Private Messages Not Showing in Emails

Started by Nessy, February 25, 2014, 12:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessy

I thought this happened once before, so apologies for not remembering what i did. before I could see the body of the PM in the e-mail. Now all I get is:

QuoteThe message they sent you was:

Reply to this Personal Message here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/(etc.)

Which is blankly no preview or message and a click here to see it.

Please help?

Thank you,
Nessy
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

The Dark Raven

Mine does that depending on the content or length of the PM sent.  If it's long or has pics, I don't get the message.  If it is short, I get the message in the preview notification in email.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Check the contents of the PM from Elliquiy.  I've seen this happen when the first character of the email is a non-standard character, such as 'SmartQuotes'.  These characters often show up when someone copy/pastes the content from something like a word processing program (e.g. MSWord or OpenOffice Writer).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on February 25, 2014, 01:31:33 AM
Check the contents of the PM from Elliquiy.  I've seen this happen when the first character of the email is a non-standard character, such as 'SmartQuotes'.  These characters often show up when someone copy/pastes the content from something like a word processing program (e.g. MSWord or OpenOffice Writer).

He just confirmed he copies and past from Word I believe, and now that I look back, most of the other PMs are fine. I copy and past from Word too, sometimes, but I am not sure my whole message is ever a copy paste. Weird.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Oniya

It'll only happen when the character that starts the 'missing' part of the PM (this is sometimes the whole PM) is something peculiar to the word processor - i.e., you can't get it when you type in the email/PM form itself.  The most common culprit is a 'curly quote', although some other characters can cause it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Martee

I have the same issue and it doesn't seem to be consistent.  To be fair, I have no idea if some people are copy-pasting their messages from elsewhere, but it happens with both short and long messages, and I haven't noticed any obvious odd characters being used. Bit of a bummer though - sounds like there's no real fix.  :-\

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Geraint

In my experience it's not just word processor characters on the writer's part, but also virtually every quoted response where the quote is on top.  I believe that's because the system here inserts a non-standard character at the start of each quote. (a very large curved left quotation mark). 

Quote from: Oniya on February 25, 2014, 02:23:38 AM
It'll only happen when the character that starts the 'missing' part of the PM (this is sometimes the whole PM) is something peculiar to the word processor - i.e., you can't get it when you type in the email/PM form itself.  The most common culprit is a 'curly quote', although some other characters can cause it.

Nessy

Yeah I've seen this off and on a few times, but I have no idea if people are always copying and pasting when that happens. I only know this last case he says he is. It' just frustrating. I don't read the board directly during work, but I sometimes check email.
Misc. Long Term Ideas