DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Ooh!  Oh oh oh! 

Does Anyone know a way I could play a Storm Giant/PAladin in this story? 

A normal storm giant is 17 hit dice, so it wouldn't work by defualt.  But maybe if she was a teenager or somethign? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Sorry, but no :P. We do not nerf HD with PC chars (albeit my cohort was nerfed but she came from 3.0 source and was not very powerful and had no HD related things either). But overall why go storm giant in first place?

Muse

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 10, 2016, 07:55:03 AM
Sorry, but no :P. We do not nerf HD with PC chars (albeit my cohort was nerfed but she came from 3.0 source and was not very powerful and had no HD related things either). But overall why go storm giant in first place?

Hm? 

I've just wanted a chance to play Erised the Cloud Walker for a long time.  :P 

Anyways, shall I build a nymph girl for you?  Do you want some aplciation beofre I do? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Atarn

Hmm, would a Storm Giant or Titan be workable in a similar way that dragons were?
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Zaer Darkwail

Well, only application process is really to get charsheet done :P. It's major accomplishment after all. Anycase I do not know Erised the Cloud Walker reference, only what comes to mind is Erised mirror from Harry Potter.

Quote from: Atarn on January 10, 2016, 08:14:08 AM
Hmm, would a Storm Giant or Titan be workable in a similar way that dragons were?

Hmmm, titan probably. Storm Giant does not have that much stuff go for them. I could agree on nerfing storm giant HD so that it works like temporal discount (paid with level ups in future to fill remaining missing HD) to play 'younger' storm giant. So could play paragon stormgiant who is a gestalt (and has no other templates and such).

Atarn

*Considers*THere was interest in playing a drgaon from someone else. So right now I'm pending between the Titan or an Urskan. ((Monster Manual 3))
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

TheGlyphstone

A custom-built Monster Racial Class would be the best way to go about something like a Storm Giant or a Titan, me thinks.

Someone on the MinMax boards made a Titan racial progression here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=s988hh1r3jdjd5kuj0jhmqa092&topic=8550.0
Storm Giant is here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=s988hh1r3jdjd5kuj0jhmqa092&topic=5940.0

The rest of them are Here:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=270.0

PhantomPistoleer

Could you clarify something:

Is it possible to use the monster classes in Savage Species?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 10, 2016, 10:56:40 AM
Is it possible to use the monster classes in Savage Species?

No, and thus reason why we do not use custom-build monster racial class progression stuff either. As mentioned I could allow storm giant (after checking it out) with -4 less HD with terms that player spends next four level ups (in monster side) just paying for that HD difference.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 10, 2016, 10:58:01 AM
No, and thus reason why we do not use custom-build monster racial class progression stuff either. As mentioned I could allow storm giant (after checking it out) with -4 less HD with terms that player spends next four level ups (in monster side) just paying for that HD difference.

Is it possible to use the prestige classes from Savage Species?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Zaer Darkwail

You can use prestige classes from savage species. You can use more monster themed PrC's at monster side progession.

PhantomPistoleer

So let's say that I pick Doppelganger.  Doppelganger comes at an 8 ECL because he's 4-LA and 4-HD.  Is this right? 

Second, if the Doppelganger gets two racial feats on account of his HD, does that mean that these are in addition to regular progression feats, or are these just the progression feats?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

DomJoe

Man, I forgot just how frustrating it is to work with 3.5e. The extra rules aren't helping either.

All I wanted was a dude who could jump high to use the Dragoon Lancer, Variant class with (and yes, I know I would still need magic to go along with it). Monster would have probably been an Ogre Magi for that Str score, but other than that, I haven't figured out much...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 10, 2016, 01:18:53 PM
So let's say that I pick Doppelganger.  Doppelganger comes at an 8 ECL because he's 4-LA and 4-HD.  Is this right? 

Second, if the Doppelganger gets two racial feats on account of his HD, does that mean that these are in addition to regular progression feats, or are these just the progression feats?

Those are regular progression feats, gained from his HD like any other feats gained from HD (though note we are using PF profession for feats, every odd level).

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 10, 2016, 02:04:08 PM
Those are regular progression feats, gained from his HD like any other feats gained from HD (though note we are using PF profession for feats, every odd level).

That's correct, regular progression feats but we get feat at every odd level. Doppleganger would be CR 3 but have 4 HD, so they would take 4 HD slot (we use either CR or HD whichever is higher really as often CR equals the HD of creature). So with doppleganger you take 4 levels in monster side and thus need 9 more levels filled with inherited and gained template (or take monster specific PrC's as I recall magic of faerun had one; cabinet trickster which  is 3 level PrC for doppleganger while 5 levels for changeling or mindspy for 5 levels from complete warrior).

Quote from: DomJoe on January 10, 2016, 01:45:48 PM
All I wanted was a dude who could jump high to use the Dragoon Lancer, Variant class with (and yes, I know I would still need magic to go along with it). Monster would have probably been an Ogre Magi for that Str score, but other than that, I haven't figured out much...

Well, you would need approval for any homebrew classes what you use but I approve the dragoon lancer on that link. Anycase you could take half-dragon template (fits for dragoon theme and gives lots more Str) as inherited template. With that you have taken 11 monster levels. So you can take +2 LA template, like half-vampire perhaps? Bit more Str and some thematic vampire powers (being offspring of vampiric dragon who trained you to become dark knight for it? Or vampiric influences come from touch of encounter with one or result of powerful necromancy or cursed artifact).

Kunoichi

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 10, 2016, 01:18:53 PM

Some minor changes have been made to the character creation rules since that first recruitment thread was put up.  For your base monster, you can use either CR or HD to calculate ECL, whichever is higher, while you still have to use LA for templates unless a template that you want to use doesn't have a listed LA, at which point you use CR.  So, for the CR 3 Doppelganger, you use those 4 HD for your ECL, leaving you with up to +9 LA that you could use to pick up one acquired and one inherited template.

Though, I'll note that there is also the option of the Greater Doppelganger in Monsters of Faerun, if you'd like to be even more of a shape shifting infiltrator type. CR 12, so you'd only have room for a single +1 LA template, though.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 10, 2016, 04:21:24 PM
Well, you would need approval for any homebrew classes what you use but I approve the dragoon lancer on that link. Anycase you could take half-dragon template (fits for dragoon theme and gives lots more Str) as inherited template. With that you have taken 11 monster levels. So you can take +2 LA template, like half-vampire perhaps? Bit more Str and some thematic vampire powers (being offspring of vampiric dragon who trained you to become dark knight for it? Or vampiric influences come from touch of encounter with one or result of powerful necromancy or cursed artifact).

I'd go for the Lolth-Touched template, myself, when it comes to picking up acquired template for boosting Strength.  That could lead to some interesting possible roleplaying options, too, I think. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

Consume identity is quite strong ability, does it means if greater doppleganger eats brain fo 20th level wizard, do they get said wizard spellcasting?

Kunoichi

I believe so, yes.  I don't think it would be that overpowered, given the level of play we're at, but I suppose anyone playing a Greater Doppelganger would have to promise not to abuse their incredible brain-eating powers too much, just so they wouldn't risk making the game boring for themselves.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I say they can mimic abilities to equal to their HD in any given identity (nor cross use identity powers; like while in form of wizard they cannot use another identity skills as rogue as the abilities are tied to forms they collect). So example greater doppleganger eats brain of 20th level wizard but is 13 HD, so they cast spells (and got any other features and PrC's) as if they were 13th level version of said person. Also they cannot take features which are granted by someone else or other stuff besides what rests in brain (favored soul, cleric and other divine classes are limited to 2th level spells and other abilities granted by gods cannot be taken, also sorcerer is limited to 2th level spells as powers are granted by their blood and heritage than learned).

Basically anything what person can learn with brains alone (psionics included) can be mimicked. I would find this fine balance on the otherwise powerful ability which looks very much like what illithid savant does.

ReijiTabibito

Kunoichi let me know you were looking up people to join this game.  I'm up for it, though I'll probably need more than a little bit of help in putting a character this complex together.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you can ask advice from Kunoichi how to build your monster/char. Just need solid concept and background idea to get framework to work with :)

Etherealgirl

I really like my Mind Flayer idea. But mechanically building it I'm unsure about.

Zaer Darkwail

As I mentioned above; think first background story and concept what sort monster are you? Are you creeping stalker of the night who bumps on people who then disappear without a scream heard? Are you nigthmare which creeps into dreams and drive people insane? Work from that then background how/why your mind flayer does that and such. These help build monsters mechanically quite a lot.

Muse

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 10, 2016, 10:58:01 AM

Not 5 hit dice less? 

I think we're level 14? 

Ack!  I see, I said up there that a storm ginat starts with 17 hit dice instead of 19.  ^_^;;