Hmm....Well, looks like it's about time to let my laptop go. o-o

Started by Wolfy, September 11, 2010, 04:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

I just got...*gasp* the infamous BOSD.

o-o Good thing I'm going to be getting a new computer within about a month or so.

Oniya

Depending on what you're doing when it BSOD's, you can sometimes get a few more months out of 'em.  Before I got the machine I have now, my old one would BSOD if it got too hot.  I could limp along through the summer by shutting down periodically, and once fall and winter hit, I could run it all day with no problem.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Well, I had to shut it down using the power button because it got stuck..then it BSOD'd me when I turned it back on, and now it's acting fine. o-o

I dunno...I think the Processor could be failing...it's over-clocked, which I've heard lowers the lifespan.

Oniya

I couldn't speak on that, but when I was having my problems, I found that letting the computer sit for 30 minutes after a crash allowed me to start it without a BSOD.  Might help in your situation.  (Does over-clocking add to the heat output?  If so, then the 30-minute cool-down is even more likely to help.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wolfy

Over clocking will definetly add to heat..but it hasn't had any problems before.

Oniya

It's part of the computer aging process, I think.  My computer was fine for a long time before it started reacting to higher temps.  The half-hour wait gives it enough time to cool down so you don't get that immediate BSOD.  You might be able to limit the number of crashes by taking periodic shut-down breaks (experiment with how long you can leave it up at a time.  I think I was giving mine a half-hour break for every 4 hours up.)

princeben07

Over clocking will definetly add to heat..but it hasn't had any problems before.

A crucial thing such as a COOLING Pad would drastically reduce your chances of the BSOD. because you're getting a BSOD coul dindicate a damaged .DLL file, which is very crucial in the loading of Windows XP/Vista/7 or what have you.