Ranma 1/2 Anime RP Group Game! (Interest Check)

Started by LunarSage, June 21, 2011, 02:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

I have straight up always wanted to do an RP based on Rumiko Takahashi's famous anime "Ranma 1/2".  What I want to know is whether or not prepping and running a group game in that setting would garner enough interest to be worth it.  The episodes are easy enough to find for free online if you haven't seen the series (Seasons 1-3 are really the only ones I would say are crucial.  Seasons 4-7 are just more whacky adventures having already introduced the main cast.)

What I want to know is...

Are people even remotely interested?  Note:  If I get enough interest I -will- run this game.

Have you seen the series and if not are you willing to check it out? 

If we do a group game, do we want it to be PG-13 or adult?  (Obviously all characters would be 16 years or older either way)

Would we want to play the roles of existing canon characters, make our own characters or have a mix of the two?  (The role of Ryoga Hibiki is the only one I can say with certainty will not be available, along with the likes of Happosai and Cologne)

Would we want to keep it freeform or have some sort of system?  (I won't do actual dice.  If we have a system it would be semi freeform.  Stats but no dice.)

Now for those who want to know the premise of the show...

"Ranma Saotome and his father, Genma, both practitioners of the Saotome school of anything-goes martial arts, fall into the cursed springs of the legendary training ground of Jusenkyo in mainland China during a training mission. Each spring holds a different curse for any who come in contact with its water, all of which involve who or what has drowned in the spring in the past - Ranma emerges from the spring a girl and Genma a panda, both now cursed to change forms each time they come in contact with hot and cold water.

At the end of their training mission, Genma decides to take up residence with his old training partner, Soun Tendo, owner of the Tendo dojo and head of the Tendo school of anything-goes martial arts, dragging a reluctant Ranma along with him. Soun and Genma discuss the arrangements they had made in the past involving Ranma becoming engaged to one of Soun's three daughters in order to combine the two schools and allow Ranma to inherit the Tendo dojo. It's informally decided that he is to be engaged to Akane Tendo, Soun's youngest daughter, and the two must put up with one another - and their engagement - as Ranma and his father settle into domestic life at the Tendo household."

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

LunarSage

Yikes.  I know Ranma is an older anime, but I thought it was pretty well-known.  :P

Here's the link to the Ranma Wiki as well as their entry on the Regular Wiki

Here is the link to the episodes for free to watch online.

Insidious Word

Probably well-known to the right crowd  :P, myself though being a huge fan I still rate it among my all time favourites having both the all anime and all the manga.  As for interest, it'll depend really on what its going to be based on?

I'm amendable to either of the age ratings, though I'd think an adult game would have to be handled quite well since the series did inspire erotica, and more for its wacky one-twos.

Canon or not.  I'd say mix the two, but not play the existing characters, leaving them as guest stars.  And as for a system... well unless you've got a good one, I'd say freeform (given how all-over-the-chart powers could be in it)

All in all though, this thread has my interest!  ;D

Callie Del Noire

BESM (or it's online cousin BBSW, aka Big Breast Small Waist) would be right for this. Of course I've seen and found the Ranma series amusing but I don't think I'll join in. Canon doesn't appeal that much to me. Of course some of the silliness I've seen (and tried to do) non-cannon has been fun in the past. (The Devil in Ms. Saotome on one site) :D

Josietta

I find Ranma to be entertaining and it could prove to be fun with non canon and canon characters. Like Insidious said, the canon characters would be better played as NPCs, IMHO.

A question I would like to know about and I'm sure that others would inquire on would be if the RP would be mostly social based or would there be battles involved as well? Where do you see the game standing? As a sandbox sort of game or would there be a plot involved?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

LunarSage

Hmmmm maybe I could devise my own loose "system" and make it a semi-freeform game (loose stats but no dice).  I'm not a huge fan of the BESM system, personally, though I do thank you for the idea, Callie.

Alright, but how to keep the large cast of canon characters to a minimum and not have them be a constant in the game?  I'd ask Josi to NPC the female canons when necessary but I'm not certain she wants to help run things.  Maybe the setting is in another city outside of Tokyo, but not Nerima (where the series takes place).  Would people like it set in Nerima?  (Furinkan High School, etc.)  Do you guys want to see canon characters make frequent or infrequent appearances? 

Does anyone else have an opinion about the adult aspect?

I was thinking the RP could be mostly sandboxy with the occasional battle (Ranma 1/2 wouldn't be the same without martial arts battles after all) and even some plot stuff.

Josietta

Quote from: LunarSage on June 23, 2011, 11:46:24 AM
Alright, but how to keep the large cast of canon characters to a minimum and not have them be a constant in the game?  I'd ask Josi to NPC the female canons when necessary but I'm not certain she wants to help run things.  Maybe the setting is in another city outside of Tokyo, but not Nerima (where the series takes place).  Would people like it set in Nerima?  (Furinkan High School, etc.)  Do you guys want to see canon characters make frequent or infrequent appearances? 

Does anyone else have an opinion about the adult aspect?

I would like to have some decent interaction from the canon characters, like maybe the canons are older and are trainers now? I'd love to see my character train in a dojo with like Ryoga or Ranma.

And yeah.. I'm not so sure i'd do the female canon cast justice by trying to NPC them, besides I have enough on my plate as is. Just playing is fine by me.

As far as setting goes, I'm okay with the basic city as it would make it easier to interact with NPCs like Dr Tofu.  Also... training at the The Tendo Dojo would be cool.

With the adult aspect.. heck yeah lets put some of that in there! Heck I'd even be willing to play a female who had a similar affliction as Ranma but turns into a boy. ;D

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

LunarSage

Hookay, I've devised a system for the game.  Hopefully it won't be flawed or anything.  I never claimed to be a game designer... for semi freeform (no dice) though, it should work ok.  Let me know what you all think.

Name: 

Hair: 

Eyes: 

Jusenkyo Curse (If Any): 

Martial Arts Style:  (The more outrageous and/or silly the better!)

Element or Elements Attuned to:  (Generally one, but sometimes two.)

Special Technique (Start with one.  Extra techniques to start cost 3 flaw/background points.  Note:  All female characters get the Anime Slap "technique" for free.): 

ATTRIBUTES:  (1-6... 21 points to spend at creation and every attribute -must- have at least one on it.  Extra points to start cost 2 flaw/background points.  1 is underdeveloped, 2 is average, 3-4 is above average and 5-6 is exceptional) 

Strength:  (Physical Strength)

Speed:  (Physical Speed)

Durability:  (How much punishment one can take)

Wisdom:  (How smart and wise a character is)

Knack:  (How easily a character can learn special techniques)

Charm:  (Your character's force of charisma)

Martial Art Skill:  (Can go up to x3... x4 for exceptionally powerful NPCs)

Special Training: (*Examples:  Strength, Speed, Toughness, Ki Training, Wealth, Weapons, Pure Heart.  All these can go up to x3.  Note:  ALL characters get Jump x1 for free.  This is an anime after all.)

Flaw:  (A flaw give bonus creation points... up to 5 extra points.  Note that not all Jusenkyo curses are equal.  Some are worth more points than others.)

*Special Training allows a character to do things that normal attributes would normally not allow.  To get a Special Training rating of x1, you need to have the corresponding attribute at 5 or higher.  For x2 or higher, a 6 is required in that attribute.  Special Training costs 3 flaw/background points.

Strength: (Strength) 

Speed:  (Speed) 

Toughness (Durability) 

Ki Training (Knack)  Note:  Any special technique that actively channels ki into physical energy requires this Training.  The better your rating in this training, the more powerful your ki (and battle aura) is. 

Wealth (No prerequisite attribute)

Weapons (Strength or Speed)

Pure Heart (No prerequisite attribute)

Background Points:  Think of these as free points to help round out your character concept.  Everyone gets 10 extra background points.

Josietta

Okay I'm a little lost here and i'm probably making it more difficult than it seems.   The points.. You get 21 total to spend on everything?   and then an extra 7 for background? and flaws give up to 5 more? for a total of 26 possible total and 7 extra more for backgrounds?

What i'm the most lost on is the x3 sort of stuff.

Quote from: LunarSage on June 26, 2011, 11:19:57 AM

Martial Art Skill:  (Can go up to x3... x4 for exceptionally powerful NPCs)

Special Training: (*Examples:  Strength, Speed, Toughness, Ki Training, Wealth, Weapons, Pure Heart.  All these can go up to x3.  Note:  ALL characters get Jump x1 for free.  This is an anime after all.)

Does this mean you put 3 points for a x3 aspect?

Also..

Special Technique (Start with one.  Extra techniques to start cost 3 flaw/background points.  Note:  All female characters get the Anime Slap "technique" for free.):

ATTRIBUTES:  (1-6... 21 points to spend at creation and every attribute -must- have at least one on it.  Extra points to start cost 2 flaw/background points.  1 is underdeveloped, 2 is average, 3-4 is above average and 5-6 is exceptional) 

does this mean after your 21 pts you can then add extra but you have to use flaw points or your 7 extra background points?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

LunarSage

Quote from: Josietta on June 26, 2011, 11:35:28 AM
Okay I'm a little lost here and i'm probably making it more difficult than it seems.   The points.. You get 21 total to spend on everything?   and then an extra 7 for background? and flaws give up to 5 more? for a total of 26 possible total and 7 extra more for backgrounds?

What i'm the most lost on is the x3 sort of stuff.

Does this mean you put 3 points for a x3 aspect?

Also..

does this mean after your 21 pts you can then add extra but you have to use flaw points or your 7 extra background points?

Ok, here's how it works...

You get 21 points for Attributes.

You get one special technique.

You get no Special Training or additional special techniques unless you spend background/flaw points on them. 

You get 7 background points.  If you take a flaw you can get up to 5 more BG points for a total ranging from 7 to 12 points.  These are what you use to spend on Special Training and additional Special techniques.

To use BG points to buy an additional attribute point is a cost of 2.

To use BG points to buy an additional special technique or a rank in special training costs 3 each.

So getting Strength x2, for example would cost 6 BG points and require you to have a base Strength attribute of 6.

Josietta

ahh okay.. so is anyone else still interested?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Insidious Word

Sure, sounds good.  I'll post mine as soon as it's ready  ;D

LunarSage

Character Sheet:

[b]Name:[/b] 

[b]Age:[/b] 

[b]Gender:[/b] 

[b]Hair:[/b] 

[b]Eyes:[/b] 

[b]Description:[/b] 

[b]Jusenkyo Curse (If Any):[/b] 

[b]Martial Arts Style:[/b] 

[b]Element or Elements Attuned to:[/b] 

[b]Special Technique:[/b] 

[b]ATTRIBUTES:[/b] 

[b]Strength:[/b] 

[b]Speed:[/b] 

[b]Durability:[/b] 

[b]Wisdom:[/b] 

[b]Knack:[/b] 

[b]Charm:[/b] 

[b]Martial Art Skill:[/b] 

[b]Special Training:[/b]

[b]Flaw:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

LunarSage

Sorry, I forgot to mention... Martial Arts x1 everyone gets for free.  Characters like Mousse, Akane and Kuno have this at x1 with Shampoo and Ukyo having x2 and folks ,like Ranma and Ryoga with x3.  Martial Arts ranks above x1 cost 3 BG points each.

As far as how many points a flaw is worth, just ask and I'll assign the points based on how severe the flaw(s) is/are in my view.  Example:  Ryoga's flaws (turns into a little black pig that's near useless in combat and no sense of direction) are a total of 5 points.

Elements are just there for flavor and in case it's ever relevant for plot stuff.  It can be any of the basic four or the Eastern elements.  Mousse would definitely be Metal aligned, for instance.

Wealth goes from 0 (Ranma's level) all the way to x3 (Kuno's level... tons of money, a large family estate, etc)

Pure Heart may come into effect vs demons and other forces of corruption.  Characters of pure heart with be resistant to certain abilities.  A female's Anime Slap will not generally affect a male with Pure Heart, for example.

Also, I think I'm going to raise the BG points at character creation to 10.  It's a learning process, after all.

LunarSage

Non Canon PC that I just made for the game:

Name:  Shinji Yamagawa

Hair:  Black

Eyes:  Dark Blue

Description:  Almost always wears the Furinkan High School boys' school uniform.

Jusenkyo Curse (If Any):  Spring of Drowned Raven

Martial Arts Style:  Technically the Saotome Anything Goes style, though he is mostly self taught.

Element or Elements Attuned to:  Wind

Special Technique:  Kazesutoraiku or "Wind Strike".  By channeling his ki and striking forth at extremely high speeds, he is able to strike opponents from a distance as if he were standing right next to them.  With concentration, he can even send forth nearly invisible "wind blades", thin sheets of compressed air that are capable of cutting.  As with most "lethal" effects in the Ranma-verse, the blades are usually used on objects as opposed to living targets.

ATTRIBUTES: 

Strength:  4

Speed:  6

Durability:  3

Wisdom:  3

Knack:  3

Charm:  2

Martial Art Skill:  Martial Arts x2

Special Training: Speed x3, Ki Training x1, Jump x1

Flaw: Jusenkyo Curse (Drowned Raven), Bad Luck

History:  Shinji was an infant when his father, on his death bed promised a passing travelling martial artist named Genma Saotome his world renowned family Ramen recipe for swearing to take his only son as his own and train him in the ways of martial arts.  The deal was made and after Genma took the two infants (Shinji and his own son Ranma) with him, Shinji's father could finally rest, content that his son was in good hands.  Unfortunately, as soon as he was able, Genma promptly dropped Shinji off at a monastary, leaving him to be raised by the monks with a note that said his name and nothing else.  Shinji grew up ignorant of what had transpired, training as a monk on the moutainous peaks until one day, a traveller arrived when Shinji was 14.  Somehow he knew of the deal between his father and Genma... and knew that it had been broken.  Shinji was outraged and vowed to track Genma down to the ends of the Earth.  He left the monastery and tracked Genma and his son all the way to the Jusenkyo training grounds in China.  For weeks he watched from the shadows and prepared to strike.  Finally he found Genma alone.  He was about to confront him when a passing bird hit him from above with it's droppings... which caused him to stumble back and fall into one of the many springs.  Thus was he cursed to become a raven whenever he was splashed with cold water.  Ashamed and very unlucky, he remained in raven form as Genma and Ranma left... watching their styles and techniques, training himself as best as he could in the martial arts style that should have been taught to him as a Saotome.  Finally he discovered where they were heading next.... Nerima, Japan.  He would train himself and train himself hard in the meantime.  Another month would pass before he considered himself ready to travel to Genma again and finally face his "father".  Is Nerima ready for Shinji?  Only time will tell.

Josietta

I'll work on a sheet. You wanna start up an OOC thread so we can leave this open for interest sorts of stuff?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

LunarSage

OOC thread created.

Hopefully we'll start getting a few others who want to make some characters soon.

Insidious Word

Non-canon character

Name: Gentatsu Makashima
Hair: Shoulder-Length Wild Black
Eyes: Purple
Description: Athletic and lithe, he is usually wearing the white robe-like vestments of his monastery.

Martial Arts Style: Eight-Heavens Radiant Dragon-Fist Style
Element: Lightning
Special Technique:
      Ryuhasu-Raireiki (Dragon Lotus Lightning Aura) - Basic: Gentatsu's basic ability, he uses Ryuhasu-Raireiki to enhance his body to greater levels by electrifying it for a limited time.  Whilst in this state, his strikes have a disorientating effect on those who are hit by it, due the added shock of electricity he concentrates in his fist.
      Shinkuu-Raiken (Empty/Vacuum Lightning Fist) - Advanced: If his Ryuhasu-Raireiki doesn't make him fast enough, Gentatsu resorts to this technique that allows him to use buffeting blows and his near misses still hit because of the vacuum created by the sheer speed of his strikes - but using it drastically reduces the time he can use his basic ability as well as draining his stamina.

Attributes:
Strength 4
Speed 5
Durability 2
Wisdom 2
Knack 5
Charm 3

Martial Arts Skill: Martial Arts x3

Special Training: Jump x1, Special Technique (Shinku-Raiken), Ki Training x2

Flaws: Illiterate, Human Lightning-Rod

History: Gentatsu was formerly a disciple at Eight-Heavens Radiant Dragon school monastery and had set out for his final rite of cleansing where he would travel to the most remote parts of Japan for enlightenment.  It was whilst he was so engaged on this last part of his journey that he met a diminutive old man, who had apparently become lost in the woods.  Claiming to be a martial artist of no small skill, he challenged Gentatsu for a share of half his rations if he won a fight.  Little to say Gentatsu lost to Happosai, though this was not the breaking point for the young aspiring martial artist.  Faced with depreciating drunken comments about his school and the consumption of all his rations, Gentatsu bit his pride, bowed down and apologised for being visibly angry before the old man who was the rightful victor, but by the time he had raised his head Happosai was gone, along with all his belongings - including the relic his teacher had given him for safe keeping.  Realising that unless he got it back, he would never be allowed back into his school, Gentatsu climbed to the highest point of the land to curse the thief and was promptly struck down by lightning whilst in the middle of his tirade.  The experience, however, did give the young disciple resolve and 'enlightened' him on how he could improve his martial arts further, though it has likewise proven to be somewhat of a bane.  Having followed the thief for some time now, he has finally arrived in Nerima, Tokyo...

DarkRose15

I'm definitely interested, but I need some time to come up with a character. I LOVE Ranma 1/2, I'm almost done collecting the whole series. All I have left is season 7, and just in case anyone wants to know, my favorite character is Happosai ^_^!
Den of DarkRose: Ideas & Completed Games
Apologies & Absences *Updated 10/4/16*

Friends help you move; Real friends help you move the body.
Carl: Shh....do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness!
Paul: That's the sound of people drowning Carl!
Carl: That...is what forgiveness sounds like! Screaming then silence!

Insidious Word

Lol! Welcome to the group DarkRose15.  Good ol' Happosai... I used to remember drinking sake with friends whilst watching Ranma 1/2 and promised to build a shrine to Hopposai.  Never got around to it, but it makes for a good memory non-the-less!

DarkRose15

I cosplayed as Akane Tendo once, I've always been curious to try and pull off Shampoo or Girl-type Ranma. And yes, they are indeed good memories :) So has everyone opted to mix new characters with canon?

Insidious Word

It would appear to be so, though LunarSage will give the final say, though I believe the chance to play them as NPCs is up for grabs - they're the guest stars who are interacted with.  Not sure what time frame we're playing in yet though.

DarkRose15

Good point. As much as I'd like to play canon I think I'd have just as much fun playing a newer character (and have an excuse to create another exotic lake to have fallen in :) )

LunarSage

Welcome, DarkRose15!  :-)

Time frame I'm thinking around the end of season 4.  All of the base characters have been intro'd (including Ukyo and Principle Kuno) and Ranma knows the Hiryu Shoten Ha but not the Shishi Hokodan technique. 

As far as playing canons go, let me know who you'd like to play and I'll make a decision from there.  The main problem with the female canons is that canonically most of them are obsessed with Ranma.  Most of the males are likewise obsessed with Akane.  I don't want the game to be all about Ranma, though he will be an important NPC. 

DarkRose15

Well, I wanted to come up with my own character over canon because like you said, the women all want Ranma and the men all want Akane. Perhaps I can make a character similar to Shampoo but not exactly the same.