Weight Mods

Started by Machete, June 10, 2012, 06:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machete

I'm importing the Kenshalan race into Dungeons & Dragons.  Being naturally capable of flight, they have hollow bones and weigh twenty-five percent less than Humans, who are overweight at base height as it stands.  ON top of that, the base male is five inches taller than Humans with the base female eight inches taller than a human.  The base male Kenshalan has a weight of ninety-seven pounds and a body mass index (bmi) of  seventeen point two with the base female's weight eighty-seven pounds and bmi at seventeen, which isn't in the wiki entry.  The only way I can think of to keep height and weight proportional with a reasonable number of dice is using d20s.

Current mods and guideline based on height
Please note that a male's base height is 5'3" and a female's is 5' with both being modified by two d10s.

Minimum height (+d20 lb): 5’5” male 104 - 117 pounds; 5’2” female 93 - 107 pounds
Average height (+(3d20) lb): 6’1” male 131 - 152 pounds; 5’10” female 119 - 138 pounds
Maximum height (+(5d20) lb.(: 6’11” male 170 - 196 pounds; 6’8” female 155 - 180 pounds

Should I add another d20 to the mods to lower the number that has to show up on it/them for an acceptable weight?

AndyZ

I'm guessing that Kenshalans are a custom race; don't think I've ever heard of them.

If you're using d20s, though, you're apt to have a HUGE difference between the tallest and the shortest of the race.  It's as easy to roll a 1 as it is a 20, whereas with systems like 2d10, you're more apt to roll an 11 than anything else, with various extremes being less common.

If you need a huge number like 3d20, you're going to somewhat gravitate towards 31.5, but not nearly as much as if you used 6d10, for example.

I would ask: do you actually want there to be this gigantic variance?  What's the average that you'd want to have, and what would be the extremes of this number?

If I remember correctly, for 3rd edition D&D, you end up multiplying the extra inches of height to another roll to determine weight.  I may be wrong on this, though.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Machete

Yes, Kenshalans are a custom race, although I need to update the wiki entry.  The genesis of the d220-based wight mods was me multiplying the weight, rather than additional inches, by the mods and getting weights like 340 pounds.  Thus, I'll redo the mods and, probably, standardize them to x (2d4) pounds.