[Shadowlight] D&D 5E Twin Campaigns - Opposing Parties - (Closed)

Started by Wispyr, January 29, 2017, 03:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elysian Radiance

Quote from: Wispyr on January 31, 2017, 02:14:48 AM
I am home! That said, I spent the evening playing a peculiar black dragon who was busy convincing a party that signing the arcane magic death contract with him was totally in their best interest. Maybe giving them some inclination that there may or may not be a cult trying to blot out the sun... Oh yea and agreeing, under the terms of the contract, that if they don't come hunt him that he'll totally help them kill his dad who is so super bad.

So my brain is a taaaad bit fried. I'll try to work through some PMs but they'll probably be waiting until tomorrow evening when work slows down and I am trapped with nothing to do!

Also there does seem to be a ton of interest. I'm looking into what maybe (absolutely no promises) a 3rd group running around might look like. Not sure if it's something I can do. Not sure what it'd involve. I'll give more thoughts on this should I gain any.
Well, it was sign the contract or become dinner for Lisgund, and I think I speak for the other three when I say signing the contract was the lesser of two evils! He's a dick though, what with calling my Nym a devil's daughter. Next time he'll get no more of her manners, no sir. She'll call him an oversized, temperamental lizard!
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Countdown0

Quote from: Dominique on January 31, 2017, 03:24:08 AM
You just made my day with that quote ;D

Alternatively they could be the pink hats, and we could implement the unicorn mount idea after all!

I aim to please. Most of the time, at least.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Wispyr

PM List - Roughly in order of incoming responses.
Arcannyx
RedPhoenix
Hobbes1226
Rummy Tum Tum
Kathyan (Can you please resubmit both of your sheets to me in two separate PMs if you see this please)
Zaer Darkwail
Blythe
greenknight
shmone else
Countdown0
Dominique
MiramMirror
Phaia
ZameRagues

If you have no yet submitted a concept, please make sure that when you do you use the proper subject line, as outlined in the rules section of this thread. I tend to ignore sheets that are improperly submitted. If you have submitted one and have done it wrong, shame on you. You've hurt my feelings. :(

Locations to be detailed

Locations
Aenowa:
Blackfrost Temple:
Cyliac:
Eodin:
Ilunar:
Induran:
Kazdora:
Ketamon:
Mendow:
Mov'lakan:
Mov'narad:
Mov'samar:
Mount Kidaraan:
Pholdar:
Port Candur:
Port Feor:
Port Gindir:
Port Lahu:
Rubanast: Rubanast, in the many years that it has stood, has been called many names: The Dark Tower, Arcanists Watch, The Aetherium, and many more; however Rubanast has always been its proper name. The origins of the tower are mostly lost to time, though some say that the Ki'oal of Annifos could hold knowledge of some of those secrets. The impressive tower is located deep within the Deadwood, near the base of the Cinderspire Seal where The Wailing Peaks meet The Cindercoil. In its time it has served as a school to those talented enough with the arcane to be invited in, and as a personal sanctum for whatever master claimed it as their own at the time. Most recently it was the private sanctuary of the powerful wizard Eregar Wurian, who is said to have been studying the truth of the ley lines pulse deep beneath Kiur's surface. It was during these studies, nearly eighty years ago, that the Asheglade was ultimately turned into the fractured arcane badlands now known as Deadwood. Since this time the land has proven to be too perilous for many to traverse, and the tower itself is said to be encased by a powerful arcane barrier that prevents entry - but these tales can not be verified.
Ruins of Ghethis:
Senorik:
Shandale:
Tennamor:
Tethiel:
Tya's Watch:
Vahla:

If there's anything not included there you have questions about, please inquire!

Elysian Radiance

Yeah, there is one thing... where's my pirate class I asked? :P
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Cataclysmic Archangel

So I see a lot of people asking 'do we have this caster' questions... but I'm also seeing a lot of people mentioning a lot of classes I've never heard of (Protector?)  I'm kind of a 5E newb, I do my best work in 3.5.  So I ask my own variation of the question...

Do the white hats have any 'tanks' yet?  I've created a melee character, but as anyone in WoW knows, there's a significant difference between a 2hander and a sword/board.  Almost character defining, if you will. :p

AndyZ

Quote from: Arcannyx on January 31, 2017, 05:08:22 AM
So I see a lot of people asking 'do we have this caster' questions... but I'm also seeing a lot of people mentioning a lot of classes I've never heard of (Protector?)  I'm kind of a 5E newb, I do my best work in 3.5.  So I ask my own variation of the question...

Do the white hats have any 'tanks' yet?  I've created a melee character, but as anyone in WoW knows, there's a significant difference between a 2hander and a sword/board.  Almost character defining, if you will. :p

In D&D, the differences between 2h and s/b aren't as pronounced as they are in WoW.

While 2h generally means you do 2d6 or 1d12 damage, shields give +2 AC and maybe a d8 of damage.  The +2 AC means 10% of the time on roughly equal enemies, more on enemies who are less powerful than you, and less on enemies who are more powerful than you.

With Fighting Styles, 2h does more damage on average, but the shield helps protect the other characters in your party.  That means that to some degree, the shield Fighting Style gives aggro because you can block enemies from hitting your party members as much, but most characters anywhere near the front lines are well equipped to take at least a hit or two.

Since everyone on the White Hat team is capable of wearing heavy armor except the monk, and the monk is also a front-line fighter, I wouldn't suggest you have to worry about a proper tank.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Cataclysmic Archangel

You read WAY too far into that statement.

I'm well aware of how the systems work.  However, it really is both a RP concept and a mechanical one.

For instance, there IS tank options for Paladins, such as throwing around (can't remember the name) the 'taunt' spell at level 1, or with the Oath of the Crown, using a Channel effect to do the same thing.  That's without even taking fighting style into account.

Whereas if I wanted to make an 'aggressive' character, his personality would change.  You don't rush in to defend someone with a greatsword, you hide behind your wall of iron.  Going an offensive route would change my Oath, my fighting style, my very rp style to the character concept.  It can work both ways, which is really why I was curious.

The last time I tried to play this guy, he was a tank.  At level 1 he was brought from 12 to 1hp in the first fight.  But he was a tank, and he stood his ground rather than using his LoH, because there was a wounded NPC nearby and he needed to save that healing for that man, rather than himself.  Sadly after that encounter the game fizzled out, so that's why I'm trying him again.

It's a RP thing much more than anything else.

I was pretty sure someone mentioned a bard/sorcerer?  Or was that black hat also? 

Phaia

Quote from: AndyZ on January 31, 2017, 05:18:26 AM
Since everyone on the White Hat team is capable of wearing heavy armor except the monk, and the monk is also a front-line fighter, I wouldn't suggest you have to worry about a proper tank.

Not everyone will be able to wear heavy armor. My character if approved can only wear light. But then she should have a high stealth, sneak attack and cunning action. Not to mention magic. So we are good when it comes to tanky people!

Phaia

Cataclysmic Archangel

Right.  There was an arcane trickster, there was a barbarian, there was a monk, and I thought a bard/sorc... then there were a bunch of paladins and clerics?

Zaer Darkwail

Check the 5th post on this thread to see list of people with race/class combinations and which side their in (based on PM's send out to GM).

AndyZ

Quote from: Phaia on January 31, 2017, 07:19:38 AM
Not everyone will be able to wear heavy armor. My character if approved can only wear light. But then she should have a high stealth, sneak attack and cunning action. Not to mention magic. So we are good when it comes to tanky people!

Phaia

Well, you weren't listed yet...

My point about not requiring a sword-and-boarder stands, though.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Zaer Darkwail

Also you can be 'guarding' other party members with polearm or even 2h weapons like greataxe if you pick just a sentinel feat (reduces foe's speed to 0 with oppoturnity attack, creatures provoke AoO even when they disengage and if someone attacks fellow party member you get attack them as reaction).

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 31, 2017, 07:38:40 AM
Also you can be 'guarding' other party members with polearm or even 2h weapons like greataxe if you pick just a sentinel feat (reduces foe's speed to 0 with oppoturnity attack, creatures provoke AoO even when they disengage and if someone attacks fellow party member you get attack them as reaction).

Because of multi-classing, I'm a long way from any feats, as I haven't reached any of the stat upgrade tiers.

Though I'm going to just drop the question, because everyone's focusing a bit more on how to build the character stats (or not build it).  I was really asking because of concept and personality.

Lockepick

I'm going to withdraw my interest -- as much as I love the idea and as much as I love Wispyr as a GM -- There seems to be a lot of interest, and I'm having trouble hammering down a concept that I'm really excited to play. Every time I have an idea, I'm having trouble making it mechanically satisfying as well.

Best of luck to everybody!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Hobbes1266

I don't know a lot of the technical stuff and minmaxing for 5th edition  (not that I'm interested in minmaxing) I own the ph but I haven't played it before, it doesn't seem way too different from 3.5 though.

Cataclysmic Archangel

It's not, really.  It was mostly a lot of the options that I'm hearing that I don't recognize.  I have (and have even DM'd) core 5E before.  I actually miss the 3.5 feats, and the ability to get them regardless of the stat increases at 4th level.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Arcannyx on January 31, 2017, 10:27:50 AM
It's not, really.  It was mostly a lot of the options that I'm hearing that I don't recognize.  I have (and have even DM'd) core 5E before.  I actually miss the 3.5 feats, and the ability to get them regardless of the stat increases at 4th level.

Considering in this edition having +2 stat item is much harder to get (or get it via a spell) so stat increase is important to all classes. However many feats also boost stats and overall all feats are meaningful and strong someway.

Anyways on tank in white hats; we goth 3 paladins in there (a one which is my concept but I applied also to black hats with my half-orc figther). If my bard/paladin gets accepted he definately go 'shield and board' approach.

Dominique

I'll admit I am pretty curious about the current balance of classes on either side! And oh, I've not played DnD in so long that I'm panicking a little at all the stats that are being mentioned ;D

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 31, 2017, 10:41:53 AM
Anyways on tank in white hats; we goth 3 paladins in there (a one which is my concept but I applied also to black hats with my half-orc figther). If my bard/paladin gets accepted he definately go 'shield and board' approach.

Thanks.  My character can go with two fairly distinct branches that both fit his background and personality; Oath of Vengeance with a more aggressive 'hunter' feeling with some sort of offensive fighting style, and Oath of the Crown as some sort of dedicated tank.  It will tweak his personality as well as the stat stuff.

Zaer Darkwail

My own paladin would be either Oath of Ancients or Oath of Rigtheousness.

Wispyr

Quote from: Lockepick on January 31, 2017, 07:49:56 AM
I'm going to withdraw my interest -- as much as I love the idea and as much as I love Wispyr as a GM -- There seems to be a lot of interest, and I'm having trouble hammering down a concept that I'm really excited to play. Every time I have an idea, I'm having trouble making it mechanically satisfying as well.

Best of luck to everybody!
Awww, thank you!

Sorry to see you go, but thank you for the interest! Best of luck elsewhere!

As for everyone else. Ill have the tracker updated this afternoon, and answer somequestions, work on PMs and what not as the day allows (should be a lot)

ZameRagues

Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Phaia

Quote from: Dominique on January 31, 2017, 10:44:59 AM
I'll admit I am pretty curious about the current balance of classes on either side! And oh, I've not played DnD in so long that I'm panicking a little at all the stats that are being mentioned ;D

Don't panic!! I think 5e is the smoothest, easiest to handle, D&D system I have seen. and I played AD&D way back when I was in elementary school! I love the some of the new blaster cantrips since they can make a caster effective even when they are out of their spell slots. As for stats they are the same as they used to be. attributes and classes just changes in how they work and in how high your attributes can go!

There are plenty here that really know the system so do not be afraid to ask!

Phaia

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Phaia on January 31, 2017, 12:38:03 PM
Don't panic!! I think 5e is the smoothest, easiest to handle, D&D system I have seen. and I played AD&D way back when I was in elementary school! I love the some of the new blaster cantrips since they can make a caster effective even when they are out of their spell slots. As for stats they are the same as they used to be. attributes and classes just changes in how they work and in how high your attributes can go!

Ironically, I love 3.5 for all the combinations; I'm out of my depth simply because I don't know all the combinations here.  May have a folder on my computer with like 35 different 3.5 books, and a shelf full of physical books.  I have a folder full of Warhammer stuff for the same for that game.  But 5e?  Just the core three books on my comp.

Still better than 4E, which reminded me of an mmorpg on paper.

CeruleanSerenity

To back up what others have said, fifth edition is a very easy system to use. If you have any experience with past editions, you shouldn't find it hard to pick up - it looks and plays very similar to 3.5, but there are a lot of small changes that (in my opinion) add up to make it much more streamlined and friendly to new players. In particular, the amount of material currently available is much smaller than any previous edition, and there's no need to plan out your entire build in advance like the last two versions. You can do quite well by just picking the class (and subtype, usually chosen at level 3) you want to play and focusing on your primary Ability Score.

If you need any help, I'll be happy to offer it (assuming nobody beats me to it... which is looking likely).