013, 11:27:58 PM
She did...I always just got the impression that a break was a much faster fix than actually having to regrow the whole bone. :)
You are right, I mean we were both working off different impressions but it does seem logical they would have at least a spell that could set bones... ah who cares, thats a bridge to cross later

Nymphadora

Episkey is a bone mending spell.  Tonks uses it to fix Harry's Broken nose.

But it's true, as Caela said, there isn't a spell for EVERYTHING

For those odd things like Google said, unspoken spells for little things....
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

RubySlippers

Name: Cassidy Brown (not her birth name)
Sex: Female   
Height: 5 ft./7 in.
Weight: 141 lbs.

Wand: Generic hazel wand with dragon heartstring core, curved handle and straight shaft five inches long. Used it a long time and it seems to like her but well is not one that chose her.

Magical Items: Pocket Watch (transports the user back where they were up to five minutes before, a focused form of teleportation). Shield Necklace (causes jinxes and curses bounce off the wearer, won't work on major magic). Old Fashioned Pen (self-inking, spell checking). Bracelet (turns luck in craps strongly to the wearers favor). Mood Ring (lights up when over a roulette space that will come up next, most of the time). Ring (protects from being detected as a witch from low to middling magic).

Blood Status: Half-Breed (Vella)

Affiliation:  Unaffiliated

Strength:  The family since the Salem Witch Trials integrated into Muggle society and few Wizarding families are so well-connected around and have knowledge of Muggles. Among magical folk the family is widely perceived as Squibs allowing them to live under the radar. Is very talented in charm magic, enchanting items and concealment magic as in to hide things. Has a very Muggle education (see below). Has the benefits of being Vella Blooded she is beautiful, can enchant men, is resistant to some magic and has strong social skills.  Is a rather good down and dirty magical duelist not the fancy sport version she is trained to fight including unarmed combat, but only as a must use it to survive. Known magical law well. Wealthy.

Weakness: Like most of her family is home schooled in magic and although has potent Charm magic is not as good in other areas, potions is especially weak at around a 3rd Year at Hogwarts but did focus on curative potions so is best at those. Is seen as a Squib is not exactly noble among magical folk. Has not as good connections among Wizarding folk.  Wand is not custom she got it from a third party source and even though is attuned to it the wand doesn't allow her magic to be as good as other magical folk save oddly charms its normally effective. Is ingrained not to use magic with a wand openly so even in a fight she will rarely act if not threatened.

Personality: Like most of her family she is far more comfortable among Muggles than magical folk and is very subtle pretending to be a Squib among magical folk, not hard she was not formally schooled in magic and save for passing the USA version of the W.O.M.B.A.T and heavily uses passive magical devices. Her families view is the best defense is to hide and meld into Muggle society where wizarding authorities have little access to. Its not all sinister she is good hearted, appealing, socially talented and quite brilliant just well focused in other areas than magic. She enjoys some business interests in the Wizarding world however and more in the Muggle world using her magical talents to get ahead in the nice Gray Areas of magical law and keeping a low profile. Is very hesitant to ever use a wand in public unless disguised.

History: Grew up with her parents after her birth in a Vella enclave in Greece, and was introduced to magical studies young and heavily home-schooled in both Muggle educational areas and magic. Her record not showing up as a newly born witch in the USA. She was however taught outside normal channels and carefully introduced as just another Squib in the family among magical people. She entered Bryn Mawr College and earned a degree in Philosophy with tons of electives then earned a double degree an MBA/JD in Business Law. Since then she used her magic to score at casinos using luck turning magical items, invested that and made more money and is a rising star in the family. And good thing much of her money is in Muggle banks an area Wizarding folk don't care about and its easy to convert at the bank on the other side of the fence.

Joslyn

I had my character approved earlier through PM, but since there are some in the thread now I wanted to add mine as well.

Name:   Lisa Yamazaki
Sex:    Female
Height: 5’2”
Weight: 110 lbs.

Blood Status: Muggle-born
Affiliation:  Order of the Scar
Strength:     Healing, Potions
Weakness:     Divinations

Personality

Lisa is a very intelligent but timid young woman, driven by curiosity and a desire to help others. She takes her role as a healer very seriously, and gladly worked long hours up until the recent loss of her job. She has issues with self-esteem, especially with regard to being Muggle-born. Though she finds violence and revenge extremely distasteful, she has increasingly come to feel that she should take on an active role in resisting the Neo-Death Eaters.

Her hobbies include reading, studying magic, and watching Muggle televison and movies. She is a lesbian, but has yet to be in a relationship or have sex.

History

Lisa Yamazaki is a Muggle-born witch, originally from the city of Boston. Her parents, Michael and Hanako, were distant but overbearing—hardworking professionals who pushed their only child too hard. While Lisa was very bright and excelled academically, she became withdrawn and awkward socially. She did have friends, though she never got to see them outside of structured activities and did not feel close to anyone.

As she neared her eleventh birthday, Lisa and her family suffered through the usual bizarre occurrences caused by adolescents coming into their magical abilities. Lisa’s paternal grandfather Tarō, a squib who had abandoned the wizarding world out of resentment, turned Lisa’s parents against her. They became emotionally abusive as a result. When Lisa received her invitation to Salem Memorial, the nearby boarding school for witchcraft and wizardry, she decided to run away from home rather than ask for permission she knew would not be forthcoming.

She followed the directions to the hidden local haven for magical businesses in Boston, but with no money or anyone to guide her she ended up crying alone on a sidewalk. Lisa was found there by Professor Annabella Smithson (née Arcadia), the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Salem Memorial. Annabella was deeply concerned about the lost girl, purchasing all her supplies and getting her to the train station in time for her trip to school.

Lisa adjusted well to life at Salem Memorial, despite occasional bullying she received due to being a Muggle-born. However, she returned from Christmas break with a black eye and bruises inflicted by her grandfather. She had been forbidden from returning to school and had run away again. Annabella had been keeping tabs on the girl she had helped, and seeing this was too much to bear. When the professor offered to adopt Lisa, she gratefully accepted.

The adoption caused a great deal of tension with Annabella’s husband Varius, who had once been somewhat open-minded but was increasingly becoming obsessed with the ideology surrounding blood purity. He refused to let Lisa take the family surname—the Smithsons were Pure-Bloods, as was the family Annabella had come from. Lisa gained no siblings from the adoption, as Annabella was infertile.

By the end of Lisa’s fifth year at Salem Memorial, Varius had transitioned from mere reactionary to full-fledged Neo-Death Eater. Annabella rented a place for Lisa to stay in Salem for her safety, and then went back home to seek a divorce and try to keep possession of her house. She soon fell ill and passed away. While it was later proven that Annabella was poisoned, she was considered a blood traitor by her relatives and the investigation into her death was a farce. No charges were ever filed against Varius or anyone else.

Lisa was almost constantly by her adoptive mother’s side during the final week of her life, and her death affected the young witch deeply. Despite a battle with depression Lisa was able to seek out and obtain legal emancipation. She redoubled her efforts at school, determined to become a healer in part due to witnessing Annabella’s illness.

After graduation Lisa worked for a year at the Beneficence Hospital for Magical and Mundane Ailments in Boston. Despite her exemplary work, she was fired from her post to protect the hospital’s reputation—the political climate in the city was becoming increasingly dire, and the hospital’s administration pushed out all Muggle-borns to protect the donations they received. With nothing to keep her in the area, Lisa left for New York City. She hoped to find work, and despite her dislike of violence she increasingly desired to become involved with the resistance against the encroaching darkness.

Google

I think recruitment has gone well, I have some replies to make but after that I will be putting up a discussion thread where I will post the official history (and maybe answer a question or two that might be lingering) and also the character approval page which will contain the rules as well... if anyone would like to volunteer to help run or organize then PM me now.

Google

RainyHigh

Name:   Priyam Thomas
Sex:    Female
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 125lbs

Blood Status: Pure-Blood
Affiliation:  Unaffiliated
Strength:     Dueling, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms
Weakness:     Transfiguration, Potions, Divination
Wand:     Core: Dragon Heartstring Wood: Yew (white color) Length: 10 inches

Personality
Priyam is a determined witch. She has many aspirations to be greater and attain more power so she can become high ranked. Priyam is a reserved witch, a keen listener and observer but is not afraid to "act the part" and socialize when the time calls for it. Priyam believes that all humans are equal regardless of their magical ability. Priyam is loyal, has lots of patience for stupidity. She is not afraid to protect those who can't protect themselves and stop those who want to hurt others that can't protect themselves. Priyam despises bullies of any kind.

History
Priyam was born to Mita Patel (a pure blood witch of Indian decent) and David Thomas (a half-blood wizard of European decent). Priyam's parents are a happily married couple living a middle class life in the United States. They did not attend any magical school however, preferring to live a muggle life. David Thomas is a stay at home dad and Mita Patel is a homicide detective for the NYPD. When the couple had Priyam in their mid 30's, they thought of her as a miracle. They had been trying to conceive for five years before they gave up only to miraculously conceive Priyam. Before Priyam was born, David Thomas worked as a health aid in an elderly home, leaving the profession to take care of Priyam.

Priyam was a quiet baby, the couple always felt like she had so much going on in her brain as she barely made any noise. As Priyam grew up, she remained the silent type, preferring to read books than play with dolls as a child. When Priyam was 10, she was recruited to join a school of witchcraft and wizardry, her parents having not attended but wanted to let Priyam decide on her own allowed her to attend. Priyam excelled at witchcraft. She loved dueling in her dueling club, and even went as far as to become a dueling captain for her team. Priyam tried out for Quidditch but did not make the team as her flying skills were "okay" but not as good as other students. 

Priyam studied Defense Against the Dark Arts partly because it was interesting and partly because she wanted to be more like her mother who was a police officer and later detective. While Priyam excelled at Charms, her ability for more complicated transfigurations was "acceptable". She had and still does have a difficult time with transfigurations. Priyam received poor results with Potions and Divination, often becoming too frustrated with the practices. Her worst encounter was when a potion she made exploded and seared the hair off her eyebrows and top of her head. Priyam had to continue her studying of Potions often retaking classes since her aspiration was to become an Auror.

After graduating, Priyam went on to become an Auror and did the training program, but was not selected. She then went on to join the lower ranked magical law enforcement patrol in New York that takes care of lesser threats.

Concerning the Neo-Death Eaters, Priyam does not support the Dark Lords agenda. Though she is a pureblood witch, she grew up with muggles as her parents did. She believes that magic and non-magic folk are equal which is part of the reason she is in law enforcement. Though this is her first year on the job, she has bravery, intellect and quick reflexes that rival many Aurors.
Rainy's Ons and Offs

Google

Joslyn

Looks like our discussion and character threads are both in the wrong forum.  :P Might want to delete them and start over.

Google

What... where do they go?
Sorry I got a start on new years Early...

Joslyn

They are both in this forum (group roleplays wanted) instead of over at ex.

Google

Oh duh, thank you for the help on that one, should have been obvious, had a few drinks when the year ticked over

We have character creation
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=193293.0

And discussion now in the right place
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=193289.0

Google

Update email sent out to let the people know directly about the new threads and an update on the approaching start... but more are welcome

CurvyKitten

This caught my eye but you seem a bit female heavy already. But I did want to drop this off to help you with some Harry potter info, it really is my go to site instead of the wiki.

Harry Potter Lexicon

Google

Well I do appreciate it but please don't feel like you need to hold back because of the number of females, I am hoping to draw in more people after my duty day ends today

persephone325

This looks like fun.

And I see an Asian character. *squee*
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Google

Please take a look at the discussion and character thread... I am working to finalize a few locations and expect to start things up very shortly

persephone325

I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Google

persephone325

Name: Tsubaki Ageda
Career: Psychic
Height: 5' 1"
Weight: 115lbs
Sexual Preference: Straight; curious tendencies

Blood Status: Muggle-born (Part Veela on her mother's side. Her great-great-great grandmother.)
Affiliation: Order of the Scar
Strength: Divination, the outdoors/being around animals, fast and agile
Weakness: Being cut off from the outdoors, duels/combat
Wand: 11 2/3", English Oak, Veela hair core

Personality:
Tsubaki has always been a friendly girl. At a young age, she started reading and learning all she could. Because of her eagerness to learn, she became an extremely smart girl at the tender age of 12. However, this sort of alienated her from the other kids. She didn't have too many friends, and being a witch added to that alienation.

Tsubaki loves being outside and around animals. She feels a strong connection to nature, and channeling the energies of the outdoors helps make her spells and magic stronger. At least that's how it feels to her. She is quick to defend her allies (human and animal alike), putting herself in danger for a loved one.

History:
Tsubaki came from a long line of witches and wizards, dating all the way back to the 1500s. Though, for some unknown reason, after her thrice great grandmother gave birth to her children the magical gene seemed to have vanished.

Though it came as a surprise when the gene resurfaced in Tsubaki. As soon as she learned to talk, her parents knew something was different in her. The young girl seemed especially gifted in being able to predict future events. When she learned to speak, she predicted her aunt's pregnancy. Right down to the minute the baby was born. It astounded everyone in her family.

She doesn't remember much about the fall of Harry Potter and his friends. Only that they were trying to do good, and were killed for it. Her parents even mentioned how much she was like Hermione; smart and beautiful. Even though her parents were muggles, they knew something bad was happening. They would hear bits and pieces of news about the on-going war. That's how they knew of the fallen heroes. Tsubaki did her own research when she was fifteen, finding out all she could about the tragic war and all the lives that were lost. She was so disgusted by the travesty that she vowed she would do all she could to help overthrow the Dark Lord and his flunkies. So when she became old enough, she was determined to be part of the new resistance. And so she was.
I don't know.

Nymphadora

So much more than an interest check now! 

Come check it all out and join us for Harry!

Or slip in like a snake and make way for the Dark Lord!

Be a double agent or stay clear and just enjoy the magical world hidden just below muggle eye in the street of New York!
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

ladia2287

I love this idea, and have an OC I can recycle as a refugee. PMing now to discuss and if all is good I should be able to get a sheet up soon :)

ladia2287

Name: Alysia Diana Prince
Height: 5 foot 2
Weight:

Blood Status: Pureblood
Strength: Charms, Defensive Magic, Business Management
Weakness:

Personality
For the most part Alysia prefers to keep to herself and rarely use magic. She emerses herself in a small muggle dress shop that she runs in New York City and rarely socialises. She avoids any and all conversation about her past and tends to get a bit snappy at anyone who asks.

History
Alysia was born in England in 1962 to a wealthy pureblood couple, and is a step-cousin of founding Death Eater Severus Snape, though she had very little to do with him or his family growing up, her parents disapproving of Eileen's marriage to a muggle.

Soon after the capture and execution of Harry Potter, Alysia wrote to her cousin informing him that she was moving but did not tell him where. She then made preparations to move to America and settled in New York, using what remained of her savings to establish a muggle dress shop in a suburban shopping mall, where she has worked ever since.

Nymphadora

Welcome ladia!!

I just put your character sheet into the character thread. :-)

You can put up an opening post for her any time.

Nymph
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

persephone325

Quote from: ladia2287 on January 08, 2014, 10:36:16 PM
Name: Alysia Diana Prince
Height: 5 foot 2
Weight:

Blood Status: Pureblood
Strength: Charms, Defensive Magic, Business Management
Weakness:

Personality
For the most part Alysia prefers to keep to herself and rarely use magic. She emerses herself in a small muggle dress shop that she runs in New York City and rarely socialises. She avoids any and all conversation about her past and tends to get a bit snappy at anyone who asks.

History
Alysia was born in England in 1962 to a wealthy pureblood couple, and is a step-cousin of founding Death Eater Severus Snape, though she had very little to do with him or his family growing up, her parents disapproving of Eileen's marriage to a muggle.

Soon after the capture and execution of Harry Potter, Alysia wrote to her cousin informing him that she was moving but did not tell him where. She then made preparations to move to America and settled in New York, using what remained of her savings to establish a muggle dress shop in a suburban shopping mall, where she has worked ever since.

Mmm... Love that actress. <3
I don't know.

ladia2287

It was a challenge finding an image to use: I usually play her much younger than this lol