Interest Check: DBZ - A Different Saga (Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Alt-Canon)

Started by ShadowFox89, March 14, 2017, 02:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

A simple interest check to start, looking for 4-5 people for a game set around where Dragon Ball Z takes place. The 23rd World Martial Arts tournament has just concluded, the heroes who defeated the Red Ribbon Army are relaxing at Muten Roshi's island when a mysterious object can be seen streaking across the sky....

The game would be open to all the various races of Dragon Ball and Z: Humans, Saiyans, Majin, Androids (altered and enhanced humans for you nitpickers), Outerworlders, Namekians, and Aliens. The system would be Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, using standard character creation. I would like to have everyone roughly around the same strength as the crew at the start of Z, so no blowing up mountains or planets just yet, and death just means you might get to visit a certain blue god.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Premier

Latooni Subota

Assuming it's a good, tight group size, i'm interested. I love me some MHRB and ki blasts.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Broken

I'm unfamiliar with he Marvel rules, but am willing to learn for a DBZ plot.

TheFourthShade

wander

Tentatively interested...

Dragon Ball hits my nostalgia feelz enough to dust my copy of MHR off and try a game again. I just hope we don't see too many d12s being thrown around (for strength it's highly likely going off memory, though I'mma balk at seeing Yamcha and Yajirobe at d12s and the odd d10 across the board! ^^; ).

Thankfully the level of power a dice gives is listed for every power and skill in the corebook, so should be easy to stat up some DBZ charries. :)

ShadowFox89

Well, it seems I have enough interest at least. I'll be statting up Piccolo to show what I feel a "baseline" for characters should be, this will be a bit different than usual MHR. The goal is to set the bar lower, so to speak, with starting powers, so that there's room to grow. Especially if we want to get up to "blowing up planets" level of power.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

Annihilation had rules for Galactus, so it's possible to get there. There were even rules to have a timer for planets blowing up in that supplement too. Basically a scene aspect starting at d4 and increasing in size each turn until it hits 2d12, which is boom! and also a scene ender. Narrative would decide usually the PCs would get to a ship and escape the blast between scenes though.

You'd be looking at around 2d12 'Cosmic' power level at least, which was a power-level introduced in that supplement and more for characters that were 'best in the universe' types.

Kathyan

I have no idea about the system, well actually I have an idea as I found 3 chapters in spanish (no more has been translated) but I would love to have the full handbook so if anyone has a link for could you PM it to me? Thanks in advance ;)

Kunoichi

I've got some interest in this game as well, and familiarity with the system being used. I would like to know a little more about the plot, though. Is it basically just going to be going through the plot of DBZ, but with different main characters, or...?

ShadowFox89

Pretty much that, yes. But given that we have original characters, things could diverge pretty wildly from the main plot. Radtiz could end up showing up with Nappa and Vegeta, Cell will probably be made of cells that don't involve the Z-fighters, etc.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

I still find it pretty funny the system has mutated so much that Piccolo is classed as a baseline character and not being able to blow up planets is classed as being a lower power level than normal...

That's acceptable for DBZ games, though as for poor Marvel; won't anyone consider Hawkeye and Cyclops? ^^;

Katra Alexion

Color me very interested in this game. Currently I am at posting this during my lunch hour at work so I will post again once I get home and look more into this.

TheFourthShade

EDIT: First pitch for power sets removed.  Pitch for character is added below.

Karla
Karla

Affiliations

Team D10
Solo   D8
Buddy D6

Distinctions
Daughter of Aristocracy
“I'll Never Give In!”
Self Taught Fighter with a Short Temper

Power Sets

Self-Taught Ki Mystic
Enhanced Ki Senses  D6
Ki Blasts                    D6
Flight                         D6

Ki Area Spray: Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target of Ki Blasts.
Limit: Conscious Activation – Shut down Self-Taught Ki Mystic when asleep, unconscious, or suffering from mental trauma.

Unintentional Saiyin Juggernaut
Durability  D6
Enhanced Stamina D8
Strength      D6

Dangerous Saiyin Rage: Add a d6 to the die pool and step back the highest die by one, add +1 to the stress inflicted.

Unleashed Saiyin Potential:  Step up or Double Any Unintentional Saiyin Juggernaut Power, if the action fails add the normal die to the doom pool.

Limit: Saiyin: Gain 1 PP when affected by Saiyin related milestones and complications.     
Limit: Exhausted: Shutdown any Unintentional Saiyin Juggernaut power to gain 1 PP.

Specialties
Business Rookie D6
Combat  Rookie D6
Menace Rookie D6
Psych  Expert D8

Milestones

Rage Boiling in the Blood

1 XP – When you lose your temper or refuse to back down when offered the chance.
3 XP –  When your temper or pride getting the better of you has consequences that a more level headed soul might have thought of.
10 XP – When you vanquish a mighty foe in battle who has injured your pride or embarrass them so thoroughly otherwise that they might wish to have merely been defeated.

Background

Karla knew she was adopted.  She knew other children didn't have tails and that her parents didn't either.  She knew that her parents loved her very much.

And she was a pretty princess, albeit one who couldn't behave to save her life, to begin with.  She was too energetic, too willing to play with the boys, and able to smash walls if she got in a bad mood.

Needless to say, her parents did the only sensible thing and put out a tremendous reward for any martial artist who would (or could) teach her.  None of them lasted long enough to earn the reward, though going through so many teachers with lessons both useful and bunk allowed the child to begin teaching herself.  She spent her rather considerable (to the standard salaryman) allowance on research.

She couldn't really get much practice fighting, though.  Most people who would spar with her went down in one hit.  She had to use some subterfuge to get away from her family long enough to enter the 23rd World Martial Arts tournament.   She was defeated not long after the qualifiers, of course, but she had gotten a taste of real fighting...and it tasted pretty good.

She wasn't exactly sure where things would end up afterward, but, at least she met new people and had fun.  She even met Muten Roshi at some point...or maybe she found him.  Either way, she didn't know what was just over the horizon, though...

Kathyan

Ok I was finally able to get my hands on the book, will check it patiently and see what I can come up with ^^

ShadowFox89

Piccolo
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
(One Half of a Super Namekian)

AFFILIATIONS: Solo (d10), Buddy (d8), Team (d6)

DISTINCTIONS:
- Dragon Clan Descendant
- Legacy of Demon King Piccolo
- One of a kind

POWER-SETS

*Namekian
Superhuman Durability (d8), Superhuman Stamina (d8), Superhuman Reflexes (d8), Superhuman Strength (d8)

*Lifetime of Training
Ki Blast (d8), Ki Mastery (d8), Superhuman Speed (d8), Superhuman Flight (d8), Superhuman Senses (d8)
SFX: Makankosappo - Step up Ki Blast against one opponent
SFX: Area Attack - Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each target past the first
Limit: Conscious Activation - If stressed out, asleep or unconscious shutdown LIFETIME OF TRAINING. Recover power set when stress is recovered or you awaken. If Physical Trauma is taken, shutdown LIFETIME OF TRAINING until trauma is recovered.

SPECIALTIES:
Combat Master (d8)
Acrobatic Master (d8)
Cosmic Expert (d6)
Mystic Expert (d6)

Alright, so, I've not played much MHR before, as a warning. But it isn't a particularly complex system. Here's a take on Piccolo, to give you an idea of what to look for a starting character. I'd like to give some wiggle room for growth, getting up to blowing up planets at some point.

And since this is an AU game, there are some canon characters that you'll have run into/will run into: Bulma, Muten Roshi, Demon King Piccolo and Kami, Red Ribbon Army, Emperor Pilaf, and Monster Carrot.

Originally the idea for the game was going to be set in Dragon Ball, but I would have had to scale down the power even more to reach the heights that DBZ gets to.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kathyan

Glad to see you around again, from what I've seen on the handbook the character creation process is very intuitive, but easy to get. I had a question though and it is about Canon characters, would we be able to choose one to play with? besides the one mentioned or any other you would like to reserve for yourself as GM of course.

ShadowFox89

I'd rather not canon characters, I have plans for certain ones to show up.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Premier

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on March 26, 2017, 07:31:23 PM
Alright, so, I've not played much MHR before, as a warning. But it isn't a particularly complex system. Here's a take on Piccolo, to give you an idea of what to look for a starting character. I'd like to give some wiggle room for growth, getting up to blowing up planets at some point.

And since this is an AU game, there are some canon characters that you'll have run into/will run into: Bulma, Muten Roshi, Demon King Piccolo and Kami, Red Ribbon Army, Emperor Pilaf, and Monster Carrot.

Originally the idea for the game was going to be set in Dragon Ball, but I would have had to scale down the power even more to reach the heights that DBZ gets to.

I'm good with that! Fancying a Majin myself who was some of the pink gunk in Roshi's fabled Rice Cooker when they fished it out of the ocean. She's not very powerful as Majin go, mainly because she doesn't even know what she is but she's awful loyal and keen so that makes up for it right?

Likely attached to the gang because they're a fun bunch to be around and like to hit things. She's down with both of those things!

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Kathyan on March 26, 2017, 11:08:48 PM
What if it was a minor character? I was thinking
Ranfan

Ranfan is minor enough that she'd be fine.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

I'm thinking I'll try making some sort of cute witch girl, myself.  Magic is more of a support-based power in the Dragon Ball universe, so it should be a pretty good fit with the way MHR handles magic.

As for my character's race...  I'll have to give that a bit of thought, but I'm leaning towards something a bit exotic.  For example, while rare, vampires are actually a thing on Dragon Ball Earth.

Edit: ...And I've already gotten most of a character sheet worked up.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Witchy the Vampire Witch

Affiliations:
Solo      d6
Buddy      d8
Team      d10

Distinctions:
Easygoing
Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
Not-so-Wicked Witch of West City

Power Sets
VAMPIRE WITCH
- Enhanced Durability d8
- Flight d6
- Ki Sense d6
- Mystic Blast d6
- Mystic Resistance d8
- Mystic Senses d6
- Normal Stamina d6
- Shrinking d8
- Sorcery Adept d8
- Telepathy d8
SFX: Area Effect. When acting against multiple targets, for every additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Assorted Magical Junk. When you activate an opportunity to create a Cosmic or Mystic resource, step up that resource die. If another player gives you 1 PP, their hero may also use this resource.
SFX: Charms, Curses and Incantations. When using Sorcery Adept to create assets or complications, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: Mystic Healing. Add Sorcery Adept d8 to your dice pool when helping others recover Physical Stress. Spend 1 PP to recover your own or another's Physical Stress or step back your own or another's Physical Trauma by -1.
SFX: Mystic Shield. Spend 1 PP to add Enhanced Durability d8 to another character's dice pool before they roll a reaction. If that character takes Physical Stress, take d6 Mental Stress.
Limit: Growing Dread. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using a VAMPIRE WITCH power, but only 1s are excluded from being used for totals or effect dice.
Limit: Standard Vampire Weaknesses. Step up stress or complications caused by garlic, silver, holy water or religious iconography to gain 1 PP.

Specialties:
Cosmic Expert d8
Medical Rookie d6
Menace Rookie d6
Mystic Expert d8
Psych Rookie d6

Milestones:
Milestone Name
1 XP when you
3 XP when you
10 XP when you

Milestone Name
1 XP when you
3 XP when you
10 XP when you

Batman4560

I don't know the system or I'd be so down to throw in on this. Haven't seen a DBZ rp ever here.

Kathyan

Quote from: Batman4560 on April 01, 2017, 08:39:27 PM
I don't know the system or I'd be so down to throw in on this. Haven't seen a DBZ rp ever here.

I didn't know anything about it and I could use myself some help with it as I got the book from scribd but it really it is very intuitive so you might still be able to throw yourself in ^^